Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cenodoxus posted:

I'm struggling to think of a single company that's turned an open-source project into a commercial product and not ended up loving over their users at some point.

Does sqlite count?

quote:

A perpetual source code license for the SQLite Encryption Extension (SEE) costs US $2000.00. This is a one-time fee that enables you to ship as many copies of the code as you want as long as each copy is compiled and statically linked with your application

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Hockenheim posted:

It’s almost as if Microsoft is allowed to exist as it does, and do what it does, because it makes the US government happy and assuming the US Government will do anything open source is beyond “wishful thinking” and into “insanity.”

they do do open source although Microsoft does have a part
https://github.com/NationalSecurityAgency

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I'd like to note Synology also makes routers, not only NAS. I think they use the same OS. I still enjoy my rt2600!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cruft posted:

Oh I'll keep posting, I just don't think this is the right thread for, like, low resource services, FreeBSD, phpBB, self hosting email in 2024, and other "high effort, low payoff potential" research sorts of things.

I might make a new thread when I get home, if I can't find an appropriate one.

It's a good thing: it means SA has a vibrant enough community that it still needs multiple threads :)

I like it, please keep posting.

Motronic posted:

I feel like every one of your posts needs to come with a disclaimer that you're trying to do all of these things on a calculator from 2010 that needs to run on a D cell battery. Because basically every time someone says "why would you do that" it's because you're doing this that hard way for whatever reason, but there's no reason anyone else would or would expect you to be doing it that way unless they follow this thread closely and for a while and are really paying attention to your posts, which.......to be honest are often like "who cares, it's just some person doing things the hard way this is irrelevant to me, someone who just wants to get things working".
gently caress you, the op is gonna be a lot better prepared to ward off the cloudpocalypse than you with whatever you're doing. I love reading about stuff running on low powered computers in general cause when the real apocalypse hits your geforces and your xeons will be sucking up too much power to be worth running.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 14, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Quixzlizx posted:

When the "real apocalypse hits," you'll probably have more important things to do than fiddle with your nextcloud. Especially since many/most of the services discussed in this thread still require a generally functioning Internet to have any purpose.

If you aren't prepared to set up scuttlebutt on meshtastic you're not prepared

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

NetData is very easy to get running, FWIW. I'd even call it "batteries included."

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Netdata is pretty neat, but loving hell I wish it was more granular - then again, that'd also increase the probe effect that cruft was just talking about above.

I want someone to do what Sun FishWorks did, which you can see demonstrated here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4

A good setup of graphana and prometheus can kinda get you close to that, but the probe effect is much higher than it would be just using dtrace.

Yeah, I was actually trying to do something to log resource usage of a few specific processes (and ideally their threads) and I couldn't find a way to do it by PID. ended up polling ps while true and parsing the output... surely there has got to be a better way in 2024?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cruft posted:

I like pigallery2. Easy to set up, doesn't take days to index things, and when the next hot thing comes out, you can easily(?) switch to it because pigallery2 treats the images as read-only: it doesn't try to rearrange everything on disk.

e: Since like the 90s I've kept photos sorted by month they were taken. So it's like Photos/1999/04/whatever.jpg. I got photosync to use this schema easily enough.

Here's another thing I wrote, maybe someone will find it helpful. This shell script (stored as Photos/new/process.sh) sorts a directory full of jpegs (Photos/new) into my schema (Photos/$yyyy/$mm). It also transcodes the mjpeg files my camera creates into mp4 files that browsers can play, and sorts them too.

code:
#! /bin/sh

cd $(basename $0)

ls *.mov *.MOV | while read fn; do
  ffmpeg -i "$fn" -map_metadata 0 "${fn%.*}.mp4"
done

ls *.jpg *.JPG *.jpeg *.JPEG *.mp4 | while read fn; do
  exiftool '-Directory<CreateDate' -d "../%Y/%m" .
done

Inadvisable to parse ls output, might want to go with find and use -iname to match, or even just glob