Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Adolf Glitter posted:

How about Subsonic? No idea about carplay/android auto, but it has (lots) of regular android apps.
http://www.subsonic.org

-edit--
Supposedly DSub works with AA.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=github.daneren2005.dsub&hl=en_GB&gl=US

I've been happily using Subsonic for like a decade, along with the dSub app for Android. I actually had a long drive yesterday where realized dSub had support for Android Auto. It didn't work very well though, selecting "Starred" for example (to show my starred tracks) just spun indefinitely.

I do like Subsonic & dSub but I'd be curious to try something else, just since I've been using this setup for so long. The original maintainer doesn't seem to be pushing updates anymore. I saw it was forked to Airsonic, haven't checked that out though since Subsonic works fine for me and I've had a lifetime license for it for ages.

The main things I like about dSub are automatically caching starred tracks and playlists when I'm on wifi, so stuff I flag from my computer ends up on the phone. Ability to permanently cache certain albums is nice as well.

I organize my music into "Artist - Album" folders rather than "Artist/Album" so I don't really have a way to browse by artist in Subsonic, which is kind of annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

spincube posted:

I switched to using HOMER after finding Heimdall a little fiddly for my liking. It's basically bookmarks still, but it's nice to keep these in a pinned tab:

I looked into this back when Google Play Music was on its way to the Google Graveyard! I can't speak for Subsonic, but its open-source fork Airsonic has stagnated lately, having received its last update in May 2020; in fact Airsonic has been marked as 'deprecated' on its GitHub for a few months now. It still works, of course, point it at your /music and it'll work just fine, but it's getting elderly. There's a few tentative replacements floating around:
  • Airsonic-advanced is Airsonic but, well, more Advanced - more efficient, more HTML5, less Java.
  • Navidrome uses the Airsonic API - so you can still point dSub at it and it'll work - but it works on metadata, rather than the /music/artist/album directory structure, so depending on how neat your tags are it may be some work. The webapp is pretty though.
I'm still using Airsonic these days, but Navidrome is a veeerrrrry close #2; it's still under active development and still has a few rough edges (getting confused if you queue up a playlist, then try adding another song to 'play next' in the webapp, for example).

Thanks for mentioning Navidrome! It looks really nice. Very subsonic-y but with the ability to work on metadata. I recently went through my collection and fixed all the tags with MusicBrainz so hopefully I'm in good shape. Definitely going to check this out!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fletcher posted:

Thanks for mentioning Navidrome! It looks really nice. Very subsonic-y but with the ability to work on metadata. I recently went through my collection and fixed all the tags with MusicBrainz so hopefully I'm in good shape. Definitely going to check this out!

Got to play around with Navidrome last night. It was easy to setup and I'm liking it so far. I forgot that support for video files is something I like about Subsonic, so maybe I'll continue using Subsonic for video and Navidrome for music.

I also forgot about a very large collection of bootlegs I have that do not have good ID3 tags, and Navidrome doesn't seem to have the ability to browse the music collection by filesystem folders.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I suspect there's going to be a lot more people wanting to do self-hosting, since Google announced that they're shutting down the G.Suite free tier.

This is a guide on how to self-host email on FreeBSD using postfix as an MTA, dovegot as an MDA, solr as full-text search, rspamd for spam filtering, sieve for scripting/sorting inboxes, and it even includes DKIM, SPF, and DMARC.

drat! It was a good 10 years while it lasted. Self hosting email sounds like a giant pain in the butt though. One of those things that I want it to just work all the time without any effort on my part. I'll probably end up forking over the $6/mo :(

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm setting up a game server using linuxgsm in docker and I'm wondering how I should be going about backing up data.

Normally this is pretty straightforward since the data directory is typically separated from the actual app (like in MySQL for example) and you can configure where it is.

However, for this game server, the data directory is in the same directory as the installation of the game itself, which doesn't really lend itself to using a separate docker volume all that well for the data I want to backup.

So my plan right now is doing the game installation in the dockerfile, with a CMD to run a bash script that handles backing up or restoring data, and traps SIGTERM to run a backup when the container is stopped.

When I run the container with docker-compose it checks to see if there are any existing backups, if none are found then do the initial backup of whatever is stored in that data directory (essentially just creating a backup of the data created by the fresh install). However, if there is an existing backup found, then delete whatever is in that data directory, and restore the data from the latest backup. Then when the container is stopped the trap does the final backup as it's shutting down.

This seems pretty fragile though. Maybe I'd be better off not doing the game installation in the dockerfile and instead move it to my script run by CMD and have the install go to a docker volume? I'm not sure if I explained this very well :)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Good points, but if the Dockerfile is doing the game installation and populating /coolapp/config/ with crap, then wouldn't that be wiped out when docker-compose comes along and mounts it to /DockerAppData/mycoolapp/ ? (I think I forgot to mention that part in my original post)

I suppose I could handle that one time thing manually, just copy everything from /coolapp/config/ to /DockerAppData/mycoolapp/ one time and then it's always there in the volume going forward

fletcher fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 6, 2022

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

tuyop posted:

I think this is the one that makes sense, yeah.

Turns out that "one time thing manually" step is actually something that docker-compose makes a bit easier with this behavior I didn't realize:

quote:

If you start a container which creates a new volume, as above, and the container has files or directories in the directory to be mounted (such as /app/ above), the directory’s contents are copied into the volume. The container then mounts and uses the volume, and other containers which use the volume also have access to the pre-populated content.

I was able to automatically handle the behavior I want with the following script that runs before my game server starts (the game in this case is DayZ):
code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

set -x
set -e

RESTORE_FROM_HOSTNAME=$1
if [ -z "$RESTORE_FROM_HOSTNAME" ]; then
  echo "You must specify RESTORE_FROM_HOSTNAME environment variable, exiting"
  exit 1
fi

DAYZ_DATA_DIR=/home/dayzserver/serverfiles/mpmissions
INDICATOR_FILE=$DAYZ_DATA_DIR/dayzOffline.chernarusplus/my-dayz-data-indicator

if [ -f "$INDICATOR_FILE" ]; then
  echo "$INDICATOR_FILE already exists, the data in the docker volume is the live server data"
else
  echo "$INDICATOR_FILE does not exist, the data in the docker volume IS NOT the live server data"
  echo "Checking to see if a backup exists to restore for $RESTORE_FROM_HOSTNAME"
  MOST_RECENT_BACKUP=$(aws s3 ls s3://my-cool-bucket/$RESTORE_FROM_HOSTNAME/dayz/ | sort | tail -n 1 | awk '{print $4}')
  if [ -z "$MOST_RECENT_BACKUP" ]; then
    echo "No backup found! Seeding backup from initial DayZ install"
    BACKUP_FILENAME="dayz_$(date "+%Y%m%d.%H%M%S").tar.gz"
    tar czf /tmp/$BACKUP_FILENAME -C $DAYZ_DATA_DIR .
    aws s3 cp --quiet --no-progress /tmp/$BACKUP_FILENAME s3://my-cool-bucket/$RESTORE_FROM_HOSTNAME/dayz/
    rm /tmp/$BACKUP_FILENAME
  else
    echo "Backup found! Restoring backup from $MOST_RECENT_BACKUP"
    echo "Clearing existing directory $DAYZ_DATA_DIR"
    rm -rf $DAYZ_DATA_DIR/*
    aws s3 cp s3://my-cool-bucket/$RESTORE_FROM_HOSTNAME/dayz/$MOST_RECENT_BACKUP /tmp/$MOST_RECENT_BACKUP
    tar xvzf /tmp/$MOST_RECENT_BACKUP -C $DAYZ_DATA_DIR
    rm /tmp/$MOST_RECENT_BACKUP
  fi
  echo "Creating $INDICATOR_FILE"
  touch $INDICATOR_FILE
fi
So now it automatically handles the initial deploy and creating the seed backup, preserving data across container restarts, or restoring data after moving to hardware (or testing on my local machine).

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Warbird posted:

How’s the state of DayZ these days by the way? I haven’t messed with it since they first moved over to the standalone client.

I haven't played in a few years but I'm trying to convince some buddies to give it another go, figured having our own dedicated server might help with that effort. It's certainly a lot better than the early days of DayZ standalone in terms of how much smoother it runs, how much depth there is to the items and environment, etc. But it's still very buggy, you take your life into your own hands any time you go near a ladder, and vehicles seem like they are just as buggy as they always have been. Still nothing else quite like it that matches the experience of playing though!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I really wish there was a self hosted option for discord that was as fully featured. If we could even use the discord client (desktop & mobile app) with a self hosted server, that would be amazing, but I know it's impossible and would never happen. It's great that so many gamers use it, but it's annoying how expensive the premium features are to allow larger file sizes of attachments, and higher quality for streaming things. We don't use the streaming enough to justify boosting the discord server, it's more for the quick "hey check this out for a couple minutes" type of things when we're all on there already, or using some other file sharing thing for larger file sizes. Oh how I wish it was just some XMPP type thing where we had more flexibility with what client & server to use.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Not sure if this is the right thread for it but I've been thinking about finally ditching Google.

My plan would be:
  • Gogle Mail - Switch to ProtonMail. I already use a custom domain with gmail. Mobile app & web interface seems pretty good. Plan would be to update the MX records, and then use the "Import via Easy Switch" feature in ProtonMail to import my emails, calendars, and contacts.
  • Google Calendar - Switch to Proton Calendar
  • Google Docs - I have a ton of docs, slides, and sheets in here. Collabora seems...ok. Maybe Onlyoffice? Does anything make it easy to open the existing gdoc files? Or do I need to do some sort of mass conversion to another format? I frequently edit these documents both on my desktop and on phone. I toyed with the idea of using MS Office, but I don't want to have to put everything on Onedrive to be able to open it on the web version.
  • Google Drive - Switch to using Syncthing both on my android phone & desktop computer to do backups to my NAS. I don't want to expose the NAS to the internet, so the phone sync would only be done over VPN to my place. The NAS is already being backed up to Backblaze.
  • Google Photos - Switch to PhotoPrism. Haven't decided where to host it yet, maybe my colo server (which I'm also thinking about moving back to my place now that I have fiber). Being able to search for "vaccine" and have it bring up my vaccine card, or "dogs", etc is probably the feature I like most about Google Photos, but it seems PhotoPrism is able to do this as well.

Anything else I'm not thinking of? Is there anything that I'm going to really miss after this switch?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Thanks for the feedback and some things to investigate further!

Gay Retard posted:

I'd never keep important photos and files exclusively on my server - all it takes is a house fire and everything is toast. I appreciate the self hosted ethos, but you're just asking for trouble if you're not doing some sort of cloud-based redudant backup of some sort - I have rclone doing monthly encrypted backups of my Unraid config, appdata backups, docker backups, and photos and files to a Google Business Standard account.

This is good advice, that's why I mentioned the NAS is being backed up to b2. I am very paranoid about backups! I do like that my truly irreplacable stuff currently exists in 4 places: desktop, NAS, backblaze, and Google drive. I also regularly verify my backups by testing the full restore process.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

CopperHound posted:

If there isn't an official image, I usually go for something from linuxserver.io for the sake of consistency.

I have avoided official & community images. I found it pretty straight forward to just write my own Dockerfile using debian:bullseye-slim as the base and use whatever "generic linux install" steps the documentation of the app I want to use has. I like the consistency this brings to all my images. Maybe part of this is rooted in getting annoyed with trying to keep up with all the breaking changes Chef community cookbooks & Ansible community playbooks would have. Perhaps official/community docker images don't suffer from this as much. It's also nice having total control over what is installed on the thing though, from a security perspective.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

TVGM posted:

Some relief for those who haven't moved their domain or email yet:
https://9to5google.com/2022/05/16/no-cost-legacy-g-suite/

Ah drat! Thanks for the link. I already migrated, looks like I can contact support to go back to the legacy free edition according to that article.

Though, I've already begun working on migrating away from Google. I think I will probably continue that effort anyways.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

IOwnCalculus posted:

Damnit, I already moved off as well

The good news is that switching back to G Suite legacy free edition is fully automated and it only took like 15 seconds for me to do!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Has anybody here tried https://cryptpad.fr/ as a Google Docs replacement?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

CopperHound posted:

I think the thing you might miss is just how much google integrates sharing of everything with one sign on.

It is possible to use a single sign on front end with nextcloud, but photoprism is not multiuser and only supports link sharing.

The SSO stuff is hard for me to comprehend, but I did get allauth working for nextcloud.

e: I take that back it was "Authentik"

It is really handy being able to share certain Google Docs, Sheets, and Photos with friends easily, since pretty much everybody uses gmail. That experience seems very very hard to replicate with a secure self-hosted option. I think you are right about that probably being the thing that I will miss most.

I still want to play around with PhotoPrism to see how it goes. I still can't decide where to run it though. The two options I'm considering:
1. On my colocated server, which runs websites & game servers that are publicly accessible to the web. Though I take every reasonable measure I can to secure it, there's still a (very unlikely) chance of getting pwned by some 0day.
2. On my NAS in a VM (install & maintenance in a jail seems to cumbersome). I think I prefer having the NAS just be a NAS though, and not doing other things.

All my photos would exist in a minimum of three places no matter what (desktop computer, NAS, and backblaze w/ append only keys). Phone would syncthing the photo reel to my NAS over VPN.

I've been considering moving the colo server back home since I now have a 3 Gbps fiber connection that also came with a separate 1 Gbps connection (both are symmetrical). The connections use slightly different IP addresses, but I'm still weary of exposing my home IP address to the internet, which seems impossible to avoid when game servers are involved, unlike with the cloudflare discussion earlier for https stuff.

So maybe I keep the colo server running public stuff, and get a separate server for at home running all my "personal" apps like subsonic, photoprism, etc which would use the 1 Gbps connection. The colo server is a loud little 1U anyways, so maybe I could go with a quieter 4U build for the home rack. I think I've talked myself into that writing this post...but one of my justifications of splurging on this Gigabit Pro connection at home was that I'd save the $80/mo I was spending on the colo :(

drat you Google for making your ecosystem so sticky!

fletcher fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 7, 2022

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My CI/CD pipeline for self hosted stuff at home basically consists of the following stages:
* Test stuff: Run terraform to spin up a EC2 instance for testing, run ansible, run docker-compose, run sanity checks, tear down test instance
* Deploy stuff: Run ansible to install & config stuff, run docker-compose to start my apps

I like the simplicity of it and it seems to work well. I know there's a million different ways to do this stuff, but is there anything compelling I'm missing out on with this way of doing things?

The only thing I'm not a big fan of are the way secrets are managed. Currently they are defined as secret repository variables and get fed into the build when the pipeline runs.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been using Syncthing on my phone to upload my Camera folder to my NAS in "Send Only" mode. I copied a bunch of additional photos to this folder that were on my desktop and now Syncthing on my phone says "Out of Sync" with a button to override changes. I don't to override the changes though, I just want this folder on my NAS to have all the photos, and for my phone to have only a subset of them. Is there some other way I should be going about this?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Found the answer, syncthing does not support this use case: https://forum.syncthing.net/t/understanding-override-changes-button-can-it-go-when-default-is-send-only/15889

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Neslepaks posted:

FWIW I use Nextcloud to sync photos and though it has many warts of its own it's fine with what you describe.

Thanks! That was the solution I was going to try next. I looked at Seafile and Resilio Sync as well, the reviews seemed mixed on them.

It's a bummer though, Syncthing works so well. I just wish it had a checkbox to support this particular use case. It still falls short on the google drive/photos experience of being able to browse your files whether or not they are synced locally yet, and automatically downloading a particular file or photo at the point you open it on the device.

Nextcloud seems pretty heavy weight though, having to run the php app, database, and web server.

For the files synced by Nextcloud, do they appear as just normal files on the filesystem of the server? That's what turned me off of Seafile, that it stores your files in a database.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

odiv posted:

Yep, they're my registrar and have been for years.

Was on call over the holidays so got a little extra money on my paycheque I'm going to use to buy one of those fanless, 5-6 ethernet port, computers so I can roll my own router.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004336924039.html

Am currently thinking VyOS on proxmox. Wish me luck!

I was a fan of Gandi for a long time but I jumped ship over their handling of this situation: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22001822

I transferred all my domains to AWS

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Corb3t posted:

I know I recommended Photoprism for photo backups a few days ago, but I just came across this great Google photos ripoff called Immich.

It supports:
Google Photos-like WebUI
Live photos
Background Uploads (that are actually good and don't pause randomly like most other services)
Machine learning for recognizing subjects
iOS app (and Android, of course)

I can't stress how important it is to keep something like photos backed up in an offsite location using Amazon Photos, Google Photos, or iCloud, but this is a great way for NAS-based photo backups with minimal hand-holding once it's setup.

I was interested in trying this out after seeing it discussed recently on reddit but not being able to import an existing directory structure of photos was holding me back. Looks like they are working on it though:

PhotoPrism has been meeting my needs, I've been happy to support them. I just wish the ML was a little better at recognizing things!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
For the security topic that was discussed recently and avoiding running things as root - is it ok to start as root and relying on an apps ability to switch user?

For example with mumble, I use a letsencrypt cert via certbot, which needs privileges to:

quote:

This include Certbot’s --work-dir, --logs-dir, and --config-dir. By default these are /var/lib/letsencrypt, /var/log/letsencrypt, and /etc/letsencrypt respectively.

Mumble can switch users on startup with the uname config parameter. Is that sufficient? Similar for nginx with the user directive.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Mr. Crow posted:

Nextcloud is pretty worthless to be honest I wish it would stop being recommended in self hosting circles.

I use it for contact syncing because its about the only thing it does reliably and I'm too lazy to set something else up for it at this point.

Is there anything else that's a viable Google Drive alternative for the selective sync that stores everything on the filesystem as normal files though? Nextcloud was the only thing I've come across that ticks those boxes. It's been working great for me.

The Maps plugin doesn't seem to be a good alternative to Google Maps saved locations & timeline history though, which is a bummer. Their News app (RSS reader) hasn't been a compelling alternative to Newsblur, so I continue to pay for that. Photos app is fine for very basic functionality but Photoprism/Immich/etc seem to be more compelling alternatives.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Mr. Crow posted:

I dunno cause it doesn't work. Leave a file untouched or don't open the app for a week and all of a sudden nothing is on your device anymore and lol if you were expecting to use it outside of cell service.

I gave up and use syncthing, it suits my needs much better and more importantly is reliable.

Syncthing is certainly good at what it does, I don't think it fits the Google Drive use case though.

For example, I've got a Documents folder on my desktop computer. Let's say it's 250GB. I want this backed up, and occasionally access files in there from my phone. Google Drive does this perfectly. Syncthing does not, unless I sync everything in Documents to my phone.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Aware posted:

Seafile appears on paper to fit the bill with local clients for Windows/Mac/android and iOS - perhaps check that out?

I looked into Seafile but it appears to store data in a proprietary format, so I'm forced to use their client app or FUSE extension. It's nice just being able to use Samba, NFS, rsync, etc with the data I have in Nextcloud, since it's just the actual files stored on the filesystem.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Are there any self-hosted imgur clones? Not looking to open something up for public use, this would just be for personal use.

I came across picsur and it looked promising: https://github.com/caramelfur/picsur

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I don't want my publically accessible image hosting to be anywhere near my Nextcloud & Photoprism that I use for personal photos. I don't need thumbnail generation or any of that. Just want to be able to upload photos and have it spit out some bbcode tags to copy/paste. Simple album support is a nice to have, like imgur offers. Most of those listed seem like overkill for this use case.

My only gripe with Picsur (at least from the demo) is that it doesn't preserve filenames. I never liked that about imgur either. Remember filenames?? Sometimes they would even be the punchline of a joke!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I've been playing around with zipline in conjunction with the ShareX app & browser extension, it's pretty nice so far. Though it's missing the ability to generate bbcode so hopefully I can find some time to submit a PR. Some video previews would also be nice

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

The author of TT-RSS is an 11/10 rear end in a top hat, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find another alternative I like. I use the filtering rules extensively along with some plugins to inline articles into the reader even if they've got "read more" links, remove articles with keywords I don't care about, etc.

I tried out a few of the self-hosted RSS reader options but the newsblur webapp and mobile app work so darn well, and none of the self-hosted options I've come across has been compelling enough to make a switch.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Chevy Slyme posted:

One other thing you can do to add a bit more security/peace of mind, is hook the camera up to a smart outlet, and set up said smart outlet to turn off when you’re at home. Essentially, the camera is only powered up when there’s nobody around but the dogs.

It would be a bummer for an incident to occur when you're at home and the cameras are off though, and you don't end up with any footage of it.

There can be funny things that happen too while you're at home that are fun to save a clip of.

Blue Iris + IPTV cameras seems to be a popular option. Securely syncing off-site to something like backblaze would be helpful as well, depending on the type of incident you are hoping to capture on video, like if your NAS is stolen.

I went the Ubiquiti Protect route with their cameras, with off-site backups via unifi-protect-backup. Probably more expensive than the alternative, but they do have a pretty slick web & mobile interface for the cameras. I use an 8TB SSD for local video storage which holds about 22 days of footage from 9x 1080p cameras and 1x 4K camera and scrubbing through videos is lightning fast

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I've been doing a lot of stuff on my own server in my office for a while, but I wonder whether there's anything that can be hosted remotely that's more practical, like on Digital Ocean. Has anyone here had a situation where they found it more convenient to spin a service up remotely for cheap rather than dealing with NAT and reverse proxies?

Nothing like Plex or other media, of course.

Once you have all the provisioning scripted via anslbe, docker, etc it's easy to host either on a home server, remote VM, or colocated server. $80/mo gets me 2U with a 1 Gbps connection and 200 watts of power in a California based datacenter (https://dedicated.com/). I found it to be more cost effective to use my own hardware rather than a VM, the break even point was about 2-3 years to cover the initial cost of the hardware, for an 8 core box, 128GB ram, and 32TB of storage.

I prefer having anything publicly accessible outside of my home network, so I host those on a remote colocated server that lives in a datacenter. For things that are private just for me, I host them at home behind a VPN because I have fiber and solar.

There's no way I'm gonna hand over my unencrypted traffic to some third party like Cloudflare.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Aware posted:

For the same price roughly I just pay OVH for a 6c12t/64gb ram/1tb nvme server in my city which I run proxmox on and a bunch of VMs and containers. I just use a mikrotik VM in front of them with wireguard access to a common mgmt network. I sometimes think about paying more for storage and running Plex there but I think thats better off at home for a few reasons.

The key for mine was the storage and latency. Since I host game servers on it, I wanted it to be located in California where I live, which reduces the number of options quite a bit. I also found that if you want 32TB of storage and a modern CPU, it gets expensive pretty quick if you are renting the hardware. That's what led me to purchase my own hardware and do the colocation.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Resdfru posted:

Self hosting photos is one thing I decided to never do cause I didn't wanna be responsible for it. So I pay Google for a couple terabytes and call it a day. But lately I've been worrying over Google killing photos or something so I've been considering self hosting a back up of Google photos

Hope you don't need the location data for your photos outside of google: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/80379228

I use PhotoPrism, which I'm a paid supporter of. Immich looks cool but I don't like that it wants to reorganize my files on the filesystem for me. I like my folder structure exactly the way it is!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

cruft posted:

Tell me more about PhotoPrism. It's checking a lot of my boxes, and some rando on the forums willing to pay money for it is a stronger endorsement than anything else I've run across.

Does it support multiple users with their own (private) albums?

My use case is only single user, but my understanding is that they've recently released some multi-user support with an eventual goal of multi-library support. I haven't followed it too closely though, so my intel may be bad here. I've seen some recent posts about it on /r/photoprism (which the maintainers are quite active on as well).

People seem to be flipping out about how they are paywalling premium features. I am fine with it. I want the maintainers to be able to live comfortably and continue to improve the software. It certainly falls short of the advanced AI features in Google Photos, being able to search for things that are in the images themselves, facial recognition, etc. The photoprism equivalent of that stuff is certainly not at slick as Google's, but it does exist: https://docs.photoprism.app/developer-guide/metadata/classification/

Development is active, they seem to have long term sustainability in mind, they have good principals about owning your data, etc. For that reason I am happy to support the project and hope to see it continue to be a more compelling alternative to Google Photos. I think it is quite good in the state is is currently in, but I do find myself missing just how well Google Photos is able to do things.

For syncing photos, I use Nextcloud (which I require VPN to access). So it's a little cumbersome. Of course, that is a trade-off we are usually willing to make in the self hosting world!

For now, I continue to use both Photoprism and Google Photos, and hopefully one day I find that I am no longer compelled to search for something in Google Photos :)

Blurb3947 posted:

Here's a weird one, anyone use some sort of kanban system for home poo poo? I've tried things like reminders or LifeRPG but nothing has really stuck.

Oh yes definitely. I use Trello, but it's been something that I'd like to switch to a self hosted solution. I've tried out a few different options (there are plenty in this space...) but haven't quite made the plunge on using one. The trello web & mobile interface is pretty slick. Same reason I still continue to use Newsblur over some of the self-hosted RSS reader solutions.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

tuyop posted:

anyone have any recommendations for like, a self-hosted youtube?

I have some copies of documentaries and stuff that are no longer available on youtube or anywhere, and I'd like to host them so students can still watch them at home. My upload and hardware should be adequate but the awesome-selfhosted page makes it hard to decide! https://github.com/awesome-selfhosted/awesome-selfhosted#media-streaming---video-streaming

Thinking Objecto or Streama maybe...

Oh and I don't want to manage a Plex server for my students or anything.

Honestly, a directory listing of mp4 files may suffice here.

I did look into some of the self-hosted youtube clones a while back and this one seemed pretty nice, I never actually tried it out though: https://github.com/mediacms-io/mediacms

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

hogofwar posted:

Does anyone use Ansible to easily set up their proxmox VMs? I'm wondering how I could do it to replicate what I currently have, do I need to make VM templates?

Yup! I don't make any changes to the VMs manually. I commit things to git and my CI/CD pipeline runs Ansible on my VMs to apply the changes.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Warbird posted:

That’s because it is. Docker Swarm should be looked into first as it does more or less what you’re looking for but isn’t an experience akin to slamming your hog in a car door to maintain and set up. If you’re not an enterprise setup you likely don’t need K8s.

This said, you’d do well to look into to High Availability (HA) setups for your app of choice to see if it even plays nice in that sort of setup. If it’s not meant for that sort of architecture then it’s likely going to become a job in and of itself to get to play nice.

I would say that high availability is not really necessary for self hosted apps. Disaster recovery, on the other hand, is definitely necessary.

Meaning, if your machine burns to the ground, it should be fairly trivial to spin up a new one without too much hassle. Maybe it takes an hour and a few manual steps - that's OK for self hosted poo poo.

I would focus more on having backups, a scripted way of provisioning the server, and verifying that your disaster recover process works. The last part is very important, so you don't find out your DR process doesn't work at the point a disaster has already occurred.

Gitlab Pipelines, Ansible, Docker, and some AWS CLI commands to interact with S3 is my solution for that.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I also have a hard "browse by folder" requirement & web based front-end, and went down a similar path as you. I've still just been using the OG Subsonic & DSub for my mobile needs. Subsonic hasn't been updated in ages and airsonic-advanced was too glitchy for me. gonic looks pretty nice, I will have to check that out.

I assume you've gone through the https://github.com/basings/selfhosted-music-overview on your quest many times by now

Supersonic looks nice for a web front-end...but no browser by folder support yet! Rats.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Quixzlizx posted:

Thanks for the replies. I asked a friend to test them out, and my external ip on http times out, https gives a secure connection failed error, external ip on http and port 443 is "Client sent an http request to an https server," and https with port 443 is SSL_ERROR_INTERNAL_ERROR_ALERT.

So it seems like the connections are still happening, but they're not being authenticated because there's no cert to engage with in my config file outside of the defined rules for my domain.

What about "curl -k https://ip" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ToxicFrog posted:

Needs a functional browser client too, and Jellyfin's music functionality is, well, I wouldn't call it "functional" for day to day use.

None of the emoji on that page render for me, which makes reading it somewhat difficult.

After some rummaging (and chatting with the gonic dev for a while), I think the solution I'm drifting towards is:
- gonic on the backend
--- needs a patch to support importing of audio files like trackers that TagLib doesn't support
--- needs a custom PATH so that when it uses `ffmpeg` to transcode things it calls a wrapper that can invoke different tools for different formats, rather than blindly calling ffmpeg with the same arguments on everything
- airsonic-refix on the frontend
--- browse-by-file support is available in a PR here
--- some other functionality (play entire high-level directory/artist/genre, album art in browse by file mode) is missing compared to the stock UI but I can do without that if needed

Probably going to do some hacking on that on the weekend and we'll see how it turns out.

How have things been going with your airsonic-refix & gonic solution? Looks like that browse-by-file support got merged, but the author ended up creating a fork xonic-ui: https://github.com/archekb/xonic-ui