Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Gay Retard posted:

I also really enjoy...

Heimdall - An easy to setup dashboard for all of your self hosted web applications.

I switched to using HOMER after finding Heimdall a little fiddly for my liking. It's basically bookmarks still, but it's nice to keep these in a pinned tab:

fletcher posted:

I've been happily using Subsonic for like a decade, along with the dSub app for Android. I actually had a long drive yesterday where realized dSub had support for Android Auto. It didn't work very well though, selecting "Starred" for example (to show my starred tracks) just spun indefinitely.

I do like Subsonic & dSub but I'd be curious to try something else, just since I've been using this setup for so long. The original maintainer doesn't seem to be pushing updates anymore. I saw it was forked to Airsonic, haven't checked that out though since Subsonic works fine for me and I've had a lifetime license for it for ages.

I looked into this back when Google Play Music was on its way to the Google Graveyard! I can't speak for Subsonic, but its open-source fork Airsonic has stagnated lately, having received its last update in May 2020; in fact Airsonic has been marked as 'deprecated' on its GitHub for a few months now. It still works, of course, point it at your /music and it'll work just fine, but it's getting elderly. There's a few tentative replacements floating around:
  • Airsonic-advanced is Airsonic but, well, more Advanced - more efficient, more HTML5, less Java.
  • Navidrome uses the Airsonic API - so you can still point dSub at it and it'll work - but it works on metadata, rather than the /music/artist/album directory structure, so depending on how neat your tags are it may be some work. The webapp is pretty though.
I'm still using Airsonic these days, but Navidrome is a veeerrrrry close #2; it's still under active development and still has a few rough edges (getting confused if you queue up a playlist, then try adding another song to 'play next' in the webapp, for example).

Karate Bastard posted:

My setup is megastupid :) it's just dlna in my home. I put poo poo on the rpi and then -and here is the kicker- I can play it! When I want to! Doesn't matter what spotify jerk had what disagreement with what music producer asshat that week. My transaction is done, my media's on my media, on my network, which works, so suck it!

It sounds silly but, I don't bother with 'streaming outside the home' - my feeble caveman brain just gives up on certs and A records and DDNS, and goes off to roast a pig on a spit instead - but Jellyfin still works just fine as a nice metadata wrapper for the stuff that lives on my NAS. Saves burrowing around in directory structures, and it sort of replaces that 'vacantly staring at the back of a DVD box' feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Linuxserver.io also maintain - among others, they're fantastic - a Secure Web Application Gateway (S.W.A.G.) container that combines nginx, fail2ban, and certbot, so it's almost 'security in a box'.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've found a nice Android app that can stream music from a few self-hosted applications: https://symfonium.app It's paid, with a full seven-day trial.

In my experience so far it plays really, really well with a Navidrome install, and offers a few choice features on top: like smart playlists, and falling back to an offline cache, and I appreciate being able to remove parts of the UI that I'll never use.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dyscrasia posted:

Does anyone deal with https on their internal networks? I know I could buy a domain name and use let's encrypt with a reverse proxy. While at work I would do this, it just seems like a lot of work for internal only service at home..

If you're only accessing something from inside your home network, like your use case is 'getting Plex/Emby/Jellyfin/etc from NAS to TV' or 'occasionally checking the Pi you use as a torrent box', I wouldn't bother with https or even a domain; just add the 192.168.x.x to your bookmarks or something, or use a startpage like flame on a port you'll easily remember.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Any suggestions for an Android RSS reader that'll sync up with a selfhosted FreshRSS instance?

I can sort of get by with the mobile web interface, but a dedicated app would be ideal.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

Feeder should do.

gariig posted:

I use FocusReader which is $7/year, it's fine. I did have one called ReadYou from fdroid that worked at some point but doesn't today.

Thanks, both of these seem to do the trick. I've flipped a coin and gone with FocusReader for now.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The only solution I've found is to find a Nitter instance that supports RSS (e.g. instance.tld/username/rss), and leave your reader to ping it every hour or whatever until the instance wakes up from being rate-limited. It's no good for up-to-the-minute stuff, of course, but for skimming through a feed at the end of the day it's functional enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Could be. I don't have the stomach for it myself, for the same reason I don't self-host my email - feels like trying to access Twitter on my own terms, without an account, is only going to get more inconvenient as time goes on: and I'll deal with the infrequent 'service' if it means offloading that onto someone else.