Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

ikanreed posted:

Worf was a totally unnecessary addition to ds9's cast and story.

You don't need to job for the jem heddar: everyone gets the threat posed by "hyper-loyal clone army" instinctively

"I cannot go over this Klingon. I can only shoot on him. And that... doesn't work for me, brother."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

That DICK! posted:

but thats stupid as gently caress, jean-luc!

Always bugged me. Reversing course would 99% be something that they would do if they discovered the paradox, which means they have never tried it

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Another thing that bugged me is that the options were to use the tractor beam or decompress the shuttle bay....

Porque no los dos?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Blistex posted:

Always bugged me. Reversing course would 99% be something that they would do if they discovered the paradox, which means they have never tried it

That's the trick about a time loop though, once you're stuck you can't escape because even though events are pre-determined you still can't see the future so it's impossible to say which decisions lead to the loop condition. Crazy out-of-the-box ideas are just as likely to be the reason you're in the loop as dully plowing forwards, and without knowledge of what previous iterations' decisions were or what the consequences of your decisions right now will be you're stuck in an impossible situation.

Of course, they do break out because that barrier does in fact break down and fore/past knowledge leaks into the loop and they're able to exploit that since it's not a perfect trap, just a really unpleasant natural phenomena. In this particular story, they broke the loop by indicating which decision at the crucial moment was the right choice. It's entirely possible that they could have broken the loop by indicating to the next iteration to 'turn back' or maybe realized after a few iterations that they've actually made these same decisions (not just not knowing and knowing they don't know) and decide to do something else but that's now how it turned out.

It's a fantastic episode, one of the high points of the series imho.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
One of my friends is a huge Shakespeare buff, and we were out at a bar in New York when he spotted Patrick Stewart across the room. He said "I'm gonna go tell him I'm a fan" and I said "I don't think that's a great idea..."

He went over and came back chuckling, and told me he said "Mr. Stewart I'm such a huge fan of yours. I just wanted you to know..." And P-Stew grimaced and swore and got all pissy saying he doesn't give autographs and he's just trying to enjoy his time. My friend continues "...that I saw your King Lear in the West End last year and thought it was an excellent rendition." [or something]

Stewart immediately grinned and said "oh thank god you're not a Star Trek fan!" And chatted with my friend for a minute. This was back in like 2010 too. I can't imagine he's happier about Trekkies now

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I mean, you're going to make any actor's day by telling them you loved them as King Lear.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
True, and I'm sure his performance was actually really good too.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

josh04 posted:

I mean, you're going to make any actor's day by telling them you loved them as King Lear.

At least, provided they have actually played King Lear.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Angepain posted:

At least, provided they have actually played King Lear.

Which it turns out Patrick Stewart has not. The plot thickens!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I said "or something" because I am not the Shakespeare buff (obviously)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Did you know the Federation has clone troopers:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Arcturian posted:

A massive militaristic society, the Arcturians are the race which provides the infantry for the Federation. Their home planet is enormous and likewise their population – over 100 billion strong at last count. Therefore, producing an army of 20 billion overnight is a snap for them. There is, however, one problem. Since all Arcturians are produced by cloning they all look alike. They have overcome this problem easily by using a color coded designation for regiment and rank. But woe to the poor Federation general who suffers from color blindness."

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

they named the guinan bar 10 on forward avenue

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I ate at a restaurant in Beverly Hills and my coworker had to deal with me being really excited Kelsey Grammar was a few tables over…entirely because of his cameo in Cause and Effect.

Later on I was in the shitter and “got” to hear him bitch about women to his friend for a couple minutes (Shatner isn’t the only rear end that’s appeared on Trek).

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

Did you know the Federation has clone troopers:

Star trek like a lot of more pop sci-fi stuff is really bad at numbers. Which is fine, as like as if someone just wants to write a short entertaining story based in a sci fi place then you know, they shouldn't have to of read dozens of papers published in science journals to make sure everything checks out. All cool and good. But yeah he numbers are usually jank as hell if you think about them more then second or two.

The big brain writers don't use numbers or just use made up measurement units. If you know your not going to get it right usually best not to try and fake it.

"Oh that species has a class M sized population. Oh god are there a lot of them! Very Tribble like!!!!"

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
The time when Worf was not a merry man.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

David Pratt posted:

The time when Worf was not a merry man.

https://i.imgur.com/1UnCsK9.gifv

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pascallion posted:

(Shatner isn’t the only rear end that’s appeared on Trek).

Which of them would win a humongous rear end contest?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
That time they had to get the cheese to sickbay.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
How many things turned out to be the fault/result/output of incorporeal energy creatures? I remember that being a convenient source of blame.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Worf and a geriatric Klingon who fought Kirk once (I think it was the guy from Errand of Mercy?) once went on a quest to find the legendary Sword of Kahless, an Excalibur-type cultural artifact of the Klingon people, lost for millennia, which would grant whoever held it de facto rulership of the Klingon Empire.

Predictably, upon finding it after a series of D&D style dungeon puzzles, everyone loses their minds and gets drunk on power at the thought of claiming the throne and get paranoid about stealing it from each other. Eventually they decide that the Klingons aren't ready for this divisive power, and hide the sword away again. When the Klingons are responsible enough to wield it, it will be found again.

Note that they hid it by just jettisoning the thing out an airlock into interstellar space, so... yeah that poo poo's never gonna be found again :lol:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Given how good sensors are in Star Trek when they're not required to stuff it up for the plot to work, I feel like it'd be totally findable if you knew roughly where it was jettisoned out the airlock.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Asterite34 posted:

Worf and a geriatric Klingon who fought Kirk once (I think it was the guy from Errand of Mercy?) once went on a quest to find the legendary Sword of Kahless, an Excalibur-type cultural artifact of the Klingon people, lost for millennia, which would grant whoever held it de facto rulership of the Klingon Empire.

Predictably, upon finding it after a series of D&D style dungeon puzzles, everyone loses their minds and gets drunk on power at the thought of claiming the throne and get paranoid about stealing it from each other. Eventually they decide that the Klingons aren't ready for this divisive power, and hide the sword away again. When the Klingons are responsible enough to wield it, it will be found again.

Note that they hid it by just jettisoning the thing out an airlock into interstellar space, so... yeah that poo poo's never gonna be found again :lol:

in a critical moment in star trek picard season 2 worf is going to put his hand out and catch it like mjolnir

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

That DICK! posted:

in a critical moment in star trek picard season 2 worf is going to put his hand out and catch it like mjolnir

And then Gowron will discommondate Worf (again) and take it from him.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

If I could make an image the thread title

https://twitter.com/NoContextTrek/status/1488240719802384389

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asterite34 posted:

Taurus II! Sadly it's only in the Animated Series, and they literally drain the life energy out of men until they're shriveled husks because weird genre fiction misogyny

The Voyager episode that did the same thing.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Salt vampires!!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

El Spamo posted:

Salt vampires!!

You rang?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zesty posted:

The Voyager episode that did the same thing.

https://i.imgur.com/VAO0HNj.gifv

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats gonna be the weirdest smooch of your life

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The salty slurp :o:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The fishy french

Barudak
May 7, 2007

An M113 Makeout

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Doesn't hold a candle to the OG player:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

A lonely Federation scientist on a remote outpost spent years loving this thing.

Yes it's a shapeshifter, but he knew what it really looked like

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Asterite34 posted:

A lonely Federation scientist on a remote outpost spent years loving this thing.

like you wouldn't

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Asterite34 posted:

It's a really hosed up story from the monster's perspective. "You'll give me the food I need to survive, and in exchange I let you what?"

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
The real funny part is that the Federation is still using salt tablets.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Doesn't hold a candle to the OG player:

"Bones" was a verb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Animal-Mother posted:

"Bones" was a verb

One of Jadzia's previous hosts hosed him. Apparently he has the hands of a surgeon :V