Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Perceval was celebate bro are you talking about some scrub tier Lancelot that can't even seek the grail?

E: :lmao: this post started with Gawain, then Galahad, but I couldn't remember the virgin of the seekers. Then I just looked it up and realized that I was technically right three times and I! I am the virgin.

Soul Dentist fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Is anyone but Arthur and Merlin not a Mary Sue in those stories?!?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Brawnfire posted:

Mordred?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

wdarkk posted:

It's still hilarious to me that an OC do not steal knight who's better than all the other knights became part of Arthurian canon not once but twice.

I get a tremendous laugh out of the fact Arthurian legend seems to literally be just a particular fanfic genre that gets its reputation merely from how long it's been going. I wonder what other similar set of legends like that exist (Robin Hood, maybe?).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I like it when Arthur and Robin Hood get mixed together. Gives me classic LEGO feels

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Sir Balin, the "Knight of Two Swords," who goes on a quest to defeat an evil knight and heal a blind kid, and in the process of doing that:

-lops off the evil Knight's head mid-dinner party at the guy's brother's castle, leading to a Benny Hill style chase scene
-stabs the Fisher King in the dick with the Lance of Longinus, an act of such blasphemy that it demolishes the castle and turns the surrounding kingdom into a cursed wasteland
-gets in a duel with his own brother via a case of mistaken identity, resulting in both their deaths
-never actually went back and healed that blind kid from the start of the story :lmao:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That's so Balin

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Pellinor eventually befriends the Hunting Beast

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pellinor was hilarious in Once and Future King

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Lol forgot what thread we're in

E:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Soul Dentist posted:

Perceval was celebate bro are you talking about some scrub tier Lancelot that can't even seek the grail?

E: :lmao: this post started with Gawain, then Galahad, but I couldn't remember the virgin of the seekers. Then I just looked it up and realized that I was technically right three times and I! I am the virgin.

What are you talking about? Gawain gets mad pussy, being one of the original pre-norman Knights. Bors gets to go along with virgins Perceval and Galahad on account of only having had sex once and feeling bad about it.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Soul Dentist posted:

Do you not remember Monty Python and the Holy Grail? Especially the part with Castle Anthrax and Sir Galahad, the Chaste?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

which arthurian knight corresponds to each TNG cast member???

lancelot is riker obv

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Worf is Sir Kay

Deanna Troi is Sir Tristan

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Jazerus posted:

which arthurian knight corresponds to each TNG cast member???

lancelot is riker obv

Have you seen Frakes lately? He's less Sir Lancelot and more Sir Cumference.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
i lol'd

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
lady of the lake is the borg queen
mordred is shinzon
merlin is Q

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

So Picard will end with the Borg Queen sealing Merlin in a cave?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Who is the squirrel that falls in love with arthur

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

So Picard will end with the Borg Queen sealing Merlin in a cave?

God I hope so

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I meant to say Q there but Merlin would be way loving cooler

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MadDogMike posted:

I get a tremendous laugh out of the fact Arthurian legend seems to literally be just a particular fanfic genre that gets its reputation merely from how long it's been going. I wonder what other similar set of legends like that exist (Robin Hood, maybe?).

It's literally all just fanfic all the way down

Asterite34 posted:

Sir Balin, the "Knight of Two Swords," who goes on a quest to defeat an evil knight and heal a blind kid, and in the process of doing that:

-lops off the evil Knight's head mid-dinner party at the guy's brother's castle, leading to a Benny Hill style chase scene
-stabs the Fisher King in the dick with the Lance of Longinus, an act of such blasphemy that it demolishes the castle and turns the surrounding kingdom into a cursed wasteland
-gets in a duel with his own brother via a case of mistaken identity, resulting in both their deaths
-never actually went back and healed that blind kid from the start of the story :lmao:

A shitload of arthurian myth is basically an ultraviolent, magical Always Sunny episode

Knights are all massive drama queens

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Funny enough Arthurian legend reminds me of early fanfiction from Star Trek or like Forgotten Realms universes where the story was obviously just lifted straight from a role playing campaign and the characters are all the players. You can almost hear the writer making POW BOOM SWOOSH noises while they bang their miniatures together in battle

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I've often wondered if a particularly raucous retelling ever became codified, like maybe in 111 some dude got picked out of an audience to represent Slain Knight but instead he does some cool finishing move and prevails and everyone's like "holy poo poo, write that down, that's canon now"

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Angepain posted:

Who is the squirrel that falls in love with arthur

q

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Soul Dentist posted:

Funny enough Arthurian legend reminds me of early fanfiction from Star Trek or like Forgotten Realms universes where the story was obviously just lifted straight from a role playing campaign and the characters are all the players. You can almost hear the writer making POW BOOM SWOOSH noises while they bang their miniatures together in battle

My white whale is to get someone to run a game of King Arthur Pendragon (by the late great Greg Stafford) which is literally this. Like D&D but the only class is 'Knight' and there are game mechanics about being a massive drama queen.

Actually a lot to be said about how myths and legends develop from doing research and comparing to modern equivalents. Look at say, franchises like Transformers and Ninja Turtles, where reboots use the same or similar character names and designs but in different contexts and arrangements, incorporating new ideas and bringing back old ones as the authors see fit.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

And how certain characters become conflated or merged or associated through similar traits. You see a lot of that nowadays, like adapting a narrative to a different format might make you simplify and mash a character into another's plotline and erase the latter. Or the old character has associations that are subverted with a new archetype taking in his or her mantle.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Some sort of modern "role" playing where multiple people fill those roles. Like a "doctor" or an "engineer" or a "captain" or a "sentient parasite" or something

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

Some sort of modern "role" playing where multiple people fill those roles. Like a "doctor" or an "engineer" or a "captain" or a "sentient parasite" or something

Ah yes, the Neelix Jungian Archetype

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Jazerus posted:

pretty sure that the first one of those was one of those ancient greek dialogues where the author imagines having a debate with some other philosopher and completely owns them with FACTS and REASON

Thrasymachus Was Right

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've always been amused that in The Motion Picture, Kirk and his entire crew watch Epsilon IX get annihilated by V'ger on the viewscreen. Then, rather than giving a pep talk to soothe the crew's nerves, Kirk just barks "Pre-launch count down begins in 40 minutes" and leaves. Kirk is a dick in the movie and it fits with him becoming an admiral between TOS and the movie.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

viewer OFF

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Asterite34 posted:

You know how the popular perception of Kirk as a huge horndog is largely not from the actual show and is just a big memetic game of telephone?

McCoy is that for real

Dax hosed McCoy at least once and would be down for another go. Also had it bad for Spock.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've always been amused that in The Motion Picture, Kirk and his entire crew watch Epsilon IX get annihilated by V'ger on the viewscreen. Then, rather than giving a pep talk to soothe the crew's nerves, Kirk just barks "Pre-launch count down begins in 40 minutes" and leaves. Kirk is a dick in the movie and it fits with him becoming an admiral between TOS and the movie.

I pointed out in another thread Kirk was an admiral in II and III and the Enterprise and her crew got the most screwed up by his mistakes in those films. Starfleet admirals; best fired out the airlock if they try to board.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
My friends and I have a theory and Janeway was made an Admiral so that A) She wouldn't loose anymore experimental ships and B) She made so many mistakes she earned the rank of a Starfleet Admiral.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

MadDogMike posted:

I pointed out in another thread Kirk was an admiral in II and III and the Enterprise and her crew got the most screwed up by his mistakes in those films. Starfleet admirals; best fired out the airlock if they try to board.

Not raising the shields as the Reliant was approaching has to be one of the worst and most egregious, too. To be fair, though, I do like the fact that the movies were willing to depict Kirk as mortal (making boneheaded mistakes, growing older) and the darker side of his ambitious nature.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

wasn't like most of the high command alien space worms in tng

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

i think riker exploded the yeerk's head just before he managed to infest everybody

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ChubbyChecker posted:

Given what jerks they were even when NOT hyper-space worms does it matter? I'm surprised they can get half the ships to report back to Starfleet Command when 95% of the time you see them they're there to haul them before a tribunal or tell them what lovely crews they've been. You'd think they'd have capital class vessels going AWOL all the time and just defecting off to some colony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I am here to defend the honor of this guy.