Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

What the gently caress is up with the size of that second “s”? All of the letter look like they are different sizes.

Everything is so awkward, look at the captains “c” too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Yeah this makes a lot of sense- the early games NYR won were pretty bad efforts with a lot of luck and incredible goaltending and now the last few weeks they have looked much better and dominant. If they can avoid injuries to their defense (Tinordi and Hajek waiting in the wings :suicide:) they are going to have a very good year.

And it’s ok to be nervous about Laf but as it’s been pointed out before- he has had one of the worst PP and TOI totals of recent 1st overall picks.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to say Lafreniere was considered a game changing talent, just an above average first overall pick. He was CHL MVP two years in a row and I think I compared him to a Taylor Hall (non-Hart version) level first overall pick. The kinda guy you'd expect to get 50-60ish points out of the box and peak around 80-90pts in his prime. He has absolutely underperformed in a serious way but statistically there's no reason that should be the case. He wasn't a world beater offensively in junior, but he on par with most other 1st overalls to come out of the CHL. QMJHL scoring is consistently a bit higher than the other two leagues, but nothing close to the disparity there once was so his stats weren't appreciably inflated in any way. Nico Hischier came out of the same league a few years prior putting up crappier numbers and had a 52 point rookie season. I kinda figured that was the floor expectations wise for Lafreniere.

Skating was always his concern, but he was a polished two way player with great vision and positioning in junior so I'm really not sure why that hasn't translated to the NHL. There are plenty of other underwhelming skaters taken high in the draft that still put up at least good top six numbers. Rangers fans have a ton more insight as to why he's struggling, but it's completely baffling that he's barely able to get on the board in the NHL. He's only just turned 20 so there's lot of time for him to improve, but man it's a worrying start for him.

1. Lack of proper training camp, full season experience, and all other consistency issues due to COVID.

2. Really poor TOI and PP (all of his goals have been at even strength) opportunities for a 1OA, take a look

I am still hopeful that with better and consistent opportunities he will improve. I am also far more confident in Gallant than Quinn in helping him reach that potential. Still a concerning start but I’m not ready to hit the panic button.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Shesterkin on IR, will miss at least 3 games :suicide:

Hopefully it’s only 3 games but Georgiev has been shaky to say the least...

Edit: Also a busy schedule ahead with a few back to backs so we will probably see a 3rd stringer start if Igor isn’t back soon. Great!

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 4, 2021

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Another update on Igor

https://twitter.com/vzmercogliano/status/1467228548578611201?s=20

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Rangers are good

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Jovial Cow posted:

I mean the Blackhawks are also bad.

Second best wins percentage in the league it’s not just because they beat up on a bad team tonight

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Announcing (well leaking I suppose) a hiring before firing the current coach seems odd.

I’m thinking co-coaches. Benning will become co-GM with Pierre McGuire.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

grack posted:

Everything the Canucks do has to be done as stupidly as possible, apparently.

It really is bizarre- even in a league so adverse to change like the NHL, GMs and coaches can be dumped at any time and it’s often quick and unceremonious. Vancouver has chosen the equivalent of pulling a bandaid off over the course of three weeks. Just clear house! It will make pretty much every stakeholder beneath the owner happy!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

How do you not announce this all at once!!!!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It happened, it really happened

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Canucks fans- feel free to frame this

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

aejix posted:

God I had forgotten a lot of these.

Yeah seriously, I remember the signings and drafts but some of these trades I totally forgot like Clendening for Forsling or that it was McCann who was dumped in the Gudbranson deal.

What a tenure.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

NHL- stop hiring AV. Or Therrien. It’s amazing but unsurprising, that they keep getting chances.

Edit: lol and now Yeo gets another shot, what a dumb rear end league

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1467895519062147073?s=20

If the refs just gave Pionk like 2 minutes for kneeing Sandin like they should have none of this poo poo happens and the Leafs quietly lose 8-3 after packing it in for the third.

I swear this has happened a bunch of times this season. If they are going to continue to encourage a culture of “players work things out on the ice” then they just need to just call penalties or else you get 20 minutes of vigilante justice that results in far more mayhem then if you just called the original penalty to begin with. They call borderline minors all the time yet are too scared to call one when they know it’s gonna be a shitshow the rest of the game.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1467886926548111364

honestly this is a great strategy. Pretty good emergency backup.

Bruins are going to purposefully injure Swayman during warmups now

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The New York Rangers have the best points percentage in the league and Ryan Reaves has two multi point games.

Pay no attention to the fact that they will probably lose terribly to Colorado tomorrow.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

You know what? they might but I still think about that game vs Florida.

Breadman got 4 points tonight. He’s back baby.

Oh for sure, I’m done actually trying to predict things with this team. I’m just not at all confident in a back to back with Georgiev as essentially the only option.

Panarin has looked so much better than at the beginning of the season. He has been dominant. But again, who needs him when you have Ryan “Hands of Gold” Reaves?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

A real infusion of youth

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It blows my mind that these teams don’t ever even consider contingency plans. Benning has been on the hot seat for years but even pretending that his job was completely secure, you don’t ever think about who else you could put in that position? You don’t consider it to the point that you have to hire a 73 year old interim GM to mentor someone eventually? Why put somebody in the GM role at such a crucial time when you clearly don’t trust them to have that position permanently? How are these people so loving incompetent? they are rich and dumb

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

DOOMocrat posted:

Absolutely loving wild Mike Smith outlasted Ben Bishop. Can't fathom it.

Goalies are so hard to predict. You look at a guy like Quick who flops like a fish on the ice every night popping out his shoulder and knees but is still going and then you have Lundqvist who was very conservative and positional and he gets taken out of the game with a random heart issue.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Yeah I don’t expect a recently hired guy to go, “yeah I made some real lovely moves at my old job” but these guys are paid to do PR and press conferences and yet they are the most thin-skinned sensitive fuckers in the world.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

VOTE1 posted:

Does future considerations actually ever amount to something (ie if said player plays 50 games becomes a 5th rounder) or is it just to make the traded guy feel less bad that he’s been given away?

I believe sometimes it’s followed by a minor leagues trade or loan. Maybe to avoid waiver or contract issues by not including it in the original deal?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Welp there goes NYR too

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

You know exactly what about watching Ruff do a poor job with the Rangers defense despite having the best defenseman in the game made the Devils go “hmmm, this is head coach right here”? Like nothing about his most recent tenure with a team they played 50 times last year was a good audition for more responsibility. Gotta love this league.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

They are just going to push forward with half-AHL teams at this point. This is going to be a rough restart.

Also I’m not sure how taxi squads are going to solve the problem when those guys test positive after one game. We are going to see ECHL guys playing at this rate. Everybody in each organization gets a start and then you rotate!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

MononcQc posted:

Just lmao. Drouin is apparently out too:

https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/1476704524794576901

Vejdemo is a first line left wing, with 8 NHL games of experience.

E: It's a non-COVID virus; Habs are now stretched to 100% of their NHL-eligible contracts, including AHLers and will need to start signing new people to keep playing.

With him out, the Habs are apparently not icing a team that would be legal for a pre-season game tonight.

Harvey Pekar is playing LW for the Canadiens??

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Speaking of Panthers goalies:

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1476748631470395414

That's the second time Texier has pulled that move. Chris Driedger was the first victim last year.

Torts is somewhere out there getting mad about this

eXXon posted:

I am finding it hard to give a poo poo about the results of these absolute joke games that should not be played under any circumstances. But! Lots of players are getting their first NHL games! It's really going to fill out that hockey reference page on one game wonders.

Yeah it’s not often you see anything like this. We are going to have some ECHLer score a hat trick on an EBUG at this rate. The California teams will start digging into the roller-hockey leagues.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 31, 2021

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

I would agree if he hadn't seen it from behind the bench himself last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5HAuGht3YE

Can’t tell because of the mask but he is actually saying “you know, this is killing the game” at this point

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Noted reformed player Brad Marchand is up to his usual bullshit again

https://twitter.com/EHClothing/status/1477389978028191760?s=20

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Levitate posted:

That’s fairly usual scrum stuff but gently caress Marchand anyways

Specifically targeting a guys neck (again) with your stick is not what I’d categorize as usual scrum stuff. But agreed gently caress Marchand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Shesterkin is really, really, loving good.