Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I forgot his name due to being blinded by rage! Jackie you deserved better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Jackie better come back as a ghost to haunt everyone.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

wizardofloneliness posted:

Jackie better come back as a ghost to haunt everyone.

She “appeared” in the club when the daughter (who is going to get murdered by her parents) wore the uniform.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

She “appeared” in the club when the daughter (who is going to get murdered by her parents) wore the uniform.

I think that was Shauna's guilt though, not ghost!Jackie.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

She also appeared when Shauna and Adam were about to jump off the bridge ("Someone's going to get hurt!") but yeah, I think that's a manifestation of Shauna's guilt rather than actual ghost Jackie.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Hope they pull a "We have to go back!" or a dead Locke twist

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Giodo! posted:

The cultists definitely left me feeling really cold. I can't really put my finger on why - I guess it feels like a manufactured external enemy to focus on when in the modern day in much more interested in their internal struggles. Or maybe it's that it feels like the show opening up when I want it to stay tightly focused.

I felt this way, too. Until that moment, the "threat" of the forest cult was a creeping dread, something internal that eats away at you. Like, the risk I perceived was psychological, something closer to what's happening to Taissa where she's unraveling and doing occult poo poo on her own (possibly without realizing it.) Literal cultists out in the world doing Lottie's bidding are a much goofier idea.

And they're basically wearing uniforms, which makes it even goofier. Like, it'd bother me less if it was a more subtle or conspiratorial take. If they were normal people with suspicious motives revealing a hidden tattoo or pendant, a more paranoid angle where you don't know who's in the cult or why. When they burst through the door like Putties, it's such a departure in tone.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
i hear there’s a squid game crossover in s2

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
At least we knew YJ was setting up for S2. Squid Game is just after the :homebrew:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Looking forward to the twist where the furniture store’s inventory software developers are part of the Lottie cult.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Big Taint posted:

Looking forward to the twist where the furniture store’s inventory software developers are part of the Lottie cult.

Jeff finally gets the software running perfectly and the store starts turning huge profits, but the software is also mining crypto for Lottie

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’m still waiting for the ‘Travis faked his death’ twist too. He promised!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Nat: "Travis would never kill himself. Ever.

Ever ever ever!"

Everyone: "Maybe he did though?"

Nat: "No!"

Shauna: "Maybe he did, though?"

Nat: "Ok, maybe. Yeah, he did."

Anyway, I do love this show, but there are issues of course.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Big Taint posted:

I’m still waiting for the ‘Travis faked his death’ twist too. He promised!

"Ya'll heard about the Bigger Travis theory? Sounds more believable than Traaavis"

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

thank god for this thread. i thought i was going nuts.

thoughts since finishing s1

the necklace red herring told me that the one death we know about was happening, but then it wound up happening in a completely different way, which of course just makes it more compelling - who (or what) did they eat?

ghost!jackie appearing to shauna absolutely is a guilt thing, that's the one person whose fate she directly contributed to, so of course

the cultists stopping Nat from killing herself in the finale happened WAY too fast, but i think, like the girl running in the woods in the opening that there's something else happening

Misty being the mastermind behind everything is a theory that is gnawing at me - look what happened since they got back in contact with her, look at how manipulative and clearly mentally broken she is. this is the kind of thing someone who was willing to break the black box of the plane (and maybe blow up the other plane?) would do.

also : jeff is either the dumbest man to ever live ("There's no book club?!") or he's hiding something by trotting out this lame blackmail story

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I laughed out loud at the There's no book club?! line, because doesn't it come right after she mentions how oblivious he was? It felt like an intentional joke, especially since it quickly cuts to the next scene.

Also, why the hell did the teddy bear catch on fire?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Some of you are way too concerned about the logistics of what happened to the teddy bear.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Some of you are way too concerned about the logistics of what happened to the teddy bear.

I just joined this thread, this was apparently brought up before?

I don't know, I was expecting that plan to fail, but not because the bear suddenly combusts. Seemed weird to me; she could have easily said something like "what's that smell? Is something leaking?", then we see the back of the plan catch on fire, and then boom.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

The bear combusted because of magic

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The writers thought it would look cool/be more symbolic if the bear was the first thing visibly wrong. I really think that’s all.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I took the bear as the most direct sign of magic. I suppose there's other possibilities but they're all so unintuitive compared to magic. It was sitting on a dry chair doing nothing and just suddenly ignited. Seemed like the woods were just saying 'no'. Also it was seconds later that the entire plane exploded, I don't think that fire would have progresed to explosion within a couple of seconds if it wasn't a magic fire.

I don't think Misty was involved in that because Misty would've done something a lot more certain like gently caress with the plane itself, not plant some kind of incendiary device inside a toy which could easily be either thrown out or put out. Also, what kind of time-delay device could she even make out there?

I could be wrong but I think they are writing the magic as possibly imaginary as an aesthetic choice because it's cooler if you're not quite sure what is really happening, but this is still a show with supernatural elements whether individual aspects are explainable or not, and I don't think all of them really are. It is about group dynamics, isolation and mass hysteria, about cults and so on. It's also about evil poo poo out in the woods.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The writers thought it would look cool/be more symbolic if the bear was the first thing visibly wrong. I really think that’s all.

Yeah, that's how I read the scene. Laura Lee is a religious fanatic and we're seeing the plane loving up through her perspective. Maybe supernatural stuff is happening, maybe it isn't, but I don't buy the bear as an unexplainable example of magic.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 1, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yes but it has the knock on effect of making viewers go straight to assuming magic is real and anything is possible. Which is funny cause a theme of the show is rationality breaking down in the face of unexplained phenomena, so we get to watch the audience also do the same thing.

‘Tis we who should have never left the island ho ho hee hee.

Also just for the record it would be trivial to make a fuse. A lot of modern stuff is actually designed to stop it from quietly being a ready-made one, e.g. American cigarettes pre-200-and change were 5~ minute fuses and most non-US brands still are which is part of why they’re a bitch to import. The hard part about inventing fuses was getting them to reliably burn at really exacting rates ; if you just want something to burn for a while we already have a word for that and it’s called a stick.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, that's how I read the scene. Laura Lee is a religious fanatic and we're seeing the plane loving up through her perspective. Maybe supernatural aid is happening, maybe it isn't, but I don't but the bear as an unexplainable example of magic.

yeah that does track better than Misty being Misty, and I'll drop that from my paranoid conspiracy board. since Laura Lee is the only one in the cockpit, the scene is subjective and through her experience. Kinda like seeing everyone saying they love Jackie in the last episode

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also just for the record it would be trivial to make a fuse. A lot of modern stuff is actually designed to stop it from quietly being a ready-made one, e.g. American cigarettes pre-200-and change were 5~ minute fuses and most non-US brands still are which is part of why they’re a bitch to import. The hard part about inventing fuses was getting them to reliably burn at really exacting rates ; if you just want something to burn for a while we already have a word for that and it’s called a stick.

sure, but I don't think there's a plausible way this happens on what we saw. The toy was on fire from the inside, and was sitting there before take-off. The fuse would have to have gone inside the bear already lit, etc - I don't see how it happens. I also don't see how this would be somebody's plan because the bear wasn't connected to anything and would have taken a while to spread, making it possible to deal with the problem.

Maybe you are just making a general point that fuses can be made but the point is the actual situation, what kind of device could have done that which they would have had access to? I can't think of any.

The bear being a hallucination of Laura Lee's at least works, and it was just that the plane was very old and blew up once in the sky for reasons that had nothing to do with the bear. I don't like it because elsewhere when people are having imaginary scenes/warped perspective, the show makes it clear by showing the reality afterwards. Doesn't happen here, all we know is that the plane then immediately blew up. If the bear wasn't actually on fire, why would Laura Lee see it as on fire? From her perspective, everything was going perfectly and she was about to be a hero. We're almost getting back to supernatural now because she's got precognition.

I doubt we'll actually be going back to the bear, though. I think it will either be an example of magic in the end, or basically forgotten about when it's all revealed as mass hysteria and so the laura lee hallucination idea will have to do.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

roomtone posted:

sure, but I don't think there's a plausible way this happens on what we saw. The toy was on fire from the inside, and was sitting there before take-off. The fuse would have to have gone inside the bear already lit, etc - I don't see how it happens. I also don't see how this would be somebody's plan because the bear wasn't connected to anything and would have taken a while to spread, making it possible to deal with the problem.

Maybe you are just making a general point that fuses can be made but the point is the actual situation, what kind of device could have done that which they would have had access to? I can't think of any.

The bear being a hallucination of Laura Lee's at least works, and it was just that the plane was very old and blew up once in the sky for reasons that had nothing to do with the bear. I don't like it because elsewhere when people are having imaginary scenes/warped perspective, the show makes it clear by showing the reality afterwards. Doesn't happen here, all we know is that the plane then immediately blew up. If the bear wasn't actually on fire, why would Laura Lee see it as on fire? From her perspective, everything was going perfectly and she was about to be a hero. We're almost getting back to supernatural now because she's got precognition.

I doubt we'll actually be going back to the bear, though. I think it will either be an example of magic in the end, or basically forgotten about when it's all revealed as mass hysteria and so the laura lee hallucination idea will have to do.

Literally a stick could do it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I laughed out loud at the There's no book club?! line, because doesn't it come right after she mentions how oblivious he was? It felt like an intentional joke, especially since it quickly cuts to the next scene.

Also, why the hell did the teddy bear catch on fire?
That's definitely an intentional joke by the show, though not by poor Jeff.

Bears don't spontaneously combust. Had to be sabotage :colbert:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

has that been confirmed?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i think i already said this but the bear is either the production crew not really thinking about the situation or magic. and the fact there was an issue with people examining the letters probably means its the former

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The writers have said that they deliberately portray things in a way that could be interpreted as either supernatural or not.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm still salty about the lengths they went to to make Adam a Yavi red herring. Misdirection is fine and good but it sucks when it's designed to pull the rug on careful viewers like "Psych! It was all just ridiculous coincidence, idiot."

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CODChimera posted:

i think i already said this but the bear is either the production crew not really thinking about the situation or magic. and the fact there was an issue with people examining the letters probably means its the former

that makes zero sense. the diaries thing makes perfect sense, its the kind of mistake you make when you dont realize you are making a hit show where everyone is carefully looking at every piece of evidence. the bear thing was very clearly a deliberate way to say "hey theres magic stuff going around"

of course the writers will still say stuff like

wizardofloneliness posted:

The writers have said that they deliberately portray things in a way that could be interpreted as either supernatural or not.

because thats just more interesting for everyone than just going "yeah its magic theres no other explanation stop talking about our show"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
This was pretty enjoyable but got worse with every passing episode, leading up to the aforementioned puttee patrol at the very end. The first two episode were really intriguing and unnerving - everything after that leans a lot more towards enjoyable shlock

Also super not wild about ~~eeeevil spooooky schizophrenia~~~ in TYOOL 2022

Finally, Nat supremacy

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'm still salty about the lengths they went to to make Adam a Yavi red herring. Misdirection is fine and good but it sucks when it's designed to pull the rug on careful viewers like "Psych! It was all just ridiculous coincidence, idiot."

Adam-Javi thing seemed like online brain worm poo poo to me. I didn’t pick up on it at all watching show, even after seeing the Reddit posts linked itt

Like he was def a red herring, but what lengths were gone to far as the Javi connection? I only really remember the Reddit posts citing his age and a wooden figurine while hand waving away Shauna apparently not recognizing him at all

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

eighty-four merc posted:

Adam-Javi thing seemed like online brain worm poo poo to me. I didn’t pick up on it at all watching show, even after seeing the Reddit posts linked itt

Like he was def a red herring, but what lengths were gone to far as the Javi connection? I only really remember the Reddit posts citing his age and a wooden figurine while hand waving away Shauna apparently not recognizing him at all

I never even actually understood what the argument was supposed to be with the figurine. There's the scene where Javi carves the wooden horse and then some people pointed out that Adam was an artist and waggled their eyebrows suggestively.

Which by that same logic, means I'm obviously a world class professional poker player because I used to play Magic the Gathering.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Javi carves a nice little wolf for Shauna and a little carved wooden figurine is visible in the background of his apartment. The other big argument I saw was that supposedly there are a couple of cuts where one scene ends on Javi and the next one starts on Adam.

It is my sincerest wish that he remains Just Some Guy, god only knows what will happen when that torso gets dug up though

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

coronatae posted:

Javi carves a nice little wolf for Shauna and a little carved wooden figurine is visible in the background of his apartment. The other big argument I saw was that supposedly there are a couple of cuts where one scene ends on Javi and the next one starts on Adam.

It is my sincerest wish that he remains Just Some Guy, god only knows what will happen when that torso gets dug up though

Yeah no that’s dumb and not even close to evidence. (Not you, you’re cool)

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Javi disappears in the woods and is never seen again, until present day as the weird eyeless guy, but he’s cool and helps fight whatever bullshit Tai is up to and the cult. Has romantic side story with Misty in season 3. She kills him in the finale.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bindged the show after avoiding it out of spite because film/tv twitter decided this was the show that they would obsessive over vs the show I wanted more of them to watch, which was WOT, (which turned out fine, since everyone else watched WOT and loved it, even if the creatives more or less ignored it even it gave them everything they've been complaining they've wanted for years) and I was grumpy about it.

Overall, really liked it!

Some quick thoughts.

The Great:

The show runners from what you folks have shared (interview quotes, I really look forward to digging into some podcasts with them over the weekend) do make me have even more faith in them. Because the one thing I have no notes about is that they get the characters, and it feels honest, and that's what they're sticking to the most. Which is great, because it's their strongest strengths.

JL is doing a fantastic, and I mean, fanatic job of acting like a trauma washed up addict. I was a bartender in my twenties, and the way heavy drinking 40's look is exactly like her. She's got the mannerisms down, the face twitches, all of it. Somebody in here described it as big, but what it feels like is a kettle about to boil. That's often like what old addicts feel like when they sit at your bar.

The affair domestic plot works because the mom, husband and daughter are playing tricky roles perfectly. I believe he's a well aging average idiot. "There's no book club?!" is one of the best drat line readings of the last year.

CR is playing her role perfectly, and I believe she can get away with the poo poo she's getting away.

The time in the woods overall really works. Those actors are all killing it. The supernatural scenes being played as either or (and the thread having members saying no/yes) shows that giving options for it to be either is fantastic. It's clear they're going to say it's probably supernatural but leave room for the boring people who refuse to think anything supernatural can ever happen. A man of science/man of faith without it being so heavy handed.

The other stuff:
I am torn on the opening showing so far ahead. I know you need that hook. I do. but having her running and being chased may have been enough for the start. Then cut to the last shot another flash-forward of them eating. They trapped themselves into a bit of a corner, unless they do one of two things. Just have it be the only members left with dark hair... or

And this why 5 seasons makes me feel leery: they need to find more people out there. If the show is three seasons and out, the amount of players out there is perfect. But if they go fully tribal (break into two) there needs to be more cannon fodder, because otherwise present day will start to feel small, fast. You need multiple people not with those four out in the real world, more than just one. Cult members I guess works, but still.

It's good to hear it can be up to 5 years. I think narratively sticking to what the show is best at (characters in way over their heads,) is better than making the mystery stuff too deep.

As for the woods supernatural stuff, another note. I was in a wilderness survival group when I was a teen. Me, a bunch of other teens, and some twenty something leaders (with major survival training) going out into the woods for up to two weeks, with very little supplies. It was great times, learned a lot. But poo poo does happen out there. Most (and many in this thread would argue all) of it is the mind playing tricks on you, but there are two or three things that happened to me personally that did not feel like easy explain away. and I'm someone that by and large does not believe in conspiracy theories, gets vaccinated, all that. I think the majority of hardcore christians lack critical thinking skills, (and most other major religions) and so on.

The point about that last part is them going really crazy (and they have shrooms and are all attractive teens who want to jump each other just experienced massive traumas) if anything seems like it's almost taking too long.

The senator plot line is boring and not good. It's like a copy of a copy of a boring plot line out of an episode of the good wife/Evil.

Last last thing. I think this show officially is the sign that shows need to stop a lot of "prestige" dialogue. There were several speeches that worked here, but I could feel them being the same beats as other prestige shows. I don't think any show can keep doing that and actual work anymore. This one does, but barely.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The gently caress is KR?