Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
From what I remember Death just flipped Mort's empty Lifetimer, so he and Ysabell made it to maybe their mid-thirties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Just to the pet where Death is stopping the king from being a prick, and I forgot what a good character Albert is. Do we know anything about him from other books?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Snowmankilla posted:

Just to the pet where Death is stopping the king from being a prick, and I forgot what a good character Albert is. Do we know anything about him from other books?

Yes, he's a major character in an earlier Death book (Mort). I'm hesitant to say more than that because it would potentially spoil a lot of that book. It's good though, definitely worth reading if you want more background on him.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Thanks! I have read them all before, but it’s been about 8 years (I have a 7 and a half year old), and I couldn’t remember.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

YggiDee posted:

From what I remember Death just flipped Mort's empty Lifetimer, so he and Ysabell made it to maybe their mid-thirties.

That was brought up in the book, and Death said that the lifetimers don't work according to the same rules of logic as normal time, and Mort had "enough" time

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I could easily imagine a version of Discworld where Mort and Susan don't die; Susan just isn't on great terms with them.

It might be an improvement. You'd lose most of Soul Music, but it's the least of the Death books, so.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Snowmankilla posted:

Thanks! I have read them all before, but it’s been about 8 years (I have a 7 and a half year old), and I couldn’t remember.

In that case, as a reminder...
He's Alberto Malich, an old Archcancellor of Unseen University who near the end of his life performed the Rite of Ash-Kente backwards and summoned himself to Death's domain to serve there rather than die.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Bruceski posted:

In that case, as a reminder...
He's Alberto Malich, an old Archcancellor of Unseen University who near the end of his life performed the Rite of Ash-Kente backwards and summoned himself to Death's domain to serve there rather than die.

A correction: doing the Rite backwards was ideally supposed to banish Death from his presence and make him immortal. He just didn't understand what it meant to "summon Death" in reverse. But yes, upon ending up in Death's realm he made the best of the situation and became his lackey

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Thanks! The smoking and being a bit of a dick make even more sense now!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
suggestions for January?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Has BotM done The Once and Future King yet? That's always felt like a depths-of-winter book to me.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I started a reread of Hogfather a couple days ago and just noticed the thread. I've always thought this was one of Pratchett's weaker books plot-wise, but I've been having a lot of fun with it. I just got to the bit where the wizards brew up the hangover cure for the Oh God of Hangovers and I just love all the idiot banter between the wizards. And the main difference between them and a bunch of bickering idiot old men is that Death's granddaughter can walk through the walls carrying a body and Ridcully's response is "Putting down or taking away?" Or that the magic hangover cure is a bunch of "my brother always used to swear by" folk remedies except with a magic ball of light added to enhance the effects.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Gone with the wind since my wife and I are going to simulread it for January

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

After something light how abotu something meaty? How about Grass's The Tin Drum?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just finished it, and found it a really entertaining but of holiday escapism. But I was astounded to see my Eve main's name William Rubin (both Billy Rubin and bilirubin were all ready taken) checked in a fun way

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

suggestions for January?
My reccs are:

The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton, is a classic with just some wonderful prose which has gotten me through a lot of winter grumps

or, more winter themed

Early Riser by Jasper Fforde is about a society that goes into hibernation for the winter except for the winter preservation corp whose job it is to keep them all alive. Very fun and whimsical

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, here are books entering public domain in january 2022 -- any of these look good to people?

https://www.windowsdispatch.com/public-domain-books-2022/

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Ok, here are books entering public domain in january 2022 -- any of these look good to people?

Sun Also Rises is up there for me, plenty I'd be willing to try though, not knowing much about them a priori

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

Me too... The Sun Also Rises is actually next up in a "collected works" ebook I bought.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is the top of my "mystery authors being dirty cheats" list. The Charwoman's Shadow is great, but of course you've already done Dunsany. Topper is an amusing but completely dated trifle.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I've been on a big Agatha Christie kick lately, so The Murder of Roger Akroyd appeals to me in a big way, especially since it's with my favorite detective, one M. Poirot.

That said, The Sun Also Rises would give me an excuse to finally read any Hemingway at all.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
The Sun Also Rises is pretty readable for Hemingway.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The Land of Mist is at least interesting as Professor Challenger, previously best-known for being in The Lost World winds up becoming a devoted Spiritualist (Doyle wound up getting really involved in this in later life).

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Rand Brittain posted:

The Land of Mist is at least interesting as Professor Challenger, previously best-known for being in The Lost World winds up becoming a devoted Spiritualist (Doyle wound up getting really involved in this in later life).

I do love hearing about Doyle’s wonderfully credulous relationship with spiritualism. I am half tempted to suggest his book about it, which coincidentally is also leaving copyright in January

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I don't know if that's really a coincidence.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Natty Ninefingers posted:

The Sun Also Rises is pretty readable for Hemingway.

This is where I'm leaning unless something changes my mind

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
My first vote was "Do another Discworld so I can, as I did this month, follow along from memory." My second vote was for The Man Who Was Thursday for that same reason and because it's fantastic.

The Sun Also Rises has always interested me because of its name. Only read one or two Hemingway short stories, and I should give one of his novels a shot.

So I guess it gets my third vote.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Vavrek posted:

My first vote was "Do another Discworld so I can, as I did this month, follow along from memory." My second vote was for The Man Who Was Thursday for that same reason and because it's fantastic.

The Sun Also Rises has always interested me because of its name. Only read one or two Hemingway short stories, and I should give one of his novels a shot.

So I guess it gets my third vote.
The Man Who Was Thursday is the best novel a video game introduced me to. It's also one of the rare conservative classics.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Xander77 posted:

The Man Who Was Thursday is the best novel a video game introduced me to. It's also one of the rare conservative classics.

:hfive:
We don't have an Ion Storm smiley, so I'll share a story: Back on the Planet Deus Ex forums, there was a guy whose screenname was Gabriel Syme, and I think it's because of him that I actually noticed and read the excerpts ingame. I distinctly remember him trying to do a run in which nobody died—not just pacifism, but actually have no one die, by his hand or not. I think he made it to Hell's Kitchen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I'll get a thread up for Sun Also Rises soonish

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just stumbled on this thread looking for a different one and I just figured I'd drop in to say that by coincidence I read Hogfather on the 24th and 25th.

Glad everyone enjoyed it! It's now one of my two favourite Discworld books, having read over half of them now (the other is Lords and Ladies because I love the witches so much).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CommonShore posted:

I just stumbled on this thread looking for a different one and I just figured I'd drop in to say that by coincidence I read Hogfather on the 24th and 25th.

Glad everyone enjoyed it! It's now one of my two favourite Discworld books, having read over half of them now (the other is Lords and Ladies because I love the witches so much).

You've good taste. Hogfather, Lords and Ladies, and Small Gods are my top three, in no particular order.

Night Watch and Thief of Time aren't far behind.