Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I rather doubt that the committee will see it the same way and I've made my peace with that but: lol Notre Dame is not a better team and does not have a better resume than Baylor. No, not even with the TCU loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It won’t matter since neither team is getting in.

...Yeah now that I think of it Bama+Michigan wins do slam the door shut, don't they? Hadn't adjusted my mental bracket lol

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The only even remotely realistic "weird" scenario I could imagine is if Georgia falls out entirely and someone in ND/Baylor/Utah makes a leap. Bama+Michigan+Cincy are indisputible locks for any halfway serious person.

And Georgia won't fall out entirely. Maybe if they hadn't gotten that last touchdown to get it to 14 with a reasonable amount of time left, but they did. I'll grouse about it and I certainly have no faith that they won't offer up their hearts for Saban to rip out again, but at the end of the day empirical argument against them is pretty weak - and the brand argument against them is lol.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lol Jeff Lebby to OU.

Now I'm just waiting for Texas to go crawling to Kendal Briles

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Beat the poo poo out of Bama, Cincy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also Baylor clearly ought to be ranked over ND and probably over Ohio State too, gently caress alla y'all.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hope the pokes suffocate ND.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Omagus/status/1467581382486642693

Charlie Brewer....:smith:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

LLCoolJD posted:

Cincinnati are the face of a movement at this point, helped by UCF's snub. Their conference also did them a solid by scheduling an early season bye week while Notre Dame were busy playing Wisconsin.

Both UCF and Cincinnati are going to the Big XII so I don't know what team(s) are going to be the next ones on the outside looking in.

I guess SMU maybe? Boise? Although they both obviously need to elevate a bit to truly get there.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bird in a Blender posted:

Hopefully Okie State fares better against ND than Iowa State did a couple years back.

I think they should. That defense is suffocating and I haven't heard anything about ND's offense to make me think they'll be able to crack it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

Apparently TCU is also in the mix for Ewers. They might have a worse QB room then Tech, and for a guy that's looking for a guaranteed start, that's a good thing.

This would be funny because it would likely guarantee that Caleb Williams goes down in TCU history as the QB that literally only beat Baylor and then disintegrated into mist like Sugar Bowl Trevor Knight like I suspected he would.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm sure you've posted this elsewhere and I just missed it but - where's the methodology on these?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ESPNRittenberg/status/1467894828209823747?s=20

Genuinely confused how Aranda to Oregon would be a fit beyond the most surface-level "good coach, good program" element. Aranda was born in southern Cal, I guess that makes him a west coast guy?

Frankly if I'm Oregon and I'm dead set on poaching from Baylor, I might get Jeff Grimes before I get Aranda. I'm a little shocked at how little buzz he's gotten in this cycle. Baylor's offense isn't the flashiest this year but it's pretty solid after being absolute dogshit in 2020 and being pretty weak in the latter half of 2019, especially on the offensive line.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

....Possibly a dumb question. How big a deal is Mormonism at Utah as compared to BYU? I assume it's less pronounced there at the school literally named after Brigham Young, but aside from that I'm not sure.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

drunk leprechaun posted:

My understanding in looking at Utah and having lots of family there who have gone to both schools Utah is for sure more secular. The church holds no official power like the do at BYU. But Mormonism is still a huge cultural influence. And it is likely much more conservative than other state schools.

Utah also attracts every bit of ex-Mormon or anti-Mormon sports fan support in state in my experience. So even just by that it's much less Mormon, but again it's still in Utah.

Makes sense.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I've said before, but I'm dead certain that Texas is going to get desperate enough to go crawling to Kendal Briles or maybe even Art one day and I will be the most relentlessly toxic about it when it happens

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dirty shrimp money posted:

Every time Houston changes head coaches or offensive coordinators the sect of people wanting either/both Briles to come back grows.

See I *like* Houston so even talking poo poo wouldn't be as much fun if that happened

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/MattPrehm/status/1469423691637264384

The "today" there seems like an interesting qualifier.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So either people at Oregon have no idea what's happening with their coaching search or somebody's reporting is super wrong.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/wacotrib/status/1469481338910740484

Only just learned tonight that Dave Campbell was a Baylor/Waco guy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1469790525825847297

lol

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

greater than a 50% chance he's a massive diva and a complete bust

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dumb question:

what are Urban Meyer's actual skills beyond pointing Ohio State's recruits and resources at the other endzone and going "go!"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

He, Gregg Brandon and Dan Mullen built out their spread offense at Bowling Green and implemented it really loving well at Utah. He's not a killer X/O guy but he was an insane recruiter and seemed to, as mentioned above, do well at implementing his vision.

He's just prone to self-destructing somewhere around 5-6 years into his job. He's not malleable enough to evolve like a Saban.

But yeah, most schools would fire their coach to have Urbz show up and coach there. He's got a tremendous track record in college--even if he's a complete shithead and the shine is very, very thin.

fair enough

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/1470860025245716483

I want so badly for Texas to have to play BYU and relive the Taysom Hill Nightmare again....

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bird in a Blender posted:

Almost sad that OU and Texas are sticking around for so long. Going to make it an uncomfortable few years. Sucks for the other teams joint the Big 12 too, unless they join early and we end up with like one year of mega conference.

I don't see why OU/Texas sticking around would or should delay anyone else's plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

I will let people talk whatever poo poo they want about Baylor or Waco but I would loving die for Dave Aranda.

Been a fun year. Special team.