Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

here kid, have a picture

:wiggle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
MFT is really quite capable at bokeh for the sensor size

(deliberately weird focus, i was trying out a stack)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

we doing plant macro?

noice

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

not macro, but also pretty good bokeh

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol

im a very serious instagram artist

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

that’s a pleasant picture to look at

the orb is the real show

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 18, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

what do you think it wants from us

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

drat nice claw

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

its a decent one, she looks happy

echinopsis posted:

it’s one of her favourite shots from the shoot

this is all that really matters anyway, especially if you're working for a client

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

beeftweeter I have some good news

I've worked out I can compensate for highly raised blacks by increasing the saturation/vibrance carefully

the only thing I don't like about raised blacks is that it can feel like I'd added a grey wash to the image, and increasing the colour carefully I can overcome that, and then end up with an image that really hits the heart AND the mind

that is good news

serious suggestion: have you tried playing with the curves? not just luminosity, there's overall rgb chroma and individual r/g/b curves also. it's something i almost never neglect to do because it can honestly be the difference between a good photo and a great one, imo. at first r/g/b individually probably isn't necessary, but luma and overall chroma is usually a must i think

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

also one of the photos I took, these were the settings. perhaps someone would tweak it bit but it didn’t need it to look good. sunsets just are that valuable

imo play around with some more points on there. if you like the lifted black look then you can still achieve that but with an actual black point set

afaik though you can't do luma only with lightroom, the "white" option seems to be rgb to me. i know you can do it with photoshop though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

quote != edit

heres an eggy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

How do I lighten up this George pic in a better way than just using the auto adjust?

lighter how? something like this?

(some tweaking on the curves + lower contrast)

it really isn't a dark photo per se, it's just that the highlights and shadows are a bit uneven

e: from there tweaking the contrast again

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 23, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

(before someone says "thats not different")

https://i.imgur.com/lMtS6sF.mp4

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

tried a macro thing

it is honestly hard to tell that these are bugs. at first i thought it was a wicker chair or something

i'm not sure i have any specific advice since i've never dealt with the subject but i'd try to maximize contrast somehow. it's not really clear what the subject actually is

e: lol i am very sorry achmed

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 23, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

hah well there you go. it also looks like little bees :v:

i wouldn't say it was unsuccessful in that case, i had assumed you were just shooting bees again

...which would have been apparently unsuccessful. but they're not bees! so don't worry about it. lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

I guess more like the 2nd one

it's still the same curve as in the comparison, i just lowered the highlights a bit to -50% and the contrast went to -35%. i think before that i had it at -50% also, but that looks kinda washed out

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

this is with changing the color temperature on the highlights and shadows

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

Hey that's pretty good, thanks. His orangeness is more correct

no prob. the original being a jpeg limits what's possible somewhat but if you have the raw then that should give you some ideas

PokeJoe posted:

Here's a bonus pic of that giant blob

good dog

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

whoa

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

hope people don't mind me bragging too much but I had a victory yesterday:

In the break room at work, someone out of the blue said "hey echi your photo page is awesome" and I said "you mean, the photos I take?" and she said yes. and then she told me about how she was "showing off" to someone else that she knew this dude (me) who took all these photos.

I was stoked, and it really out of left field which made it good.

that's great :) it's weird when people recognize you from your work and not the other way around. real bizarre at first

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i didnt know michael jordan only has 3 fingers

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

This isn't my best dog portrait but I'm happy with the edit because it was so dark in there

this was sooc

just a slight nitpick but i would rotate it counterclockwise very slightly to make it straight

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

:shepface:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

this one came out way better imo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

great contrast as usual

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Megabound posted:

Thanks kindly!

this is great

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

tef posted:

got a 150mm f/2.8 large format lens :2bong:

hell yeah

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

sagebrush's post is pretty good. if it's still confusing maybe think of it as a physical engraving that you're making, idk, ink prints of. an "overexposure" in that case can be thought of as something with sharper relief: it's simply easier to make copies of

you're making copies of a negative too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i have something thats roughly equivalent to that, the dof owns

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

beeftweeters mo is inserting star trek into every thing possible

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

if you can do EV compensation then imo thats the easiest way. most cameras just bracket those values anyway, on most manufacturers the button usually looks like +/-

but otherwise tef is right, either use a ND filter (which kinda limits you to two stops i guess) or figure out your shutter speeds manually. i'm not sure how advanced of a photographer you might be so this could be obvious but you generally don't want to bracket different aperture values since the results won't match

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

that thing looks pretty neat

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

"echis kiwis"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

that does look kinda cool

e: second one is ehh. needs focus

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

most phones very visibly suck compared to a real camera

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

:imunfunny:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

some cool stuff on this page

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

there appears to be a ghost in the frame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

thats not a ghost, its a magpie

well this sounds like something a ghost might say