Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I imported mine from webike, they might have been the very last pair in red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

A MIRACLE posted:

Over halfway I think

Yo I just want to apologize on behalf of the central coast for the poo poo weather this week, I just spent a couple hours on the 101 today and it took three layers of wool to not freeze my balls off.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Heading back north out of la today. Made it to wine country. Had a yikes moment on the 101 thru Ventura, hit an oil patch leaned over at speed and briefly lost the front. Fortunately it tracked without too much drama and I was fine. but still scary

Remy Marathe posted:

Yo I just want to apologize on behalf of the central coast for the poo poo weather this week, I just spent a couple hours on the 101 today and it took three layers of wool to not freeze my balls off.

It’s chilly but I’ve been hot sunburned and dehydrated basically since Death Valley so it feels nice

Rode the 154 past cachuma which was really fun, I’ve done it in a Miata and an 86 but never on a bike. Tho I had to pee the whole way, which is kinda the worst cause every little bump reminds you that the nearest chevron is still 45 mins away. Also some dude in a civic thought it would be cool to ride my rear end most of the way, just go around dude I’m already doing 80 in a 55

Oh yeah and the Willie Nelson festival was cool. My wife was like wow there’s sooooo many white people, which, she was right. Too many lol. Willie still got it tho

https://youtu.be/aFkcAH-m9W0

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 2, 2023

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That's a great trip - I did it a few times a year before the new baby. The part of 395 between Lake Topaz and Bishop is one of my favorite highway rides for the scenery. Sometimes fun to do the Northern part of Death Valley, past Eureka Dunes and such. Takes you through the Bristlecones and that's pretty fun.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

No pictures today but I made it up north past the Bay Area. Last night on the road!

Slabbed it 330 miles up the 101 today. Saw maybe three other riders total

Was caught in a rainstorm right after pismo which was really not fun. no visibility and no where to pull over. I was grateful when I hit some traffic because slowly lanesplitting was vastly preferable at that point.

Lots of water intrusion in my gear, the drystar gloves were not really dry. Rain petting my neck area. Also took a random bee to the throat. Cold as hell and wet but the sun came out briefly and I air dried pretty fast.

The heated handgrips that came with the vfr saved me today, I would have had to stop way sooner without them

Had a few aggressive bro trucks trying to show off how fast they were? Or something. I was just filtering normally thru freeway traffic. One of them decided to buzz me by passing me on the shoulder at 100mph. So cool dude wow

Also some wet paper flier in the wind wrapped itself around my helmet visor, completely blocking my vision. it was like something from a cartoon. I gently nudged it and it flew away before I crashed in traffic lol

Not much to report other than I was cold and wet and now I’m warm and dry and drinking beer now

Got my boots and gloves over the radiator in the room

Edit I take it back my bones are cold lol

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 3, 2023

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Torn between a new Miata or a new gold wing, they are basically the same price

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Two wheels rule, 4 wheels drool

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Obviously the answer is a used Miata and a used Wing

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Tow the Miata to the track with the Wing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

bizwank posted:

This guy gets it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bizwank posted:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I railed it up the 101 this week drat. I can tell when I’m getting stiff because the bike gets harder to turn. Then you hit the ocean and the headwind gets insane but you’re so ready to be home you stay up at 80mph and power thru instead of chilling out at 65. At least my back is strong now.

Going to continue north and do like grants pass. There was a hot air balloon fest there I had always planned on but it’s been cancelled since covid. But might be something cool up there Maybe come back on the 36. I want to see more sacred land and get a picture in front of the Weed, CA sign

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 6, 2023

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Dadbikening continues. Installed some 22mm bar risers on the vfr.
Stock level.

Loosening the stock bolts + wiggling the cables for slack was the hardest part, ie it was piss easy.

Notably different

and done. like 45 mins in total working slowly.

Lever angle seemed ok, but I'll see if I adjust them a little downwards, depends on how it feels actually riding.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Yup, will be keeping the risers installed. For my riding they were more comfortable. Higher wind shear with more up right position isn’t an issue at my usual riding speeds

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Who makes those risers?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

https://www.motopumps.com/shop/vfr-bar-risers

It’s the .95 inches version.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Partzilla got me my replacement top case in a week, I'm genuinely impressed. Behold the glory of the hardware store parking lot.

Finally I don't have to cart my damned helmet around every time I stop someplace.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

I railed it up the 101 this week drat. I can tell when I’m getting stiff because the bike gets harder to turn.

Interesting, I've never noticed my erection having an effect on turn-in.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You just must be confused, this is the thread for people who can't get erections anymore so they get goldwings instead

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nice one, Punchy

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

what would you choose between a ST1300 or FJR? FJR is better right?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcd/d/sacramento-2012-honda-st1300ac-abs/7620614696.html

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In every way yes

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I got my Bonneville at a good price and pre-dadded, with a great big madstad windscreen and these Triumph-branded olive brown saddlebags that must've cost PO upwards of a thousand dollars all told.  They wouldn't have been my choice.  They're fiddly, aren't waterproof, don't lock or even match the chrome, silver and black bike they're on.  They fade rapidly in the sun too.  Anyway, I lost the right-hand side bag not a week after I bought the bike, just took off on a ride with it unbuckled one evening and it was gone.

So I've spent this last year with the remaining saddlebag tucked away in a closet, a topcase serving for the vast majority of rides.  The saddlebags' hangars remained nice for tie-down purposes, and I've left the ill-matching brown mounting flaps on the bike for that rare left pannier use, the right hand one just a flappin' in the wind for symmetry.  Finally a couple weeks ago, having fully accepted that I won't be touring for the foreseeable future and therefore can't justify the $600+ I would otherwise spend on some black locking hard cases, I did break down and grab a replacement right-hand british olive-which-is-brown-colored garbage rear end Triumph brand bag off of ebay for $200.

Now, I've been talking to the worms in my brain, and we're all agreed the best thing to do at this point is to learn to paint leather from the internet, paint these bags matte black with acrylic and some satin finisher, and run an elaborate cable lock system through them and under the seat when they're in use so I can relax with my bike parked unobserved for several hours.  I've used photoshop to forecast what it'll look like, and am unduly confident that it will make the bags less offensive than some of the other stuff I've got going on.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Even if they were olive brown the biggest crime there is the top box :shrug:

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

But it locks dude. I could put your mom's purse in there.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I mean, I added one this week too:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Nothing matches either the bike or each other anyway so why bother painting one of the bags?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Because if I get lucky, the black I paint the saddlebags will be a reasonable match for one of the blacks elsewhere on the bike, moving the needle toward congruity.

Between the topcase, tires, plastic side covers, and knee grips fading to brown, I've got some good options.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I did about 200 miles on the freeway today and drat, the goldwing is just build for soaking up freeway mileage. It’s in the perfect part of the RPM range, the suspension is at its best there, it effortlessly passes traffic in top gear and it’s just all around clearly built for it.

It’s the first bike I’ve owned that has made me love slabbing.

Bonus shot from the little bit of time I spent off the freeway

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Sooooo jealous. My barber said his buddy would sell me a goldwing so we’ll see lol

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I did about 200 miles on the freeway today and drat, the goldwing is just build for soaking up freeway mileage. It’s in the perfect part of the RPM range, the suspension is at its best there, it effortlessly passes traffic in top gear and it’s just all around clearly built for it.

It’s the first bike I’ve owned that has made me love slabbing.

Bonus shot from the little bit of time I spent off the freeway

Last year my elderly indoor cat got outside, and I didn't recognize him at all at first because he's extremely generic looking and "outside" is not the context in which I ever usually see him.

Your Goldwing sitting in that field gives me the exact same feeling as seeing my big old grampa Kitty nosing around my planters.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Agreed, it does look like a geriatric dementia patient got lost in the woods

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Its been so nice lately that except for store runs I basically never drove my car. just kept driving the valk. I told people at work one reason was because I could keep putting off getting the oil change done :v:

Aside, I need to actually wash the car badly because its been sitting in the parking garage and the dust layer is basically caked on so bad that a touch free wash did nothing and I basically wasted 10 bucks lol.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Agreed, it does look like a geriatric dementia patient got lost in the woods

It is the destiny of every IT person to eventually gently caress off into the woods.

I’m doing what was foretold in the prophecies

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Its been so nice lately that except for store runs I basically never drove my car. just kept driving the valk. I told people at work one reason was because I could keep putting off getting the oil change done :v:

Aside, I need to actually wash the car badly because its been sitting in the parking garage and the dust layer is basically caked on so bad that a touch free wash did nothing and I basically wasted 10 bucks lol.

My car sees next to no mileage during riding season. This is how it should be.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Been using the kriega 20 for smaller in between store trips, I already barely put any miles on my car, and haven't ridden it in a month now. My 2019 GTI has 6k miles on it. My bike I bought 3 weeks ago has 500.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Two weeks, $70 in crafting supplies and some youtube videos later, I got my bags painted black without them looking like total dogshit, personally I'm pretty happy with the results. The biggest improvement is also small, the saddlebag flaps that are on the bike 100% of the time now blend in.

I'm pretty sure the ideal method for painting bags matte black would be an airbrush setup and the skill to use it. Since I have neither, I did it with brushes. Broke from my usual impatience and forced myself to slow down and practice on a spare leather flap, and had to take a couple runs at it while discovering you have to thin the acrylic paint with water so that brushstrokes aren't that visible.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

looks like I'll have another mini tour coming up in august, humboldt to bellingham and back for a work thing. should be nice riding then

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

What is it about dad bikes and post offices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Perfect

Look at all that luggage capacity. Centre stand. Shaft drive. Hnng