Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The actual final season of Attack on Titan is gonna rule. Also looking forward to a bunch of those movies whenever they make the rounds; since GKIDS is distributing The Deer King I'm hopeful that it will get a screening near me at some point since it feels like every anime movie they distribute except for Yuasa movies plays around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Alas. Oh well, I go and see all anime movies that play near me regardless so I am used to doing that sometimes haha.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I have been revisiting Maison Ikkoku this week so I wanna believe I willed this into existence.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Far as Lupin cast changes go, both Fujiko and Goemon had new VAs after Part 1 so at least early on they weren't afraid to change it up.

Fangz posted:

I'm more concerned that the two directors they list don't seem very impressive.

Yea. They could always surprise me and of course the material is so inherently strong on its own that I'm positive it won't be unwatchable, but considering the talent involved with the original anime those are some big shoes to fill!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

marumaru posted:

is it allowed for one to be sex positive and also not love anime fanservice especially when it's in highschool settings?

Sorry, nuance is illegal.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Just a heads up for folks that might not be aware of it (I only stumbled upon it because I obsessively check my local theater listings each week to catch limited time releases) but the latest movie from the director of Time of Eve and Patema Inverted is gonna get a very limited run in theaters from Jan 23-26:

https://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/sing-a-bit-of-harmony/

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The next Yamato thing has been announced and :eyepop: at that year

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-01-19/next-space-battleship-yamato-remake-anime-is-be-forever-yamato-rebel-3199-sequel/.181695

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Julias posted:

Thanks for the heads up btw. Was able to catch this subbed today. Was a bit cheesy and predictable, but was still a solidly fun film.

Yea, I caught it last night and had a good time. Wish that third act wasn't so rote but heck, it was pretty funny throughout so that made up for it. Nice way to spend an evening :cheerdoge:

I can easily imagine a world in which it's a 12 episode tv anime instead and loses its momentum, so I'm glad it was a movie.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

roobots posted:

Sometimes it's just neat to see how panels from a manga are adapted into an anime from an artistic perspective and it doesn't have to be a pissing match about anime vs manga. I went from "Oh what a neat video, illustrators and animators are so cool and talented!" to a bunch of weird replies pitting them against each other.

:hai:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Brutal Garcon posted:

You should.

(People in this anime forum are real bad at watching anime, somehow)

Not me I'm awesome at watching anime, especially in the winter when I can watch even more while exercising indoors.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Wholesome Horney is the aesthetic that whips

:blastu:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

wholesome or comfy

kill one, be stuck with the other

This is one hell of a sophie's choice but I guess it's wholesome's time to go.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Level 1 Thief posted:

Absolutely disgusted at the thought of people seeing a show about nice people being nice to each other and calling it wholesome

This but sincerely.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

You people have some loving emotional issues. :stare:

Who, specifically, do you mean by "you people"? That's a heck of a thing to vaguely throw out there!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A movie from last year is now available in English. No idea what to expect since the director's only credits have been as an animator but heck, I'll give it a shot.

https://twitter.com/NetflixAnime/status/1490973688811843589

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Srice posted:

A movie from last year is now available in English. No idea what to expect since the director's only credits have been as an animator but heck, I'll give it a shot.

https://twitter.com/NetflixAnime/status/1490973688811843589

Update on this: It's mediocre, alas. Didn't dislike watching it but wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it.

At least it's just a movie tho, it woulda been easy to just stretch the premise out to make into a full tv series, and it'd suffer for it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's because Nagatoro is cheugy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

I really wish horny anime would start putting the characters in college instead of high school. It's not like american/western media never sexualizes teenagers but that does not make it better when "fully nude high schoolers" gets a "yeah I expected as much" and "you should have seen this coming after episodes 2 and 5" for random anime people enjoy #8 this season

:hai:

marumaru posted:

it's a very unfortunate cultural aspect of japanese culture. last time i talked about it in this subforum i got told off so i'll refrain from doing so this time around, but you can find a ton of (honestly interesting) reading about it online

:blastu:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neat that they're finally making more Spice and Wolf but dang, it has been more than a decade since that last season so I dunno if I'll even watch it. Pretty tough for me to get motivated about a continuation after such a long absence.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ah, that's good then.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Don't really see anything I'm interested in next season but heck, a bunch of recent movies will be readily available in English over the next few months so I'll live.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Julias posted:

Is there a good website that compiles which anime films are getting western theater runs? I had a blast going to see "sing a bit of harmony" and have been thinking of making it a regular thing.

Sadly no. The twitter accounts for the few companies that distribute anime movies in the US are handy but I just rely on checking my local theater's listings whenever they put out the schedule for the week. Something I do in general anyways since unless it's a big movie, it's frequently not even listed on their coming soon page until it's a week away (If I didn't do that I woulda completely missed Drive My Car!).

As an aside, the Jujutsu Kaisen prequel movie is coming out next week so there's that!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1504495394423812100

The FLCL sequels already salted the earth so y'know what maybe this is what it deserves.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm not angry at all, though lol at them bringing The Pillows back yet again (by far the worst move the sequels made).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Maera Sior posted:

There's a trailer for RE:cycle of the Penguindrum and... god drat it Ikuhara, what are you doing this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTSJPhPXdxQ

Like usual Ikuhara is doing a good thing, that's what