Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Little worried about Bisque Doll given that Cloverworks is running three shows, and one of them (Tokyo 24th Ward) is already known to be a catastrophic production trainwreck. I'd be surprised if the other two manage to go all that smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Literally swept off their feet and into a whole new world by a sexy, charismatic Canadian.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

Gimme an anime about caber tossing.

A finger on the giant demon monkey's paw curls, and Wyald from Berserk gets to star in his own spin-off anime.

He does actually use a textbook caber toss on multiple occasions, including when he impales that dude on a church steeple.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 3, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

What would be the best anime based off of a mobile game with gacha mechanics?

I'm personally inclined to say Uma Musume, but I'm sure there are assorted idol fans who'd disagree. Princess Connect also seems to have positivity attached to it as well, even though I will never not see it as "The reason there's no Konosuba season 3"

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis was a lot of fun (even if Virgin Soul was kind of a disaster).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Starsnostars posted:

Bisque Doll had a very good first episode. I liked how passionate the characters were about their hobbies.

Yeah, if horny shonen romcoms are your jam, then Bisque Doll is a real masterclass in cosplay as an art form by an author who's clearly just as enthusiastic about it as her cast of characters.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's horny in that it's a romcom about a hormonal teenage couple where the dude makes sexy outfits for a sexy girl who enjoys teasing him. So, yeah, kind of baked into the premise. Also, (future manga spoilers) there's an entire arc about her learning to be a sexy teenage boy in order to melt the minds of an all-female panel of judges, for a bit of variety.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

Tribe Nine is to baseball as Akudama Drive was to...whatever genre it was. Heist I guess?

Okay it doesn't grab me quite as hard as Akudama Drive or Dangan Ronpa did out of the gate but the episode 1 throwaway villain pitches with a suit of power armor and a baseball railgun so I'll give it a chance.

That would be because both shows are created by Kazutaka Kodaka, the Danganronpa guy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

tons of the current wave of fantasy LN shows use that exact same circular walled medieval city design

it's kind of become an emblem of the genre's sameness and lack of imagination but they keep throwing it out there

I mean, they could at least go for something other than red tiled roofs, mix it up a little.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Are Pecorine and Karyl still a cute couple?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

marumaru posted:

ive managed to successfully dodge attack on titan spoilers so far, with a few close calls. loving reddit of all things seems intent on dropping spoilers, so i had to take some desperate measures.
demon slayer is really surprising, didn't expect it to be that good, first season and the movie were just alright in my book.
cosplay show is interesting and has very good art at the very least, will keep watching for a few more episodes unless it suddenly gets really bad.
does ousama ranking count? it's still going and it's phenomenal.

The Bisque Doll manga is a consistently charming (and surprisingly educational) romcom, so the source material is unlikely to be a dealbreaker if you've enjoyed it so far. There is the chance of a Cloverworks production meltdown, but that's the only big potential problem I can see.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, double-headed pickaxes are super common, historically, and simply adding bladed edges to the points in order to increase your weapon's versatility doesn't seem mind-blowingly crazy. It's even got a pre-existing upgrade in anime insanity, in the form of bladed anchors like the one that Guilty Gear's May uses. I'd rank it pretty low on the huge list of unlikely anime weapons - certainly below stuff like those gigantic windmill shuriken you sometimes see ninja using.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

.... or just keep adding even more blades

There's a lot of very strange things about Hidan's scythe, but one that particularly strikes me is that all the blades are on the outer edges. It seems to be designed for being awkwardly pushed into people.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Brutal Garcon posted:

That makes more sense, with a normal scythe you'd have to get it behind them somehow

It's a polearm designed for wide, sweeping strikes, meaning there's decent odds that whatever you're swinging at will be inside the reach of the head rather than outside. This is why most such ancient and medieval polearms (like halberds, bills, and falxes) had blades that faced diagonally inward, not outward. I mean, yeah, it's not a terribly practical design whatever you do with it, but having double-edged blades to turn it into a triple-bladed dagger-axe (actually a real thing - see the gallery in my link!) feels like a minimum concession to sanity.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

marumaru posted:

people are talking about dumb weapons when people really do be using sword in universes where firearms exist

TBF, that was a thing all the way up to and including World War II. And no, I'm not just talking about Jack Churchill.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

age was the most ambitious gundam series since seed and its failure is probably part of the reason they were more cautious with g-reco and ibo and why they pivoted to spinoff uc stuff/more blatant toy commercials for a few years there

How, exactly, are we defining 'ambitious' here? Not seeing the obvious distinction in ambition between IBO and AGE.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Isn't Tomino now a Living National Treasure, or is he the next rank down?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think it works better for Vanitas than for other shows that do it because (a) it's such a cheerfully campy, indulgent show that the overwrought drama is just part of the fun, and (b) it feels appropriate to the protagonists being absolutely ridiculous people who can't manage consistent gravitas to save their lives, and who can make even the most serious situations sillier by their very presence. They're a himbo and a gremlin who have a reality-distortion field on par with Monkey D. Luffy himself.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The redemption arc in 2202 for the guy who was Actually, Literally Space Hitler in 2199 didn't exactly land so well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Davincie posted:

dessler redeemed himself in the original too, its hardly the main problem with 2202 (and yamato as a whole is a series about redemption anyway)

Again, though, 2199 really pushed the Hitler comparisons. He had a secret police chief named Heydom Gimleh, for Christ's sake.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Colonel posted:

yeah thats not the product of the subs or anything she's just. like that.

Well, it is in that localising slang takes more effort than a dry, literal translation. They're rising to the challenge, which subbers often don't.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

They better be bringing back the artists from the OST.

Where Taro goes, Okabe follows. If he was prepared to score original tracks for the FFXIV crossover, he's definitely going to be doing the music for the anime.

For anyone who's been unfortunate enough not to hear his Weight of the World/Final Fantasy main theme medley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ316QcDt9M

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 23, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Wrong Way To Use Healing Magic is apparently getting an anime. As isekai go, it's pretty charming - it's got a fun cast of characters who it treats kindly (expect Rose to shoot to the top of a lot of 'Best Girl' polls), and while the protagonist is OP enough to be amusing, he's not OP enough to erase all tension - he's got an unconventional powerset that lets him fight on reasonably even terms with dangerous monsters and veteran warriors (and win with a bit of help from his friends), rather than just effortlessly steamrollering through everything in his path.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

the latest chapter has slaves and it does the mealymouth "i dont approve but thats the reality of this world" thing. I got the sense from the story flow that it's gonna be anti-slavery, but there's still room for it to go either way. I don't know if I'll continue it anyway, previous attempts at tackling real issues have been tepid at best and I don't think they'll succeed here either.

His current travelling companion (a member of a disadvantaged minority who apparently gets a particularly raw deal in the slavery kingdom) looked absolutely traumatised when she saw a slave in a collar and chains, so odds are that the protagonist is about to get a reality check of 'lol, you idiot, slavery sucks here too'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I think the One Piece site said it would be indefinite.

Goddamn, wasn't sure anything could derail the One Piece anime train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Space Flower posted:

feel free to start with like volume 4 or something if you're reading the manga since that's where some content gets cut like several chapters of shopping for materials. or don't if you're a wuss

I do enjoy how material research and shopping serve the same structural place in a MDUD arc as training to master a new move in a shonen action series.