Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The AOTY 2021 thread is up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989334

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why would people complain about Lum when it already happens all the time with Lupin and no one says a thing

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nitrousoxide posted:

Whew the first episode of “In the land of Leadale” looks really cheaply made.

the key visual looks really cheaply made

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
wasn't there someone before who posted about never watching the op out of an intense fear of spoilers

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

marumaru posted:

I always watch the op at least once but it's never in the first episode

is it because you have an intense fear of spoilers

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

kater posted:

Cue seems a pretty good garbage fire of a show. Fifteen plus characters lol.

not much different from your average idolm@ster anime's cast size, and they've already confirmed the show is 24 eps. plenty of time to give everyone at least one focus ep if they so choose

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The 7th Guest posted:

animes that skip the OP in their first episode to run credits over actual story, are cowards

having a chuckle thinking about idolish7 s3 again, which aired its first two eps with no op, and then the director tweeted about how they have to keep cutting the op for time. so the replies were all like "oh, so we're getting the op in ep 3?"

then ep 3 airs and they cut out the ed too

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
all the other criticisms of the show in this thread are about the cast size and i think thats just funny

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

kater posted:

I didn’t want to get into details but I was mega in to everyone doing a reading of hamlet and that is sufficiently ridiculous I think garbage fire encompasses it. Legit looking forward to it if it decided that was a cool intro.

why did you call something you liked a garbage fire???

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Perhaps because it's the overused medieval fantasy circular city layout that's also seen in the link provided

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nerdlingen

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wow THAT just happened

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Colonel posted:

i think stone ocean has bigger problems with an urusei yatsura reboot killing davidpro's production schedule

i imagine the movie for enstars releasing in march is the more immediate chokepoint on production

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kung Food posted:

Putting this out there, but the reason the show is bad is because all of the things you say own, in fact do not own. In fact they actually suck a whole lot. Further putting this out there, that mall ninja weapons like the punch shark, are in fact silly and stupid. An anime based on the punch shark would be doomed to be bad, just like an anime based on a double scythe would be doomed to be bad.

bro just watch the show and form your own opinions

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
summoning stardust dragon from what, the trash can

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
unfortunately subs of japanese dubs of chinese anime are the only way we're getting decent translations of the content

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

u will get one (1) gay crush that goes unacknowledged by one side for 95% of the series and like it

You will get one gay crush who dies and like it

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

'Those Snow White Notes' is about a high school kid whose grandfather was a renowned shamisen musician and his attempts to follow in his footsteps but I didn't watch beyond the first episode. Apparently it pretty much turns into a Sports Anime with him joining a high school club, learning to appreciate/trust/work with his team mates, going to summer training camp to improve, and ends with the club competing in the big regional competition

It also ends in the middle abruptly with no conclusion. Feels like the mangaka ran out of ideas early once it became a school club thing

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Has the one cour sports anime curse where they try to convince the audience that a bunch of total beginners can place highly in a tournament with the powerhouse schools

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

yeah i need Bastard to back off so they can dedicate their time and energy to the real star: code black #000000 season 2

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The references they put in the osomatsu san ep that got it copyright striked out of existence

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Squidster posted:

The word that needs to be flung from net parlance forever is 'underrated.' My eye twitches whenever I see someone posting a clip from MHA or AoT and calling some household name mega-brand underrated.

let the teens have their fun

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
i think sasamiya was definitely falsely sold to me as slow burn, because i imagine slow burn as the process of falling in love and not "instant attraction and being too stupid and/or scared to say it"

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

???????

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
why

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Julias posted:

You saw this with Persona 4 the animation, where the anime adaptation decided to make the player character really snarky and goofy, and everyone loved the anime version of him more than the boring stoic character you often see them depicted as.

You see this in the Devil survivor 2 anime where they did the opposite

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
a darker take than the mass genocide that already happens in the story?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Willo567 posted:

I love it when White Americans tell Japan that they need to fix their culture, while the U.S. is deeply rooted in systematic racism.

Thinking back to that one lovely webcomic artist with the bear avatar saying that the U.S. needs to send Japan to sensitivity training while telling people who live outside the U.S. who criticizes it to STFU

Sir are you white

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
winter 2022 has been very surprising in that i didnt think i could be more let down by a season than fall 2021

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

Come to think of it, I haven't seen really any mention of Ryman Club. Did it fall right out of the gate? I was thinking about watching it, but it seems to be not really on any radar.

it being 3 weeks behind every other show this season doesn't really help it with momentum. i don't really have high hopes for what it's shown so far tho. past episode 1, the sports action scenes are mostly stills, and the show doesn't let you see things like the mc stumbling through his very first proposal presentation ever. also i think giving the mc super magical foresight powers clashes with the setting, especially when it gets used to profile a petty shoplifter and save the day from having him steal like ten dollars worth of food from a supermarket

i would most liken it to bakuten from last year in its shallow cast and poorly developed themes

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hype

Surprised Shouta Aoi isn't Philip here, that's like his typecast niche

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's no way to avoid the slavery element all fantasy authors are forced to include in their works

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Asterite34 posted:

What the gently caress is with isekai stuff and slavery? Like it's either grudgingly tolerated, glossed over as just a setting conceit nobody really pays attention to but is nonetheless there, or wholeheartedly embraced and romanticized. Is it part of the wish fulfillment fantasy? Or is it the equivalent of nerds who insist that their gritty medieval European fantasy novels about dragons and elves lacks verisimilitude without rape stuff?

It's just a common trope in trashy fantasy writing, and isekai is just a sub genre. Consider that even Harry Potter has it

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
slavery is bad

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tales of Woe posted:

just remembered that disney+ picked up summertime render as their first foray into seasonal anime, wonder how thats gonna turn out in terms of when subs are available and how passable they are

i'm guessing "dub only"

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes I am. It's a bad show but also the show I'm enjoying most out of the five shows I'm watching this season

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
it's very technically incompetent with the narrative plotting being a mess and the animation in each ep being half stills with cross fades, but i can't help but be invested in the gay love polygon(can you call it that? they all point to the same vertice) melodrama between the protagonist, the enemy faction's king, that king's son, and that king's son's wife who he is in a loveless marriage with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
in contrast, cue has some insipid episodes featuring such grand narratives as "girl gets overly attached to lost cat and struggles with returning it to its owner" and "girl gets over her voiceacting hurdle by having the director remind she has friends even though one of them has already been helping her rehearse in her offtime for weeks"

sasaki and miyano has terminally ill pacing and sasaki comes off like an abuser for how insanely jealous he gets over miyano having normal conversations with his classmates. he meets him alone in a classroom once where he secretly locks the door after entering, and it's super weird how no one comments on this afterwards

tribe nine just seems directionless. the baseball aspect is very underutilized with how little they show of each game, and it's hard to care about any of it because there's like no strategy to any of the game elements. also the sound design of the background music drowning out the voiceacting has not gotten better

i don't really know what theyre doing with ryman's club. it's half over and the only plotline was dealing with our lead's high school trauma where his teammate ended up injured, but the guy shows back up and his internal monologue is like "oh actually i never blamed you for any of it" but also he made no effort to try to actually contact or talk to him at all for like a year before they happened to see each other at a tournament. it's stupid teen drama that feels out of place for a show nominally about working adults.