Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Why would people complain about Lum when it already happens all the time with Lupin and no one says a thing

Hardly "all the time". Although there's the usual rough drafts with pilot films, and a weird thing with the Fuma Conspiracy, the main Lupin cast held the role for decades, with a bit of a show every time the role got passed down, often to a hand-picked successor. They make a point of ending things on good terms, so the new VA can start without issue.

I think that's also part of why they had Hathaway's original VA get a cameo role in the new movie this year. Assuming the original VAs are active, you want to get their blessing when recasting. Helps avoid bad publicity and fan backlash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

kater posted:

Cue seems a pretty good garbage fire of a show. Fifteen plus characters lol.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded introduces 23 characters in episode 1, with most of them remaining relevant in one way or another for the entire series, even ignoring the dozens of characters introduced later.

It's a matter of how well a show juggles the cast as much as it is raw size.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

copy posted:

lol that sounds awesome

Layzner's a deeply weird series, and sadly not a good one, despite really good OPs and a bunch of things that, on paper, sound badass.

One thing that stands out is how it's the one show I've seen that goes all in on the pilot not mattering. Put Iok in a good SPT, and he'll dominate the universe.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

kater posted:

Also I watched the war of the roses anime and it was dope too.

I may be incapable of disliking something.

I've got some test cases available if you're interested in applying science to this problem.

We can start with Skelter Heaven, Mars of Destruction, and the Mr. Neutron episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus. If there's no response there, we've got a pretty good case.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Wow THAT just happened

I just hope the assassination of the Archduke by Black Hand anarchists won't lead to a conflict in Serbia.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Namtab posted:

I read all of worlds end harem ask me anything

Is it safe?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kung Food posted:

:confused:
This looks cool? That's some especially mall ninja horse poo poo in a medium known for mall ninja horse poo poo. Top award for weapon more dangerous to the user than the target.

The greatest martial artists know that the true enemy is the self. Therefore, that weapon is the greatest you could ask for.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Colonel posted:

the manga runs in a magazine for teenagers

Not exactly a rare trait, and thus not a particularly good defense.

Plenty of manga have over-the-top weapons that either look cool or have enough thought put into them to at least pass for reasonable at a glance. The double scythe has all the impracticality of gun-chuks with all the excitement of a two by four. It might not be the worst thing about the series, but it is an easy thing to point at to say "They thought this was a selling point."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

yeah they discontinued the timeslot after ibo

They just needed a few years to wash out all the blood and viscera Mikazuki left all over the timeslots.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

genericnick posted:

OK, but they had confidence in Age?

Yep. Level 5 had some massive hits before and after Age, so Bandai had a huge merch rollout ready, confident that this would move a ton of product.

They were wrong.

Fortunately, Unicorn was making all the money, so they took Age as a learning experience.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

How, exactly, are we defining 'ambitious' here? Not seeing the obvious distinction in ambition between IBO and AGE.

I think IBO was less ambitious in merchandising, at least in Japan, because it didn't have the tons of extra toylines, the mega scale model, the instant MGs, or the tie-in game. It also only launched with one season locked in, while Age started with a full fifty episodes guaranteed, showing a bit more restraint.

(On the other hand, IBO did have a much bigger international push, even early on, so there's some advantage on its end in terms of ambitions.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

tie-in video games, a more heavily pushed toyline (age got a ton of random one-off grunt mechs made into toys before they were even in the show and its own new scale of gunpla), etc. basically what chiasaur said.

ibo only committed to toys of the main mechs and a couple grunts, didn't get any MGs right away instead doing a handful of 1/100s, only locked in a s1, etc. you can see this if you look at the toylines, a lot of the secondary s1 mechs in ibo only got gunpla while s2 was airing. age was definitely an all-in for sunrise and level-5.

Not a lot. IBO got HG kits for all but two of the mechs in season 1 (with one of the missing kits handled in season 2's line), although some of the color variants were P-Bandai. Season 2 added a few more (the Gilda, the Garm Rodi, the Hloekk Graze), but it's one of the better covered series overall. Sticking to Age, the first arc alone is missing the Desperado, the gala, the Zila, the Elmeda, the Xeno, and the Defurse as kits.)

Much as I would like a Spinner Rodi, I don't think that was a sign of a lack of faith. (Note that there still isn't a kit for the Alvaaron from 00). It's just that Age's launch was insane.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

the lack of spinner rodi is absolutely a sign of a lack of faith and i will not stand for this

EDIT: For real though, part of this is that IBO S1 had way fewer mechs than AGE Gen 1.

Looking at kit counts, IBO had 18 HG kits released for the first season, out of 20 designs. (Well, depending how you count Graze recolors).

AGE had 9 HGs released for Gen 1 before the first Gen 2 kit came out in January 2012, the same month as Asemu showed up on TV. The show, meanwhile, had 20 designs, the same as season 1 of IBO.

In other words, IBO had a much better throughput.

(Sorry about all this, everyone. I was just curious about the data for this bit, so I started doing some research.)

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

uc has colonies, so they don't need to muck about with hostile environments like mercury.

PD has colonies and terraformed planets. No reason to eliminate options.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

It'd be nice if we got a new AU Gundam. Seems like last couple of years we've only gotten UC content.

We got Build as well, but yeah. It's been a while, with Witch being the first full AU since Iron Blooded Orphans.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Isn't Tomino now a Living National Treasure, or is he the next rank down?

Person of Cultural Merit, so yeah. Next rank down.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

the webnovel its from is 10+ years old so i wouldn't expect it to have any clever new spin on the formula

I mean, old fiction often has interesting ideas that kind of get filtered out of the copies. Like the original Gundam had some serious consideration of the trauma of combat and how it'd hit the young that was pretty much gone by Gundam X (letting Eva feel more distinct), or how the original Dracula had a much better and more nuanced treatment of Mina and Jonathan's relationship than the adaptations.

Later generation isekai are often purely inspired by isekai rather than drawing from a wider pool, making them much less interesting, while older iterations might have some genuine original spark.

Not saying it's the case here. Just noting that going back to the roots of a fictional genre can often feel surprisingly fresh.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

wholesome or comfy

kill one, be stuck with the other

Kill wholesome. Comfy at least has kept some association between its use and its meaning.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Someone's making a smartass crack about Vox Machina on Amazon, pretending to think it's a dubbed anime.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

That one, I can't answer.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why is there a Shenmue Anime. That sounds like the most boring story I could think to adapt.

Because Shenmue was a hugely influential game that people have fond memories of, despite its flaws. That both means people who want to make it, and people who want to watch it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i dont think shenmue and yakuza are as comparable as they seem because for one, yakuza is designed like a video game

Actually, that might be a good description of the similarities and differences. Yakuza is like if you made Shenmue an actual videogame.

It's got the same wandering around, the same assortment of arcade games (some of the exact same ones in 0 and Shenmue 1, in fact), a comically deadpan protagonist, and a reasonably in-depth combat system. The difference is that Yakuza goes full videogame on top of that. You get XP, clear side quests, a plot with actual progression, frequent fights, and the ability to duck out of most of the dull stuff. In other words, the most infamously Shenmue parts of Shenmue are gone, even if there's common ground.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

My favorite vampire is Jackie Daytona.

His folksy wisdom and keen grasp of the bartending arts gives him a certain charm, but there's always the mystery, you know?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

kater posted:

I don’t remember hearing anything about Blue Period but Netflix was relentless in advertising it and it is pleasant. It’s not like showy but works well enough. Probably better as manga but I don’t have the power to read.

The manga's really good, with some gorgeous scenes and interesting use of art. One of the biggest things the anime loses, though, is the pacing. I forget the exact ratio, but there's something like four chapters an episode, and the chapters are about twice the standard chapter size, so the anime is really, really fast paced compared to the manga, skipping over major parts of the story.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I want an actual shonen with this energy now. :)

Have you ever read Chainsaw Man?

I think you might like the main heroine of that one.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Um, excuse me, Power is not anything like that. :colbert:

Power also wasn't the Chainsaw Man rep in the color posters of Jump heroines.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Supremezero posted:

The show does explicitly say that they're first year high schoolers, so they would, at oldest, be 16, which isn't really improving things at all.

Technically, since Japanese high school is non-mandatory, first years could be much older. It's not likely, but it's quite possible.

For a current manga example, Ichiro in Shonen Jump's "Kokosei Kazoku" is 45.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

It looks like my local discount theatre is going to get the Jujutsu Kaisen 0 film. My friends haven’t seen the show (even though based off their tastes I’d know they’d like it) would this movie be a good starting point? I know sometimes prequel movies tend to work in a bit of “oh yeah this is going to set up stuff later on so you only know this is important if you’ve seen the later material” so I just want to be sure that if I invite friends they can enjoy it on its own merits and they will maybe finally check out the show.

Well, the manga was a standalone when it was made, if that helps. The later material was only developed after the short manga was a hit. Should be fine.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Namtab posted:

In/Spectre gadget

Originally, it was going to be a Lupin III spin-off for western audiences about his ghostbusting descendant. But after that fell through, they took things in a different direction.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Splode posted:

I'm glad that fell through, that would have been terrible

Just to be clear, that was an Inspector Gadget joke, because that was originally conceived of as Lupin IV in the early draft stages.

There was never a plan to make In/Spectre a Lupin spinoff, as far as I know.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Davincie posted:

name one reason why

Abraham Lincoln said it sucked.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

i'm guessing "dub only"

Star Wars Visions had subs or dub as an option, so I don't think that's going to be a problem here.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Davincie posted:

i called around a few times with Enterbrain and Kodansha and after a few meetings, some drinks and plenty of visits to hostess clubs we all decided the just announced anime My Life as Inukai-san's Dog deserved more budget. As a consequence we have given delicious in dungeon to a lower tier studio to be able to properly allocate the budget to more deserving series

Oh... ah, crap.

See, I was talking to the boss, and he was saying something about some anime about being someone's dog, and make sure all the money went to that, and...

Look, he was drunk, my Japanese isn't the best, and I had a guy from Shueisha on the other line, so I kind of assumed he just meant the one everyone online was making barking noises about, and I gave Mappa all the money for Chainsaw Man. Then I panicked because I remembered the money was supposed to go to Enterbrain, and I took the money that they were planning to use on Hinamatsuri season 2 and invested it into some cooking manga they're doing as a distraction. My bad.

I think the cooking manga might have a ninja catgirl somewhere, though, so it's probably an isekai, and that's gotta be a safe investment.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

Progressive and Alternative were both very good and I've long had the impression the mixed response was less due to any actual difference in quality and more bc the sequels were pushed out quickly in sequence, one and done'd and then thrown in the vault, denying potential fans the chance to sit and ruminate on what the gently caress they just watched their whole adolescence the way og fans got. Ppl forget, AS ran FLCL every weekday of the summer one year and w the silly 2 eps per disc release at the time, fans burned that poo poo into their brains in a way neither following show had a shot at.

Nah. As someone who quite liked Prog, it's nowhere near the original. The sound mixing alone prevents it from being treated as on par. It's an interesting enough sequel show to a landmark OVA.

I also can go into a massive rant on why Alt is terrible basically at the drop of a hat, so that puts me at one for two with these things. Not the kind of batting average that encourages sending someone in to make another swing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Malsangoroth posted:

Please do, I was thinking of watching it. Progressive at least had one or two good episodes, but the ending was such a letdown that I never bothered with Alternative. Still interested in hearing why it was such a trainwreck though.

Right. I'll do my best, then.

So, one of the things about Alt is that, for the first four episodes, it's much more divided than the original or Prog. FLCL and Prog both have the absurdity and the more down to earth aspects interplay with each other. Canti goes to work at Naota's family shop, while Eri gets drawn into the plot with Naota's N/O channel. Everyone seems to take the weird as part of their normal. Meanwhile, Alt tends to have the plot go normal until the robot shows up, then Haruko does a fight, and things get back to normal. The two tones don't integrate with each other.

This is made worse because neither aspect is that strong on its own. The girls club side of things isn't as fun as the leads in something like Eizouken or a Place Further than the Universe, while the robot fights are just kind of perfunctory.

The bit that makes me really hate it, though, is Haruko. In the original, part of what makes her work is the steady build from "Haruko's the frequently inappropriate comic relief co-protagonist" to "Oh, right. She's the villain." She's a dynamic character with her own goals which become clearer in hindsight, while the comedy relief aspects are just spice.

Prog recognizes this, and just kind of skips ahead to the part where she's the villain, pitting her against the teenage protagonists while further developing her pursuit of Atomsk.

Alt, on the other hand, just has her as the comic relief. She doesn't have real motives of her own. She's just in the show to do fights, help the good guys, and make inappropriate jokes. There's no larger agenda

To put it in Chainsaw Man spoilers, Haruko is Makima, and Alt tries to play it like she's Power.

Alt's also kind of dull visually. Not like it's bad, but the original and even Prog had episodes and scenes going to completely new styles, trying to push the medium (original more than Prog, naturally). Alt, meanwhile, just goes in with its standard style throughout. It's mundane, which FLCL shouldn't be.

But yeah. It's mostly the Haruko thing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

marumaru posted:

Dress up darling came up in a convo today and I was asked if they should watch it
I literally did the asterisk thing. I'm sorry anime thread

You mean you punched a Roman centurion so hard his helmet went flying?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's also an Imaishi joint so at least it will be more visually interesting than the game

It also was said to be finished months ago, so Trigger's probably not occupied with it now. The only thing I know they're working on right now is the Gridman and Dynazenon movie, which should be great, but it's also probably not enough to occupy the whole studio, especially not with how good Akira Amemiya is at time management. So, Trigger doing another anime right now isn't an absurd possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

don't particularly feel like trigger is a great fit for hypothetical dungeon meshi anime, regardless of availability

I mean, the trailer was great.