Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

can't wait for cute cops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND1ZVAIQr1Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Fangz posted:

I'm more concerned that the two directors they list don't seem very impressive.

jojo part 5 was good, i'll give them rope on that basis

anyway yes they should've chosen a better VA than kamiya

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's just mini soccer so i find it less remarkable than say

the pv looking sus, the whole project having been delayed from last year, and the insane gimmick of having VAs do irl futsal matches that affect the story (probably just of the mobage rather than anime)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

let's not say things we can't take back

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's okay dav we finally get cute cops today

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Rage of Bahamut s1

Magatsu Wahrheit Zuerst was a more recent one that was solid

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they decided to smother the production of their third show this season to compensate

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

did you see literally any of the costumes in the OP

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

marumaru posted:

is it allowed for one to be sex positive and also not love anime fanservice especially when it's in highschool settings?

most of the time these series are targeted at teens so i don't know what the expectation is

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't feel like, generally speaking, mobage adaptations have earned much benefit of the doubt

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the one that isn't cringe isekai of a teen schooling everyone on economics 101 is slightly more appealing

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

realist hero was not even well produced in its first two episodes, unless you are just always grading on a curve

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kirtar posted:

Genius hero wasn't exactly better considering how bad it looks in motion and the fact that they clearly had to just use episode animation for both the OP and ED.

i just have a hard time imagining there's much difference in the failings of both shows' productions, from what I've seen of the genius hero premiere. would agree that neither is particularly good in that regard.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

spoilers will be further delayed by them not actually finishing the series this time either and needing to do a movie

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

itt people learn it's a shonen manga

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

in terms of nonsequel noncontinuations, the shows i'm hooking onto so far are

Slow Loop aka sloop - i feel like this is a good counterpart to just having watched Teibou, 1) i don't have any preconceived notions about the characters to disappoint me and 2) it having more character focus gives me exactly what i felt was missing from Teibou despite its other strengths

Sabikui Bisco - the first two eps are needlessly disjointed but aside from that this has been a lovely bit of weirdness and bombast. the energy makes me think more of Needless but the Dorohedoro comparisons aren't off base either. there's also notable directorial staff crossover between this and a recent classic of stupidity (affectionate), ID:invaded.

Tokyo 24 - the impending production disaster will probably make or break this as a series that leverages action blockbuster sensibility for its appeal. there could still be promise in how they handle the plot points regarding implementation of a Minority Report-esque crime/accident detection system and the interpersonal drama from the death of the cast's childhood friend.

Tribe Nine - this is exactly what it looks like, Danganronpa-flavor baseball incl. (sometimes annoyingly) blasting soundtrack. actually not a huge DR fan but i can appreciate the sensibility in Akudama Drive and this. also has been a bit since i watched a stupid superpower sports show.

Bisque Doll/Akebi - the non-doomed Cloverworks shows, not much to add on Bisque aside from ep2 was a bit of a drag. the premise and potential is enough i'm still on board though. with Akebi i'm just loving the texture given to everything through the animation and direction, and it has been a strange and funny thing to watch unfold. bonus points as Misaki Kuno returns to fill the Frederica-sized hole in our hearts with another performance as a goblin of a little sister.

oh and it's breaking the sequel season rule but people should be watching Vanitas or putting it on the waitlist for after bluray releases go up. in the wait for more Bungo Stray Dogs, Bones has been keeping their homoerotic battle shonen muscles stretched with this, helmed by a longtime Shaft director who brings some of that trademark style to France/Alterna-VampFrance.

i will probably keep with Hakozume but am finding it a bit drier than i'd like. Fantasy Knockout i need more than just the premiere to judge, not an amazing first impression comedically/gayly. still have high hopes for Ryman's Club but that's more than a week away yet.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well, neither entirely eats the other until the big action finale. there's a whole New York date episode before that and it's lovely, smh in general the Takt/Destiny relationship is a big part of what even makes the show work for the times it does.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

its fine, just pretend it's a pickaxe

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the dinner conversation must be positively lyrical

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the weapon designs alone aren't making it a cheaply produced and middling shonen adaptation

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like the weird butthole-face cat monsters are worse than a pretty bland double scythe

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

really sad to see the vanguard franchise turn their back on jam tbh

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

something something one punch man and mob psycho

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

How, exactly, are we defining 'ambitious' here? Not seeing the obvious distinction in ambition between IBO and AGE.

a level-5 crossover with the conceit being a story that spans three generations of a family

there's definitely ambition to that

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Triggerhappypilot posted:

The difference between Age and IBO was that Age was an attempt to market gundam to an entirely new generation of kids for whom the mecha genre was old fashioned to the point of being the dad-rock of anime. After its failure, IBO instead marketed to the core Gundam demographic of Fujoshi

they should've tried harder

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

what would actually improve the angle is more mcgillis/gaelio/ein content or similar

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

aside from the first episode and the ending, it gets too bogged down by the mediocre high school stuff imo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

stop expecting anything other than gutter trash from isekai anime

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i really wish they would expand the cast already because the interactions just aren't doing anything for me, esp most of the romance stuff

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

more like holesome, because there's so many random timeskips you don't get a solid narrative!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

After playing with the issue for little while, it's nice that Tokyo 24th Ward has now officially come down on the side of ACAB, with the head of the Minority Report police officially confirming he is a supervillain and the main character in the police is officially a backstabbing POS. If I'm reading the tea leaves right I suspect the next couple of episodes are going to be really rough explicitly on him, which is about what he deserves after this in the last episode.

that Ko showed any remorse about the situation at all made me feel a bit positive towards him, even if his 180 from being a decent human immediately puts that down again. at least the aspects of his motivation (feels he cannot reconcile with friends, his attachment to family being activated albeit in the most ghoulish way, his particular read on mom's rule philosophy etc) get laid on the table this week. i expect they will bring him back from that decision by the end, but hopefully while keeping him at arm's length.

i still have incredibly low expectations for where the show will go both in terms of the production and final statements on governance/policing, but drat if it isn't a compelling weekly watch so far. and surprisingly it didn't even need to keep doing the ep1 action movie stuff to carry things!

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 11, 2022

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

nice, dress-up darling finally adds a third character and her dynamic with marin is fun. crisis averted

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm not sure why she would be annoying, basically everything bad about her is immediately disarmed and turned against her by gojo and marin

and honestly the two of them were a bit boringly pure until now. it's nice to have a little freak who stalks and tries to do some blackmail, only getting traction on the latter because gojo is as stupid as she is

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well when it's limping along as an anime because of this:

Endorph posted:

because its a marketing exercise, not an attempt to tell a compelling story.

it's only natural there's some hostility. as something pushed by CR/AS it also gets to sit in that nicely developing niche of western commercialization pushes in anime.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Arist posted:

I don't really understand the claim that it's "limping along," it's aired two episodes and both of them were decent. I really don't care about Shenmue as a property outside of weird memes and the show is fine so far.

Also the medium of Japanimation is full of marketing exercises, this isn't a particularly egregious example. It's not even promoting anything relevant.

i'm not married to the word choice, but it's a franchise where the long-awaited sequel landed weakly and they didn't confirm a follow up. like it took a beating there and the anime is just kind of a weird thing to have crop up. it feels like the growing thing of Western companies taking some IP they believe can be pumped and spinning it into anime for that growing market. CR/AS have previously done this with Blade Runner, Netflix did Altered Carbon and Bright while inflating Super Crooks' episode count, and Amazon is doing the same with their LotR push. not having an accompanying product to push isn't really the point, the brand is the brand and the content boosts the platform(s) commissioning it. idk how weird of a pull Shenmue is from that angle, but i won't pretend CR is smart in their selections (see their past originals lineup).

don't really care about the Japanese examples, obviously i dislike the Kadokawa 40 or ongoing isekai boom in the same vein. this is just part of a slightly more recent and annoying trend.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Hirano is quite bad at them, at least judging from Drifters

agree that i have not really minded them in Vanitas specifically since Vanitas and Noe are both the sort of disarming idiots who are always bringing one thing or another to a screeching halt. my issue with this season is more it's just spinning a lot of plates that don't involve Vanitas/Noe and you end up with a lot of scattered bits that don't mesh elegantly. a very apparent example in the most recent eps was them setting Astolfo up for a rematch that is immediately dropped lol. but i haven't had much issue getting into the Chloe storyline so it hasn't impacted the meat of things.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

good news, it's a shonen

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tabletops posted:

Catching up on dress up darling. It was already kinda too much and then episode 6 rolls around why it gotta be like this

after episodes like 2 and 5, have your expectations not been sufficiently set? it's a horny series.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tabletops posted:

I was expecting the horniness, not the pedobait character to be the object of it

fair enough, i definitely set my expectations pretty hard and fast just from the dress measuring episode.