Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

OwlFancier posted:

Everything is a crime if someone in power wants it to be, the law is just there to give lawyers something to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
This isn't a crime, but we're going to treat it like a crime because :flegs:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

roomtone posted:

how is this even a crime

Seems like posting things just to upset others is a crime in UK.

Can't wait to see Rowling behind bars now!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Nenonen posted:

Seems like posting things just to upset others is a crime in UK.

Can't wait to see Rowling behind bars now!

there are lots of old timey laws still on the books like worrying the vicars cat means the death penalty

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/Pandamoanimum/status/1488289749752291331?t=RZhc25OwUHjYCpd3cYrD2w&s=09

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jel Shaker posted:

there are lots of old timey laws still on the books like worrying the vicars cat means the death penalty

No, it's a fairly modern law, unsurprisingly a Blair-era one - the Criminal Justice and Police Act 2001 [1] makes it an offence to send a malicious communication, where "malicious" is defined as "a message which is indecent or grossly offensive [...] if his purpose[...] in sending it is that it should,[...]cause distress or anxiety to the recipient or to any other person to whom he intends that it or its contents or nature should be communicated.

And yes, that's a *stupendously* broad definition of "malicious" to use for social media post.

[1] Well technically Blair just added "This, but for the internet" to the Malicious Communications Act 1988 which only covered post and phone calls but like I say the scope of the offence is *massively* expanded on the internet with that "...to any other person..." clause, because some people can find "distress and anxiety" in just about anything.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/DickMackintosh/status/1488284174897270792

:toot:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The national hero who *checks notes* heroically walked around his garden a bit.

I get that it was hard at his age, but gently caress me, the standards for heroism have really slipped.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

goddamnedtwisto posted:

[1] Well technically Blair just added "This, but for the internet" to the Malicious Communications Act 1988 which only covered post and phone calls but like I say the scope of the offence is *massively* expanded on the internet with that "...to any other person..." clause, because some people can find "distress and anxiety" in just about anything.

So the law treats a social media post as if the poster has personally sent a phone call to every person in the country? This sounds like a great well thought out piece of legislation

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

I can't find any sympathy for Starmer with all this Savile stuff being dragged up. Okay, he wasn't directly responsible, but he was in charge. The buck stops with him. Also, regardless, being smeared as a paedo protector is the least of his worries once we start dredging through his record from his time as DPP. Pick a dodgy British scandal of the last ten or fifteen years and you'll see two names always present on the list of those involved: Cressida Dick and Keir Starmer.

I sincerely hope the next five years sees the absolute destruction of the political mindset in this country as people get more and more pissed off with how things are and finally open their minds to the possibility of something better existing.

It won't be easy. It won't be fun. Things will get worse before they get better, but I truly believe that the start of the 2030s is going to mark a significant change - one way or another - to how things are.

Prole fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 1, 2022

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Yeah, aren't the two people heading up the investigation Sajid Javid's brother and Cressida Dick's partner?!

The Met + gov are so filthy in their open corruption.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Angepain posted:

So the law treats a social media post as if the poster has personally sent a phone call to every person in the country? This sounds like a great well thought out piece of legislation

To be fair there wasn't any social media when it was written.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
You've been very concerned about being fair over the last couple of pages

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Sunburn is no joke imo

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

therattle posted:

She could have Horlicks as long as she had an appropriate amount of insulin for the carbs therein.

Want to patronise me some more? I'm a type 1 diabetic. And even if she's on the DIANE program she'd be advised against a hot sugary drink at the end of the day because you can't monitor the numbers while you sleep.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

To be fair there wasn't any social media when it was written.

It was 2001, there certainly were worldwide-reach communications methods (this very site, for example) and the surrounding context for it was the debate over Godfrey v Demon which had already established that Usenet (and by extension other one-to-many systems) were more akin to publishing or broadcasting than to one-to-one communications, and this specific problem (that it became effectively a method of punishing anyone that annoyed the powers that be) was pointed out by the EFF and other bodies.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I hope the peelers don't catch wind of all the poo poo I've said about captain tom on the https://www.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

keep punching joe posted:

I hope the peelers don't catch wind of all the poo poo I've said about captain tom on the https://www.

Cant believe we're still making Candlejack jokes in TYOO

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jedit posted:

Want to patronise me some more? I'm a type 1 diabetic. And even if she's on the DIANE program she'd be advised against a hot sugary drink at the end of the day because you can't monitor the numbers while you sleep.

Therattle is right though. From what you've said in the past your approach to diabetes management hasn't changed much since the 1980s. That might work for you and you may not feel like there's much reason to change, but a lot of poo poo has happened in the meantime. While it always pays to be cautious I doubt anyone would begrudge someone a cup of cocoa or horlicks or whatever in the evening, and there's no reason someone wouldn't be able to incorporate that safely with a bit of self-experimentation.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Https? Sounds like encryption to me. What have you got to hide? An armed response unit is on its way

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

ThomasPaine posted:

and there's no reason someone wouldn't be able to incorporate that safely with a bit of self-experimentation.

Maybe let it cool down a bit first? Scalding injuries are still scalding injuries regardless of diabetic status.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Hmm awful app converts the letters W W and W into a url, that's annoying.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Total Meatlove posted:

Maybe let it cool down a bit first? Scalding injuries are still scalding injuries regardless of diabetic status.

I really read this as you thinking TP had dropped a sick, ‘get new diabetes methods, old time’ burn on Jedit and was momentarily so confused

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ThomasPaine posted:

Therattle is right though. From what you've said in the past your approach to diabetes management hasn't changed much since the 1980s. That might work for you and you may not feel like there's much reason to change, but a lot of poo poo has happened in the meantime. While it always pays to be cautious I doubt anyone would begrudge someone a cup of cocoa or horlicks or whatever in the evening, and there's no reason someone wouldn't be able to incorporate that safely with a bit of self-experimentation.

Actually, I think I agree with Jedit; I’d be wary of a big whack of carbs before bedtime, even with suitable insulin an a CGR that alerted highs and lows. That said, if it was part of a routine and they had the dosage locked then it would probably be ok.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/nazirafzal/status/1488423664798339077

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Hmm awful app converts the letters W W and W into a url, that's annoying.

Simply type doubleU, doubledoubleU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ThomasPaine posted:

Therattle is right though. From what you've said in the past your approach to diabetes management hasn't changed much since the 1980s.

I'd say it's changed quite a lot considering I wasn't diagnosed until 1998. Be that as it may, though, can you see May choosing to change her routine?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

"Your honor, I plead the fifth"
"Pipe down Bojo and pass the champers, this is Newsnight not Judge Judy"

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I can't help but find this Starmer-Savile thing extremely funny. Especially the liberals trying to put the Anti-Corbyn-playbook genie back into the bottle.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

I'd say it's changed quite a lot considering I wasn't diagnosed until 1998. Be that as it may, though, can you see May choosing to change her routine?

I think this is something we can all agree on.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RupertMyers/status/1488428780683243526

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

therattle posted:

Actually, I think I agree with Jedit; I’d be wary of a big whack of carbs before bedtime, even with suitable insulin an a CGR that alerted highs and lows. That said, if it was part of a routine and they had the dosage locked then it would probably be ok.

Be wary sure, but it's very possible and I doubt any professional today would 'advise against it' as long as the person concerned knew what they were doing.

Jedit posted:

1990s then! Point stands.

I earnestly believe Theresa May hires someone to constantly be doing the arithmetic behind the scenes so she can do whatever she wants without worrying. She has that insane posho energy, definitely has someone to dress her in the morning.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 1, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It was 2001, there certainly were worldwide-reach communications methods (this very site, for example) and the surrounding context for it was the debate over Godfrey v Demon which had already established that Usenet (and by extension other one-to-many systems) were more akin to publishing or broadcasting than to one-to-one communications, and this specific problem (that it became effectively a method of punishing anyone that annoyed the powers that be) was pointed out by the EFF and other bodies.

I knew you'd argue about this. I mean the wiki on social media reckons you can say we had it in the 1960's. But no, thats an applied version of history with the context of hindsight.

Like theres a difference, and I would expect different laws to exist governing their usage, between the first few automobiles trundling round at 3 mph and our current road network even though you would be right to say we had cars all throughout this time period.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 1, 2022

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Jakabite posted:

I really read this as you thinking TP had dropped a sick, ‘get new diabetes methods, old time’ burn on Jedit and was momentarily so confused

I feel like it would be letting the thread down to not make the wanking joke

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Just the cut & thrust of the mother of all parliaments: you can suggest your opponent is soft on paedophile but you can't call then liars

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Sometimes I'm still being fair, I just don't write it at the start of my sentence, to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Just the cut & thrust of the mother of all parliaments: you can suggest your opponent is soft on paedophile but you can't call then liars
Can you suggest that they're hard on paedophile?

Oh hey it's February again already!