Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I stil haven't finished season 3 of Leftovers because I don't want it to be over.

I do this with far too many TV shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Mu Zeta posted:

I stil haven't finished season 3 of Leftovers because I don't want it to be over.

You are robbing yourself of one of the best finales that has ever existed. And I'm going to rewatch at least the last 10 minutes now because I know it will perform a full reboot of my entire emotional system and it always feels incredible.

Edit: let myself watch from the start of the episode, and drat I forgot that even this part brought tears. I love this loving show

Cael fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 20, 2022

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I always get sucked down the rabbit hole when I do that. For example, the dude that is still on the fence with Atlanta after 2 episodes, I thought I'd start episode 3 to see what it was and I've now watched 3 episodes.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Gresh posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LOTRonPrime/status/1483816516327915522

I've been so hyped up for this but I've been really nervous after how badly Amazon hosed up The Wheel of Time

You mean making a great first season that was constantly the most streamed show and one of their biggest shows ever, against stiff competition, make the original book that's almost 30 years old jump back on top of all book charts, bring in a ton of new fans, and handle LBGTQ+ representation better than 99% of shows that try to do it and "brag" about it? And while it had a few few trips that will probably get sorted out next season, and the worst issues were clearly covid/actor leaving last second related? Not to mention a fantastic soundtrack, and basically perfecting casting for... well, everyone?

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 20, 2022

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think most of the problems WoT has, can be blamed on having to tell a gigantic story on a (relatively) small budget and in a short amount of episodes. I think it was reported that Rings of Power has almost ten times the budget of WoT, so that will probably be less of an issue.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Oasx posted:

I think most of the problems WoT has, can be blamed on having to tell a gigantic story on a (relatively) small budget and in a short amount of episodes. I think it was reported that Rings of Power has almost ten times the budget of WoT, so that will probably be less of an issue.

Yeah too many short cuts with the plot and, aside from some wide sweeping drone shots, the sets felt to Claustrophobic for me. I didn’t want to finish it. It felt cheap.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Raspberry Bang posted:

It felt cheap.

The number of sets, locations and actors involved, plus covid... I can assure you the show was not cheap lmfao

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They didn't say it was cheap, they said it felt cheap. Doesn't matter if it cost one million or one billion to make. If it looks bad it looks bad

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LionArcher posted:

You mean making a great first season that was constantly the most streamed show and one of their biggest shows ever, against stiff competition, make the original book that's almost 30 years old jump back on top of all book charts, bring in a ton of new fans, and handle LBGTQ+ representation better than 99% of shows that try to do it and "brag" about it? And while it had a few few trips that will probably get sorted out next season, and the worst issues were clearly covid/actor leaving last second related? Not to mention a fantastic soundtrack, and basically perfecting casting for... well, everyone?

I mean lol/lmao at all of this but perfecting casting??? Did you not see how crappy most of the Twin Rivers leads are?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I mean lol/lmao at all of this but perfecting casting??? Did you not see how crappy most of the Twin Rivers leads are?

I’ve read all the books. The leads are good. Book one they act like idiots. The show actors are doing a good job with where they’re supposed to be. Perrin actor being the exception.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

JaddaCaddra posted:

Also watched Mayor of Kingstown, and I'll echo that it escalated very loving quickly in the last two episodes. Sometimes I do body counts for TV shows (I have no idea why, it's just a habit I got into, maybe I'm some kinda loving psycho, maybe I just like listing weird poo poo, I dunno) and I gave up on those last two and just wrote down "A bunch of people get shot."

I know the SWAT guys in this show were loving psycho cowboys, but can any Americans with law enforcement knowledge clarify whether it's normal to put 20 rounds with high calibre rifle into each person they take down? I understand the whole "shoot to kill/aim for centre mass" philosophy, but it seemed like overkill. How many clips of ammo do these guys even carry?

Is this a thing played up for Hollywood, a comment on the particular characters in the show or entirely normal behaviour from real life SWAT guys?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Looten Plunder posted:

I know the SWAT guys in this show were loving psycho cowboys, but can any Americans with law enforcement knowledge clarify whether it's normal to put 20 rounds with high calibre rifle into each person they take down? I understand the whole "shoot to kill/aim for centre mass" philosophy, but it seemed like overkill. How many clips of ammo do these guys even carry?

Is this a thing played up for Hollywood, a comment on the particular characters in the show or entirely normal behaviour from real life SWAT guys?

gestures broadly at like every piece of US police news and the entire BLM movement

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I try and avoid watching shootings if I can. Is it really this extreme?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Breonna Taylor was shot six times in her home from 32 shots from cops who busted the door down without announcing themselves and were responding to a single shot from someone else.

Bernardo Palacios-Carbajal was shot 15 times from 34 bullets while running away.

Jacob Blake was shot 7 times at like arm's reach after being tasered twice while he was opening a car door.

That's just like a few quickly that made lots of news because there were recordings and such. I haven't seen the show in question but its very hard to imagine TV being able to exaggerate the problem of police shooting violence in this country.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Ok yeah, that sounds about right then.

Jeeeeeesus

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Looten Plunder posted:

Police absolutely magdump at whatever they are shooting at.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I mean, don't watch it, but the bodycam footage that they released from the Valentina Orellana-Peralta shooting (the teenage girl killed by a stray bullet as they gunned down a man armed with a bike lock) shows it too. Full cowboy poo poo where they're practically fighting one another to be the one to spray and pray shoot the guy.

It's pretty bad all over. If you're dealing with really professional outfits they might be more reserved, but a smaller town SWAT team or armed up regular cops love to do that stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's why a lot of them take the job. It's their fantasy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The new Stand also decided to completely sideline Nick’s character even though he was the main person Mother Abigail was speaking to up until the moment he died in the book.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

LionArcher posted:

It felt cheap, tacky, and melodramatic. I haven't read the books and don't know anything about them, but I've heard the name "The Wheel of Time" an awful lot when it comes to high end fantasy growing up so there must have been something to those books thats completely missing from the show. The writing sucked balls, its like nothing had time to breath with character motivations often feeling rushed, underdeveloped, and forced. None of the actors were particularly good either, especially the lead white guy I don't even know his name. The only thing that stands out about the WOT are the obvious strides for diversity in every frame which is good, but that doesn't excuse everything else from being so subpar. I don't even understand nor really care about all the lore in The Witcher but at least that that show knows how to have fun and doesn't have the look and feel of a soap opera

And why has seemingly every new show settled on 8 episodes per season? Seriously, why has 8 become the magic number? According to imdb, even LOTR is gonna be just 8 episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Possibly all the criticism of 13 episode shows being too padded out?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
honestly my main gripe, as a huge fan of the series, is that it doesn't have the same 'epic' feeling as the books. It has the feel of a small-by-necessity video game setting where cities are like 20 buildings

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

honestly my main gripe, as a huge fan of the series, is that it doesn't have the same 'epic' feeling as the books. It has the feel of a small-by-necessity video game setting where cities are like 20 buildings

Yeah, one of the touchstones of the books is that the world feels vast and extremely heavily populated, like crowds of people everywhere. The show feels sparse and like it takes place on a soundstage, especially toward the end where it literally does.

That plus a cast of like 4000 named characters makes it a really tough row to hoe for a TV adaptation in the best of circumstances, and they were up against a lot of unforeseen hardships, but not all of them were externally imposed. Only giving themselves 8 episodes to tell the whole first book story was a ninja-precise self-inflicted deathblow.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 20, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Yeah once they left Two Rivers every place they went felt claustrophobic.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really liked the lion guy but otherwise I mean it gave me literally no reason to ever care about anything that was happening

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Gresh posted:

It felt cheap, tacky, and melodramatic. I haven't read the books and don't know anything about them, but I've heard the name "The Wheel of Time" an awful lot when it comes to high end fantasy growing up so there must have been something to those books thats completely missing from the show. The writing sucked balls, its like nothing had time to breath with character motivations often feeling rushed, underdeveloped, and forced. None of the actors were particularly good either, especially the lead white guy I don't even know his name. The only thing that stands out about the WOT are the obvious strides for diversity in every frame which is good, but that doesn't excuse everything else from being so subpar. I don't even understand nor really care about all the lore in The Witcher but at least that that show knows how to have fun and doesn't have the look and feel of a soap opera

And why has seemingly every new show settled on 8 episodes per season? Seriously, why has 8 become the magic number? According to imdb, even LOTR is gonna be just 8 episodes.
Agreed. I didn't read the books either and had the exact same thoughts as you.
It certainly wasn't a "first season of Game of Thrones" viewing experience that actually made me go out and read the books because I was blown away by the show.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I liked Wheel of Time for the most part but it felt ancient, cheap, and way too self-serious. I don't mean they should add quips everywhere, but like everyone was talking in overly exaggerated voices that obviously weren't their own, but in a very forced way instead of something that should've felt theatrical. Perrin was absolutely the worst example.

I hope the second season is better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would not recommend the Wheel of Time books, and am suspicious of people who say the show sucks because it doesn't live up to the books.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zoux posted:

I would not recommend the Wheel of Time books, and am suspicious of people who say the show sucks because it doesn't live up to the books.

Yeah, I've only read the first and the... sixth? one, but I didn't find them particularly gripping.

(Yes, yes, I know I know. It's what the library had.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's a 600 page gold rated thread in TBB that once tricked me into reading the first 50 pages of the Malazan books, which are atrocious. There just aren't that many good fantasy series. After I read what was available for GoT some years ago (through storm of swords I think), I was like "Wow, I always thought fantasy sucked, but I guess it can be cool" and went on a quest to find other good fantasy series. That quest continues.

Didn't help that the guy that turned me on to ASoIaF was like "you like that you should check out these Sword of Truth books"

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I've only read the first and the... sixth? one, but I didn't find them particularly gripping.

(Yes, yes, I know I know. It's what the library had.)

Haha amazing post

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I found a copy of the 6th or 7th book in the bathroom at work once and, knowing nothing about the series, tried to read it on the toilet.

It was a very unsatisfying experience

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
More fiber in your diet will help with that.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

zoux posted:

…Didn't help that the guy that turned me on to ASoIaF was like "you like that you should check out these Sword of Truth books"

Why would he do that to you?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Someone was asking about it a while back but Upload s2 is March 11th

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

muscles like this! posted:

Awesome!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

muscles like this! posted:

Huzzah!!

Although it looks to be only seven episodes... :mad:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007