Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Andor isn't a show about Andor or even the rebellion. It's about the effects of the Empire's rule and how fascism drives people of many different backgrounds and beliefs to desperation. Whenever anyone in the show does anything on their own initiative they end up getting caught up in the tendrils of the empire from which it is impossible to escape. Andor deliberately tries to stay independent, but it ends up hurting everyone he cares about. Syril tries to do what he thinks his job is but gets punished for it (also because he's poo poo at his job). Mon Mothma is locked in an imperial prison and her desperation ends up affecting her family situation. Luthen is forced to give up his humanity to fight them, etc. Everything anyone does in the show is informed by how fascism ruins the lives of themselves or the people around them. Dedra being the one exception because she wants to dive headfirst into that poo poo and destroy her own humanity in the process.

This is part of why the sister stuff stands out so much because it has nothing to do with anything. From everything they've said, season 2 will be the rebellion season, so we'll see if the tone shifts or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I like him lots. Even when I disagree with him he phrases things very astutely. And I think he’s right in this case. I forgot Andor was even looking for his sister until the article mentioned it. I don’t feel like I know anything about him as a character other than some very typical like, rough around the edges but plucky guy who builds others up.

I don’t like having to focus so much on the negatives of a show I largely enjoyed but this absolute resistance to any pushback or negative comments or insinuation that it’s anything other than incredibly dense and layered and the show of the year is just so bizarre.

The tenor of the conversation here is way less heated than if we were discussing Lost for example. It's just people wanting to dive into the meaty bits of a show that had giant platters of them.

Speaking of, the sister business where Andor is chasing someone who might or might not exist.to finally end up with the motivation for helping an entire galaxy seems purposeful. Regardless of whether we get back to it, it shows how much Andor has grown, from a mercenary viewpoint that only encompassed himself and a couple of family members, to one that is galactic in scale. It took a s3ason to get there and Andor experiencing every traditional method of radical transformation, from fleeing LE, to concern over comrades, to a loving prison break and literally listening to polemics.

It was a great journey, and yet another thing Sepinwall overlooked. Maybe this kind of wide paneled politically charged Bildungsroman isn't his thing. I wish he would judge the show by what it is though.

e: https://twitter.com/theseantcollins/status/1595571324440780800?s=20&t=dyrcjSfqBVBqOAYbplB91Q

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 24, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mu Zeta posted:

Weren't they just banging it randomly in the first episode. There wasn't a funeral or any function going on. And the people on the street were also banging on stuff as a warning or intimidation tactic. I don't get it because it just sounds irritating like those vuvuzelas during the world cup.

They rang the anvil to announce when work started/ended and as an announcement that something important was happening.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/nocontextroyco/status/1595779277684776960?s=46&t=G_spNLMX1o9M3uQfykli_A

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The fact that he calls them "Indians" while claiming to care about their plight really sums up his character within seconds of meeting him.

EDIT: That and when despite considering his brother worse than Hitler due to spreading climate change denial and wrecking the planet still votes to keep him as CEO because he's his brother. I dunno about you but I wouldn't do something like that if my brother was a psycho

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 24, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

AceOfFlames posted:

The fact that he calls them "Indians" while claiming to care about their plight really sums up his character within seconds of meeting him.

EDIT: That and when despite considering his brother worse than Hitler due to spreading climate change denial and wrecking the planet still votes to keep him as CEO because he's his brother. I dunno about you but I wouldn't do something like that if my brother was a psycho
And then he donates his fortune to Greenpeace. That show is such a gem.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

I read a super cute interview with Ricci, she was talking about watching the Addams family movies with her kid and he looked up and told her "Wow mom you were really naughty as a kid!!"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I finally remembered to start watching Ziwe and omg it’s funny as hell. The interviews have me screaming with this satirical friendly yet confrontational style and the sketches are great too. I hope the subtitles are better for season 2 though because the ones on these s1 rips are loving awful

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special dropped on Disney+ today. Not that you’d know, seeing how they’re not advertising it literally anywhere. The first GotG thing with James Gunn in over five-years, live-action with the cast, and I have not seen a single piece of promo.

Is in the same in the US? I thought it might be smaller over here because it’s not a holiday weekend and everyone is focusing on the State-Sanctioned Homophobia Promotional Sports Tournament, and they’ll start advertising it more heavily once that loving disgusting poo poo is over with.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The season finale of Andor was great, but I can't remember the last time the main character of a tv show, was so completely overshadowed by every single reurring character.
I'm not just talking about people like Stellan Skarsgård, even the droid had more debt and emotion than Cassian Andor.
Diego Luna did his best, but the writing just wasn't that great for him.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In 99% of other shows Cassian would make the big prison speech.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Oasx posted:

The season finale of Andor was great, but I can't remember the last time the main character of a tv show, was so completely overshadowed by every single reurring character.
I'm not just talking about people like Stellan Skarsgård, even the droid had more debt and emotion than Cassian Andor.
Diego Luna did his best, but the writing just wasn't that great for him.

That's apparently deliberate. The whole point was to make the main actor someone who wasn't going to deliver those big movie moments, is just a normal guy stuck in the grind of a fascist system and how he sees it impact his life and the people around him.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just rediscovered the Limitless TV-show. I miss that stupid show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

That's apparently deliberate. The whole point was to make the main actor someone who wasn't going to deliver those big movie moments, is just a normal guy stuck in the grind of a fascist system and how he sees it impact his life and the people around him.

Neat concept but in execution it leads to a show with a not great protagonist

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't need him to have all the big moments, but having ANY interesting moments would be nice. It would be funny if they made the incel guy the protagonist. It's like a Star Wars Breaking Bad.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I did like the funeral procession/dirge. Britell killed it tbh, great music the whole way through

The funeral music reminded me of Beirut.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 25, 2022

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Escobarbarian posted:

Neat concept but in execution it leads to a show with a not great protagonist

They don't want a great protagonist. They want a character they can spin a world around, not one whose personality is required to hold it up or focus it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

They don't want a great protagonist. They want a character they can spin a world around, not one whose personality is required to hold it up or focus it.

Just because you have good intent doesn’t mean the execution is good. Like yeah, that’s all well and good, but the show is literally called “Andor”

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Just rediscovered the Limitless TV-show. I miss that stupid show.

It was great (and that Blanck Mass track in the last ep :chefkiss:) but I think I'm glad they never got to spoil the mystery of exactly how far Bradley Cooper had ascended beyond mere mortals and zzt geniuses alike.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Escobarbarian posted:

Just because you have good intent doesn’t mean the execution is good. Like yeah, that’s all well and good, but the show is literally called “Andor”

And? Atlanta is called "Atlanta", and yet vast swaths of the show aren't even set there! Did this cause you great emotional distress or something?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Escobarbarian posted:

Is in the same in the US? I thought it might be smaller over here because it’s not a holiday weekend and everyone is focusing on the State-Sanctioned Homophobia Promotional Sports Tournament, and they’ll start advertising it more heavily once that loving disgusting poo poo is over with.

I saw an ad on YouTube and thought briefly about watching it to see when the release date was.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

And? Atlanta is called "Atlanta", and yet vast swaths of the show aren't even set there! Did this cause you great emotional distress or something?

I’m trying to have a discussion about TV :)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

From is not about labels on wrapped gifts OR the us postal service. That’s bullshit.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Escobarbarian posted:

I finally remembered to start watching Ziwe and omg it’s funny as hell. The interviews have me screaming with this satirical friendly yet confrontational style and the sketches are great too. I hope the subtitles are better for season 2 though because the ones on these s1 rips are loving awful

I saw it for the first time yesterday (the episode with Fran Leibowitz, Gloria Steinem, and the horde of literal Karens), and it was absolutely amazing. :haw:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Mate you’re just gonna have to take the L on andor. It’s gonna be on every top ten list

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 25, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What are you even talking about

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

For some reason, the first 2 episodes of Andor are on Hulu. Sounds like I should give it a go.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What's good on apple tv rn?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Everything pretty much. Severance being the cream of the crop but Apple probably has the best signal to noise ratio out of any of the streamers

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1596202096483000321
32 loving seconds, gently caress off

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I really liked See. Jason Momoa plays a gruff hunter and gatherer type so well. Severance and For All Mankind are also good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

As well as See, Severance, and For All Mankind, I would add: Prehistoric Planet, Mythic Quest, The Afterparty, The Essex Serpent, and Servant.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
all them plus Ted Lasso and Little America.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

an apple TV show nobody's mentioned yet - Swagger is great, it's a sports drama based vaguely on NBA player Kevin Durant's early days, specifically playing as a 14 year old phenom prospect on youth basketball tours

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Actually that reminds me that Wednesday came out and it was actually good, imo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
In addition to the shows mentioned above, I'd add Dickinson, Physical, Five Days At Memorial, and I really liked the single season of Little Voice they did.

Plus they have the Coen Brother Macbeth.

Aye Doc posted:

an apple TV show nobody's mentioned yet - Swagger is great, it's a sports drama based vaguely on NBA player Kevin Durant's early days, specifically playing as a 14 year old phenom prospect on youth basketball tours

Swagger is very good, and apparently was quietly renewed for a second season.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

You just missed the Physical conversation we were having

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Boy, Apple has a lot of good shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh yeah, I was looking at the list of upcoming shows that I'm excited for, and about half of them are on Apple.

Hello, Tomorrow!
Masters of The Air
High Desert
Metropolis
Time Bandits
the new Vince Gilligan (whatever that ends up being)
Dark Matter
Wool
Bad Monkey

I still think HBO / HBO Max has the best overall hit rate, but that's taken an L recently, for obvious reasons.