Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

there's no adequate description for the mind palace you need for doing this kind of run, this is a feat of memory beyond most people. outstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

IMJack posted:

I think it speaks to the sound design in Sekiro that doing this whole thing through sound cues is at all possible

It really does, and I'm horrified at the idea of the work put into the run at all, let alone doing it. You have to love speedrunning that much, it's just amazing.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Surprise Portal 2 run!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Well I learnt something about Portal 2 invincibility, going to play with that!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I DON'T WANT YOUR drat LEMON SKIP DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

yeah that was a primo self-commentated run, very few runners can put that on, made it look simple.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

*eats banana* think I'm good now.

edit: I knew they'd stall during the recap!

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 16, 2022

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

holy poo poo that jumped 40k

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

3 million, amazing. I never think they can do better but they keep proving me wrong.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Now for the 3.2ish incentive. Donations have definitely slowed.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Did they add the Twitch subs/bits and stuff yet?

still keeping that powder dry yet.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I've never played a lot of MGS, that tank looked very unfun to beat.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The incentive on the ending was almost dead even so Meryl loses! That was unusual.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Eh? Did they already factor in the twitch/subs to the total?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Weird because I thought they quoted a 3.2ish mill total for the 2020 sdgq so I thought it was still a way off.

But overall, lots of great runs this event, several world records too.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

OK NOW ITS UPDATED HOLY poo poo.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This was the first GDQ I donated to, felt good. Can't wait for the next one.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hahaha GDQ went and raided theblacktastic's channel and the poor dude has 16k new subs and people are gifting 10 subs all over the place and he can't concentrate on what he's doing and can't keep up with the chat, he's completely flummoxed. :v:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anfauglir posted:

A few good ones not in the above:

Pokemon Crystal randomizer
Chicory
Spiderman Remaster
SNOLF

Don't forget the insane Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice run we saw today and the great Portal 2 run

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I missed heaps during the week so there's a bunch I have to go back to, but the highlights:

Tuesday

- NieR Automata run was educational, I'd never seen it speedrun before, let alone raced, lots of interesting skips
- Dead Rising was yeah zombies but the runner made it an entertaining watch

Thursday

- Half-Life 2 run was the fastest ever at a GDQ, shaving even more off dialogue cutscenes, mostly doing without boats and cars altogether, it's incredible what they're doing with it now.

Friday

- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion it just wouldn't be GDQ without a janky Bethesda game run and this managed to be the shortest proper run as well!
- Stardew Valley this is the first proper run (there was a previous race the last gdq?) seen at GDQ and what a collection of glitches!
- Portal Reloaded I had not heard of this before, what a crazy mod, Msushi made it look easy
- Hades Had to watch this, very intrigued by the conditions of the race, highly modded for speedrunning because of the intense RNG nature of the game, this will be interesting to follow in future GDQs as this community grows.

Saturday

I missed the Halo CE run but basically watched everything to the end of GDQ. I recommend you go and watch that run however, there are some highly amusing strats with rather questionable ethics.

I've seen a few "end of GDQs" but I think this was the best ever, I can't think of anything that beats the combination of that incredible Sekiro run, the surprise inclusion of Portal 2 and Msushi just smashing that, getting Deltarune AND the snowgrave route and Metal Gear Solid (and Boba-skip).

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 20, 2022

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

This year's stream has been so great I want to go back and watch some of the old AGDQs and SGDQs. Any stand out runs I should check out, preferably with good/fun commentary? Thanks

CoverMuffin's runs were always entertaining, highlights:

I think in general AGDQ 2020 was a strong event, with quite a few standout runs already mentioned here. It has so far the best (and shortest)

at the other end of the scale, there's the almost 4hr marathon of Open Mode Crowd Control Zelda madness:

There's a lot I'm missing probably, usually too there's at least one run an event that gets me to pick up a game I didn't know about before! I defihitely liked the look of Sekiro and Nioh 2 this time around.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There has to be something magic about GDQ, watching those amazing Punch Out runs, that's the kind of crazy luck you often see there and it just boggles the mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Thought of a few more recommendations, I discovered I'd been keeping a few runs I liked while upgrading a hard-drive:

- AGDQ 2018 - Ultima VI: The False Prophet (1990) - SNES - Any% No Major Glitches Come for the run, stay for Squibbons wonderful droll self-commentary

- AGDQ 2019 - Tomb Raider 2 (1997) - PC - Any% Glitches This is probably my favourite of the Tomb Raider games for its atmosphere, and one of only two runs so far by SmoothOperative who also did Tomb Raider Legend at SGDQ 2019 when airwalking came in. But this is a great run on the old engine and it's a difficult game to run

- AGDQ 2018 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011) - PC - Main Quest It would be remiss to not include a good Skyrim run, I like this one because the commentary is great, and it's a pretty good time compared to the other runs.