Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Even posting this is the single most embarrassing thing I've ever done. This is prime 13-year-old-on-r/AskReddit / GBS post in 2005 stuff. Jesus Christ what am I doing.

That being said, rapping to a beat is hard. I'm good at acapella freestyle, but as soon as there's a beat it's like it trips something in my brain and everything goes to pieces. I'm not sure if this is an ADHD thing where it's a distraction that overrides everything, or whether it's me being the most rhythmless man in human history, but here we are. Talking to people on the British battle rap scene hasn't helped because that's all acapella, so I'm hoping that, in the middle of the well-deserved bullying this thread will generate, there'll be a couple of actually useful tips on how to get my broken brain to do this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Op are you unable to rap along with songs that you are listening to or is this more of an 8 mile type of problem…?

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Much more 8-Mile - I can cope when it's lyrics/a song I know, but trying to find A Random Beat to rap to just absolutely sends my mind blank.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

there are many distinguished rap minds in this forum but we need to know what we’re dealing with. can you post some vocaroos or YouTube’s of yourself so we can begin to analyze?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's like dancing OP. If you were born to a culturally white family its simply not ever going to happen. This is why Drake still raps like he's telling mom someone pushed him over despite having had a music career for like 15 years.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
recording and sharing music is for fools but anyone can come up with some improv rhymes and words if you just listen to a beat long enough with no lyrics, even in just longass songs with big instrumental parts if theres enough rhythm just pick a cadence and keep saying stuff to fit it in

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

you get weird when the beat comes on because you're looking for the 'right way' to go at it. there isn't one, you gotta make choices.

the first choice you made is caring about the beat and not going all chuck d on it and just being adjacent to the beat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCx5Std7mCo

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

sounds like you're not feeling the beat. you GOTTA feel the beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHE6hZU72A4

it's kinda like that, except for words instead of bass. you don't have to hit every one (like in that public enemy song, chuck d skips most of the first downbeats and starts syncopated), but if you're feeling that structure and feeling that downbeat, then you can go hog wild with how you move around between them

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

buffalo all day posted:

there are many distinguished rap minds in this forum but we need to know what we’re dealing with. can you post some vocaroos or YouTube’s of yourself so we can begin to analyze?

this. its key to the process to hear the starting point before any meaningfull advice can be given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Dynamite Dog posted:

you get weird when the beat comes on because you're looking for the 'right way' to go at it.

I reckon that's it, tbh. The "Oh gently caress if I do this wrong then it will be obvious and immediately apparent" thing that gets me all hosed up on choice paralysis.