Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It’s T.R.O.Y. or C.R.E.A.M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Young Boy is absolutely the best track on the album 🔥

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

(The best rap song of all time is T.R.O.Y. for reasons already stated. It tells a wonderful, loving story, it's got a legendary producer at his peak, its soulful and lasting etc. It calls to mind warm reflections of the people I love and miss and when art can do that effectively it's very special.)

I think this conversation will naturally gravitate toward songs that have had time to breathe and fill out a legacy as classics, which makes me feel loving old since there's like TI and Clipse and poo poo listed here which were foundational to me developing my music taste as a budding retard, so with that in mind I'm going to endorse pretty much all the 90s and 80s suggestions and focus on the 00s-on when thinking about my nomination. Still, I hope to see recognition for Wu-Tang, De La Soul, Snoop, Pharcyde, Busta Rhymes, Fugees as well. Hell even Will Smith made perfect party rap for a whole decade, but an argument for Miami as the best ever rap song is very very narrow.

So I guess with that in mind I gotta think on the 00s. Bear with me as I work through this decision via text. 50 Cent's Tyson-style reign had its peak with Hate It or Love It which I guess Game will tell you is all his. Scarface's On My Block hits a lot of the same notes as T.R.O.Y. for me but it doesn't have the same depth. Jay Electronica's Exhibit C is so good he could never really follow it up no matter what he did after it. My favorite T.I. song is What You Know because that production is loving powerful. Kanye West hit different tracks out of the park on his first four albums (among them Jesus Walks, Diamonds from Sierra Leone, Good Life, and Street Lights). I have the chorus of Trick Daddy's I'm a Thug stuck in my head regularly. Of course I've got a huge list of songs I'm *not* picking and there's a million more in the conversation that I'll feel dumb for forgetting in like an hour.

What I am nominating from the 00s is this classic:

UGK ft. Outkast - Intl. Player's Anthem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLNzTZVvoWs

Pimp C and Bun B are legends in their own right, but for me Andre 3000 and Big Boi really pull the track to its heights. Outkast's music means a lot to me as Hey Ya was my bridge into the genre and I went backward from there after that. Getting to see them on their halfhearted reunion tour was bittersweet and I won't soon forget it.

The beat's crazy. Juicy J gets a credit because it was originally a 3 6 Mafia song that didn't take off or something, so that's cool. Everyone has a good-to incredible verse on this and they manage to tell stories that basically run the gamut of their experience with women. It's touching, funny, and always impressive. Iconic video too. Just a perfect song for driving by yourself or blasting at a function. It's the best rap song of the 2000s.

~~~~~

I guess when it becomes easier to produce and mass distribute music via the internet everyone's gonna try to do it. There's just so much music that I know I probably missed some increedible poo poo, but for the first half of the decade I was pretty dug in to all sorts of stuff from the full spectrum. Freddie Gibbs' Thuggin with Madlib sticks out to me. I hadn't picked something he was involved in for the 00s, I'd probably put up Big Boi and Gucci Mane's Shine Blockas. A$AP and Odd Future are linked in my heart and both had some incredible early stuff with poo poo like Peso and Orange Juice. I didn't expect Tyler to be the one that really evolved out of it but he's really excelled as he got older. Fetty Wap wasn't really a one-hit wonder with Trap Queen but he was a one-album one, though it's probably one of the best albums of the decade. Migos and Young Thug kept Atlanta rising with the cloned Gucci Mane doing his part too I guess. Obviously Kendrick and TDE had some great stuff. I'm particularly mindful of Danny Brown being an incredible spaz for a decade.

There's a lot more but I realized I'd never stop so instead I'll get to it.

Kanye West ft. Pusha T - Runaway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhEoCOWUtcU

For my money My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is the best album of the decade, and this is the best song on it. I posted Never See Me Again recently in another thread and this very much feels like a companion piece to it. Kanye's never been the best rapper (that's not really what you listen to him for, right?) but he comes across as raw and honest here in a way that's both off-putting and endearing. It seems to be honest reflection. It's very easy to get fake deep about this song but I think it's genuinely something that anyone with regrets about their relationships can relate to. Also Pusha T kills on this. If not for Rick Ross spitting the verse of his life on Devil in a New Dress he'd have the best verse on the album.

It's the best song of the 2010s and with the rest of MBDTF and 808s & Heartbreak set a new direction not only for himself but arguably for the genre.

2020s are Griselda's bitch doot doot doot doot doot doot

rap music rules

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 15, 2022

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

:cheersdoge:

I asked Danny's DJ if they'd do that song before a show. He said yes, they didn't. I guess it's hard for him to perform emotionally?? idk

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

buffalo all day posted:

cannot think of a person i would want to battle less than pusha, he's absolutely terrifying

Nardwuar

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Mapping out an NCAA style bracket with at-large nominations and auto-qualifying best sub genre songs

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah it’s loving amazing. Just incredible

The entire album is crazy good as well I have it in my top 5 of that decade if not more

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Danny brown just rules it’s simple as that

I didn’t really like all of what he went from tjere but I’m happy for him

Also hell yeah odb

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsitWzZFF30

Three 6 Mafia - Walk Up To Your House

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 23, 2022

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Yung Lean - ♦️ Ginseng Strip 2002 ♦️

https://youtu.be/vrQWhFysPKY

this is kind of a troll submission tbh ... but even if you hate the new style of rap production and all other forms of 'zoomer' or 'mumble' rap... this song by yung lean kick-started an entire genre and people still ape this style today. almost a decade later and it doesn't sound dated in the slightest. the man is a visionary. i don't think he holds up to the other big influential names but i think someone deserves to nominate him lol. even this style of music video remains popular, it's crazy.

He rules. The aesthetic game ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I don’t think we have anything from DMX nominated. If I can indulge in another,

X Gon’ Give It To Ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGx6K90TmCI

His sound was unique during his peak and just dominated the genre. Burned out fast but in like six years or smth had his first five albums hit number one. That’s crazy considering what he came from and what he was doing

He burned bright and didn’t last that long but this song in particular is all time pump-up for sports or working out or playing def jam vendetta

I think it was even in that movie he did where he drives the ATV through a window or off the building? lol

This song rules