Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the best weapons: Runetracer, Holy Wand, Unholy Vespers, Hellfire, Death Spiral

taking one or two weapons that can't evolve is Smart because that's one or two slots you can set aside for the almighty Duplicator or maybe the Attractorb I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

one thing I really hope this game gets is a reroll option

it makes me a miserable pile of secrets whenever I level up and get three items that don't evolve the weapons I have/want

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

They rotate in opposite directions.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The birds seem inferior to Santa's bath water overall.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gynovore posted:

We could really do without having to stare at fireworks for 15 seconds each and every time we open a chest. This isn't a mobile gatcha game.

there's a skip button

furthermore, lol

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

imagine living for anything but the glorious dopamine hit of a five-item chest fanfare

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vandalier is Strong :lovebird:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the real vampire survivor was inside us all along

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

git gud lol

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

thecluckmeme posted:

I apparently died at 29:59 or some poo poo on my library run because I thought I was good, surrounded by gorgons, wizards, and exploding banshees while collecting coinbags since I was out of upgrades. I saw other people post 30:00+ times and thought that was just the average. I didn't realize that there's a hard-kill at 30 minutes-ish :mad: The time is an exaggeration but I saw I was at 27:00 and thought "man, can't be much longer before I get overrun" and then after a little while did, with no Death on screen.

I'm trying to evolve weapons and I have gotten to max level with Garlic and Bible, but I don't know what's different with the Magic Wand that I have it evolved but not the other two after reaching max level. Is it one more upgrade? Or what specific item do I need to find to evolve them? I like the "oop scuse me" method where I don't have to worry about which way I'm pointing to get through the level, just that I'm bullet-helling my way through the incoming enemies, so I don't know if I'm missing specific other subweapons or weapons that are preventing me from getting the upgraded versions.

You need the right secondary item to evolve a max-level weapon, except for the one that requires two max-level weapons.

JordanKai posted:

Here's a list of unlock requirements for those who don't want to figure them out themselves:

EVOLVED WEAPONS:
  • Bloody Tear: Whip + Hollow Heart
  • Holy Wand: Magic Wand + Empty Tome
  • Thousand Edge: Knife + Bracer :blastu:
  • Death Spiral: Axe + Candelabrador
  • Heaven Sword: Cross + Clover
  • Unholy Vespers: King Bible + Spellbinder
  • Hellfire: Fire Wand + Spinach
  • Soul Eater: Garlic + Pummalora
  • Vandalier: Peachone + Ebony Wings

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

running left gets you an Empty Tome

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I could have taken Bone once but I didn't :negative:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

DarthRoblox posted:

Is there a secret to unlocking the clover? I've cleared the game multiple times on both levels and still haven't unlocked it; I've gotten all achievements aside from upgrading the cross and the fire wand.

You have to find a Mini Clover powerup by breaking lights.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Perestroika posted:

Oh my god, I was just trying a new game on the beta branch, and just had the dickiest drop luck ever. I got the magic wand and ebony wings early on, and so I kept one slot each open for peach one and empty tome. Throughout the next seventy levels, I did not ever see either one. I even had to take the drat Crown in order to not fill up my last weapon slot.

Anyway, I managed to unlock one of the new characters:

Suor Clerici
*+30 max health
*+0.5 HP/sec regeneration
*Starts with Santa Water
*Unlocked by recovering a total of 1000 HP

Not super great at first glance, but might be interesting if/when there's an infinite survival game mode without a time limit.

e:f,b;

how much is that in floor chickens though

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ebony Wings drops for everybody once you've gotten Peachone to level 7.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

One thing about chests: it seems like if you have a weapon that's ready to evolve, the next chest is guaranteed to evolve it. That also means it's guaranteed to not be lucky.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I am of course referring only to the uh

purple chests

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the lizard fellow now sports a Witch's hat

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

holy wand go zapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzap though

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

I must be old because that seems like the most convoluted possible way to share that information.

at least it's not a video

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GigaPeon posted:

Shoot. Forgot about the Free Mask. Just had a 28 minute run and got 4 Evolutions but only 4.4k gold.

if you've only got 4 evos at 28 minutes you need to level up faster

get them gems

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WarpedLichen posted:

Am I missing something on Lightning Ring? It seems like it does good dps on paper but it's randomly rear end blasting some random clump of enemies on the edge of the screen and so it doesn't help at all in clearing a path for you to go in the mid game so you just die if you're relying on it.

At least santa water at high levels creates a pattern that you can use.

Lightning Ring is absolutely not a primary weapon*, but it's a fine support with some cooldown/area/projectile bonuses

*except on Porta during the first five minutes

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pause button if you're playing mouse-only

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

that's why it's called a lancet

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

Most fun build is porta with garlic, bible, santa water, birds, axe and the mandatory lightning ring. Just a giant impassable death circle.

Dommario with Runetracer+Thousand Edge is also fun times

GreatGreen posted:

Santa Water consistently does more damage than any other item in my games.

try Vandalier

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GigaPeon posted:

Evolution spoilers In the public beta: Santa Water is upgraded by Attractorb

:syoon:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ulio posted:

So far making to like 20 minutes depending on the build I can get. I seem to only get far if I have garlic. Also is the base dmg increase + whip worth doing? I seems so weak vs the other weapons.

Whip has poor coverage, but good base damage for things like the green ghosts and werewolves in the Mad Forest.

Garlic makes you invincible for the first five minutes but King Bible, Runetracer, or Magic Wand are all decent starters with better growth.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

every time I try Garlic/Soul Eater I take damage

like some peasant

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Omobono posted:

Can someone explain how the birbs work? The circle on the floor goes round, the bird bombards towards the circle, the rays damage anything they collide with?

Considering those rays can't hit the broad side of a barn how do I make them bigger, +area (candelabrador)?

Bird rays damage wherever they impact. Bracer is a big help.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

use Runetracer

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tithin posted:

Just had a really great run on hyper library end extremely abruptly, evolved vandalier, santa water, lightning ring, garlic, bible, working on weapon six and then i went from full health to dead instantly, no reaction time, nothing near me, just dead.

I'm very confused.

Nesuferit, like all vampires, is an expert in the stealth arts of ninjutsu

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the best defense is a good offense, and the best survival is a good murder

vvvvvv evolutions are the best possible murders

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 17, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Attractorb is vital because it makes it easier to pick up Vacuums

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why not Crown

git bad scrub

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Countblanc posted:

there's also a new Powerup which ties into the above:

Curse: +10% to enemy speed, spawn rate, and quantity (max 50%).

yessssss :getin:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm guessing the second tome just levels up your tome

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

go left instead of right

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

we need a pentagram character

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There's no evolution limit. Vespers requires the Spellbinder, not the Empty Tome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Have you ever chosen it?