Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
I hope the Raiders extend Carr instead of doing something stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

CocoaNuts posted:

Is this a thing? Worth any time or consideration?

Pro Bowl QB Kyler Murray Scrubs Any Mention of Cardinals from His Social Media

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/kyler-murray-scrubs-cardinals-social-media

Murray hasn't shown that he's an NFL quality starter. Unless the Cards think he'll take a Josh Allen style leap, if they can fleece a team, they should.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Yeah what is all this retcon poo poo that suddenly Murray isn't an NFL starter? He was clearly still playing injured down the stretch and I think gets a mulligan for that. It doesn't just wipe out how electric he had been.

He was terrible his first two years. Looked like he had finally figured out how to read a defense this year and made the leap, but then he regressed hard after the injury.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

CocoaNuts posted:

That would be some awfully big bucks for Derek Carr...

https://twitter.com/VinnyBonsignore/status/1493706491202715650

That how much QBs cost these days. At least they have a good QB they are paying that amount and not like a Dak level QB eating up a bunch of cap while being average to below average.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Kirk Cousins is now the 2nd best QB in the NFC.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Slowpoke! posted:

Kaep’s situation just sucks because he was on a downward trend as a passer and it has given the league so much cover in what is clearly a blacklist situation. He clearly wasn’t going to be a top 15 QB like some people would like to believe, but he was still good enough to compete for a starting job somewhere.

This isn't true at all. In his final year, the Niners rushed him back from shoulder injury as soon as possible to try and make the playoffs instead of starting (super bowl winning QB) Blaine Gabbert. He didn't look fully recovered, but he was at least in the top half of passers.

Stop listening to narratives like "Kaep wasn't a good passer" or "Dak Prescott is good" and pay attention to actual football.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

am i stupid for thinking matt ryan to the 49ers, if they can figure out the money, makes sense?

No, that's not why you are stupid.

They are just going to roll the dice with Lance.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

BlindSite posted:

QBs who succeed big as rookies usually slide into a system they're familiar with. Mahomes, Lamar, Allen and Prescott are some of the most notable and the ones that generally suck are the ones that don't. If you don't have learn a new playbook (or that playbook can be clipped so it highlights your strengths), verbiage and everything else while you're adjusting to the demands of leading an NFL huddle, playing NFL defenses, new team, new city and the list goes on you have a much faster college to pro transition. All of those guys I mentioned came from very similar systems in college to what's run by their pro team - or what was at the time of their first starts.

Please tell me more about Josh Allen's success as a rookie.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

The Cardinals were always going to pick it up. It gives them two years to figure out if Murray will step it up and become an NFL level QB or if he's already at his ceiling of high level backup.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

BlindSite posted:

I would have thought if Murray was on the block it would have been a lot more loud. Especially given what the market for Watson was.

Watson is a top 5 QB and Murray looks like a high ceiling backup at the moment.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

syzpid posted:

Quite the gimmick you have going. Ironically Kyler "High ceiling backup" Murray has nearly as many Pro Bowl selections as Carr (2 vs 3), has played in just as many playoff games as Carr and Murray's "Josh Allen level Rookie year" included Murray winning the Offensive Rookie of the Year. I don't know in what world you think Murray isn't at the very least in the top half of the league, probably top ten, thinking he's just a "high level backup" is insane.

It's not a gimmick? Murray hasn't shown he's a starting caliber NFL QB.

lol, thinking that Pro Bowls matter. Josh Jacobs deserved Offensive RoY that year, don't lie to yourself.

I mean, he's a top 10 fanty QB, which is why people seem to think he's good even though he's not.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Yes he has and this is easy to prove. He's better than numerous starters

Being better than Sam Darnold or Daniel Jones doesn't make you an NFL quality starter.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

There's only 32 of these jobs and anyone who holds any of them is one of the very best in the world at it. Anyone in the top 10 is elite. You seem to be suggesting that if you're not in the top 5, then :getout: but replace them with who, exactly?

So, by your definition we have: Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Burrow, Josh Allen and who else? Lamar? Stafford can't "carry a team" based on his W/L record with DET. Aikman, Bradshaw, Tarkenton, McNair and Stabler never carried their teams. What about Prescott?

Carr has carried the Raiders plenty of times. Of course, by your definition he's elite since he's a top 10 QB.

Lamar is the oddest QB to judge, imo. You can make an argument for him being the best QB in the NFL or being outside the top 10.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

CocoaNuts posted:

As far as the schedule component, the NFC West had three playoff teams: the Super Bowl Champion Los Angeles Rams, NFC runner-up San Francisco 49ers and Kyler Murray's Arizona Cardinals. Instead of having to play those three teams a combined six times, Mayfield would face the rebuilding Falcons twice and the Saints twice, whose quarterback Jameis Winston is coming off a torn ACL. Yes, Tom Brady's Buccaneers are just as scary as those NFC West foes. If Mayfield and the Browns get their wish of a trade coming through to take the former top overall pick out of Cleveland, Carolina would provide the landing spot for Baker to have the best chance for success in his second act.

Are we really going to count NFC playoff teams like making the playoffs in the NFC means something? It's basically been a participation trophy for the last decade+.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

SF and LA were legit good last year, ARI was for a a while and the last two Super Bowl champs were from the NFC with Green Bay nipping at everyone's heels for a good minute

Imagine thinking the Rams or Green Bay are good. Just imagine.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Play posted:

Yeah imagine thinking the team with the fifth highest pass yardage, 2nd highest passing TDs, 3rd highest yards per attempt and yards per reception, 3rd in 20+ yard plays and 1st in 40+ yard plays, 2nd lowest in TDs allowed, 3rd highest in INTs, fifth lowest opposing QB percentage and, oh right, which won the super bowl...

is good

Even the Urban Meyer Jags could win if they had to play high school teams. Neither the Rams or the Packers have really had to have a tough schedule in forever because they play in the NFC.

a neat cape posted:

Logan doesn't think the Raiders have legitimately lost a game since 1982.

Ross, if I had known that pointing out Tangled is a movie about grooming would literally make you mad for years, I wouldn't have done it. I'm sorry. I hope Herbert has a long career going 7-10 for the Chargers. Can we be friends again?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Actually, all the teams are bad.

This is probably the most truthful statement.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

The team that finished first in one of the most difficult divisions in pro football and won the superbowl actually sucking and being terrible because SF, DAL, GB, TB and even PHI are "high school teams" sure is a take.

Being the fourth best division in football isn't "one of the most difficult."

I didn't say any of those teams were high school teams. Lol, that you included Dallas in the group. Dallas is as bad as the Bears, but the NFCE is somehow worse than the NFCN.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

MrLogan, give us your NFL team power rankings for last year.

1. Bills
2. Chiefs
3. Bengals
4. Raiders
5. Colts
6. Chargers
7. Rams
8. Bucs
9. Ravens
10. Niners
11. Titans
12. Browns
13. Packers
14. Eagles
15. Saints
16. Steelers
17. Broncos
18. Cards
19. Dolphins
20. Pats
21. Seahawks
22. Jets
23. Vikings
24. Cowboys
25. Lions
26. Bears
27. Texans
28. Commanders
29. Panthers
30. Falcons
31. Giants
32. Jags

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Lotta of hilarity there, but my fav:
The Jets are really hard to judge. They have some talent, but I think that's about where they are based on last year. You think they should be higher?

Do you think I have the Cowboys too high?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

The AFC had a record of 39-40-1 against the NFC last year. The Raiders were 2-3 against the NFC. The inescapable conclusion is that, were they an NFC team, the Raiders would somehow have an even worse playoff record than their very real 0-2 in the last two decades. Difficult to believe but true

Raiders were 3-2 against the NFC (beat the Commanders, but the refs decided to say no that day).

The Giants game they played/coached pretty badly. Gruden was too busy thinkin' about dem slurs.

The Bears game was right after Ruggs and you can tell the team was affected pretty badly.

Besides the Raiders/Commanders game, the Browns also got screwed their game against the Packers, so that would have been another one for the AFC.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

i like stats and i like analysis thank you for this post

Here's a really good stats article for the NFL: https://theethicalskeptic.com/2021/10/18/nfl-bias-against-the-oakland-las-vegas-raiders/.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

I'm going to just be lazy and repost this from like over a year ago.

Per your own data, the penalties against are more than one per game.

It's much worse if you look at the penalties per play:

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Who's the worst, best QB in a division? Matt Ryan? Dak?

It's Dak. Unless you think Hurts is better. Then it's Hurts.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

One first isn't enough for Carr. Even if the Raiders traded him for two firsts, I'm not sure that's worth losing a franchise QB.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Carr is easily in the top 10.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

1. Mahomes
2. (1b) Allen
3. Burrow
4. Herbert
5. Hurts
6. Tua
7. Prescott
8. Rodgers
9. Stafford
10. Cousins
11. Brady
12. TLaw
13. Geno
14. Jimmy G

these are rough orders but Carr is around the Jimmy G level. he's absolutely not better than that top 12 though.

Lol, just imagine thinking Dak is that good. Just imagine. Also, Brady/Rodgers are cooked. And Stafford has never been better than Carr.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

TFF, much like football media, only seems to think QBs are good if they put up fanty numbers.

Stafford (and his contract) was an albatross for the Lions. Just because Stafford has put up a lot of garbage time stats doesn't make him a good QB.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

This seems like a big downgrade at QB.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Carr should probably go for a first and a second.

But the Raiders are stupid for getting rid of him. After they did him dirty, I hope he refuses to waive his no trade clause.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

The Raiders are going to look absolutely stupid when Carr immediately goes to the playoffs with the Jets or whichever NFCS team he choices.

The Commanders are a legit Superbowl contender with Carr, but I don't think he'll want to go there.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Stafford is better than Carr but the Foles point is fair.

I think the main argument is that getting Carr to the superbowl is going to take a loaded team, he is absolutely not dragging a mediocre team or coach to the SB.

More importantly for coaching job security, Carr is definitely good enough to get a mediocre team to the playoffs (especially in the NFC)

Carr is much better than Stafford.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

This is not a particularly knew thing for Rodgers either, everyone already knew this for years. Now he's just in his hippie alternate medicine phase where it's both more frustrating and funnier.

Favre pranking Rodgers those few years will never not be funny.

My favorite is when Rodgers did pre-season training with a signed helmet.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Sataere posted:

It was a good move by the Jets having MrLogan do their sales pitch.

If it was up to me, he'd still be on the Raiders. :(

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

fsif posted:

Hurts's Super Bowl performance was superb, though. He lost because of that supposedly stacked defense. Jackson's never had the kind of receivers Hurts has, but he's usually had a good line and an elite tight end and his postseason numbers are ghastly.

I'm not down on Jackson and think he'll regain his 2020 form away from Roman and with real receivers. But like, if we're talking about the very best QBs in the league, Jackson's injury history and lack of postseason success is the bigger flag to me than the unlikely possibility that Hurts is a system QB.

Did you actually watch the Superbowl? Hurts was not good.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

fsif posted:

That's right, I make 10,000 posts a year on a football forum but don't watch the Super Bowl.

I'm trying to think of another reason that someone would think Hurts had a good game other than not actually watching the game and just looking at the box score.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D99-9i7tAtE

Example of a terrible throw by Hurts. He had several like this. Getting bailed out by a great catch or a DB falling down doesn't make it a good throw.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Now you guys are just doing an elaborate troll.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Docjowles posted:

I thought I understood MrLogan’s bit but this “Jalen Hurts actually sucks wicked bad” angle is making me question everything.

I actually watch football instead of just paying attention to fanty numbers.

Jalen Hurts doesn't suck. He just didn't have a good game in the Superbowl (box score aside).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Docjowles posted:

I thought Lance Zierlein's take on ATN the other day was interesting, that amateur/media draft analysis is becoming increasingly disconnected from NFL team analysis because it drives more clicks. Resulting in as you said "wtf Malik Willis fell to the 3rd round??? He was day 1 in every mock" when apparently no team gave a poo poo about him and based on early returns he is not good

I don't think being drafted high makes you ipso facto an incredible prospect. Diva's mention of Trubisky, where the Bears played themselves to get him, is a perfect example. Sometimes teams just suck rear end at evaluating guys. Lamar went with the literal last pick of the first round, and teams were asking him if he would convert to WR. Was he a bad prospect or were 31 teams loving morons?

Teams were morons with Lamar, yes. A lot of us on TFF had him as the best QB in the 2018 draft class.

Don't ask about our evaluation of Josh Rosen from the same draft class.