Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
why would anyone sign Mariota to be more than a backup? he wasn’t even good before he destroyed the nerves in his hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

BlindSite posted:

Mariota is probably attractive as a stop gap since he can probably be something in a QB room simply given how long he's been around now, and while I agree he's never going to win a superbowl he can at least scramble and run an offense.

I don’t think he can, or he’d have been traded for draft capital. his ceiling is leading a team to third place in their division, depending on the division

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

who cares what Montana thinks

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

as far as QB evaluations go he sucked poo poo at it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

CocoaNuts posted:

Maybe that's easier to do when you're on defense???

https://twitter.com/TMZ_Sports/status/1497540365053796356

remember when all the Eagles defenders came out for Wentz and you didn’t hear poo poo from a WR, RB, or OL?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I have to believe Russel Wilson isn't stupid enough to play for Ron Rivera, he saw what that didn't Cam

BiggerBoat posted:

Cousins isn't as bad as he's made out to be

yes he is, he's exactly that bad

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

CocoaNuts posted:

Veterans who may need new scenery
Indianapolis Colts

third time’s the charm

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’d be shocked if Reich wants to deal with Wentz But Never As Good in his make or break year

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

The problem with Wentz wasn't talent, it was that everyone hated him and he wasn't a good leader. That combined with being bone headed just made him toxic.

Even if Baker isn't as good and still makes mistakes, that's fine so long as he is a leader.

1) yes it is, Wentz has clear talent limitations at this point
2) Baker has all the same leadership questions Wentz does. almost nobody on offense likes him, he regularly alienates skill position players, and the offensive staff think he’s immature, coaching-resistant, and childish. that’s Wentz’s exact rap

Borsche69 posted:

i know 2016 is a lifetime ago, but he played like dog rear end poo poo that season.

no he didn’t

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

syzpid posted:

I think #2 is because while defensive players have stepped up to defend Baker in the press, you don't hear it as much from the offensive side of the ball. It was the same thing with Wentz in Philly, you could get a lot of the defensive side of the ball defending him, but then there were leaks like a sieve about him being a jackass that were obviously coming from the offense.

BlindSite posted:

If you've got an offensive roster of 20 or so people you're going to get people that don't gel for whatever reason and they're going to form cliques, so all it takes is for one person to mouth off to the media and it's going to get worse. Fair enough if it turns out to be true but the browns front office saying something bad about baker at this point doesn't exactly make me want to condemn him. I mean... I've seen the players they pursue so.

this is exactly what happened with Wentz in the summer of 2019 and a big reason I think they're similar. when the first hit pieces about Wentz started leaking Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham, etc went to twitter that same day to voice support for him after news that he was a baby bitch came out. no WR, RB, or OL said poo poo. Alshon Jeffrey just let his career end rather than try to play through pain and get back on the field with him. I don't even remember Ertz speaking fondly of him at the time.

with the Browns, OBJ wanted out and made it public and nobody really stuck up for Baker at the time. the FO's releasing stuff lately - where's Landry, where's his OL supporting him in the media saying "actually he isn't a cranky child?" I think Chubb said he kept playing through pain which to be fair is more than anyone said about Wentz, but it ain't a lot

e: and to be fair to Wentz I do think he has better physical tools than Mayfield, but between the ears they have some of the same problems

indigi fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 22, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Baker is Stafford tier where if he’s in a good situation he can win some playoff games otherwise don’t bother

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

Baker is not Stafford. Stafford took the Lions to 4, 4 winning seasons.

Yeah he’s better, won a playoff game with the Browns

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

BlindSite posted:

I know he hasn't yet shown he can carry a team, but that's a little harsh. At week 8 he was a being talked about as an MVP candidate.

if you can’t carry a team you’re not really worth starting, which fits in to the high level backup category

I think Murray deserves one more year before consigning him to backup status though, gotta prove he can win consistently after week 9

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

soft

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it’s a gimmick and he’ll have to pick an arm, can’t be passing it between hands constantly during a scramble

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

1. Bills
2. Chiefs
3. Bengals
4. Raiders
5. Colts
6. Chargers
7. Rams
8. Bucs
9. Ravens
10. Niners
11. Titans
12. Browns
13. Packers
14. Eagles
15. Saints
16. Steelers
17. Broncos
18. Cards
19. Dolphins
20. Pats
21. Seahawks
22. Jets
23. Vikings
24. Cowboys
25. Lions
26. Bears
27. Texans
28. Commanders
29. Panthers
30. Falcons
31. Jags
32. Giants

was mine

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I wonder who's gonna be desperate enough to chase Minshew

although with him on this year's Jets they'd have easily made the playoffs

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

syzpid posted:

I wanted him on the Jets so bad, but uh his 2 games this year on a stacked Eagles team were less then promising. Plus the fact that he couldn't beat the Saints so the team had to play Hurts against the Davis Webb Giants just to make sure they got the 1 seed. Wouldn't mind him as a backup, but not as a starter.

he's not very good but I think some teams will be desperate enough to hope he can start. limited as he is he's so much better than Wilson and Flacco

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

i would gladly take a weird kind of bad qb like mayfield or minshew in tampa because at least they'd be interesting

is Mayfield weird or just a loser? he also seems like a dude none of his teammates gently caress with, somewhere on the Wentz-Wilson spectrum

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

BlindSite posted:

I didn't really get that vibe from his time in Carolina and it seemed his Rams team mates liked him? I know OBJ and his dad dragged him pretty hard but I haven't heard quite the same.

I think his teammates in Cleveland being happy to see him go was a wakeup call. lots of media reports were coming out about how he was a bad teammate and the only people defending him were on the side of the ball he didn’t play with

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Brady isn't coming back til a contender loses their starter (or SF loses their starter and backup) in October/November, and he'll bring JJ Watt with him

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Hamhandler posted:

l I think he's undeniably done some good work with other guys.

This is very deniable, as it's never happened

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

actually it was Kyle Orton dragging his rear end

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I imagine the trustees stand to make a decent bit of money being trustees of an asset portfolio that includes an NFL team, either directly or indirectly. is there some pressing reason fans want her to sell? is she a bad owner?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

BlindSite posted:

Carr is for sure good enough to win a superbowl.

if Foles and Stafford could I don't see why Carr couldn't

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'd put them on the same tier with Carr a bit ahead (due Stafford's age + health mostly), but even if you think Stafford is way better, he won on a fantastic team (and got a good draw in the Super Bowl). when people say "[random QB] could win if he was on a stacked team," they mean a team like the 2021 Rams

Stafford looked phenomenal against TB iirc but I think Carr could replicate his 2021 on a team with as much coaching and player talent as the Rams had. might throw fewer TDs, probably throw fewer picks as well

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I think the issue teams have to consider with Rodgers is that he doesn't want to work with new teammates over the offseason (or in the film room), plus he's old. with that in mind the Jets are probably his best situation because of Hackett. but even if you think he's the same physically as he was in 2020 it's a big risk

dropping winnable September games cause he's not on the same page as his receivers yet could screw you in the WC race, which is where his primary landing spots project to be

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

totally true but I think Carr's floor is a lot higher than Rodgers, plus at least with Carr you aren't staring at the gaping chasm of dead cap off in the distance

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean Carr is going to get paid

I doubt his 2025 cap hit will be 60 million though

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wherever he goes next season, I hope he retires in the middle of a game like Vontae Davis

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

BlindSite posted:

Carr should just come to the panthers so we can draft receivers, running backs and tight ends and let the nfc s try and keep up.

well we know Reich is a big Christhead so maybe that can sell Carr on it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

I also think the fact that he's basically acting as his own agent is a huge barrier to getting anything done with him. That probably causes day-to-day communication issues that we don't appreciate that have an outsized impact on a huge negotiation like this.

(I know some tweet said he has the NFLPA advising him in some sense, but Lamar is clearly driving the boat here)

it might, but I get his perspective as well. agents are incentivized not only to get some deal done - sooner rather than later - but they need to maintain good relationships with teams for their other clients. having one totally makes sense for pretty much every player, but elite QBs (or multiple-time DPOY winners) are probably well served doing it themselves and having a lawyer on hand for the contract details

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

That's not really the point. The point is that negotiating a massive deal for a player like Lamar is complicated. The literal point of agents, whatever their incentives are and however they align with those of the player, are to lower the transaction costs for getting a deal done. They are (1) experts at negotiating those contracts, and (2) primarily tasked with communicating with teams on the nitty-gritty aspects of the deal. Lamar has neither the expertise to do those things nor, likely, the time to fulfill the same function an agent does. That impacts the process regardless of whether he's justified in wanting to do the deal himself with some advice from the NFLPA.

if as has been reported he's not going to accept anything less than $X fully guaranteed I don't see an agent helping with that particular negotiation

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Nervous posted:

How much longer until Bom Trady unretires again?

I think that depends on Lance and Purdy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Sataere posted:

I get why people feel this way, but I can't think of five quarterbacks I'd take over him.

I agree, if I was drafting a team from scratch he's not getting past me at #5. but that's different than having a top 5 QB season, which he didn’t in 21 or 22

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Hurts over Lamar is a wild take, but I guess understand people thinking that right now because Lamar’s never had anywhere close to the collection of receiving talent that Hurts had this season

yeah Hurts needs to do it again before he's even in the conversation. healthy, anyway - if you assume Lamar will miss 4-5 games a season it's closer

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fsif posted:

Hurts's Super Bowl performance was superb, though. He lost because of that supposedly stacked defense.

he did spot KC seven tbf. he played a very good game

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Although he at least went to a name school as opposed to Allen missing his WR's so bad the park service had to ask him to stop feeding the bears in Grand Teton.

that's one of the reasons I doubt he'll succeed anywhere near as much. he's been to all the fancy prep coaching and good training environments any young qb can have, whereas Allen had none of that and they both look about a similar level of raw coming into the draft. if a guy has decent coaching for the first time it makes sense he'd improve at least a bit, but it seems like Richardson has already had some of the best coaching you could ask for

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wasn't one of the knocks on Rosen that he might be "too smart" to be an nfl qb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

a neat cape posted: