Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm confused as to when this is actually coming out. Is it today or tomorrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

redreader posted:

Today. There's a whole chart about it but something like 7pm est/3pm pst.

Yeah, I saw the tweet/chart but Steam, Epic, and Techland's own website have it for tomorrow. (Techland has a timer and it's currently at 12 hours)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Sweet

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Raytracing enabled on High - DLSS balanced at 3440x1440p is a no-go for me. 3070 and 5800x. Raytracing off and everything high is smooth 80+ fps though.

It makes no sense there are no guns left in this world, only 15 years after the collapse or whatever.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Wanderer posted:

It's not the world so much as it's this city. You're somewhere in continental Europe, the city was locked down for vaccine research before things got really bad, and a couple of other things happened. There's a side quest about it in the first area that I just did last night.

Back when the army was in charge, they tried to confiscate arms from the civilian population, and the result was an event that's now known as the "March Massacre" where over 60 people died. The army ended up with at least most of the weapons and ammunition, and now it's been over a decade and the ammunition's run out.

There's actually a pretty easy-to-find one-handed mace that's made from what looks like a pistol with a nightstick grafted onto the slide.

Ah ok. I didn’t read your spoiler but was hoping it would be be explained.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I’m also using the DF setting now but with DLSS set to performance at 3440x1440 5800x/3070 and I’m
In the 70s, 80s.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Levelling seems painfully slow so far.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I can see that the zombie animations aren't quite as good as I remember. It's been years since I played the first one though. I don't get the big complaints about the combat in general. I think part of it comes from the fact that there's so much fun stuff farther down the unlock trees and it takes awhile to get there.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Hakarne posted:

Also the performance hit with ray tracing seems astronomical. I used all mid-range settings but left "Global Illumination" on Ultra RT and was going between 28-50fps outdoors. I caved and dropped it to high with Quality DLSS and ended up at like 70-90 FPS with a 4790k and RTX 2080.

I think the performance hit is worth it honestly. To be fair, you have a 7-year-old CPU and the first generation of GPU that could reasonably use RT so expectations should be tempered. Your performance at those settings seems reasonable to me.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Play posted:

I heard someone complaining that if you're using m+kb you can't walk, only run in a stuttering fashion. Which is probably a little annoying during talking segments. Luckily I use a controller.

Wait, you can walk!?

Play posted:

Overall performance on my 3070 has been very good, but I'm at 1080p and 60 FPS locked. Haven't turned on RT, I'm not a big RT fan, I generally can't tell the difference at all so I don't care. Maybe this game is different but I always remember the Linus Tech Tips video where the majority of people could not tell the difference between RT and baked-in effects unless you really knew what to look for. And even then, it didn't necessarily look any BETTER and sometimes looked worse.

If you're playing 1080p/60 on a 3070 there's like no reason not to turn it on. It looks better, immediately.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm confused about windmills. Aren't I supposed to be able to assign them to either faction or is that mechanic unlocked later?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Ok, I had just had my first story beat issue where I'm like......what? There is a disconnect in continuity here.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I've had 0 bugs about 6 hours into the game. Once I could have sworn I made a jump and in fact, did not. Probably a bug.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Hub Cat posted:

The start is at least as slow as DL1 although it probably wouldn't be as bad if I focused on the main quest instead of getting distracted all the time.

The distraction is strong in this game for sure.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

ymgve posted:

I haven't reached that point, but I think it works like you have to assign power plants and other "big" structures to a faction, and then windmills will belong to that faction. Not that I have seen any meaningful difference between faction windmills yet.

Yeah, I think I haven't progressed to the point where I can do that but it's weird that it's part of the explanation/tool tip.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Calaveron posted:

I feel like these people should all be completely covered in sunburn

Also what country is this analogous to? One of the lady NPCs at the beginning of the game had this hilariously bad accent that either sounded like an australian trying to do a southern accent or a southerner trying to do an australian accent

Western/Central/Eastern Europe.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Hub Cat posted:

Isn't Techland out of Poland? I assumed it was basically Central/Eastern Europe

The answer is generally yes.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Had a decent amount of time off due to the texas storm so I've been playing this alot the past couple days. Honestly have no idea why people and reviewers were talking about how awful the story is. It's not like, amazing or anything but I'm nearing the end (on the x13 story mission) and it's been perfectly average the whole way through.

The story is fine. Especially for an open world game. I appreciate the choices that impact the world. It seems weird to me that this is only 15 years after the total collapse of society but whatever.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Books On Tape posted:

I can’t seem to get anything done at night. It’s too goddamn dark to see anything. I was on a quest to find electrical parts in a hardware store. There was no evident way at all of how to enter the hardware store and as soon as I got to the ground near the quest marker, I’m swarmed by zombies. Another one where I’m supposed to find some backpacks for a kid. There aren’t enough rooftops on the way over to parkour over so I’m forced to the ground to start a chase. Every time I die it starts me at some random waypoint further and further away from where I was. So much of this doesn’t make any sense.

The timer is loving stupid and not fun. Am I missing a lot of if don’t play at all at night?

How far are you with your upgrades, into the story, etc? It's less of an issue as the game progresses.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Mainline stuff is pretty easy, but at level 2 I'm having a lot of difficulty with night-time side quests. I started ignoring them completely...

What are you having a problem with?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Calaveron posted:

I see.
So did anyone figure out if the machete and ax from the preorder bonus respawn? I am 99% sure I got the machete at the beginning of the game and I guess it broke and I think I was able to pull another one out of my stash. I'm waiting for my current machete to break but between the dropkick being a one-hit kill on any rooftop and a durability mod I popped into it I don't see it breaking any time soon.

Yes, they do.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

You used to be able to get one every 90 minutes, now you can't. Not sure if this was a deliberate change or just something breaking.

Weird, I guess haven’t tried in awhile since I’ve out leveled them.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

The 'reload' weapons have no level. They automatically increase damage to match player level.

Dang, you're right, I hadn't noticed that. I also can't redeem them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

Choice quote from that article:

Actually, it's both of those things, and massively so. The combat, progression, parkour, story, and moment to moment gameplay is deeply unsatisfying. The removal of all sense of threat and the mood of the game changing to a generic hack and slash with no combat depth makes it very boring as well. Whoever wrote this went out of their way to defend something that does not need to be defended.

I swear, this concept of people defending the bad work of for-profit corporations is incomprehensible to me. Bad work should always be called out, or else quality suffers because minimal effort will be rewarded with articles like that one, so why try harder?

The things you've listed as deeply unsatisfying are pretty subjective.