Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Cornwind Evil posted:

Even better. The idea, as someone told me, was that since Gonzalez didn't show up but was expected to, they wrapped up also gigantic wrestler Ron Reis like a mummy to disguise him. The idea being that when Gonzalez did show up to take the role, they could wrap him up, then unwrap him and act like it had been Gonzalez the whole time, never mind that it meant that the mummy/YET-TAY would now be inexplicably taller and thinner. But Gonzalez retired instead, so the YET-TAY was dropped completely.

lmao wrestling owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Cornwind Evil posted:

Even better. The idea, as someone told me, was that since Gonzalez didn't show up but was expected to, they wrapped up also gigantic wrestler Ron Reis like a mummy to disguise him. The idea being that when Gonzalez did show up to take the role, they could wrap him up, then unwrap him and act like it had been Gonzalez the whole time, never mind that it meant that the mummy/YET-TAY would now be inexplicably taller and thinner. But Gonzalez retired instead, so the YET-TAY was dropped completely.

That definitely would have been worse.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
If 10 heels hadn't conspired to cause Undertaker to lose the Casket Match and subsequently disappear, then Leslie Nielsen and George Kennedy wouldn't have gotten that 1994 Summerslam gig.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/nambasanreacts/status/1665583600308301824?s=46&t=rSc-CAl4ZevcACnaJdfMFg

doh

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Gone, whatever it was.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Gone, whatever it was.

A Japanese fan telling Jon Moxley that his tattoo was misspelled and meant "bath wrestling" or something. Which is probably a Thing and I find it impolite to try and call out Moxley for his kinks.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

That's the problem with getting tattoos in your non primary language. It's always some kind of a risk unless you speak it yourself.

But back to...
---

THE UNDERTAKER’S NO GOOD, VERY BAD FIRST CAREER QUARTER

Part 4:
THE UNDERTAKER’S NO GOOD, VERY BAD START OF 1995 (with also the other half of 1994)

OPPONENT 4 (Fitting, as we were just discussing a possible Japanese mistranslation, and in Japanese, the number four is heavily associated with death): MY ENEMY, MYSELF

An aside.

One is that opponents that are literally mirrors of each other rarely work as well as you’d think. Mainly because when it happens in fiction, the ‘good guy’ still tends to win, even if the ‘bad guy’ is everything they are, just with opposite morality. It should be a deadlock, or the win should come from something beyond plot armor. Generally the times it works, the win usually comes from the fact that whatever advantages the ‘evil’ side has for abandoning morality is outstripped by the weaknesses they gain. C.S Lewis (or maybe it was J.R.R Tolkien, one of those two) put it very well; “Good can imagine the idea of becoming evil, but evil, once defiantly chosen, can no longer imagine anything but itself’.

So it’s probably not surprising that out of the three ‘your opponent is you’ matchups in wrestling history that I know of (there’s probably others in Mexican, Japanese, and Indy wrestling, it wouldn’t surprise me if Chikara and Kaiju Big Battel have done that bit, more than once), they all more or less sucked. There was the mentioned Sin Cara vs Sin Cara match, there was the fitting fact that 15 or so years after Undertaker did it, his storyline brother Kane got his OWN ‘eviler twin’, the ending of which ended with as large a thud as the OG (Basically, Kane threw his ‘clone’ out the door telling him never to come back…and he didn’t). And of course, there was the Undertaker’s middle part of 1994, the infamous Undertaker vs Underfaker match.

Another funny side note. Everyone who writes about wrestling calls the second Undertaker, played by Brian Lee, the ‘Underfaker’. The only three exceptions I have found or remember are on Wikipedia, which just lists the match as “Undertaker vs Undertaker”, on Cagematch, which lists it as the same (with each Undertaker linked to a different bio, of course) and from an issue of PWI Digest, which had, among other things in the mid 1990’s, a very large listing of big event and PPV match results. In that, the match was listed as “Undertaker defeated Evil Undertaker”. So yeah, to the PWI, that false Undertaker was EVIL. Must be because he was controlled by money. Roots and all.

But yes. Gavok laid out how the story went. First, there was some build up by various video interviews of people saying they’d seen the Undertaker before he disappeared (like a guy who supposedly sold him some donuts), complete with some doctored photos showing him doing stuff like…running with a bunch of runners in a park. In his wrestling gear. Then Ted Dibiase, who had ‘brought the Undertaker’ into the WWE to begin with, said that he had found the Undertaker and was bringing him back. He then unveiled Brian Lee as ‘his’ Undertaker, a wrestler who had made a few appearances in the WWE before, but had spent the last few years being one of the top stars in Jim Cornette’s Smokey Mountain Wrestling. While not QUITE as large as Mark Calloway, he was still a good 6’6 tall, and with his hair dyed red, dressed up with the Undertaker’s outfits, and actually doing a decent mimicking job of the man’s gimmick, he was a close enough pass at the ranges that most fans would see him at. When Paul Bearer immediately realized this was not his Undertaker, and said he had ‘made contact’ with the real one and he would be returning at Summerslam, it seemed like a simple build.

Then the WWE decided that since The Naked Gun had recently gotten its third film into theaters, that they should promote the match using Leslie Neilson and George Kennedy from the film, acting as their film characters (I forget if they were ever referred to as said character’s names, that being Frank Drebin and Ed Hocken, or if they were just ‘the men, pretending to be their roles), appearing in bits filled with traditional Zucker puns and silliness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmd5gxYHslU

And for some reason, since the PPV was sponsored by Dominoes’ Pizza, they decided to put THAT in the bits as well as product placement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRVeq3e-bDI&t=70s

I don’t know who thought any of this was a good idea, except maybe the Naked Gun filmmakers, to try and draw attention away from the fact that that June 1994 was when O.J Simpson allegedly (ha ha…ha. Yeah, OJ killed them, we all know it) committed the two murders that would define his existence, and with OJ having been a supporting character in all three films, perhaps any sort of distraction would do. It wouldn’t be the last time wrestling did stupid movie cross promotion. I still shake my head at Rick Steiner trying to get into a fight with Chucky.

And of course, to top it off, the match was infamously bad. This boiled down to several factors. One was that despite swapping out his gray gloves for purple ones, which he’d keep until late 1996, and despite Calloway-Undertaker having several inches in height on Lee-Undertaker, it was hard for many fans in the arena to tell who was who. On top of that, it was like the fact that this was a battle of two Undertakers meant that both had to act like ‘Undertaker Classic’, ie being slow, plodding, and rest holdy, instead of Calloway breaking out any of the more agile moves he had started doing. Two nigh identical men doing the same sluggish moves, ESPECIALLY after following the insanely great Steel Cage match between Bret and Owen Hart that had preceded it, just sucked all the energy out of the crowd. This was a match that NEEDED overbooking, and instead we got bare bones. And hence, when Undertaker kicked out of an Underfaker Tombstone, and then slammed the Underfaker with three Tombstones of his own and got the pin, it was more a sigh of relief that the dullness was over. Ted Dibiase, who’d been at ringside, fled once his ‘evil clone’ was bested, and Undertaker rolled Underfaker into a nearby casket that had been brought to ringside and closed him in. Then after one final bit with Nelson and Kennedy with one final bad pun (after discovering no Underfaker, Kennedy noted a closed suitcase, and when Nelson picked it up, Kennedy declared that meant ‘the case was closed’ and they should go get something to eat). Supposedly, it was possible that the WWE might have intended to keep the Underfaker/Brian Lee around and have some more matches with the Undertaker, but if those plans ever really existed, Summerslam ended them right quick. The Underfaker was promptly never, ever mentioned again, with Undertaker immediately returning to his Yokozuna feud.

But, with that also ended in November, it was time to move on…to more badness.

OPPONENT 5: THE FAKE IRS AGENT WHO LOVED TAXES SO MUCH THAT HE SAID THAT DEAD PEOPLE SHOULD STILL PAY THEM

Or

THE DEAD PRESIDENTS SAGA, PART 1: DRUID? drat NEAR RUINED IT!

Man, the IRS sure is evil, isn’t it? What with them often doing all they can to help you with legitimate tax issues and errors, and only auditing as the last resort, and being toothless in collecting taxes from the likes who really need to pay their fair share…but then again, the WWE was far from the first to portray the organization as a force of evil so powerful, even the nastiest villains didn’t want to face it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G56VgsLfKY4

In all seriousness, it’s pretty darn impressive what Mike Rotunda managed to get out of his gimmick of ‘evil wrestling accountant who basically thought absolutely everyone was cheating on their taxes somehow and that justified everything he did’. He got to be part of a successful tag team in Money.Inc, which co-main evented Wrestlemania 9, and he not only got on a lot more PPVs then you’d think he would (he debuted the character in April 1991, and between that and when he left in the late summer of 1995, of the 21 PPV’s that aired, Rotonda, in one form of another, was on a staggering 15 of them as a competitor. And if we stretch to his qualifying round that he lost on the pre-show of King of the Ring 1995 and appearing as a lumberjack at the In Your House the next month just before he left, that puts him on an astonishing 17 PPV appearances. To contrast this, the only guy who definitely beats that record is Bret Hart, who was arguably WWE’s biggest star in the first half of the 90’s; he appeared on all those PPVs, including the Tuesday In Texas and In Your Houses that IRS was around for. The only other one is arguably the Undertaker himself, who showed up on 16 of them, and if we count dark matches, just over IRS’ record at 18). With all that, you forget that Rotunda had success in wrestling BEFORE all this, in the mid 80’s in the WWE with Barry Windham as the U.S Express (they were tag champions twice) and then in WCW as the Varsity Club, a now mostly forgotten but very popular stable there at the time, that being in the mid to late 80’s (Kevin Sullivan, discussed at length in my Dungeon of Doom writeup, was also a member). He got to do some truly wicked heel acts (such as storyline damaging Brutus Beefcake’s face and destroying a headdress awarded to Tatanka by his tribe elders) and picked up wins when you’d least expect it, like beating the 1-2-3 Kid at Summerslam 1993 and beating the gigantic Mabel (who was in a ‘tempting fate’ way promoted as an unstoppable force who was the inevitable winner and who outright said that I.R.S would NEVER pin him…and then IRS pinned him. Though to be fair he used the ropes for leverage ie he cheated) in the quarter finals of the 1994 King of the Ring before losing in the semi finals. Oh yeah, and his kids are Bray Wyatt and Bo Dallas, on top of that (he also has a daughter, Mika, who’s not involved in the business).

And, with the Yokozuna feud ended, he ended up being Undertaker’s next opponent, what with the whole almost costing him the match thing at Survivor Series 1994. Why? Well, because being dead doesn't mean you shouldn’t pay taxes! Or something. More logically, because Ted DiBiase was putting together a heel stable and wanted revenge on Undertaker for thwarting his Undertaker’s evil plans…whatever they were. Win matches and make money for DiBiase, I guess. Still, against such a fearsome dark force that IRS had also pissed off, the tax man would need an edge. And since at this time his son was only seven years old and IRS didn't feel like waiting another 20 years for him to battle the Undertaker, he had to look elsewhere.

He wasn't the first to try this. This was actually something that other people who feuded with the Undertaker would do; to combat his ‘evil dark side powers and aura and all that’, they’d try and find their own understanding or ways of darkness. Ultimate Warrior, during his Undertaker feud, tried to have Jake Roberts teach him ‘dark ways’, only for Roberts to use his ‘lessons’ to lure Warrior into a trap and turn on him, revealing he was already working with Undertaker to destroy Warrior (and then since Warrior bailed on the company after Summerslam 1991, that feud was promptly dropped). Years later, Booker “T” Huffman would have a short feud with the Undertaker and, in trying to get an edge, would turn to a VOODOO PRIEST to try and teach him his own dark magic. IIRC, that very short feud and story bit came from a writer who also pitched that the short lived Jon Heidenreich should debut in the WWE as a Nazi super soldier that had been frozen in ice and thawed out like some sort of Bizzaro Captain America (there IS a Captain Nazi comic book character, but he belongs to DC, not Marvel, by the way). So it’s not always Vince Russo that has ‘those kind’ of ideas. So what would IRS seek out to aid him in his battle?

Druids.

Yep, druids. It was possible that there was an extra layer of evil and that these were the UNDERTAKER’S druids, or two of them, corrupted by the power of MONEY to turn against the dead man. With the druids, IRS now had 'the advantage'. or some forms of logic might suggest, and so faced the Undertaker at the 1995 Royal Rumble.

He promptly came out without them. This proved to be a very poor decision as he hit Undertaker with an admittedly nice dropkick and Undertaker, of course, no sold it. So Ted DiBiase called in THE DRUIDS. And how did they help?

They shook the ring ropes so that Undertaker fell down. Truly Schyster had gone the extra mile in recruiting these villains.

The sad thing is, of all the opponents Undertaker had faced and had yet to face, it’s arguable that Rotonda was the best worker amongst them. And yet he didn’t click with Undertaker, their match another generic affair which saw IRS thinking he could defeat the Undertaker with, of all things, an abdominal stretch. In the end, IRS didn’t even rate a Tombstone, getting beaten with a chokeslam.

And then, out came the Million Dollar Corporation's ace. The giant walking peeled potato, the massive egg that existed before people were making copies of the Five Nights at Freddy’s game series, KING KONG BUNDY.

At which point IRS and the druids jumped Undertaker (and Paul Bearer) and stole his urn, making off with it while Bundy beat up the Undertaker, setting up the Undertaker’s next feud. Or rather, the next member of the stable he was going to feud with for ⅔ of the year. But first, it would be Bundy, at Wrestlemania XI. And the druids?

Well, the ones at the Rumble were portrayed by one of the Nazi Harris brothers (then wrestling as the “Blu Brothers”) and “Gigolo” Jimmy Del Ray of the Heavenly Bodies. I am certain that there was another match with Undertaker some point after the Royal Rumble that was included on one of the WWE’s video collections, or somewhere, I KNOW I saw it, where the druids fought with him and Undertaker unmasked one to reveal…it was actually evil Native American Tatanka under the hood. It made sense in that Tatanka was also a member of DiBiase’s stable, having turned heel in the summer of 1994 Also, just to show that in the end, we’re all marks, while plenty of people probably saw Tatanka’s turn coming a thousand miles away, I was completely surprised by it. Then again, I was a pretty drat marky mark back during those days.. It did not make sense that Tatanka was a druid, because the idea was the druids had special dark rope shaking powers that would help counter the Undertaker. I don’t know if the other druid was ever unmasked (de-hooded?), but it seemed like Undertaker learned from the experience and started paying his druids better, as none of them ever turned on him after this.

Next (and possibly the last one): Undertaker’s actual worst opponent ever.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 5, 2023

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Thanks for the effort posts these are fascinating.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Cornwind Evil posted:

So it’s probably not surprising that out of the three ‘your opponent is you’ matchups in wrestling history that I know of (there’s probably others in Mexican, Japanese, and Indy wrestling, it wouldn’t surprise me if Chikara and Kaiju Big Battel have done that bit, more than once)

Yes, Chikara did indeed do this in its early days.

Chikara had a wrestler named Lance Steel whose gimmick was that he was a knight from medieval times who came to the present via time rift. He wore a colorful outfit that basically looked like a luchador knight. Later on, he would also wear "armor" (just a thick pleathery torso cover, looking like colorful shoulder pads) over his tights that made him immune to chest slaps and would hurt his opponent's hand.

Anyway, Lance started as a face and teamed up with eyepatch-wearing wrestler Jolly Roger as the tag team with the incredibly dated name Knight Eye for the Pirate Guy. After Roger left, Lance needed a new partner. He decided to use a time machine to pull another Lance out from the timeline and we had Lance Steel and Lance Steel as Lance-A-Lot. They were initially successful and had a finishing move where one gave the other a piggyback ride, the rider put his fist forward, and the carrier ran forward to punch out the opponent, like a makeshift joust.

The problem was that the second Lance Steel was younger (an entire week!) and there was a generational divide. For instance, Chikara had a couple dragon-based wrestlers as a satire on how many indie wrestlers had "dragon" in their name. One was Retail Dragon, a lesser version of Super Dragon who wore a Target employee vest. Then there was the infamous Dragon Dragon, who was just a guy in a dragon mascot costume. The younger Lance Steel liked to hang out with these guys, but his counterpart was aghast because knights and dragons were common enemies.

After losing their chance at a title shot, the two Lances broke up and started feuding. Fans were... confused. As there was not enough room for two Lance Steels, they decided to have a Loser Banished to the Past match. The younger Lance Steel won via cheating, fully turning himself heel. The original Lance Steel was sent back in time.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Gavok posted:

The original Lance Steel was sent back in time.

but man, what a ride

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Chikara seems like it was a loving trip.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Deki posted:

When I win a few million dollars, I will hire Robert Rodriguez to turn some of Chikara's Wikipedia pages and posts like that into a movie.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Deki posted:

it was plus they had claudio, eddie kingston, orange cassidy etc etc etc

so many of aew's breakout stars have been in chikara

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've heard Chikara described as basically live action Kinnikuman.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Grendels Dad posted:

A Japanese fan telling Jon Moxley that his tattoo was misspelled and meant "bath wrestling" or something. Which is probably a Thing and I find it impolite to try and call out Moxley for his kinks.

I know for a fact Bath Wrestling was a thing. When I was getting into obscure Japanese wrestling, a friend let me borrow a tape, I think from FMW? Looking up on google, it was Tarzan goto and Mr. Gannosuke vs The Headhunters. Mostly it was just an excuse for them to roll around in a bath house, and press each other into naked women and drown each other.

It was.. uh. Not good.

The rest of the tape was mostly death matches. It did introduce me to Hayabusa, who was pretty amazing at the time, and who did some stuff with ECW. He had a tragically short career. Also to Megumi Kudo, which blew my mind how good she was compared to women's wrestling on WWF at the time.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

PicklePants posted:

Also to Megumi Kudo, which blew my mind how good she was compared to women's wrestling on WWF at the time.

Wikipedia Data posted:

"Kudo is primarily known for competing in brutal death matches, where the ring ropes were replaced with barbed wire..."

Debut August 8, 1986
Retired April 29, 1997

These two factors are either really good (she got out early) or really BAD (she got mauled so badly her career was less than a decade).

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Nah. I think she got out super early, did commentary for various Japanese promotions for a while, and also got involved in back stage stuff.

She's the general manager of Pro Wrestling ZERO1

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

PicklePants posted:

I know for a fact Bath Wrestling was a thing. When I was getting into obscure Japanese wrestling, a friend let me borrow a tape, I think from FMW? Looking up on google, it was Tarzan goto and Mr. Gannosuke vs The Headhunters. Mostly it was just an excuse for them to roll around in a bath house, and press each other into naked women and drown each other.

It was.. uh. Not good.

Nudity warning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJi3dJG4mko

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The Giant Gonzales reading lit a memory in my noggin and it starts with Extreme Warfare.

Ever play with that? It's a wrestling simulator that has been going since the late 90's. For a lot of us ol fans it was the best and only way to simulate owning and running a wrestling business.
You could be WWE, WCW, ECW, a bunch of others or make up your very own, it was great.

You could sign or fire wrestlers and even the refs! Some were naturally better than others and could affect the overall rating of the match. Business could swing up or down on the random affecting ad deals or even if the network wanted you or not. It all affected the money. You needed that to run things, unless you gave yourself a trillion dollars to start with and went wild as you wanted.

Someone should do a good write up on the whole thing.

People would book and do their fantasy wrestling and post results. Some took this further, they took what they were doing and made entire actual stories out of it all, some of which was mighty entertaining. But one became legend.

One came up with the story line of Vince McMahon getting a head injury and upon waking up had his best ever idea. Vince knew who was the one to take the WWE into the future, the only true champion that could be. The one. The only.....Giant Gonzales! The joke was everyone but Vince thought it was a horrible idea and tried to change his mind, but hey it's Vince whatcha going to do? The writer would book the results and happenings and expand upon it all into these wonderfully funny postings. It was a riot. A Giant Gonzales match was lucky to get a single star rating and more often than not was half a star or more frequently given the much loved dud rating. There were quite a few stories, can't really recall them except them being utterly hilarious. Vince as written thought he was awesome due to the brain injury. Shame I can't find them but they're probably older than some people posting.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I don’t have a lot of childhood memories but The Undertaker’s debut and early 90s shenanigans is one of them so I’m deeply enjoying these write ups. I’ll never forget how awesome I thought Undertaker stopping Jake’s chair shot and “who’s side are you on?” “NOT YOURS.” was; I still love the trope of the big scary dude stepping in to stop an injustice too far to this day. As I do histrionic midnight movie hosts.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I don’t have a lot of childhood memories but The Undertaker’s debut and early 90s shenanigans is one of them so I’m deeply enjoying these write ups. I’ll never forget how awesome I thought Undertaker stopping Jake’s chair shot and “who’s side are you on?” “NOT YOURS.” was; I still love the trope of the big scary dude stepping in to stop an injustice too far to this day. As I do histrionic midnight movie hosts.

that's why everyone loved crow sting too

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

It brings me no pleasure to report to the thread that Iron Sheik has died at 81

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

quote:

In true Sheik fashion, the last tweet sent from his account, just hours before his passing, was "F*** THE WILDFIRES"

Legend. He will be missed.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1666246676409905152?s=20

Love it, went out like a champ.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

MrQwerty posted:

He can take comfort in the fact that his catchphrase "America ptoo" is more popular now than ever.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Sheikie baby was the legend.
gently caress THE MONDAYS, gently caress THE WILD FIRES, gently caress THE DEATH, SHEIK MAKE DEATH HUMBLE!!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

MrQwerty posted:

RIP to the best shitposter of all time

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

He's breaking the back of the Reaper now

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
loving his rear end and making him humble.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The Iron Sheik moment that always comes to mind is this time he was doing a shoot interview with New Jack and Honky Tonk Man shortly after the whole Benoit tragedy happened. Sheik was crying to the camera and yelling as if he was talking to Benoit himself. New Jack was next to him, intensely staring off to the side, getting his thoughts together for when it was his turn to speak.

Now, English was not Sheik's first language. The thing he was trying to convey in his ramblings was that while murdering your wife is absolutely horrible, murdering your own child is another level of disgusting.

The way he said that? "Chris Benoit! I don't even CARE that you killed Nancy Sullivan!" The moment he said that, New Jack noticeably flinched, then went back to what he was doing.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gavok posted:

The Iron Sheik moment that always comes to mind is this time he was doing a shoot interview with New Jack and Honky Tonk Man shortly after the whole Benoit tragedy happened. Sheik was crying to the camera and yelling as if he was talking to Benoit himself. New Jack was next to him, intensely staring off to the side, getting his thoughts together for when it was his turn to speak.

Now, English was not Sheik's first language. The thing he was trying to convey in his ramblings was that while murdering your wife is absolutely horrible, murdering your own child is another level of disgusting.

The way he said that? "Chris Benoit! I don't even CARE that you killed Nancy Sullivan!" The moment he said that, New Jack noticeably flinched, then went back to what he was doing.

I kinda wanna see this but holy poo poo I also really don’t.
:smith:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Cartoon Man posted:

It was really depressing. Besides what Sheik said above, HTM was all "I get wanting to murder your wife, kill the bitch, but don't kill your kid" like it was perfectly normal to just off your spouse.

New Jack stayed real silent until they were done, and IIRC he started off by saying something like "Y'all didn't know Nancy, but Nancy was a friend of mine" and basically went off on how hosed up in the head Benoit was. It definitely wasn't easy viewing at that particular moment, that's for sure (especially as prior to the Benoit stuff, it was mostly them drinking beers and laughing and talking poo poo and telling tall wrestling tales).

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I hope you got a lot of good coke with that extra $100k that WCW paid you when they forgot you were on the roster, Sheiky baby.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Cartoon Man posted:

have this video of him reacting to michael richards' racist meltdown at the laugh factory instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t9ZVnkAbas

partial transcript:

quote:

KRAMER
YOU ARE PREJUDICED NO GOOD SON OF A BITCH
I WISH MR. REGIS REGIS PHILBIN
OR DAVID LETTERMAN
HAD INVITE ME TO THEIR SHOW
TO TALK ABOUT YOU NO GOOD LOW LIFE SON OF A BITCH PREJUDICE

AND I WANT TO LET YOU KNOW
I RESPECTED IT
I RESPECTED YOU
I RESPECTED THE JABRONI THERE EHHH... 🤔 BOSSMAN EHH EH JERRY... JERRY SEINFELD
EHHHH AND ALSO AH NEW-NEWMAN 😇

BUT I WANNA LET YOU KNOW
HEY PLEASE I'M TALKING
I WANNA LET YOU KNOW KRAMER
YOU NO GOOD LOWLIFE SON OF A BITCH
EH SKINNY BASTARD
I'M GONNA COME
PUT YOU
SUPLEX YOU
AHH'LL PUT YOU IN THE CAMEL CLUTCH
AND I'M GONNA gently caress YOUR rear end

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

MrQwerty posted:

rip to a real one

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

he lived to 81 which is well beyond his expected life expectancy of being a pro wrestler and the iron sheik

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

he's cutting promos on the jesus now

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Still going to be well remembered for the time he and Hacksaw got pulled over for a dui and a generation of wrestling fans learned they were actually best friends not the most hated of enemies.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

pentyne posted:

Still going to be well remembered for the time he and Hacksaw got pulled over for a dui and a generation of wrestling fans learned they were actually best friends not the most hated of enemies.

he was fired from the wwe for this and not the cocaine lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he lived to 81 which is well beyond his expected life expectancy of being a pro wrestler and the iron sheik

When WWF did a Gimmick Battle Royal at WrestleMania 17 back in 2001, Iron Sheik won the match purely because he was too broken down to handle going over the top rope.

A funny story someone told me years ago was that Sheik was doing an interview for an LGBT satellite radio channel. When they were asking about the Ultimate Warrior, Sheik said, "I hate the Ultimate Warrior! The Ultimate Warrior is SO GAY!"

The host was all, "Hey, maybe don't use that word like that. This is a gay radio station. We're gay."

His response? "He's even gayer than YOU!"