Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I know it's not a movie but Rowdy Roddy Piper slayed as The Maniac on It's Always Sunny :(

Rip king

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I know it's not a movie but Rowdy Roddy Piper slayed as The Maniac on It's Always Sunny :(

Rip king

i liked that they were always shocked by the poo poo The Maniac was doing, im glad roddy got that in the end

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Why stop at movies.

https://youtu.be/LxLhytQ67fs?si=Vhb9NwLfJZ7Zz71G

They had everybody in this one.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 14, 2024

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he's jewish and before he went with his last name as his wrestler name he wanted to go by mossad

was he going to name his finisher Lillehammer

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cartoon Man posted:

Why stop at movies.

https://youtu.be/LxLhytQ67fs?si=Vhb9NwLfJZ7Zz71G

They had everybody in this one.
I think I watched that when it was broadcast in Saturday nights main event.

Apparently there is a part two.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Goldberg's recurring role on The Goldbergs as a gym teacher was the right choice and I'm glad they did it.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Hopefully this is just brain trauma from too many DDT's but do I actually remember a DDP movie. Or maybe it was just an episode of something? Am I nuts??

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
DDP was in the Devil's Rejects

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Extra Large Marge posted:

DDP was in the Devil's Rejects

The Rob Zombie movie? I think it's prior to that but then again that was like easily a decade ago so....

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Literally A Person posted:

The Rob Zombie movie? I think it's prior to that but then again that was like easily a decade ago so....

That was 19 years ago. Feel old?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

rally posted:

That was 19 years ago. Feel old?

Jesus Christ :wtfdude:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Hopefully this is just brain trauma from too many DDT's but do I actually remember a DDP movie. Or maybe it was just an episode of something? Am I nuts??

he was in the pilot episode of the brak show where it was a variety talk show

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I can't bring myself to watch it, but there's a bizarre looking Adi Shankar Netflix superhero series where the lead is apparently DDP playing a batman-type. I had to look up the cast because it is wild: "The Guardians of Justice" also has Johnny "TV" Hennigan, Jane Seymore, Andy Milonakis (man forgot that guy existed), a guy from Stargate, Denise Richards, Brigitte Neilson, and a bunch of lesser Twilight and Disney Channel actors.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sega 32X posted:

a guy from Stargate

How dare you drag Christopher Judge like this. "a guy from Stargate," indeed.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Maybe you're thinking of the DDP deleted scene from the Oscar-snubbed movie "Rat Race".

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

edit: oops video links broke. I'll fix later

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So here’s a quick effortpost in light of today’s events. In wrestling, there’s a common thread that sometimes you need to bet on yourself. Steve Austin was let go from WCW because Bischoff didn’t think he had enough potential. Chris Jericho left WCW because they wouldn’t give him a chance to be the star he knew he was. Xavier Woods knew he wasn’t going anywhere in WWE, so he told Vince McMahon to give him an opportunity to make a Kofi Kingston heel run work, and he did. Cody Rhodes left WWE to make a name for himself, did so, screwed up his own vision for himself in AEW, then returned to WWE to become one of its top stars. If you know what you’re worth, then go out there and prove what you’re worth.

And then there’s QT Marshall.

https://twitter.com/Gavin4L/status/1757870997716210099

Marshall is a journeyman who has been wrestling since 2009. He appeared in NXT a couple times as a nameless jobber to be squashed, usually in tag matches. He had a cup of coffee in Ring of Honor. Then when AEW started, he was practically hidden in plain sight as one of Cody Rhodes’ buddies. He was just far less interesting than MJF, who was Cody’s protégé who everyone (even Cody to an extent) knew was going to stab him in the back any minute.

QT’s deal was that he just hung out with Cody and always had an apple on him.

Backstage, he was a production assistant and was apparently really good at his job. Cody would talk about how someone would be looking for QT to answer a question and Cody would be all, “I’m here. What is it you need?” Then after hearing the question, he’d decide, “You’re right, QT can handle that.”

QT jobbed a couple times in tag matches on AEW Dark, meaning he barely existed to begin with. His televised debut came in a rather cool match. To set the picture, MJF had finally betrayed Cody and their feud was starting up. A tag team named the Butcher and the Blade showed up to aid MJF as hired muscle in what’s considered the dumbest debut in AEW history, but that’s another story.

A match was put together where Butcher and the Blade would face Cody and a partner of MJF’s choosing. MJF went with QT, who just came off as some schlub they pulled off the street. The match was pretty awesome. The crowd would chant, “CODY’S PARTNER!” and QT embraced the opportunity by pulling off some cool, if sloppy, lucha moves. I best read someone on this forum describe it as if an average guy was possessed by a luchador's ghost and was surprised by what he was suddenly capable of.

And let it be said, while talented, QT had the look of a middle-aged Charlie Brown. Finding out he was only in his 30s was a genuine shock.

Looking back, one of the more annoying parts of early AEW and Cody’s run in general was how utterly boring Cody’s entourage was. He would play up how he was training all these guys as the Nightmare Factory and they were always the blandest guys ever. As the roster was really figuring itself out, you had dudes like Brock Anderson killing the mood. QT was part of all that as his assistant trainer.

QT continued to job a lot, but did have some success with Dustin Rhodes as the Natural Nightmares. Two things of note happened around this time. One, there was a YouTube segment where QT visited the home of Diamond Dallas Page, who gifted him the Diamond Cutter as his finisher. Two, QT started to have Allie, otherwise known as the Bunny, as his on-air romance.

The story was that Allie was very obviously scamming QT for everything he had, which was kind of weird as it was pretty well known that she with the Blade and it was mentioned later down the line that QT was married. Anyway, Allie had a run as a tag partner with Brandi Rhodes, but soon the other shoe dropped and she revealed she was with Butcher and the Blade. This culminated in a Bunkhouse match won by the Natural Nightmares.

On Sammy Guevara’s vlog, QT started acting like an rear end in a top hat, especially to lovable jobber El Fuego. I guess they were using this to test the waters for a heel turn as he really had nothing else going on. Normally, that would have been a good idea.

Unfortunately, QT’s heel turn was based on turning on Cody and making a whole feud out of it. Feeling like he was in Cody’s shadow, he challenged Cody to a friendly exhibition match. Then QT’s students beat the poo poo out of Cody and people watching were wondering why this was even happening. Why was Cody slumming it like this? It’s like if Hulk Hogan was suddenly feuding with the Repo Man.

QT’s Factory was made up of three other wrestlers. Aaron Solo was a talented, if uninteresting, high-flier who ended up being the human shield of the team. Nick Comoroto was a large, hairy beast man who looked like he could potentially become something down the line. Then there was Anthony Ogogo, an English boxer who was being built up as the real threat of the group. He became the focus in the feud against Cody, giving us some of the worst segments in AEW, including Cody’s infamous, “America is great because I had an interracial baby!” promo. After Ogogo lost to Cody at a PPV, he needed extensive eye surgery and has been missing since.

The Factory just existed to job, though QT did become something like a level 1 boss on Dark Elevation. Eventually, they changed things up by becoming QTV. There would be TMZ segments, usually on Rampage, focused on QT and his minions. Comoroto vanished, but Solo stuck around with the gimmick of always using breath spray. Hammy Australian singer Harley Cameron became their spokeswoman. John Morrison joined as Johnny TV, where he did a big pile of nothing.

The biggest offense was that QT roped in Powerhouse Hobbs. Hobbs is a great talent who always seems like he’s on the cusp of becoming a huge deal. Then he joined QTV and even he seemed to wonder what he was doing there.

Around this time, QT started doing more stuff in AAA. He won the Latin American Title and started defending it a lot, including on Rampage, as an American heel soiling this proud Mexican championship. This may have gone to his head in reality, as he was growing uncomfortable with AEW’s direction and was probably getting tired of wrestling Brandon Cutler in dark matches.

And so, right on the heels of CM Punk’s shocking WWE return, QT announced that he was wrapping up his deal with AEW. It felt very much like a moment that was kicking the company while it was down as it made it seem like everyone in AEW suddenly wanted out. Supposedly, one of the bigger things bothering QT was that he wanted to wrestle more and he wanted to prove that he could be a star.

With Cody being a big deal in WWE, there was also the strong probability that he was angling to be brought into the WWE fold. That is, even though Punk apparently hated his guts.

Several months later, nothing of note happened with QT and now he’s back working backstage at AEW. The caveat is that he isn’t going to be on air talent and will not be wrestling.

loving ouch.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Sega 32X posted:

I can't bring myself to watch it, but there's a bizarre looking Adi Shankar Netflix superhero series where the lead is apparently DDP playing a batman-type. I had to look up the cast because it is wild: "The Guardians of Justice" also has Johnny "TV" Hennigan, Jane Seymore, Andy Milonakis (man forgot that guy existed), a guy from Stargate, Denise Richards, Brigitte Neilson, and a bunch of lesser Twilight and Disney Channel actors.

I have a huge tolerance for stupid bullshit and i love a ton of things that the goon hivemind deem to be bad and even i find that show completely unwatchable. It's really terrible in every conceivable way.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I feel kinda bad for QT that his dream is so obviously never going to materialize for him no matter how much he tries to force it, but he really just isn't that great of a wrestler. He's technically solid but boring to watch and he moves pretty clunkily. He's good on the mic but his material is always really cringe. He wants it so bad but it's never going to happen because he doesn't have that X factor but you can't say he hasn't put in the work. He's not lazy for whatever else you might say about him

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

QT jobbed a couple times in tag matches on AEW Dark, meaning he barely existed to begin with. His televised debut came in a rather cool match. To set the picture, MJF had finally betrayed Cody and their feud was starting up. A tag team named the Butcher and the Blade showed up to aid MJF as hired muscle in what’s considered the dumbest debut in AEW history, but that’s another story.

I feel like I saw this but I'm curious about it cuz I've obviously memory holed it

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

what are today's events?

i'm following this stuff from a big distance these days.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

DDP was the bad guy in the acclaimed motion picture Ready To Rumble, a movie that led to David Arquette being WCW Champ

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Archer666 posted:

DDP was the bad guy in the acclaimed motion picture Ready To Rumble, a movie that led to David Arquette being WCW Champ

lol that this wasnt even the worst wcw champion

vince russo won it

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

HonorableTB posted:

I feel kinda bad for QT that his dream is so obviously never going to materialize for him no matter how much he tries to force it, but he really just isn't that great of a wrestler. He's technically solid but boring to watch and he moves pretty clunkily. He's good on the mic but his material is always really cringe. He wants it so bad but it's never going to happen because he doesn't have that X factor but you can't say he hasn't put in the work. He's not lazy for whatever else you might say about him

God, I sympathize. The absolute cruelest thing for someone with a dream is being told "You don't have 'it'." It doesn't matter how hard you work, how much you sacrifice, how hard you try and learn, how you never give up...sorry, kid. You just don't have some random arbitrary factor that this guy who does one half/one quarter/one tenth the work you do and did happens to have. Never mind nepotism, or manipulation giving others things that you arguably deserve much more. You see the stories like Mick Foley, who sacrificed so much, but he DID get to have his dream, and yes the consequences weigh all the more on him every passing year, but he got it, or the likes of Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit before life poo poo on them so hard, or heck, even Cody himself, who managed to possibly get his chance to 'finish the story' by dint of fan connection forcing a change.

But no. You are not even B+. C at best. You don't have 'it'.

Quite frankly, I don't blame a person if they don't listen. The other option is not only so much more painful, but it's not a pain that will grant maturity, really, nor is it something that maturity can much help with. It's the kind of thing that, no matter how adult and realistic you try and be, just resonates still deep, deep down with those terrible three words: it's not fair. Yes, life's not fair, you should know this, but some things simply will not go in that box, no matter how hard you try. At best it's a pain you have to live with and not let it negatively affect you.

Speaking from personal experience? Not really, but still. I sympathize.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/z2wnGGq.mp4

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Cornwind Evil posted:

God, I sympathize. The absolute cruelest thing for someone with a dream is being told "You don't have 'it'." It doesn't matter how hard you work, how much you sacrifice, how hard you try and learn, how you never give up...sorry, kid. You just don't have some random arbitrary factor that this guy who does one half/one quarter/one tenth the work you do and did happens to have. Never mind nepotism, or manipulation giving others things that you arguably deserve much more. You see the stories like Mick Foley, who sacrificed so much, but he DID get to have his dream, and yes the consequences weigh all the more on him every passing year, but he got it, or the likes of Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit before life poo poo on them so hard, or heck, even Cody himself, who managed to possibly get his chance to 'finish the story' by dint of fan connection forcing a change.

But no. You are not even B+. C at best. You don't have 'it'.

Quite frankly, I don't blame a person if they don't listen. The other option is not only so much more painful, but it's not a pain that will grant maturity, really, nor is it something that maturity can much help with. It's the kind of thing that, no matter how adult and realistic you try and be, just resonates still deep, deep down with those terrible three words: it's not fair. Yes, life's not fair, you should know this, but some things simply will not go in that box, no matter how hard you try. At best it's a pain you have to live with and not let it negatively affect you.

Speaking from personal experience? Not really, but still. I sympathize.

You can also call this Lex Luger Syndrome

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

luger was a great heel

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Gavok posted:

And then there’s QT Marshall

When I first saw QT Marshall I thought this dude looks schlubby and old as hell. Then I looked him up and he is literally 1 week younger than me, born one town over from me, has an incredibly similar background to me, and is the same height. In the alternate universe where I turned out a pro wrestler I am almost assuredly QT Marshall at best

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i don't really know who qt marshall is

he must be one of them 'for the boys' wrestlers who the smarks latch onto

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

HonorableTB posted:

You can also call this Lex Luger Syndrome

Not REALLY. Luger got chances. He got to be WCW champion more than once. He got brought into the WWE as a semi big deal and was the first one Vince tried to remake Hogan with. There is a debate how much Luger failed to connect with fans and how much the WWE strangled that chance by having Luger win the match, but not the title, at Summerslam (reinforcing Luger's reputation in kayfabe as a 'choker' who 9/10 failed to win the big one). And he got to be part of one of the great WCW moments when he beat Hogan for the WCW Title on a Nitro, which popped a big rating and got a giant crowd reaction. They could have rode that to the top, but Hogan only lets the spotlight slip away for a bit, brother, and by dropping it back to Hogan in less than a week, Luger got the legs cut out from under him again. Luger is less a case of 'not having 'it'' and more 'Never could fully grasp onto 'it'', a what if, a possibility unrealized.

QT Marshall seems very much to be a 'Not gonna happen, ever, no chances, no brass rings offered, no respect for efforts given. You are, for lack of a better term, unworthy.' And when that's not coming from a heel during a storyline or from the personal vendettas of crazy sex trafficking rapists, but just sort of 'everyone and everything in general', I mean, cripes. It's like I said. It's not fair.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I feel like the only QT Marshall match I heard about was a mid-card squash match against Big Show/Paul Wight at an AEW PPV shortly after he came over from WWE. I can't even remember if I bothered trying to find it on YouTube after it happened.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

roomtone posted:

what are today's events?

i'm following this stuff from a big distance these days.

Just that QT went back to AEW after being gone for only a couple months.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

titties posted:

I have a huge tolerance for stupid bullshit and i love a ton of things that the goon hivemind deem to be bad and even i find that show completely unwatchable. It's really terrible in every conceivable way.

I liked the initial premise (Superman stand-in kills himself on camera and the whole world struggles to deal with it) but yeah, I lost interest pretty drat fast.

It's a pretty big waste that a dude named "QT" doesn't have a "delusional vain heel" gimmick.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Looking at it another way, QT had more success than the vast majority of wrestlers busting their humps on the indies, many of which more talented with better looks who just never got the opportunity. Compare to a guy like Luther who's been at it over 30 years, watched everyone he came up with in Canada go on to big things while he was working bingo halls the entire time, had a cup of coffee in Japan and a low card run in AEW, and for an indie wrestler, he's a pretty big success, only a very few people get to even have a career that hits that level. It's correct that not everyone has what it takes to make it, but I've known a lot of indie wrestlers who'd love to have the career he's been having, people who do completely let the dream consume them.

All things considered, QT made a real mortgage-paying career of it which is basically the upper echelon of what's possible if you look at the grand scheme.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

for every john cena you have 20 enhancement talents whose job is to be beaten up by john cena or maybe goldberg if its wcw

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

My at-the-time 7 year old went with me to the first Toronto shows and because QT was all over the Dark shows, my kid immediately took to hating the dude. Started "QT Sucks" chants whenever a member of the factory was out, which was extremely exciting for a kid who doesn't really swear (the rear end Boys being another real fun thing for him, and saying "Cowboy Beep" instead of poo poo). He even made a QT sucks poster for the PPV the next year but QT didn't really show up.

QT Marshall: good at making children hate him for being lame and boring.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I'm always baffled at how many wrestlers are bad actors because, like, wrestling is at least 50% acting. Especially in America! Other than Benoit who later became more famous for his *other work*, pretty much every single super popular American wrestler was either bad or meh in the ring, and really became famous due to the character they played rather than their athletic ability.

Also the Rock's fundamental flaw as an actor is that what he's trying to be no longer exists. The movie star is a thing of yesteryear, it no longer exists in any recognizable form.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I'm always baffled at how many wrestlers are bad actors because, like, wrestling is at least 50% acting. Especially in America! Other than Benoit who later became more famous for his *other work*, pretty much every single super popular American wrestler was either bad or meh in the ring, and really became famous due to the character they played rather than their athletic ability.

It’s the same reason that stage actors don’t always transition to the screen well. The mannerisms that work for a live audience in stadium seating, with maybe a camera yards away, are exaggerated and over the top and unrealistic, but are so in a way that the message in the mannerisms is clear even to the people in the cheap seats. The ability to be good at that sort of acting is really unconnected to the smaller, much more subtle mannerism control you need to be a good actor for a close in face shot or a one-on-one scene.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Also the Rock's fundamental flaw as an actor is that what he's trying to be no longer exists. The movie star is a thing of yesteryear, it no longer exists in any recognizable form.

people like Paul Heyman exist because a lot of wrestlers can't act for poo poo and need someone else to do their promos but this is mostly a wwe problem these days I feel like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The really sad part about QT is that he's basically Eddie Kingston without any charisma. He's just a guy.

But also, he's been on TV a lot and made a decent chunk of change in the business. He'll never be a star, but he's a success by any reasonable metric.