Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
didn't it not happen because of covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
in wrestling they say real poo poo for fake reasons, until it's time to have fake fights for real reasons

it's like Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

e: man should I explain that?
eeeeeeeeeeeehhhh

I'll explain that if anyone asks me to. otherwise it can just be some stupid poo poo I said. this way everybody wins 👍

Cubone fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 7, 2022

Cubone
May 26, 2011

this happened right before the "mystery partner" was revealed in a 3 on 3 tag match

right after this gif ends, bray points at the fan being dragged away and can be heard on the live airing laughing and saying "is that your guy?"

Cubone
May 26, 2011

one of my favorite parts of Rusev Day was John Cena randomly putting it over

I can’t remember the context but he said “You’re really gonna do this to me? On Rusev Day? :mad:

which popped the crowd and I’m betting was unscripted and Vince probably didn’t like it, but at this point Cena is worth more to the WWE than they are to him

Cubone
May 26, 2011

tombstone piledriver

Cubone
May 26, 2011

I'm pretty sure he got the Mr. rear end gimmick because Road Dogg got mad one time and said "you do not call him billy, you will address me as Mr. Dogg and you will address him as Mr. rear end" and the next week the crowd was full of "Mr. rear end" signs

Cubone
May 26, 2011

dangerstepp posted:

And don't forget to mention the time he killed Miss Elizabeth.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

it's kinda cool that wrestlemania 10, 20, and 30 all ended with a popular, accomplished technical wrestler that was small (by wrestling standards) and wwe didn't seem to like winning the big belt in the main event

there's also weird little parallels, like how bret and bryan both also wrestled a match earlier in the night, 20 and 30 both ended in a triple threat with triple h and/or triple h's friends, and bryan and benoit won with almost the exact same move (lebell lock/crossface crippler... brownie points if anyone can even explain what the difference is)
also... now that I've typed that, I'm realizing each of them had a name that started with a B. but sure tell me Wrasslor the God of wrestling isn't real, athetits

Cubone
May 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Wp-8QLES0

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Lance Storm got to fire the first shot of the invasion angle, and I was never a WCW guy so I didn't know that he wasn't really a huge deal over there (if I'm not mistaken), and,
I thought he was so loving awesome. I immediately went and made a Lance Storm create-a-wrestler in WWF No Mercy and I was mad because they didn't have his pants
and then I just... never saw him again. like dust in the wind :shrug:

also, nth-ing the sentiment that Raw Report is blessed and good, thank you Eclipse12

Cubone
May 26, 2011

gbs but from 2004 posted:

where did road dogg end up after the attitude era? Did he stay at WWE and only just get fired or something?

yes

e: well he went to TNA and the indies for a while, but then he was a backstage guy at WWE and last I heard he's fired
I remember because sometimes somebody would ask "who the gently caress booked this match?" and somebody else would respond "oh you didn't know?" lol
and then earlier this year wwe fired all of triple h's friends

e2: I should probably read the thread before responding

Cubone fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 20, 2022

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Trollologist posted:

Can someone explain for to me how Scott Steiner went from "strong man" to "chainmail clad manic ranting about numbers who appears to be the living embodiment of human growth hormone"?
no one can explain that, no

Cubone
May 26, 2011

jesus christ who gives a poo poo

Cubone
May 26, 2011

more effortposts, less slapfighting about whose wrestling opinions are the most like lame tacos

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what was the name of the guy who spit apples at people. He was fun

carlito caribbean cool

shadow puppet of a posted:

Then shut up and name some other wrestlers so I can tacoize them.

carlito caribbean cool

Cubone
May 26, 2011

wow, not going to wrestling shows because jim cornette might be christian is like if you went to taco bell and john cena was a lovely taco

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

HAVE A NICE DAY!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

having a cable show isn't a small thing

according to Paul Heyman, losing that was a big factor in ECW going under

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO1oFYqatks

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

I think I'm just as bad because I'm having a hard time not wading in with "AKCHUALLY..." and drawing things out.

I've delete so many of my own bad posts. lol.
I commend your restraint

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Prof. Crocodile posted:

So from what gather from this thread, pro werestling is now in its post-modern period, where there is no longer any pretense of substance or deeper meaning and everything is either hollow consumer mass-marketing (WWF) or a cheeky send-up of the conventions of the genre (AEW).

And so the population of potential pro wrestling consumers is split into 4 groups: a tiny number of super wealthy patrons who have very specific ideas about what wrestling should be; a small number of people who "get" wrestling and devote a lot of time, effort, and money to it; a medium-sized number of people who used to enjoy wrestling but are unhappy (or downright bitter) about what it has now become; and a very large number of people who don't give a gently caress about wrestling because it doesn't speak to them at all.
depends what you mean by "pretense of substance or deeper meaning", I think

the problems with the respective companies (or at least how they're framed) are more or less as you say, but neither company is guilty of their respective shortcomings in absolute

your wording, forgive me, makes it sound almost nihilistically cynical, and I wouldn't go that far at all. there are still tons of people in the business who are passionate about this unique form of storytelling and put their hearts and minds and bodies into making it great, and there's still plenty of compelling stories being told
we're geeks on the internet, and geeks on the internet are always going to tend towards tribalism and hyperbole as they frame their pet fascinations in terms that suit their personal preferences, and goons in specific have a particular love of iconoclasm

MJF cut a promo a short while ago about... well, I'm not going to be able to do it justice, but it would be insane to me for someone to suggest that this is somehow guilty of not taking itself seriously
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAf6epYTUAM
this is a man telling a story of when he was a defenseless child, and his hero walked away

if you're into video essays, this one by Super Eyepatch Wolf is a pretty good run through of the positives of current day wrestling as entertainment and it uses plenty of recent examples to illustrate

Cubone
May 26, 2011

shadow puppet of a posted:

And my personal fave el gigante.
oh you

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Tazz's son looks like a cartoon character from like a really bitching anime about kickboxing or smething

Cubone
May 26, 2011

lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

having a grouchy but harmless hater-in-residence is a sign of a healthy ecosystem. the forums are healing

Cubone
May 26, 2011

lmfao

Cubone
May 26, 2011

I miss ryback

it was such a great part of wrestling to have this weird giant baby-shaped muscleman hanging around, lifting weights and demanding to be fed

he had such a weird voice and face and head shape and he called himself "da BIG guyyy :madmax:"

I love him

me on the left

Cubone
May 26, 2011

late, but I'm watching AEW Revolution

and I know it makes me a huge mark but I actually stood up and got chills when william regal walked out to broker peace between mox and danielson

loving perfect

despite it being really close and kind of anyone's game and just happening to tip one way (which is a great way to book it when it's part of an angle to set up a team) they still had me sold on the "not over yet" vibe n the immediate aftermath
and regal legit mentored both of them, but I somehow didn't see it coming at all
great stuff

Cubone
May 26, 2011

I'm gonna do it... I'm gonna post the leg break :twisted:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

the crowd response to sufferin succotash was great

it was like "woo- ...oo? :confused:"

because Roman did... like, I guess as good of a job as anybody could be expected to?
it really seems like he's about to say something cool, and then it takes a second to sink in, and then they chant for him anyway and he looks as surprised as anyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRFWb4Ia3r0&t=110s

the promo as written is just SO bad

quote:

Brother? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt. Yeah, yeah- nah, I'm not sorry. But look at you, you're just so full of yourself now. Actually, you're full of something else. You are a sniveling little suck-up sell-out full of suffering succotash, son! Yeah, I know, that was not easy to say. My brother here, my so-called brother here, he's got donkey dung for brains. What I'm trying to say is, I'm gonna kick your rear end.
:negative:

imagine anybody trying to get this over
imagine Sir Lawrence Olivier trying to get this over

I mean, The Rock could do it, but

Cubone
May 26, 2011

tbh I don't understand how the World Wildlife Fund had a leg to stand on

to me that's like Monster.com and Monster Energy Drink suing each other
like... they're not in the same business. no one was confused about this

Cubone
May 26, 2011

worked shoot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye8TGJmBlA0&t=138s

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

There was a negotiated agreement between the two in 1994 where World Wrestling Federation agreed (among other things) to not use "WWF" in broadcasts.

The 2000 lawsuit leading to the name change was after Vince decided to ignore that and was about whether the 1994 agreement was enforceable, not a from-first-principles trademark dispute

:tipshat:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

TheSwizzler posted:

If John Cena comes to the ring to Wig Wam on his next appearance I predict that might result in history's biggest crowd pop

I would mark the gently caress out

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Prof. Crocodile posted:

John Cena had also said that he hates Serbia. Because he is Albanian.

he never said that

Cubone
May 26, 2011

re: hhh

he's an unscrupulous politicker and a big doofy chode, but he loved wrestling and took it very seriously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4DWg8OHSo0&t=27s

is it a good thing to take your profession so seriously that you think it doesn't count unless you're annihilating your own body? 🤔
probably not
but you could never say that he didn't put everything he had into it. (like... how was this guy friends with kevin nash?)

it's easy to forget because he's wanted so badly to be that guy for so long that he habitually fought to put himself above where he should be, and he succeeded way too often, and frankly it's hilarious that he never got that "thank you hunter" chant
but circa 2001, he really was among the best in the world. if you go back and watch the three stages of hell match with austin (warning: it's an hour), he was about or almost as good as he said he was, and that's a pretty high bar

Cubone
May 26, 2011

TheSwizzler posted:

A wrestlenerd classic link here. A series of quotes without context from the Observer Newsletter regarding WCW:

http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=next_topic;f=7;t=000453;go=newer

quote:

"A Sting mannequin sped down from the ceiling. When they went to beat the doll up, it was a real life human they dragged to the ropes that pretended to be the doll. As Hogan made fun of the dummy, the dummy unmasked, revealing real Sting, and unable to unhook himself while beating up the NWO (he) looked ridiculous" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 15, 1997
lmao

Cubone
May 26, 2011

wee-man body slamming sami zayn was the equivalent or better of hulk hogan body slamming andre the giant, an essay

Cubone
May 26, 2011

whoever said cody is dedicated to being total white meat babyface, yeesh you weren't kidding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_gsyVqO-yk

well gosh, on one hand I always try my best and don't have a bad word to say about anything, but on the other hand I work really hard and love my family :buddy:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Szyznyk posted:

I only know Patrice O’Neil, and that’s because he bombed terribly and joked about it on Opie and Anthony.
the best part of that story was that stephanie thought he wasn't upset enough about being fired so she kept calling him to remind him that he's fired

he said she fired him like 6 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

re: the comics industry
would love to effortpost about this at length if I could (recovering from eye surgery)
but basically DC and Marvel only look like they're doing well if you compare them to themselves and each other (and even so, DC has taken to obfuscating its unit sales)

we actually have a pretty good picture of what the comic book industry would look like if it hadn't chained itself to a shrinking and aging core demographic
because unit sales in graphics publishing overall were actually up 68% last year from 2020, which was up 17% from 2019 in spite of the pandemic, and that was up 32% from 2018. growth in calculated retail value was even steeper

but it wasn't spider-man and batman
it was stuff like this:

these are the biggest selling titles from the two biggest comic publishers in the united states in 2021: Scholastic, and Viz Media. (yeah)

children's and YA (young adult) graphic novels are absolutely massive right now
you know how people used to say comics are for kids? well, kids never stopped liking comics, even when the people writing superman stopped liking them back
children's and YA graphic novels saw unprecedented growth roughly beginning when Scholastic started republishing Bone in the mid-2000's, then an absolute explosion when Raina Telgemeier showed up, and then... they kinda just never stopped exploding
see Marvel and DC had basically willfully ignored the gigantic non-core segment of their audience for so long that it created a vacuum in the market that big name publishers like Scholastic and Simon & Schuster gladly stepped up to fill in as soon as they realized it was there. and it's still being filling in

if anybody's interested in reading further, I recommend this analysis of last year's Bookscan
but I think this is the most relevant bit:

quote:

Depending on your exact definitions of intended audiences, it appears that seventeen of the Top 20 is intended for children or middle readers. Four of the Top 20 are Manga, and if you are looking for a “Marvel / DC-style” comic, you are not even in the top hundred-and-fifty! In fact, the first DC comic to appear is at #164 with the middle reader aimed Teen Titans: Beast Boy (with Teen Titans: Beast Boy Loves Raven coming in at #200, and former best-selling Watchmen not showing up until #250) As for Marvel? Their very first appearance isn’t until (gulp) alllll the way down at #892 with Infinity Gauntlet – this means that Scholastic’s Miles Morales: Shock Waves radically outperforms any published-by-Marvel comic, coming in at #202 (We’ll talk more about this below)

Not a single book in the Top 20 sells less than 150k copies (it was 132k in 2020, and not even 100k in 2019), and the combined circulation of the Top 20 is over 6.1 million copies – nearly 8.5% of the unit sales of all 47k different graphic novels sold by BookScan reporters in 2021 were from just 20 books.

there's also a pretty good Forbes piece from a few years ago covering the market shift: https://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalkowitz/2019/01/18/as-comics-direct-market-struggles-a-surprising-publisher-rises/

quote:

Lots of factors account for the decline, including the lack of many true blockbuster hits last year; the self-defeating tactics of large publishers to extract maximum revenue out of a small and unrepresentative group of hardcore collectors; falling costs of digital back issues via subscription services and sales, making it less necessary for readers to follow every series in real time; and general headwinds facing many small, urban-based businesses, such as rising rents and labor costs, which put a pinch on their ability to order extra copies. In the comic book direct market, orders from the distributor are usually non-returnable, which puts huge pressure on retailers to not over-order titles that might not be salable (prices for recent back issues of most comics are near zero), but not under-order on titles that might end up being sleeper hits. Even small miscalculations can be the difference between a good month and catastrophe.

According to the industry site ICv2 (disclosure: I am a contributor), "Comic stores are getting hammered from two directions. First, sales of the graphic novel categories that comic stores are best at are shrinking across channels. Neither Marvel nor DC have been putting out comics that are capturing the public imagination for the past couple of years. Collecting them into graphic novels isn’t making the content any more appealing. As a result, sales of superhero graphic novels are plummeting."

Milton Griepp, ICv2 publisher and a longtime industry analyst, further adds that comic stores, which draw most of their customers from adult superhero fans, are missing out on the biggest trend in comics over the last few years: graphic novels for kids, teens and young readers. Griepp observes that Dav Pilkey's kid-oriented Dog Man series has sold over half a million copies in the book channel in a single month last year. But most comic shop owners - unless they have young kids themselves - have never heard of it, or don't consider it "comics" in ways that would appeal to their existing customers.