Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

A Z-pack is a prepackaged five-day course of the antibiotic Azithromycin, lazy doctors like to throw one at every thing that looks like an infection whether there's a better treatment or not, and yes, it can give you the shits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Bad times don't last, but bad guys do. Godspeed you bastard, and be the greatest heel in God's own wrestling company.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Jim Ross is still calling wrestling matches, but he's a shadow of his former self. Honestly, the announce team was kind of worthless in general. I think we could have safely muted the show.

Go watch an episode of AEW Dark on Youtube. Excalibur and Taz on commentary is loving magical.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Reposting my request for an effort post on Cody Rhodes in AEW (in case that was forgotten).

There's not a lot to tell. Cody talked a good line of poo poo about not being the other company, had maybe the match that got everyone onboard with AEW. Did a lot to push new guys. Tony took booking away from him, his own story kind of spun off in its own universe, then he walked away apparently when contract negotiation wouldn't give him booking back. All principals say there's no hard feelings, but there's a whole lot of silence on his leaving otherwise. The AEW locker room isn't chatty about internal dealings.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

You can say a lot about AEW's early talent, but pretty much all of the veteran talent initially signed bent over backwards to give the younger talent a chance to shine.

(There's a lot of things I could say about Cody returning to the WWE, but the cynic says the good reception is purely Vince counting coup and somewhere in the back someone is oiling up the old Stardust ring gear and waiting for the go-ahead from the boss to ambush Cody with it.)

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Trollologist posted:

He'll get tired of AEW, want his WrestleMania main event and Hunter will give it to him

You see, the problem I have with your prediction is the fact that you consider Wrestlemania the current greatest wrestling PPV to exist, instead of the embarrassing sad sack show its been for a while now.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 6, 2022

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Nick Khan is already stripping assets and preparing the WWE for sale as we speak. When Vince dies, the company will be sold to whoever values their media library the most, and parceled out in chunks thereafter to whoever wants one of the remaining pieces. Someone will wind up with TV rights and trademarks, and what happens after that will depend on the buyer - two reasonable buyers are Fox Network and Disney; if it's Fox, expect the pendulum to suddenly swing back to the "sports" side of "sports entertainment", if Disney, expect the PG era to return with a vengeance thanks to all the merch sales to preteens Disney expects to make off the deal.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

"Its me, America! It's been me all along!"

(Bernie: "Son of a bitch." )

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Terry Funk pointed out in his autobiography that late-90's through at least Owen Hart's death, he noticed WWE safety standards were subpar at best.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Cubone posted:

[nick khan adds another stone to his infinity gauntlet)

Tony Khan holds up his own Infinity Gauntlet, filled with all six gems. "And I... am All Elite!" And he snaps-

Brock Lesnar tumbles out of the sky and rolls to a halt in a mass of wreckage. Roman Reigns collapses into dust, while John Cena grapples with CM Punk, saying "I don't want to go, I don't want to go..." ...yet it is inevitable, the end.

Vince McMahon looks around at the chaos in confusion - until he stumbles, and sits. A look of peace finally crosses his war-torn face, as the wind sweeps the ashes away.

(Tony Khan is insensate, dying. Kenny Omega tenderly runs his hands through Tony's hair, smiling through the tears. "It's okay, Tony. You can rest." )

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Gotta be a work. Let alone the sheer stupidity of taking your ball and going home on the eve of a fight fans are specifically tuning in to see, but getting the reputation of being an unreliable guy who will poo poo on months of storytelling leaving you in the lurch isn't going to endear him to McMahon, either.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Having a lot of top people out on injuries shouldn't be a problem, because the roster is already packed with people who could be stars with a little push. Tony has a problem, though, with pushing talent that's not one of his favorites.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Cody for WWE VP of Creative.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I do love that after 40+ years I still can't quite place Vince McMahon

like, occasionally you'll get someone talking openly about Vince sitting them down and going over complex wrestling psychology and concepts, or insisting that they put their hands up on a chairshot for their own safety, and it's very obvious that he's a guy playing a character on television and doesn't actually run around firing people backstage

but then you'll get a story about how you have to show an entire pack of oreos who's boss, or him being pissed off all day because he sneezed in a meeting, and it's all up in the air again

Vince is like a lot of billionaires, too estranged from the hoi pollei for peer pressure to take care of his various weird and bad habits.

And as far as wrestling, there was a time Vince knew wrestling perfectly and intimately. His weird wrestling poo poo only showed up when he had no competition to compare himself to - early 90s gimmick crap before WCW, and everything after WCW folded. But he still had enough flexibility in the 90s to be able to say WCW was kicking his rear end and he needed to change. The love of weird gimmicky poo poo never changed - but his flexibility slowly went away over the years, until today where nothing is left but a hollow petty tyrant who thinks he's still got it - a precarious throne to sit upon, as recent events have proven.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

You'd think someone could teach these guys to nod and smile and say polite nonsense and pocket their nice fat paycheck with no trouble.

But then again, there's always the type that can't live without drama in their lives.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

For a guy paid a lot of money to injure and cripple himself on a regular basis, Foley is a decent author.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Meanwhile, half the internet is screaming that Punk is an angel who did no wrong, and these awful terrible no-good Elite ambushed him in his locker room because they were mad he was taking their private playground away from them, and just, ugh.

And yeah, maybe going to confront the guy immediately after the scrum when tempers were still hot was a bad call, they should have given it twelve hours for poo poo to cool a bit. But christ, did you see the scrum? He trashed the talent, he trashed the company, he trashed TK himself to his face. If I had been in TK's shoes, I wouldn't have managed to keep my cool and would have reprimanded him live on the spot, in front of God and the whole world.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

MakaVillian posted:

People on Twitter are using Jericho's lovely MAGA wife and Punk being pro-choice etc as proof he couldn't have possibly have done anything wrong

Jericho wasn't even scheduled for the scrum, but when poo poo went sideways in the locker room he stepped up and gave a good, clean, professional interview with the press with no prep time. As appalling as some of his private beliefs are, he's still the kind of guy you can build a promotion around. He and Mox have really proven their worth these past few months.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Nothing will ever top Sting in the rafters, holding a goddamn vulture, giving Hogan a death glare. That's the defining Sting moment forever in my head.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Not only that but now he's doing crazy poo poo in AEW like balcony dives and putting people through tables

AEW has been good to a lot of the old guys. Sting is slower with age, but still on top of his game. Jericho has noticeably lost a lot of flab. Dustin is putting on some of the best matches of his career, the rare times he does take the ring.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 20, 2022

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I wouldn't ring the death knell for AEW yet, but between some ill-received booking, injuries, and the CM Punk fiasco, Tony is certainly having a rough year.

Also, some in this thread are doom-and-gloomers predicting the death of televised wrestling period and firmly convinced WWE is the only company that can survive and that only by inertia and a huge tape library.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 5, 2022

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

I mean, it's likely going to be a case of the new owners bringing their people in.

I know WWE is in vastly better shape, but I can't help but be reminded when WCW was bought by AOL Time Warner.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

"It's me, WWE! It's been me all along!"

JR: "Son of a bitch."

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Eddie Kingston is the gift that just keeps on giving.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Gavok posted:

With Vince with the pen again, Cody's chances of getting through the Brock feud with momentum are iffy at best.

Somewhere in the back, Vince has a lackey polishing up that Stardust costume. It was, after all, only a matter of time...

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the muppets guest hosted an episode of raw

But enough about the announcers.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

One of the best parts of this match was Jim Ross, Good Ol' JR, starting the match quite obviously reading from a script, tired and old and putting in the motions to collect a paycheck... and as the match goes on, JR comes alive again, getting excited, getting invested, until at the end he was the JR of twenty years ago, the kind of announcer to shout with all his might to stop the damned match.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

That's the other thing about Vince, he likes stupid gimmicks, he thinks they're funny and entertaining. He's a carny showing off his favorite collection of sideshow freaks. But you can't tell him most people don't, he's too far up his own rear end to comprehend it.

Vince 100% believed in and stood behind the Gobbledy Gooker as something that people would like.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 31, 2023

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

He was a good bad guy, especially in knowing that the bad guy's job in a story is to lose to the good guy.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Cody at least has the good grace to take his mockery in stride. Punk, OTOH, if he read this thread he would be trying to fistfight the anthropomorphic personification of SA, and unfortunately for him, lowtax has already tapped out.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

It was insane that Tony kept punk around after the scrum and fight with the elite, but I guess I get giving him another chance as like a hey maybe he can do better but punk has always been incredibly petty so

Edit: gently caress saw the post above mine I'm hosed

TBF, the Bucks aren't exactly angels themselves, and you don't abuse your executive VP position to confront a colleague you're professionally disagreeing with in the middle of the night when tempers are still hot. There's plenty of blame to be spread around that night. Also, what transpired that night is literally a matter of he said-she said, as it wasn't caught on camera.

My takeaway from this latest incident is, it's all on glorious 4k video footage, if anyone has any questions they can refer to that. That's probably why they're using the term "for cause," because that particular language when it comes down to contract employees is loaded with meaning that can and will win the released party a bucket of money if your proof is not impeccable before a civil jury when the inevitable lawsuit happens. That they're saying that is basically daring CM Punk to sue for breach of contract, they got all they need to nail his flayed hide to the courtroom walls.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Regrettable posted:

Lol, they brought the head of the legal department with them and earlier that night Punk said that if anyone wanted to talk to him his door was open. His door was locked. And his side was caught lying multiple times about the incident. But they're no angels.

Yeah, because initiating a high level conduct investigation and/or disciplinary hearing in the middle of the night is totally professional conduct from company executives.

Either way, at this point who cares. Phil got his second chance and pissed it away inside of two months. Good loving riddance.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

I have learned way more about CM Punk’s rear end tonight than I thought I ever would in my lifetime.

His rear end in a top hat, otoh, he shows off to everyone.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Let me add that, in a 100% class act, while bullshit was going down in the back, Chris Jericho filled the Bucks place in the scrum and gave a clean, professional interview with exactly zero preparation or forewarning.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Bum the Sad posted:

Is the gist that he got big and is now some Hogan-esque rear end in a top hat titty baby who demands he has complete control over every match he's in and what his opponents can say?

Not even that he demands total control of everything, that's a very Hogan thing. Phil just has a giant chip on his shoulder, one that's easy to knock off with a careless comment, something that's only grown worse as time has passed.

We cheered to see it when he was the underdog punching up at Vince and Hunter and WWE. But when he came into AEW and stood on the top himself, it didn't take long for him to start punching down at the guys below him.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

terry funk was even older than that

"I will be there, like I said, in the Coliseum! Not because I love you, Maximus, but because I hate Commodus! Not because I love Rome, or the people of Rome, but because I hate Commodus with a passion! What I am going to do is, I am going to give Commodus an extreme makeover! I am going to give him a two-fisted makeover! I知 going to lower his eyes! I知 going to widen his nose! I知 gonna fatten his lips, and I知 gonna realign his teeth! And then I知 gonna pull every hair out of his head! I知 gonna put my foot so far up his rear end in a top hat, he値l have to go the valetudinaria to get it out!"

-Terrius Funkus, AD 42.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

terry funk has wrestled throughout the centuries under different names one of those names was Abraham Lincoln

His whole stable was something else. Burnin' Sherman really lit a fire in the crowd in his famous Savannah match.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Blast Hardcheese could retire to his farm and grow corn and be happy until the end of his days, so it's not like it would break his heart for Vince not to give him millions of dollars. It's just nice to fleece the old man while the taking is still good.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Fite+ is $7.99/mo.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

pro wrestling should steal more stuff from tokusatsu and sentai

THE NAME'S RECOOME
AND IT SPELLS YOUR DOOM
AND YOU'RE GONNA BE HURTIN'
ALL TOO SOON!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

mannerup posted:

you can thank DDP for keeping Jake "The Snake" Roberts alive

It's pretty common amongst the wrestling community to believe DDP is a living saint for what he did for Jake and Scott Hall.