Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Schweinhund posted:

Actually the answer is "who cares".
gently caress you that was an awesome post.

Ever since he dumped Chyna, HHH's been a pure company stooge to me. Watching him get the keys to the kingdom yanked from him in such a way is... well it's almost It Was Me,Austin levels of :aaaaa:

Part of me does wonder what WWE would be like with Levesque at the helm. It's seemed strangely generic for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Shane was born in 1970 so our memories of him being the Greenwich badboy cast him in his late 20s.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cubone posted:

didn't it not happen because of covid
Yeah it was like on the cusp of launching and then Rona killed it in its crib lol

Between that and Linda eating poo poo at the polls, it was a banner year for the MacMaHon family

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Man, imagine if HHH was pissed enough to jump to AEW and the NXT became some shitass D-GenerationXT thing.

Last time someone was this much of a boy scout we got John Cena.a.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Scummy is Hulk Hogan sabotaging Jessie Ventura's attempt to unionize the stable.

hosed up is anything doing with Ultimate Warrior and Steph McMahon.

Infidel Castro posted:

AEW is the good kind of dumb.
I did not know I needed Apostle Zangief in my life but holy drat gently caress that was an awesome cheesy promo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
KANE SET FIRE TO HIS HOME AND WAS DISFIGURED IN THE FIRE AND HE BURNED HIS VOCAL CHORDS OUT!

(Kane gets the Voice Box gimmick)

WHOAH THIS DUDE SOUNDS HARDCORE

//
drat a Hulu Show that's basically the McMahons interspersed with some past scenes and B-plot would be fun.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I can't take Lesner seriously with that dick tattooed on his chest.

Also lol that McMahon brings him back so often considering he told them all to gently caress off for MMA money or Football or whatever.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GolfHole posted:

i like to read about wrestling as if it's dispatches from the war

"Dearest Sunny,

I am dispatched in search of a dreaded thing, this "steak wrap". I have only my poor humours to blame for this calamity, as my body failed to prevent a most demure sneeze..."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Pretty sure that Saudi fail-round was what prompted Taker to step down. :(

Xotl posted:

So out of the 64 worst things in a long line of worst things twitter contest, what was the worstest (with some context, because I stopped following this stuff in the late 80s).
D'Lo Brown vs Droz- D'Lo messed up a running powerbomb and crunched Droz' spine, leaving him paralyzed from the neck down (regained some movement in the chest and arms after a long period of therapy).

Owen Hart - had a 99 gimmick as The Blue Blazer (some super eagle or something iono). During a PPV event, Owen was supposed to descend from the rafters to interrupt a match, but his harness failed and he dropped 70ft onto a turnbuckle. Dude died.

Mass Transit - Paul Heyman's ECW days were full of crazy, but this is the time he almost killed a kid. 17 year old lied to be part of a match and was set up against a dude that was infamous for going off the script. Kid gets bladed extra deep, passes out from blood loss, and ends up needing stitches.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think The Fiend was bullshit but Wyatt did have presence and his weird cult promos were decent.

Let's see which broken-body the pull out of retirement this time. What's... uhhhh.... All Snow doing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I guess Wyatt was from NXT and part of the HHH cleanse.

That or he was getting big enough to start influencing the creative direction lol

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tell that to QuadGOAT Vince Mechaman

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Legend says Buff Bagwell is still bitter over getting like 1 fight on WWE and then being let go.

Also I am all in for Gavok's Wrestlehouse Storytime

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Was that after they got Kurt Angle, who turned out to be a loving machine in the ring with his weird thumb-man charisma? Because lightning did not strike twice.

I did like Henry as part of a tag-team. Having big unflappable dudes in the roster keeps things interesting.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
At Vince's funeral, a young beefy redhead with godly locks will proclaim that he is the Long Lost CloneSon of Vince and a struggle for primacy will ensue.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
By all accounts, Taker was the guy that would stick up for employees being mistreated and would occasionally tell Vince he was loving poo poo up.

Dude might be a Guns and Ammo conservative in real life but as a workmate he seemed to be legit.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Pretty lovely thing to say tbh
Look at Woke Hogan over here guys.

Lol they think wrestling fans are real.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hearing JR is comforting and nostalgic.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Honestly, it's only fair, since without this kind of soft magic, the Undertaker would be the only one with any powers.
What about Kane and (snicker...) Gangrel.

Was Midian supposed to be supernatural or just weird looking like Golddust?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I had one of those PSX wrestlemans and I'll never forget the voice going "The BIZZARE ONE" and "Rocky Maiavilla"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Al snow was Weird Val Venis to me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I did hear fun things about Chikara but then it apparently exploded with #MeToo.

Also, the Scooby-Doo WWE crossovers are lol
What's amazing is that Rusev has a pretty good presence in the Monster Truck one.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Infidel Castro posted:

Not to mention Nyla Rose...
Where has this beefy beauty been all our lives. :swoon:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Animal-Mother posted:

JBL claimed to be a wrestling god, but not necessarily the wrestling god.
Me finding out that Bradshaw reworked their gimmick and became faux-GWBush superstar JBL. :psyboom:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

gbs but from 2004 posted:

Dang these effort posts are great write ups, thanks. Just put these on the new sa front page as a series of articles

:hmmyes:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Was it Monday Night RAW where the WCW announcer was like "Well I guess Mankind is the WWF champ now lol" and then Turner Broadcasting heard the sound of 65% of their audience hit the PREVIOUS button on their remotes to see it?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Last Call posted:

It's also why take red hot wrestlers and make them into just another guy or girl on the roaster.
I think this is also psychopathy based in Vince's experiences:

* Jessie Ventura advocating for a Union (re:Healthcare benefits + retirement) after getting a taste of SAG*AFTRA thanks to Predator.
* Hogan becoming a household name and getting movie opportunities
* Hogan, Nash, Hall being on WCW and transferring their WWF-Bourne popularity to a rival
* The Rock jumping ship to Hollywood asap
* Lesner dropping WWE and coming back to it like his personal piggy bank.

Vince just doesn't want any wrestler to get over the WWE branding anymore.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Vince thought that the XFL would thrive because of poo poo storylines like "The L.A. RIPPERS head cheerleader was seen coming out of the Austin GUN-SHOOTERS lockerroom!!!!!"

He also tried to launch a Monster Truck show with similar stupid.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's me, I'm the dummy that was so out of the loop with regards to WCW that I never knew the nWo was supposed to be a riff on WWF In Our House.

Having a dozen spin-off nWos and then having it full of WCW staples is sure stupid, though!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Someone can do an epic rock opera on The Hubris of Hunter Hurst Helmsley.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Watching X-Seven right now, had forgotten about Right To Censor, maybe it's not all gold :anime:
Depends if it's before RTC got The Godfather and Val Venus under their hypnorays

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TV Zombie posted:

Is it just really unlucky or real easy to blow out one’s quads sliding into a ring?
He clipped his legs on the ring edge just above the knee, if I remember correctly. Still hosed up and still an indicator of over-roiding.

Ages ago some gearhead had written about his experience in like Maxim. Was at the gym and the muscle just slid off. Went into the ER and caught sepsis, almost died, etc.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dumb idiot should have been Tigershark and never touched the tattoo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol what the gently caress did I just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaatch!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I wish I had watched more WWE when Asuka and Kairi were taking the show by storm.

I tuned in to the inaugural FOX Smackdown and saw The Rock cutting a spot with Becky Lynch and thought "Well drat, she must be pretty good"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Chyna was done dirty all through the attitude era. I *loved* watching her be this impossible towering figure that threw in with the general roster and wasn't just paraded out for arm candy. It made the D-X stable seem like more than rowdy dumbass mean boys.

I stopped watching when she got paired up with Latino Heat. Was that any good.? I got the feeling that pairing was supposed to be insulting to both characters

I like to think that society is in a slightly kinder mindset now and wonder if she'd be received differently. :(

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Vince McMahon can spin gold into poo poo.

That barb about him being a millionaire instead of a billionaire is so true.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My biggest WWE mysteries are how tf JBL was a thing and how Cena went from Wrestling Marky Mark to a legit talent.

TV Zombie posted:

He seems pretty smart about the business.
I don't think Hard Drinkin, Stunning Steve would have been believable as a manager or producer to the fans. I'd love him on color commentary but he's got Tom Waits voice.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well shiy, thanks for the history on the two wrestlers I asked about. That was enlightening!

Trollologist posted:

Ric Flair.

But also: Triple H
Triple H is the Fish Filet of wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Undertaker was, canonically, a zombie wizard. I dint think death was supposed to mean much.