Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Gavok posted:

My favorite Vince McMahon story is the current one where after 20 years of people accepting that Triple H would be taking over WWE eventually and would rule the wrestling world, Vince made him the fall guy for AEW's success and not only practically disowned him, but burned all of his pet projects to the ground out of spite. And during all of this, Triple H had a heart attack.

sorry for seriouspost but

Is this real? Who’s gonna inherit WWE now then? I thought for sure HHH was running things by now (I haven’t kept up with it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Gavok posted:

Sydney Bottocks went over a bunch of it

hell yeah these 2 posts was the poo poo I was looking for. Hhh is racist?

Schweinhund posted:

Actually the answer is "who cares".

It’s still real to me dammit! :bahgawd:

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Time_pants posted:

HHH: *To Booker T, a Black man and one of the most popular wrestlers of the late '90s and '00s* "People like you don't get to be champion."

I just watched a Raw from 1998 where DX go on the street and HHH started making fun of an Indian dudes accent and trying to take off his turban… I was never really a HHH fan anyway but dang

I also remember some event in the UK from 1998 where Vince McMahon is riling up the crowd and said in the future our prime minister will be a Pakistani and he said it like that’s the worst possible thing that could happen

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

dangerstepp posted:

Lmao wrestling has never been more dead.

Neckbeards keep it on life support.

AEW is p good

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Pimpcasso posted:

wrastling is fake

no dont

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

hell yeah this is now a seriouspost wrestling thread

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Vince McMahon has to be an actual psychopath right?

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

kntfkr posted:

All billionaires are psychopaths, not all psychopaths are billionaires.

Yeah but Vince McMahon seems like extra psychopath right

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Elephant Ambush posted:

The Undertaker is a white supremacist

And he only protected people he liked

Is that for real?

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Big Beef City posted:

I want to say that at one point a LONG time ago I seem to recall hearing that he had been when young and maybe had some racist ink, but that he later recanted all that and had that covered up? I could also be totally misremembering that or mistaking him for someone else.

i wouldn’t be surprised, I think I read he’s a trump guy right

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have a feeling a lot of wrestlers are Trump guys.

:agreed:

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Elephant Ambush posted:

Among other things, you can go find him on social media supporting every single pro-cop meme anyone posts.

at least we have mick Foley to balance it out

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Time_pants posted:

And Kevin Nash.

is Kevin nash a normal human as well or is he another disappointing homophobe / right winger / qanoner? I don’t follow him at all

I did read that Val venis is a qanoner these days lmao

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Big Beef City posted:

Val being messed in the head isn't, ah, surprising

Any particular reason for that other than him having a very rapey character in the 90s? Did those Japanese dudes really cut his dick off? That would mess with me too man

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Time_pants posted:

Kevin Nash is straight-up cool as hell. Anti-Trump, anti-conservative, pro-BLM, pro-vaccine. He's a good dude.

:hellyeah:

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

shadow puppet of a posted:

A good dude who ruined dozens of careers all for a good laugh with his circle of drug bros.

I honestly do admire him.

I mean wouldn’t we all do the same

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Also anyone that misses old wcw should really watch aew. It’s got that same glorious thousands deep well of wrestlers roster like a owning a bucket full of m.u.s.c.l.e figures and the inmates are clearly running the asylum and the backstage executive guy just wants to be in with them like bischoff so it’s also got that class-where-no-teacher-showed up energy.

And it all makes Vince furious but he won’t admit it like a pair of torn quads and has been trying to walk off aew for years

:agreed: it feels more like the “main company” than wwe to me now though, it’s actually fun

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Peggy Edson posted:

Don't watch WWE it's insanely bad. Wait til Wednesday and watch AEW. You won't feel robbed of your time.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Pretty lovely thing to say tbh

sorry but it’s true

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Big Beef City posted:

I watched AEW last night and found it entirely watchable. Probably not enough to get back into wrestling again. But overall? Pretty good.
Good matches even if they were under-mid cards.
Really enjoyed the banter between the commentators as previously mentioned.

Flipped to WWE when that was over, since it was still on.

Saw creepy Harley Quinn fan service girl talking to a sexual predator 'therapist' trying to make her give up her mini-me doll and it grossed me out too much to keep watching. (To the goon who said 'tell me why I shouldn't be in love [with this character]' loving gross is why.

Tuned back in a bit later for one of the more main events between two people I didn't recognize. Was going on for a while but they were wrestling well. So obviously the best thing that WWE could do was mute the match and do the side-by-side commercial thing while still streaming the match on one half the screen while streaming commercials on the other.

Except they streamed 8 loving commercials in a row for 7-9 minutes (I lost track it was so long). They just kept going while the match obviously stalled, and stalled, and STALLED on the PIP. Holy loving poo poo. Just terrible garbage. Like, I had and have no intention of keeping up with WWE and knew IN ADVANCE that this was going to be garbage. I figured it would be 'Wow this poo poo sucks lol' style garbage, not 'I'm actually offended by being shown this what in the gently caress' style stuff. Incredible.

Aew is a good mix of “serious” wrestling and dumb fun. The Halloween match where the heels dressed as ghostbusters was actually super fun to watch, you should check it out

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Time_pants posted:

I mentioned at the top of the page that was my match of the year for 2021. One of my top feel-good moments in like 30 years of being a wrestling fan.

yeah I was gonna mention you brought it up too but I couldn’t find the post for some reason but yeah agreed, it was so good

based purely on the onscreen vibe and the small amount I read about aew it seems the atmosphere / vibe for the workers is wayyyyy better and more fun sans mcmahon which is totally unsurprising

it must be refreshing to work without insanely bizarre mind games being played with your career on the line

I can’t remember where I read it but apparently if you talk to Vince McMahon while he’s hungry he just flips out

bagmonkey posted:

One touch I love is the commentary is blended between pro announcers like Excalibur, JR and Tony, and talent like Taz or Chris Jericho (he's a chud poo poo head but god drat is he the best on commentary),

also Jericho is a chud shithead?? what did he do?

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Time_pants posted:

I know he donated a pretty substantial amount of money to Republican candidates.

Rock 'n roll.

Oh what a dork

Cornwind Evil posted:

Though speaking of time periods, beyond that, Snow's biggest contribution to the business was probably being part of maybe the most ridiculously evil Saturday morning cartoon heel run of possibly all of wrestling history, which was the Big Boss Man's run in the latter half of 1999. Now THAT is a story for this thread, and if someone else doesn't tell it I will return to do so.

Yeah tell it dogg

Also even if you hate wrestling cos it’s dumb and fake:

Trollologist posted:

Also watch Vice's dark side of the ring

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Elephant Ambush posted:

Among other things he took his dumpy rock band Fozzy to the Sturgis festival during the first summer of the pandemic. Also his wife is a Q nutjob and he's still married to her.

He's a land of contrasts though because he really is one of the best overall performers ever and he's done a lot to help other wrestlers and the business in general. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I've never heard any stories about him burying people through backstage politics or any of that poo poo.

But he's stuck in the Attitude era and his promos all sound just like the ones he cut 20+ years ago. I'd feel bad for him but he's rich and takes a private plane from where he lives to any of the Florida shows sooooo...

Fozzy really are loving terrible even for modern bland rock

Bad news for him on having a brain dead right wing nut job as a wife I guess

:agreed: though a lot of his stuff seems out of place in aew, it’s dated I guess plus he’s like 50+ and has a square body and huge head which I don’t care for

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Trollologist posted:

While all these stores about how old people can't tell a good story are funny, there's something you need to know about wrestling that isn't really touched on.

Wrestling used to be an actual scam. It was fake fighting portrayed as legitimate competition. These are the days of the super old legends, guys that are so far back in history they're really only important to wrestling dorks. Guys like Lou Thesz and George Hackenschmidt. You may have heard of Bruno Sammartino, and that's getting young. So, why is this important?

A lot of wrestling tradition was for a long time (and still is in some circles) mired in this idea that the fanbase is mostly "marks" (people they are fooling) and only a minority of fans are "smarks" or, people that know it's a show. Here's Hulk Hogan calling people marks:

https://twitter.com/HulkHogan/status/125437560418865152?s=20&t=_XeoYZBzPCaWjn9id3nh0A

So, just take a second and let the :psyduck: sit in.

Yes. Everyone that has watched 1 wrestling match in the era of MMA knows this is show or play or whatever you want to call it. And also Yes, old school management still thinks that YOU believe this is real.

And this is where the disconnect lays. Old school management (Vince and his ilk), absolutely DESPISES people that are "in" on the product. And hate anyone that would "expose the business" by, like, acting like it's a promotion. If you know wrestling is a staged event, they hate you, and have convinced themselves that if they blur the line about what is or isn't wrestling, you'll get tricked and just be a mark. This shows up in a lot of weird ways over the years:

Brian Pillman using a storyline contract negotiation to get a real contract negotiation.

Daniel Bryan's insane title win

CM Punk's, well his entire career with WWE really, but the pipe bomb comes to mind.

So the next time you're wondering why Vince isn't just listening to the obvious chants from the crowd the answer is that he genuinely believes that you think these are real fights and he's fooling you.

I've been in enough wrestling writing sessions to see this up close (with Indy promoters, and small town wrestlers).

Didnt Vince McMahon finally publicly admit in the 80s (as part of some legal hearing) that it was fixed and therefore not a sport so that he could pay less taxes or something?

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

HonorableTB posted:

My fiancee heard me going nuts for Wardlow's powerbomb and she thought I was saying "power bottom" and came in to see what the gently caress I was hootin and hollerin about

kinda not wrong

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Vince McMahon is like a psychopathic space alien who’s obsessed with really big muscly white dudes

Also:

TheSwizzler posted:

Wondering what Brutus The Barber Beefcake's up to...

I loving love this

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Dang these effort posts are great write ups, thanks. Just put these on the new sa front page as a series of articles

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

what stuff has Tony Khan done to make him such a liability?

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Laid out a red carpet for whoever will become his Kevin “nailz “ wacholz

I don’t know what this means or who that is

X JAKK posted:

The Jackyl™ does not feature Bone Crunching Action.

I always hated kurrgan and I could never put my finger on why

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

FullLeatherJacket posted:

for the most part he does the same poo poo that wrestling promoters have done for decades and nobody has given a poo poo

one of his guys just came back from time off for alcohol rehab and there are a couple who are pretty juicy, but for reference vince mcmahon was actively put on trial for running a steroid ring, and when WWE fired kurt angle in 2006 as a final resort because he wouldn't go to rehab and they'd already had two top stars die on their watch, TNA immediately signed him to a contract, as well as jeff hardy who had to be legit held down for a pin once because he showed up for the main event strung out of his gourd

he also lets his wrestlers do a bunch of hardcore poo poo and bleed on television, which is now a hard no for WWE (and by all accounts vince mcmahon is aghast at women doing it), but I'm also certain at no point did he go to allie with a script that called for her to do the splits on a pile of thumbtacks, or one that said that cody rhodes should set his dumb rear end on fire out of spite for the fans booing him, that's all from them

his main weakness appears to be a trumpesque desire to search he own name on twitter and then be mad about it

a wrestler named Big Swole got "mutually" released last year, but then went on a podcast and basically implied that AEW didn't want black faces on their tv, which is kinda bullshit but as a response to that headline Khan then went on twitter and posted something to the effect of "here are a list of black wrestlers who won last week, we fired big swole because she sucked rear end, WATCH RAMPAGE TONIGHT AT 8" and while big swole definitely did suck seven kinds of rear end, that's definitely the sign of someone who isn't one mean tweet away from a PR disaster

he also does the same poo poo at fulham and roy keane is not a fan

sounds like shades of Dana white from ufc, albeit milder

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

dang Tony Khan sounds like a dork but aew is great

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

I feel like if vince mcmahon would have just banged a huge bodybuilder dude a lot of things would have been different

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

X JAKK posted:

How about what they did with Giant Silva, whose WWF career highlights are: beating Kaientai, and being in this team.

i HATED these guys and their terrible intro music. Luna is cool tho

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I find a good general of thumb is that the more of a flop any wrestler or wrestling personality was at being the head booker of a promotion or who ran their own promotion, the more they're likely to rant about how things "should be run" nowadays (and it should be noted that most of them are saying that about AEW; very few of them will rant about WWE except for the guys who burned their bridges with Vince a long time ago). Cornette, Bully/Bubba Ray, Road Dogg, guys like that who all had their heyday in the 1980s or 1990s, and who think that the way things were done then should be how they're done now, regardless of changing times and societal attitudes. They're the equivalent of once-successful comedians who nowadays whine about how "cancel culture is ruining comedy" when people don't laugh anymore at their formerly edgy jokes that made them famous like 40 years ago or whatever.

Does road dogg hate on aew then?

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Probably not as much now he's out of a job :v: But I do seem to recall he made a few cracks here and there, and to be fair he did take shots at Vince and WWE when he was in TNA. He's never needed much prompting to lick the boot of whoever's employing him.

where did road dogg end up after the attitude era? Did he stay at WWE and only just get fired or something?

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Cubone posted:

somebody would ask "who the gently caress booked this match?" and somebody else would respond "oh you didn't know?" lol
and then earlier this year wwe fired all of triple h's friends

lmao

I thought road dogg and Billy Gunn hated HHH

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Archer666 posted:

Wasn't TNA also the place where AJ Styles just went out and dropped the f-slur during a segment?

The godfather also did this, directed at William regal on an episode of WWF RAW in 1998. Super cool!

Cornwind Evil posted:

This was a step too far, and Hogan swore that he would make them pay, and go to ‘The Dark Side of Hulkamania’ to do it.

also :lmao: at The Dark Side Of Hulkamania

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Ad by Khad posted:

if someone saved my life the way DDP saved dustin's I would unironically build a shrine to that person, and be glad to do it

thats not the only person DDP saved but man that save in particular was amazing

I saw his Jake the snake documentary, what’s the deal with Dustin Rhodes and DDP?

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

dang, the effort posts in this thread :perfect: :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

check this out guys: