Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
:siren: CAST WATCH PARTY STREAMING ON TWITCH HOSTED BY MICA BURTON NOWWWW:siren: i may just gdt/tviv it

E: Sam making Mica regret hosting immediately

Tinydryad posted:

I've played some D&D but not lots. I liked the show! My husband and I laughed at the jokes, and speculated about what spells they were using. I'm looking forward to more.
Welcome! Glad you're enjoying and getting your friend off your back without a hundreds of hours commitment!

Robobot posted:

Maybe it's just because the actual character backstories and main storyline haven't kicked off yet, but my goodness everything about the main cast is amazingly generic. Maybe that's on purpose (I know they're based on a bunch of friends goofing off in a D&D game) and I'm assuming they'll be fleshed out a lot more as the series goes on. Dragon episodes weren't really doing it for me, but I did like the dinner party episode because it felt like something was starting to happen.

The dialogue is pretty good and I can tell the actors are having a good time with their characters. Really my only complaint is how "by the books" everything is, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing if the characters start to drive the story. All in all I'd say so far I've enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next episode.

Also the fights were fun, I like the animation style, I like the character designs, I like the acting, and I like most of the humor.

Trinket rules.
Trinket looking for pets outside the palace was my favorite rewatch pickup for sure. Really appreciate you sticking around to share perspective. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the next 3 :getin:

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I just want to see their horses get demolished by a flock of harpies in the distance while the group crosses the mountains.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I want to see the prestream appearance of Grog's father, Stonejaw Strongjaw.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

So, Twitch Watch Parties work on desktop machines and iPads but not AppleTV for some reason? Ugh.

I just want to watch this like a dvd commentary track.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Push El Burrito posted:

I want to see the prestream appearance of Grog's father, Stonejaw Strongjaw.

OK. That's pretty funny.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Ultimate Mango posted:

So, Twitch Watch Parties work on desktop machines and iPads but not AppleTV for some reason? Ugh.

I just want to watch this like a dvd commentary track.
I ran into the same issue and then real life intervened. Enterprising souls can keep trying or try next week if they'd like though. I'll probably multidevice/rifftrax it once it goes VOD and I have a minute

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Dameius posted:

Speaking of Keylith, I can't wait for the we're basically gods moment in... probably season 2? 3? moment.

IMO it would work best in a "filler" episode just before the finale, similar to Ember Island Players in Avatar.

That scene will have the most impact once they've fully built her up, showing how far she has come and how powerful she is.

Remember at that point, everyone else had died at least once in combat. Kiki just needed an important lesson in humility..

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

I ran into the same issue and then real life intervened. Enterprising souls can keep trying or try next week if they'd like though. I'll probably multidevice/rifftrax it once it goes VOD and I have a minute

Don't feel bad about missing it and having to pick it up on VOD. Been watching them since 2015 and I can count on a single hand the number of things they've done that I've caught live.

e:

Rougey posted:

Remember at that point, everyone else had died at least once in combat. Kiki just needed an important lesson in humility..

Really showcases her strengths of sound a calm decision making while under panic.

Also the bathtub moment will be golden.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 2, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol sam revealing that the children that get killed in e1 are his son and liam's daughter

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
"It's funny because Liam isn't usually a dramatic guy but we coached him through it."

Watching Matt losing his poo poo at that was good.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

TV IV > Legend of Vox Machina - Every Grandparent Has Seen a Ball

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

eke out posted:

lol sam revealing that the children that get killed in e1 are his son and liam's daughter

Sam's son already had a semi-regular role in Elena of Avalor. He is going to grow up to be the worst:allears:

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Dameius posted:

Speaking of Keylith, I can't wait for the we're basically gods moment in... probably season 2? 3? moment.

It happens during the Taryon arc, which hopefully won't get too trimmed because it has crucial plot points like Keyleth finishing her story quest and VM going to Hell to permakill Hotis.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

DesertIslandHermit posted:

It happens during the Taryon arc, which hopefully won't get too trimmed because it has crucial plot points like Keyleth finishing her story quest and VM going to Hell to permakill Hotis.

It also has the shopping scene which made me laugh harder than probably any other thing in the entire campaign.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Push El Burrito posted:

It also has the shopping scene which made me laugh harder than probably any other thing in the entire campaign.

The follow-up scene to that in Episode 103 is also a riot. The shop scene was a result of the PCs rolling low. The follow-up was the result of the NPCs rolling high.

e: Watching the Twitch watch-a-long. We are in Episode 3 riiiight before Scanlan's moment of infamy.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
There it is; SAM, NO!

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

All I want at least once in this series is for him to pull out a gross song in front of a villain and confuse/infuriate them.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Dameius posted:

Really showcases her strengths of sound a calm decision making while under panic.

I picked up tabletop rollplay in the Pandemic and that lead me to here - the whole goldish sequence resonates with me so much. I've had a similar moment, and my character even had featherfall which helped me about as much as Kiki being able to turn into a bird. Sometimes you gently caress up and just have to wear it, it's funnier for it.

Dameius posted:

Also the bathtub moment will be golden.

Honestly their whole courtship was just loving hilarious ; but that was certainly the highlight.

I do worry about how it will translate, I feel like most of the fun in those those scenes were the other players losing their poo poo, or in the case of "The Experience" that Vax gave Grog towards the end, the energy of the thousands of people watching it live.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Paracaidas posted:

I'd certainly appreciate it, since I had some technical stuff that kept me from viewing the watch party, and it seems like they won't be putting the full watch party up on youtube. If nothing else, some transcripts would be great!

I can make due with a raw audio of the watchalongs as well and just manually sync that up with the episodes. I'm too broke to justify dropping money or a free prime sub on a subscription just for these watchalongs as well.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 2, 2022

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
The Q&A sections from the episodes 1-3 watch party are on YouTube through the official Critical Role channel. Topics include character concept art, redesigning Emon, the idea behind beginning the series with an over-the-top bar brawl scene, etc.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

My DM for my online D&D game found out most of the players have Prime and wants to do a watch party the hour before our game. Two (including me) watched the Vox Machina campaign to the end, one had only watched Mighty Nein, another has only see EXU and C3, the other two are absolutely new to it. Might be fun. Might be just an hour-waster. If anything goes wrong, I blame Scanlan.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

It ended up working having the watch party on an iPad with the actual synched Amazon stream and audio, and the twitch stream and audio on the TV.

And holy hell the finale bit with Sam in the live studio, and it’s special effects were awesome. It is also on YouTube.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I told a coworker last Friday about TLoVM, and he checked it out over the weekend. It's all he wanted to talk about Monday. He's planning on listening to the main campaign, so I had to give him the usual warning about a certain someone, and that the podcast is going to be very different than the show in many ways which interested him even more. He's also kind of stoked for 3-4 hour long episodes. I don't hear that much.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

The Repo Man posted:

I told a coworker last Friday about TLoVM, and he checked it out over the weekend. It's all he wanted to talk about Monday. He's planning on listening to the main campaign, so I had to give him the usual warning about a certain someone, and that the podcast is going to be very different than the show in many ways which interested him even more. He's also kind of stoked for 3-4 hour long episodes. I don't hear that much.

I was super stoked for 3-4 hour episodes when I got into it because I would listen at work. 8 hour work day meant I got 2 or 3 a day (because I listened at 1.25x-2x speed to catch up to live.) Of course, now that I am caught up it isn't as much fun to power through a bunch in a week anymore because I would just be watching repeats.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I love the long show format. It's great to have on when I am tired just relaxing on the couch or painting miniatures. I have watched a few other groups play that edit out a lot of the non-rp stuff and I can not stand it. Half of the fun of CR is the stupid non-rp poo poo.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

The Repo Man posted:

Honestly the roughest thing to get through of Campaign 1 besides That One Sorcerer is how the audio quality of the first 30 or so episodes is pretty poor and their shouting leads to mic clipping.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

The Repo Man posted:

If That Guy bothers him too much, he can go to the Critical Roll wiki. It has detailed recaps of the episodes he was in. That's what I did for the last couple of them.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Ok, I’m never gonna listen to the podcasts but I’m super curious about what you guys are talking about. Anyone wanna post a spoiler summary?

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Robobot posted:

Ok, I’m never gonna listen to the podcasts but I’m super curious about what you guys are talking about. Anyone wanna post a spoiler summary?

Basically there was a player in the home game that preceded Critical Role and was in the first 30 or so episodes of the first campaign (the one The Legend of Vox Machina is based on, though episode 3 of TLoVM takes place shortly before that player left the show and the rest of the season will be based on episodes after he already left). Apparently there weren't any major problems with him before Critical Role started (when it was just some people meeting once a month or so to play a private game), but after the weekly show started and became an unexpected hit certain aspects of his personality came into conflict with the rest of the group. He ended up leaving the show, and to this day the Critical Role Reddit thread disallows discussion about him because the cast of Critical Role wishes to drop the matter.

His character, Tiberius Stormwind, was featured in the first volume of the Vox Machina comic series, but was written out of the story at the beginning of the second volume. The Legend of Vox Machina omits the character entirely, though if you go to the show's trailer on Amazon and look under the Trivia section Tiberius is acknowledged as a character whose player parted ways with the rest of the cast.

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 3, 2022

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
A super short summary that leaves out a lot of the supporting details:

Orion Acaba played Tiberius Stormwind the dragonborn sorcerer and was a member of the original pre-stream cast. He said he grew up in the adversarial DM era of ttrpgs and so he was a heavy min/max meta gamer to the point of outright cheating dice rolls and selectively misinterpreting rules in his favor.He also suffered from main character syndrome and once things went to stream all of this came to focus. Right during the events that make up episodes 3 through maybe 4 or 5 of the show he wad kicked off the stream and his character has since been retconned out of everything because part of the leave agreement was him arguing he gets full rights and control of Tiberius which he used to create a radio drama since cancelled. He was a mess in his personal life and did a string of supremely lovely things post ejection.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Ah, ok. So they had some rear end in a top hat playing the game with them that liked to mess up the campaign until they tossed him out. Every group's got one, it seems.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Whenever Tiberius isn't on screen, the other characters should be asking "where's Tiberius?" and the answer should be that "he's attempting to buy every mirror in the city and painstakingly role-playing all of his mundane errands before he discovers his planet needs him and he has to go".

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Its a real shame because the character Tiberius in the hands of a different person would have been pretty fun to see. It wasn't really until the big bad of the first narrative arc that without hindsight the cracks started showing, at least as I remember them watching week to week. Travis (Grog) hates shopping episodes and Orion would spotlight steal by going on exceptionally long solo shopping adventures and towards the end it looked like Travis was struggling to keep composure on camera during them. Owell, what a shame.

e: completely unrelated, this whole thing started when Felicia Day asked them to bring their game on her Twitch channel and she guest starred in an episode that takes places before the show. I think it would be nice if they worked her character into the plot somewhere down the line.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 3, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
He played his character well, and was fun to watch. However, he did try to bend rules in his favor for literally everything. Much like the rest of the cast were doing with their abilities and spells, but he actually knew drat well he couldn't do this or that but tried it anyway. When things worked out, it was great to watch. He was also HIV positive and got cancer while on the series, which likely contributed to his what the gently caress moments. Anxiety and stress, and even PTSD is a huge thing with these illnesses. Generally you get offered mental help when you have these types of issues. He was in rough shape and you get to see this in the series. He went too far and they booted him. He appears to be pretty successful today still doing a lot of voice work, traveling the world, and best of all, being happy.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah it's pretty hard to watch "one guy no one likes" who is also "the guy who is constantly literally cheating"

Dameius posted:

e: completely unrelated, this whole thing started when Felicia Day asked them to bring their game on her Twitch channel and she guest starred in an episode that takes places before the show. I think it would be nice if they worked her character into the plot somewhere down the line.

she already was the military commander that got fried by brimscythe! with how voice acting works, i wouldn't be surprised if she has some other small parts

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dameius posted:

Travis (Grog) hates shopping episodes and Orion would spotlight steal by going on exceptionally long solo shopping adventures and towards the end it looked like Travis was struggling to keep composure on camera during them.

There was also the point where Orion made a decidedly untoward comment to Laura in the middle of an episode and everyone kind of stopped cold and Travis looked like he was about half a second away from seriously losing his temper.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

If you would like to read a massive essay on the subject, someone on Reddit very helpfully compiled a summary of all the poo poo that went down with Orion Acaba, including things that happened after he left CR (spoiler alert, he was also abusive to his ex-girlfriends and stole money from people who made the mistake of supporting him).

All in all, the guy was (and probably still is) a mess and the show is better off pretending he never existed. If you want a sampler platter of his bullshit, I highly recommend the four "Trial of the Take" episodes (18-21) which feature several guest characters (two of whom are actually important) and set up a subplot that I don't think the cartoon is going to actually include but it'd be neat if they did. Orion is only in episodes 20 and 21 but while he's not at his absolute worst, he's also definitely not at his best. Orion was removed following episode 27 and I know a lot of people who recommend skipping that episode entirely because it's Orion's worst showing by far and it's wildly uncomfortable to watch.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

CuwiKhons posted:

it's Orion's worst showing by far and it's wildly uncomfortable to watch.

Dameius posted:

Travis (Grog) hates shopping episodes and Orion would spotlight steal by going on exceptionally long solo shopping adventures and towards the end it looked like Travis was struggling to keep composure on camera during them.

just an excerpt of the cast's reaction to a small portion of Orion's errands that episode posted:

ORION: Can we infuse a Fog spell with a Sleep spell?

MATT: No.

ORION: Can we try super hard?

MATT: Sure. Make a roll.

ORION: God drat it. Okay.

MARISHA(Keyleth): Like, the best I could possibly do is maybe take one of these holy water things.

ORION: What am I rolling?

MATT: Plus arcana.

TRAVIS(grog): Do you think it matters? No.

ORION: 24.

MATT: 24. Okay. After spending approximately 500 gold in materials, the enchantment fails, both spells fizzled. You lost 500 gold. But now you know. Probably can’t combine two spells into a single enchantment.

LIAM(Vax): And knowing is half the battle.

ORION: Don’t worry, it came out of my pocket.

SAM(Scanlan): I’ve got fog.

ORION: Okay.

TRAVIS(Grog): How about you get nothing else, and we move on?

ORION: Last thing.

TRAVIS: No last thing.

ORION: I stop at Allura’s.

MATT: You go towards the Cloudtop District, and the guards stop you again.

ORION: I remember that as I walk up, and I go back to Greyskull Keep.

MATT: All right.

MARISHA: Oh wait, I don’t do that.

ORION: Oh wait, I don’t do that.

MARISHA: #OrionAcaba.

ORION: I realize what I’m doing, and I stop.

LIAM: Also. This will just take ten seconds, at some point in the week, when Keyleth is taking a walk, I go into her garden, and I clip one flower, and I take it.
(Spoiler, he didn't actually stop)

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 3, 2022

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
In non intracast drama news.... new episodes tonight, right??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There was also the time Orion tried to leverage his background into being grand high poobah of like an entire fleet that he thought his dad would send, thus negating the big battle everybody'd spent a long time prepping themselves for. Laura absolutely dogged him for it, too. Just the most petty spotlight stealing stuff. It was then I realized Matt was very good at keeping his irritation in check, possibly hinting at retail experience.