Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been playing a lot of R6 Extraction since it released and haven't heard much discussion about it so I figured why not make a thread about it? I really started out hating this game; the UI is confusing, the mechanics are confusing, the gadgets don't all make sense right away, the tutorial lets you leave before completing a single objective, there's X-Com style injuries that leave your operators out of commission, etc.. However after bashing our collective heads against it for a few nights my friends and I have really been enjoying the hell out of it.

While super annoying at first, losing operators really adds some weight to your decisions in a mission. You are moving through three tiers of a level separated by airlocks, and each zone has an extraction option that you can take without finishing the whole level. Weighing the pros/cons of trying this last mission with everyone already hurt and potentially losing an operator or the whole round for your team OR saying gently caress it and making a beeline to the exit adds just enough tension to the missions without being like Tarkov levels of punishing when you fail. If one of your guys goes down in a mission you have to go back and "rescue" them to save them, but since the mission structure includes 3 objectives per map it basically rolls in rescuing your dude as another objective and it's pretty seamless.

Additionally, the operators themselves aren't really "classes" and being forced to pick someone else because your main guy is out of commission has led to me finding out new operators I never would've tried before. As the guy who normally ends up being medics in these types of games because nobody else wants to or is as good as I am at it I really appreciate that the game makes *everyone* cycle around and pick different operators. Possibly the biggest realization we had though was that since nests are how the "archies" spawn during a mission, that methodically and quietly sweeping through a level and taking out all nests before starting an objective means your life will be a hell of a lot easier and adds some really fun sneaky gameplay.

This isn't a big effort post so, sorry! but I wanted to get a thread going to discuss since I don't think we have one. I just unlocked the explosives belt and carrying around 18 claymores rules and everyone should try it.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyOso
Oct 9, 2007

a more refined age
The easiest way to level any operator is to have the 'nade belt upgrade and introduce the infected ridden archies to stun grenade spam. The game doesn't do a good job of explaining that the upgrade also doubles any grenade / mine pickup which is vital on harder difficulties.

Seriously, this is a really fun game hampered by the inclusion of multiplayer; people don't seem to grasp that half the objectives boil down to sneak into area, do thing with maximum sneakiness, then sneak away and rushing will fail the objective. Once I realized that I could just solo run instead of listening to two goobers argue over their mics and rush every objective and fail, enjoyment went way up.

It would be nice to find people who aren't having a separate phone call on their headset though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

JohnnyOso posted:

Once I realized that I could just solo run instead of listening to two goobers argue over their mics and rush every objective and fail, enjoyment went way up.

Oh drat, how's this done? I didn't think you could go in solo, I always figured it'd be way easier going alone than with 2 randoms.

JohnnyOso
Oct 9, 2007

a more refined age
Instead of using Quick Play, just select one of the maps underneath the research options button. Unless you're already in a party, it assumes you want to just do it with one operator. There's actually a cutscene that gets triggered when you do this, about how Ash thinks this is a terrible idea but Thermite doesn't see an issue with solo runs.

It's absolutely the correct way to play this and helps you get research done wayyyy faster. I've 100% finished NY research and I'm 3/4 done with San Fran. I'm on something like tier 15 but I'm not moving to the next region until I finish the one I'm in.

Also, if you haven't looked at the research notes after finishing them you really should.

Objective: Kill a specific archie with a headshot
Results: "Oh, that certainly kills them faster! ...Why didn't we know this already?"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy poo poo, thank you. I'm so far behind my friends on challenges because I couldn't get a level with sludge to shoot for the longest time. I think there's a lot of things this game could do better to make people aware of how you should be tackling these levels. Obviously you can play how you want but I watched a couple streamers play this and get frustrated with it too because nobody really put together the importance of prioritizing taking out nests to cut down on the amount of spawns coming at you. It took my friends and I a couple sessions for it to really sink in how much easier it is when you're sneaky about it but you'd never know unless you stuck it through a couple real poo poo missions first without uninstalling because you lost everyone.

Speaking of which I couldn't believe how streamlined the process of getting operators back from the field was. If all 3 of us are missing a guy from the last mission, we recover one person in the next one and it counts as all of our operators. This way it's not like I have to do a mission for each of us before we can get everyone back and risk losing more along the way. Plus it's one of three objectives on a mission so it's not like the only thing you're doing is rescuing that guy. I was really pleased to see how they handled that because it means while annoying, losing a guy or two isn't really a huge deal.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Some research tasks are impossible in groups. I've been stuck on 36% of Alaska for a while now. Doing it solo helps (and you can pick difficulty as well, though I've always done native difficulty for each zone to push myself out of my comfort zone).

But yeah, some things are really poorly explained in this game. It's a pretty good game overall IMO, but I think it teaches noobs some bad habits (like you probably don't want silencers on your primary in Alaska and T&C), doesn't explain mechanics too well, etc.

JohnnyOso
Oct 9, 2007

a more refined age

Protocol7 posted:

It's a pretty good game overall IMO, but I think it teaches noobs some bad habits (like you probably don't want silencers on your primary in Alaska and T&C), doesn't explain mechanics too well, etc.

I'll bite. Why are they a bad idea in Alaska and T&C? I've not started those regions yet, and solo minus silencers have been a bad idea so far.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

JohnnyOso posted:

I'll bite. Why are they a bad idea in Alaska and T&C? I've not started those regions yet, and solo minus silencers have been a bad idea so far.

It depends on the objectives, but if you're fighting Apexes and Proteans, you're going to need the full damage. Silencers take like half of the damage off which can make or break your chances of survival if you have to go loud.

Most operators have normal pistols for secondaries and it's fine to keep those silenced.

Perhaps counterintuitively, taking the silencer off doesn't mean stealth is off the table - Archaeans might go run to investigate gunshots a bit more, but they still won't howl unless they have visual contact.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

We also haven't been to Alaska or the last one but just tried our first 3/4 difficulty mission last night and the amount of Proteans was staggering. That's a really good point about the silencers, I'll have to keep that in mind.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My luck has been bad and most of the "Eliminate Elite Targets" objectives in Alaska have you downing three Apexes and spawning a Protean. You gotta blast all those fools good :hellyeah:

JohnnyOso
Oct 9, 2007

a more refined age

Protocol7 posted:

Perhaps counterintuitively, taking the silencer off doesn't mean stealth is off the table - Archaeans might go run to investigate gunshots a bit more, but they still won't howl unless they have visual contact.

And that's another thing the game doesn't explain. I'd been doing the old MGS trick of making some noise / killing an archie to lure the others into a killzone and didn't put that together until now.

If anyone is reading this and hasn't played / is having trouble with research, here's a list of things the game doesn't do a good job explaining:

1. Stealth Kill an Enemy: This includes killing an unalerted enemy through walls and killing unalerted nests.
2. Take Down an Enemy: Stun grenades all day e'ery day. The game doesn't differentiate between stealth takedowns and stunned takedowns
3. Kill an Enemy via Weakpoint: See above. A stun usually results in the enemy not covering their weakpoint, but also sometimes turns the archie towards you . I'm not 100% on why this happens but it's dead useful

Recover an operator helpful tricks:
1. Do this solo, as you can crank the difficulty down to easy and then extract as soon as you have your dude back.
2. If solo, the tree always has three nodes. Wander the level to kill every nest / archie you find, then when you go to pull out your dude, only destroy two of the nodes. Killing all of them respawns a full set, but killing two and then shooting the pulse means you can free your dude by just tugging on them for a minute.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Paralysis grenades are also free takedowns on Smashers/Tormentors and below.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

When you're fighting Proteans and Apexs and Tormentors while Spikers swarm you then not only do you want the huge damage increase from taking off the surpressor, but you can't really play quiet if you wanted to, things get hectic, explosives start getting thrown around. Stealth is still a useful tool it's just not something you try to stick to 100% in the higher difficulties.

At least one person should have the XR drone that scans automatically, stealth is much less important if you know where everything is, at the same time it also makes stealth much easier until you do go loud. It's also great for playing with pubbies, if you scan everything towards the objective and then around it, pubbies naturally move towards your drone while clearing enemies and nests using your scan wallhacks.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 31, 2022

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Necroing this thread since I just bought the game. I decided to wait on it after watching SkillUp's negative review. The game is $15 on the Epic store right now and I felt that was a more than reasonable price.

I'm actually enjoying the game a lot, only up to the 2nd difficulty level after one night of play. I agree with some of the earlier posts in the thread regarding the game feeling much easier solo. On the first difficulty my random teams are either complete liabilities or godspeed gigagamers. My very first mission I had someone kill the capture target. A couple missions later I had someone else call for extraction then walk themselves off the extract pad, going MIA. I assume as I hit the higher difficulties I'll encounter more people that know how to play stealthily instead of chain howling their way across the entire map. Or maybe I'll find people who are good at that, too.

Hoping I can get some of my friends to try it out since being able to choose your difficulty in every map area instead of being limited to one difficulty for matchmaking adds a lot of QOL. I understand needing to limit things for matchmaking purposes, but why not just let me search for what difficulty I want to play and include all the maps I've unlocked, instead of forcing me to only play New York if I want to matchmake and get xp for my level 1 operators?

I really like the emphasis on minimizing damage, and the fact you can "lose" your operator makes it pseudo-hardcore and a bit tense when a mission is going south. I had one mission that was a huge slog since it only spawned exploders. My team managed to get sandwiched between at least ten of them so I had my work cut out for me getting them both extracted. It felt really rewarding to get them both out alive even though we didn't get to do the actual objective.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 11, 2022

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

This game really needed to do better at teaching people that it's not a "stealth game". It's ended up in a situation where people successfully playing on the lower difficulties are baffled when they see a team move through the level efficiently without silencers equipped (using some stealth when appropriate yes), and seem to become convinced that their teammates are all bad so then they go play solo where the game itself is much easier which then reinforces their belief that they are in fact playing correctly.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 11, 2022

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Right, I enjoy the bounce back and forth between stealth and loud play as well. I read some tips on reddit that suggested moving around the map perimeter, taking out hives, and using loud gunfire to bait mobs into you. Knowing that they only howl if they actually see you makes a huge difference in how you approach things.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Even on the hardest difficulties with the mutators and stuff in the special events, a howl spawn is nothing compared to an unsilenced LMG and a paralysis grenade. The people everyone complains about going loud are actually carrying their teammates who keep trying to shoot tanky enemies with silenced SMGs. They can't even hear the complaints because 150 round box magazines cause tinnitus.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 11, 2022

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Try out the LMG characters, silence your secondary but leave it off the primary. Ela, Alibi and Zofia are my faves. Their gadgets are strong enough that it doesn't matter what you take in terms of grenades and utility, you can mix it up, but paralysis grenades and XR drone are always useful.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Thanks for all the tips. Rest assured I like to play quiet but not too quiet (I never run double silencer.)

What's a good anti-protean loadout I can access early on? I took out a Smoke protean solo with Zofia since she has an LMG. Are there any operator passives/abilities that are particularly useful against them? I read that Finka has an unlisted damage boost with her Adrenaline Surge, is that true? If she can run a shotgun or an LMG I'm sure that would be a lot of damage.

How are shotguns on the higher difficulties? I enjoy being able to blow up soft walls and open new routes with them or snipe through the holes.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Diephoon posted:

Thanks for all the tips. Rest assured I like to play quiet but not too quiet (I never run double silencer.)

What's a good anti-protean loadout I can access early on? I took out a Smoke protean solo with Zofia since she has an LMG. Are there any operator passives/abilities that are particularly useful against them? I read that Finka has an unlisted damage boost with her Adrenaline Surge, is that true? If she can run a shotgun or an LMG I'm sure that would be a lot of damage.

How are shotguns on the higher difficulties? I enjoy being able to blow up soft walls and open new routes with them or snipe through the holes.

Shotguns are useful against Proteans if you get in their back while they're chasing your teammates, but they'll leave you weak against Apex who are best dealt with at a distance since they have this aura around them, and fighting Spikers gets messy. Opening walls isn't as useful as it is in R6 Siege where the mechanics come from, some of those mechanics end up feeling vestigial in this game.

Hibana can do a lot of damage to Proteans with her gadget but her guns are bad. In general if one player is kiting them and the others are unloading guns into their backs they all die quite fast, the trick is getting to the fight with enough health and utility left over, they are quite resistant to stuns, but Nitro Cells can help. Finka ability improves recoil I think, her gadget is best used as a ranged revive though, it's not as good as it is in R6 Siege.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jun 12, 2022