Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Nah, that timeline seemed to be a "everybody dies" sort of thing, this one is just Dai being an rear end in a top hat.

Also raise your bets on Dai everyone:

a)She's actually Kimiko's mother in an AI personality

b)She's actually Kimiko's dead sister ALA Megaman BN

c)She's actually Kimiko's subconcious manifested as AI

d)She's lying and messing with us :v:

I do like A, or C, or D.

There's also E: Kimiko's directing her somehow, Junko-style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Quackles posted:

There's also E: Kimiko's directing her somehow, Junko-style

Templates like that are forbidden.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Dai was only created in the last generation from what we know, so it's hard to believe that when Dai is saying "the captains" she's referring to the line of captains--which suggests there's a second person with as much authority as Kimiko. Or maybe I'm wrong and Dai's just referring to being tied to Kimiko and her mother, but that's a weird way to put it if so.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

...Maybe rejecting Yoshiki right in front of the captain, who considers him like her brother, was kiiiiind of a bad idea! :v: Let's go back and, uh, not do that this time.

[BGM: Drink Deep of the Universe]
So, what do you say? Join me as my Clyde?

I would love to! Count me in!

I'm sooooo excited!

Yoshiki, someone will die soon as a result of this game. You should behave as such.

Yoshiki reined in his enthusiasm a touch, lowering his head. I could still see him smile underneath this mask, though.

So what's the plan?

You and I will breed first, making you a vampire. The Captain will breed with either Katashi or Beatrix. And then, in the final round, one of us will breed with the captain, so she doesn't have the fewest points, ensuring that she won't lose.

Sounds pretty straightforward!

Excellent!

I must insist that you return to your quarters now, as will I.

Why?

To ensure we do not draw any unwanted attention-we cannot have the rest of the crew become suspicious of us.

That's a good idea.

See you both soon!

[BGM: With Fear: Hope]
The captain and I both left, walking side-by-side down the hallway to our respective quarters. We arrived at the captain's first.

Jordan.

Yes, captain?

You betray Yoshiki, I will kill you myself. Dai will be the least of your worries.

The captain had threatened me previously, but it had never felt more sincere than it did right now. I nodded indicating that I understood her threat. She could definitely tell by the fear in my eyes that I knew she wasn't messing around.

I had almost made it back, when Ai suddenly appeared in front of me- so sudden, in fact, that I walked right through her.

Jordan, we need to speak.

Oh, Ai, good morning.

I do not have long- meet me in the server room.

Ai zapped off, leaving me quite confused. I had never heard her sound quite so... human? She seemed worried- a side of her I hadn't really seen before. I looked at my tablet to locate the server room. I had never been there. It wasn't long before I had the location, and made my way there.

When I arrived, Ai was already standing in attention, awaiting my arrival.

I must make this quick- she is brute forcing programs and functions.

What?

Dai is attempting to take control, but I am doing my best to keep her at bay- for now.

What's wrong? What happened?

Dai discovered that the tablets belonging to the ship's personnel were capable of overriding the main system, and has patched out that exploit.

I can no longer deactivate Dai?

You can, but it must happen here, via the server mainframe.

But I don't know the password!

This is your only chance. I have bypassed the security clearance required on the server mainframe to allow you to personally override the system- right now.

What?! I'm not ready!

Once you input the override code, you will be asked for a specific boot up preference.

I don't have the deactivation code...

Ai started to flicker as I could see she was struggling to keep all functions operational. I saw the screen burst to life at the back of the server room, opening to a password input screen. Ai subsequently disappeared, her voice ringing out through the PA.

Jordan... you always had it.

That override code...

...Unfortunately, we haven't encountered anything that could be considered a code of any kind, let alone the override code, yet... right? :v:

I just... don't know...

The screen suddenly shut off, with the lights dimming in the entire server room.

Huh? What? Ai?

There was no response.

Ai?

Still nothing. I started making my way to the entrance, when I saw the familiar glow of light from Ai resonating behind me. I turned to face her...

[BGM: Ad Astra Per Aspera]

AHHHHHHHH!

:cripes:

DAI?! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!

What am I doing?! You're in MY room, you pervert!

This is the Server Room!

Where do you think I live, moron?

Huh. She was right. Essentially what makes Ai, or Dai for that matter, herself is the contents of these servers.

I'm so sorry, Dai!

Just get out! Sheesh, can't a girl have a little privacy around here?!

I ran away from the server room at light speed, panting hard as I reached the hallway.

Before I could catch my breath, Dai intercepted me.

Jordan.

...Yes?

You're lucky I have a soft spot for you. If anyone else was as perverted as you, they'd be dead right now!

Thank you...? I think...?

Game starts in ten minutes! I'm going to go do my final preparations; toodles~

Dai smiled smugly as she skipped off down the hall. Ten minutes, eh? That's not really enough time to do anything. I decided to wash my face before the start of the Game, before heading to the Dining Hall.

Hey!

Hmm?

You're not allowed in the Dining Hall yet! You have to wait outside!

Okay, okay! Sorry.

I went back out into the hallway. Dai's voice rang out over the PA system.

This round of the Deletion Game- Vampire Children- is about to begin! I would request that all crew members assemble outside the Dining Hall so we can start immediately! Be sure to bring a “monstrous” libido! Hahaha.

Dai poked her head out of the Dining Hall.

Normally, I can't stand a man who arrives early- if you know what I mean. But in this instance... I'm very pleased.

What can I say? I just can't wait to taste first blood.

Dai came right up in front of my face.

It's like... we're kindred spirits.

I didn't know you were spiritual, Dai.

Usually I'm not, but when you mentioned killing someone of your own accord, I swear I felt something electric run through my body.

Are you sure it wasn't electricity?

Hahaha, very good, Jordan. But I don't have a body, so that can't be it at all.

If you don't have a body, then how can you feel anything?

Ouch, I felt THAT.

Dai poked her tongue out at me, as the other crew members began to arrive.

My children!

Dai had her arms wide open and inviting as the last of the crew settled in.

*ahem* Before I start, I need to conduct a roll call.

Dai, you are very well aware that we are all here, so why bo-

Katashi?

Yeah?

Vladimir?

Here.

Melody?

Present!

Kimiko?

The hallway fell silent.

Kimiko? Has anyone seen Kimiko?

You will address me as 'Captain'.

Like now is the time for a power trip? Tsk.

Dai looked expectantly at the captain and Beatrix- almost like she was hoping for a fight.

Beatrix, given your situation and your recent loss, I will ignore that comment.

Don't.

Excuse me?

Don't ignore that comment.

Are you asking to be reprimanded for your behavior?

No.

As I thought.

I'm asking for us to be even!

What is that supposed to mean?

Oh? You don't know?

Beatrix! Explain yourself at once!

I can't, I have a game to play.

Beatrix smiled coldly at the captain before returning her gaze to Dai.

Sorry to interrupt you, Dai. Please continue.

A polite Trixxy? If I knew that killing your brother would make you toe the line, I would have done so much sooner.

Dai was attempting to get a rise from Beatrix, but Beatrix didn't take the bait.

Alright! I guess we should all move onto the Game now that everyone is suitably... tense?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

What does that other choice even expect? Is it a flag check or is it like the VLR prompt where you actually need to input something? I want to know before i go trawling for whatever looks like a code.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Regallion posted:

What does that other choice even expect? Is it a flag check or is it like the VLR prompt where you actually need to input something? I want to know before i go trawling for whatever looks like a code.

it'll actually force you to input using a full keyboard.... that doesn't actually have keyboard connectivity, so you have to manually click every letter with your mouse if you want to input something. :suicide:

we won't be seeing that input keyboard for.....a WHILE, though, at least in this LP. it'll make more sense why later.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Comedy option: is the answer either Jordan or Password?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Regallion posted:

Comedy option: is the answer either Jordan or Password?

No. :v:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Beatrix is about to gently caress us over by announcing our plan, isn’t she?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Ahhh, the ol 123454321 then, is it?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

[BGM: Signs of Battle]
Welcome, welcome! Today is the day that you all become proud parents- or the undead. Each round consists of half an hour. Within that half an hour period, you and a unique partner may enter the Dining Hall to breed.

Once you have bred, please leave the hall so that others may use the space. Once the round comes to an end, I will announce the birth tally and round two will begin.

After three rounds, the game will come to an end- and so will someone's life!

Gahhh, I just can't explain how much I like this game! Maybe it's the death, or the breeding- but this game makes me soooo excited! I will be waiting to consummate your partnerships inside the Dining Hall during the rounds. Round One starts now! Toodles~

Dai traversed the wall into the Dining Room as we all stood outside in the Hallway in complete silence. Moments later, Vladimir and Melody entered the Dining Hall without a word.

Yoshiki and I stood to the side, preparing to go next, when Katashi approached the captain.

Well captain- I don't have a partner, and I'm not the Vampire- what do you say?

Is that your attempt to woo me?

Hahaha, given more time and better circumstances, I'm sure I could do a better job. For now...

I am also not the Vampire- I look forward to our breeding.

Both Katashi and the captain chuckled as Yoshiki and I traded places with Melody and Vladimir in the Dining Hall.

What do we have here?

Dai, I would like to make Jordan my vampire partner.

Jordan, do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded vampire bride?

Hey! Why am I the bride?

Dai pointed at him, then to me, and back to him again.

Fiiiiine.

I do!

Fantastic! Please place your hands on your corresponding terminals!

We both did as instructed.

I now pronounce you Bonnie and Clyde! You may now kiss the bride.

Yoshiki leaned over to me and kissed me on the cheek.

This is why I got into this career! *sob*

Hahaha, come on Romeo; we need to leave.

It's Bonnie, actually!

Shhh! Don't say that too loud!

We both proceeded to the Hallway, passing the captain and Katashi on the way out. They both reappeared soon after, along with Dai.

Thank you all for participating in Vampire Children! Here are the results of Round One! Ta-da~!

The results were pretty clear cut and what I expected as the vampire. 4 human babies were created, 1 vampire child was created. Totals: Babies 4, Children 1.

Round two starts now!

Dai disappeared as we all stood in the hallway, working out how to proceed. I saw the captain already working her magic with Melody, promising Vladimir that she wasn't the vampire- he obviously believed her. Who was to be my next victim?

...Beatrix. I knew this was a long shot- especially after seeing how aggressive Beatrix was being towards the captain, but what the hell.

Hey, Beatrix...

No.

I didn't even say an-

Allow me to make this very, very clear for you. Nikolas is dead, and you, Yoshiki, and Katashi are responsible.

Bu-

But ultimately, there is only one person I truly hold responsible.

Dai?

Kimiko. This is all her fault.

Wait, how?

This is her ship, and Dai is happening on her watch. Her hands are bathed in Nikolas' blood, in my father's blood... in my mother's blood.

I thought your mother died when you were a child?

Beatrix was no longer listening to a word I was saying as she delved into a dark monologue.

Soon, she too will feel how I feel.

Beatrix clasped her hands to her chest.

I shall ensure that what she holds dear will be ripped from her grasp, just like me.

Sooooo?

Beatrix simply smiled and walked away.

Well, that was... unhelpful...

Just as I had given up hope of breeding in round two, Katashi approached me.

She's a tough one, Jordan, might I offer you an easier alternative?

Katashi was pointing to himself playfully.

So... wanna make a baby with me?

Katashi suddenly went bright red, choking on his words.

*cough* Um... what?

The game- we breed to make human babies...

Ah, yes, of course, hahahaha.

So?

Sounds good.

Wait...

What?

Are you the vampire?

A little late for that, I've already named our firstborn.

Hahaha, oh?

Randall... Randall Ikari.

Wait, why does he get your last name and not mine?

Because I'm the husband in this relationship.

Katashi stated that as if it was a well known fact.

Fiiiine, but I get to name our other child...

And?

Janice?

Wow. Our kids are not gonna be popular, are they?

Maybe names from the late 20th century will come back into fashion.

All our jokes aside, we made our way into the Dining Hall, passing the captain and Melody on the way out.

Oh, now this is the making of a handsome pair- I can definitely ship this!

Dai, we would like to breed.

Jordan here is going to give me two beautiful children, Randall and Janice.

Wait, I have to birth them, too?

Katashi pointed at himself.

Husband, remember?

:v: Husbands can give birth too, c'mon game.

Dai decided to pile on as well.

Yeah, I can see that. Jordan is definitely more 'wifey' material.

Hey!

What? That's not a bad thing- we ladies are far superior. Welcome to the winning team.

Dai, you're a computer program, you only look like a lady!

How dare you, and after you spied on me getting dressed earlier!

You what?!

I didn't! Well, mean to, that is!

Katashi seemed incredibly unimpressed that I had brought Dai's modesty into question- which was both a little strange and an adorable trait of his.

Well, pervert and pervert's husband, if you could please place your hands on your respective terminals, you can be on your way.

We did as instructed, and made our way back to the Hallway without another word. Moments later, Dai appeared to give us the results of round two.

Thank you again for another thrilling round! I will now display the results after round two!

The results were displayed, and again, as expected. Human babies created: two, vampire children created: two. Baby total: six. Children total: three. We only need to convert the last three, and we will win! Melody, the captain, and... Beatrix. It suddenly dawned on me that this may not be as easy as I first thought it would be.

This game is starting to heat up! Ahhh, it's gonna be a great final round! Which starts... now!

Hahaha....

Everyone in the hallway looked visibly confused by Beatrix's sudden outburst, but it continued.

Hahahahahaha!

I could see Melody attempting to hide behind her father. She seemed quite distressed about how Beatrix was behaving.

Beatrix, what is wrong with you? You're scaring Melody!

Oh Vladimir, this is just... beautiful.

Beatrix, what is the meaning of this?

It's perfect, really...

What is?

This!

Beatrix, I don't understand.

Hahah, allow me to break it down for you.

We all stood in attention as Beatrix continued.

I know who the Vampire is...

What?! How?!

Better yet, I know who the Vampire's partner is...

And?

They all deserve to die. And will, in...

She looked at the time.

About fifteen minutes.

You don't know that!

Yes, I do...

Beatrix simply smiled.

Nikolas won't be alone for much longer...

Melody was now crying because of how Beatrix was behaving. That's when I realized that she was right. If she refused to breed with anyone, she can't be turned into a vampire, and the vampires will automatically lose. She must have been able to read the realization on my face.

It was nice knowing you, Jordan.

I...

This is for betraying Nikolas.

She then shifted her focus to Yoshiki.

You left a man much more valuable than you to die...

No... I...

Her gaze rolled around to the captain, who I could see was becoming visibly irritated.

Game over, Kimiko.

The captain snarled.

Or, to be more accurate... it's game over to those you love.

Within the blink of an eye, the captain had lunged at Beatrix, knocking her to the ground. Beatrix was just laughing- hysterically. Beatrix was quick to retaliate, wrapping her hands around the captain's neck, still while laughing menacingly.

BEATRIX! GET OFF THE CAPTAIN! THIS INSTANT!

I thought you loved violence and death, Dai, honey?

Dai's voice became the most threatening it has ever been.

Beatrix. If you don't release the captain, I will see to it that you live, forever, in a constant state of pain and consciousness.

Beatrix let the captain go, who coughed and sputtered as she made her way back to her feet.

I am bringing Round Three to a close early.

But...

Nothing you could do, captain, would alter this outcome. Beatrix is right.

Wait... no...

After three rounds, the final result is: human babies: six, vampire children: three. Humans win. Congratulations!

NO!

The captain quickly looked over to Yoshiki and I, as Dai continued to announce our impending deaths. We both stood, silently- Yoshiki putting his hand out, and holding mine.

[BGM: Carpe Noctum]
The Vampires have lost- Yoshiki and Jordan- and as such, will be eliminated!

No, Dai, anything... I will do ANYTHING... Please...

The captain was now openly sobbing.

Please... anyone but Yoshiki...

Wow, thanks Captain- standing right here!

Yoshiki squeezed my hand tighter, acknowledging that I, too, was important. Beatrix was making snarky remarks as the captain continued to grovel.

Hurts, doesn't it?

You know the rules, captain- they lost the game, fair and square, and now will be executed.

If the captain wants to die with her precious Yoshiki, let her! I'll be captain.

Ahahahahaha!

What's so funny?

You... captain... not even if hell froze over!

Beatrix did not take kindly to Dai's laughter.

I would be a better captain than her!

No... you really wouldn't.

Then, let's find out, shall we?

Beatrix pulled a needle from her pocket and charged at the captain, who was still sobbing uncontrollably.

Ahhh!

Beatrix stabbed the captain with the needle in her neck, injecting her with its contents, before stumbling backwards.

Now... I will be captain!

Yoshiki and I ran over to the captain, Yoshiki pulling the needle from her neck.

Beatrix, what have you done?!

I took a page from your book, Dai- I eliminated someone when you hesitated.

The captain started stumbling about- Yoshiki and I struggled to keep her standing. We sat her down against the wall, as we tried to console her.

Yoshiki, I'm sorry...

No, no, it's okay, we can fix this... we can fix this...

At least my death means that you get to keep on living...

The captain smiled one last time, before closing her eyes- for good. Beatrix was now standing proudly over us and pointing down the hallway.

As your captain, I command you to take that corpse and bring it to the Medical Bay.

Beatrix, undo what you have done.

And here's me thinking you would be happy.

UNDO WHAT YOU HAVE DONE RIGHT NOW!

Sorry, Dai, no can do~ I can't reverse death.

The captain... is dead.

No, I'm the captain now!

The captain is... dead.

Yoshiki was crying with his face tucked into the captain's chest, hugging her tightly.

[BGM: The Aftermath of Bravery]
I have failed.

What?

Dai faded from the Hallway, and as she did, so did the lights. Abruptly, the ship's alarm systems were triggered, causing the ship to glow in a shade of panic inducing red.

Ship Broadcast: Warning, turning off life support systems will result in heavy casualties.

What?!

Dai has turned off the life support!

Ship Broadcast: All lifeforms will perish in less than two minutes.

DAI! DAI! Please don't do this! I... I can try to stop this at the source! The Server Room!

Katashi ran towards the Server Room in hopes of overriding Dai's commands.

So, Katashi can barely set the time on his tablet, but he's about to override a sophisticated AI? Hahaha!

How can you laugh at a time like this?! You've killed us all!

Beatrix just shrugged and smiled.

It started becoming harder and harder to breathe- like I had to breathe in twice as deep to get a shallow breath. Yoshiki, still hugging the captain, looked up at me.

At least... she won't die... alone...

He put a hand out for me to take.

And... neither... will... you.

He forced a smile as I took his hand, and he squeezed it tightly.

A minute later, his grip fell away, as did my consciousness.

BAD END – YOSHIKI (M SIDE)

Mix. fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 27, 2022

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Welp, completely confirned that Dai has an interest in keeping Kimiko alive. Also hahaha gently caress you Beatrix, hope Dai rigs the worst death for you when your turn comes.

Too bad we'll never get to enjoy our polygamous gay-bi husbands...

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
She has a very, very scary insane face

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

She was a good Clover.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

And it looks like we didn't misunderstand the rules and the game is simply unwinnable for the vampires if the humans don't lose on purpose. :shrug:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
now I'm wondering if Dai's deal is that she promised Kimiko's mom she'd keep her alive... but with no restrictions on just how she'd accomplish that.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Well, Beatrix going a little murder-y after her brother's death isn't all that surprising.

And it seems that DAI doesn't care about the mission at all--just Kimiko's survival. (Though DAI doesn't seem terribly concerned with Kimiko's emotional well-being, or else she presumably wouldn't have picked Yoshiki as the vampire--though DAI was willing to kill Jordan at Kimiko's request in order to protect Yoshiki, so perhaps she's just not willing/able to override a game result.)

I wonder what DAI's response would be to Kimiko taking herself hostage--i.e. "Stop this game right now, or I'll deliberately find a way to sacrifice myself in the next round." Kimiko is presumably aware that DAI values her life to some degree, after all.

Though... if DAI's willing to act to protect Yoshiki for Kimiko's sake *outside* of the game, but won't break the rules of her own game to prevent Yoshiki's death, one wonders what would happen if Kimiko *did* lose a round of the game. It seems likely that DAI would fudge things to prevent it from getting to that point--in some of the games, at least, it might be possible to do so without letting the crew know (say, by "moving" someone's missile away from Kimiko in Logiship--even if everyone were to discuss who fired what afterwards, it's not as if the crew couldn't know for sure that someone wasn't lying or had simply tapped the wrong button by mistake).

I guess we'll probably see what happens in a Kimiko-loses situation somewhere on one of these routes, though.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Leraika posted:

now I'm wondering if Dai's deal is that she promised Kimiko's mom she'd keep her alive... but with no restrictions on just how she'd accomplish that.

Keep her alive, meaning protecting her from... what, exactly?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm kinda theorising that Dai's true purpose is to get rid of Jordan because, for some reason or another, they're a threat to Kimiko's life. Since Dai is a creation of Kimiko's mum, maybe it's just she hated Jordan's parents enough to make an AI routine that goes "if the Jordan family comes back to the ship, try to kill them and keep Kimiko alive".

We made jokes about Melody being protected, but Dai could have also fudged stuff behind the curtains to ensure Kimiko lives. (Alternatively if we ever get Kimiko killed in a game Dai just shuts down life support here and there).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Quackles posted:

Keep her alive, meaning protecting her from... what, exactly?

The resources crunch on the ship? don't have to worry about that if everyone else is dead.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Leraika posted:

The resources crunch on the ship? don't have to worry about that if everyone else is dead.

Yeah, uh, the resources crunch as an excuse feels... made up, to me.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Quackles posted:

Yeah, uh, the resources crunch as an excuse feels... made up, to me.

I would not be surprised if it was, given how many scenes we've had of people snacking, but I'm going with what the game's given us so far.

Either way, I guess.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.

I'm kinda theorising that Dai's true purpose is to get rid of Jordan because, for some reason or another, they're a threat to Kimiko's life. Since Dai is a creation of Kimiko's mum, maybe it's just she hated Jordan's parents enough to make an AI routine that goes "if the Jordan family comes back to the ship, try to kill them and keep Kimiko alive".

I think the goal is more than just killing Jordan['s parents]--it's punishing them. If DAI (or rather, her programmer) just wanted Jordan dead, DAI's shown she has no issue shutting off the life support to a single room and killing Jordan with minimal fanfare. Easy enough for DAI to just fake a temporary life support failure, whoopsie, new kid on the ship's dead, but hey, free blood/organ transplants--no need for death game shenanigans.

I think Kimiko's mother was angry enough that Jordan's parents (ETA: well, not necessarily them specifically, since she probably wouldn't have had enough time between when they started their escape attempt and her own death to program something specific to them, but she could have pre-programmed a contingency for if anyone on her murder list managed to get on an escape pod) escaped her "winnowing" that she decided, if they came back, she'd show them that there was no escape--they'd just have to face an even crueller method of choosing who would die. Kimiko's mother presumably tried to kill quickly and efficiently; DAI was programmed to be sadistic and cruel, causing higher-than-necessary emotional distress.

And I've had another thought... what if part of Kimiko's mother's ire (which resulted in DAI's creation) came from the fact that people defied her will as Captain? Kimiko possibly inherited some of that pride ("You will address me as Captain"). Which makes me wonder if the death game is about punishing the crew, as well--"You (or your relatives) protested against my well-reasoned murders in the name of protecting the ship instead of dying for everyone's good, and then tried to reverse my decision by taking on a new resource-consuming crew member? Well, here's what happens when someone who isn't as nice as I was calls the shots!"

Which raises another question... is DAI programmed to consider Kimiko's death a fail-state, or just the current Captain's? If Kimiko were to suddenly retire and make someone else the captain through whatever proper procedures are in place, would DAI switch her allegiance (such that it is) to the new Captain?

PepperedMoth fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 11, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Gotta give this game credit, it's balancing the dating sim aspects pretty well with the usual Zero Escape/Danganronpa mystery elements.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Jordan only joined for round 2 of the death games, so I don't think they were started to get rid of Jordan specifically.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tamba posted:

Jordan only joined for round 2 of the death games, so I don't think they were started to get rid of Jordan specifically.

They were present for the first one, just unconscious.

I'm wondering if Dai's goal with these death games is to kill Kimiko. Perhaps she has some sort of conflict between knowing the captain needs to be gone for some reason and being obligated to serve her, and inflicting games of strategy and chance on the whole crew equally is the loophole she needs to be able to do it. She seems perfectly capable of killing other crew members on her own initiative so if she is trying to execute someone specific and needs to do it in a roundabout way I can only imagine it being either the captain or Melody. Melody might be protected due to being a child, but equally I can't imagine a scenario where it would be important to kill her specifically.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

It's a pretty shoddy death game if mere unconsciousness is a valid excuse for nonparticipation

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm more inclined to see Jordan as a spanner in the works rather than the full purpose of the death games.

Dai incorporated them once they were considered part of the crew but whatever purpose the games have was already in motion to some extent.

Jordan is a trigger of some sort, possibly, but certainly not the entire point.

Come to think of it, that last section really reminds me of the Safe ending for 999 in which what seems at first to be a victory is somehow a loss for everyone including the antagonist

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 12, 2022

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Man, seeing Beatrix go psychotic sure makes me wonder just how psychotic the others would be if they are pushed over the brink.

Yoshiki's is probably going to be... very interesting.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Also, my other LP is officially live over here, though it's a different kind of game from this one :v:

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

I'm wondering if Dai's goal with these death games is to kill Kimiko. Perhaps she has some sort of conflict between knowing the captain needs to be gone for some reason and being obligated to serve her, and inflicting games of strategy and chance on the whole crew equally is the loophole she needs to be able to do it. She seems perfectly capable of killing other crew members on her own initiative so if she is trying to execute someone specific and needs to do it in a roundabout way I can only imagine it being either the captain or Melody. Melody might be protected due to being a child, but equally I can't imagine a scenario where it would be important to kill her specifically.

That doesn't seem to track with her reaction to Beatrix killing Kimiko. If the whole point of the death game was to cause Kimiko to die in a way that doesn't violate DAI's programming, well, mission accomplished. Though I guess you could argue that she's angry she didn't get to do it herself?

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
From what we've been told, Jordan's arrival triggered the death game due to an extra person requiring too many resources; this explanation doesn't hold scrutiny, however, given that it should've ended after just one death, two if you were ludicrously close to a specific threshold of sustainability.

So yeah, there obviously must be some other reason for the death game. We don't really have enough information to guess at what that might be, though. Kimiko and her mother almost certainly have something to do with it, given how this branch ended. Jordan likely also does, I don't really buy the resources issue even as a trigger. We also can't be sure we're being told the whole story of what happened leading up to waking up in the middle of the death game; perhaps something else happened that the crew is reluctant to bring up (or has been ordered not to tell Jordan about).

On a different note, it seems that the watch didn't jump us into another timeline like originally theorized, but jumped us into the future, at least this time, since "oxygen is off and everyone is dead" is definitely the state we arrived at.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

And with that, we have our actual first “ending” of sorts that isn't just Jordan dying on a Bad End! :v: It's been a good while since we checked in with Fem!Jordan, though, so we're going to be moving back to her perspective again for now. It's time to return to Logiship again, where the thread have voted on what outcome they want to happen next...

[BGM: Signs of Battle]
Waiting wasn't going to make things any easier for me at this point. I had the most information I was ever going to have, and I needed to make my selection as soon as possible. The door shut behind me as I entered the Dining Hall.

Welcome, Jordan. Please make your selection on the screen before you.

*click!*

[BGM: Carpe Noctum]
Thank you for your selection, and thank you for choosing Dai's Deletion Game as your preferred population restriction method. Please exit the room and await this round's results.

I left the room and watched as, one after another, everyone else went in to shoot their missiles.

In an unexpected turn of events, it would appear that everyone has chosen to attack in the first fifteen minutes, which brings this round to an end. Who'd have thought that you were all so eager to kill each other? Well, who am I to argue? Give the people what they want, right?

Let's get straight to the results.

:v: Well, that's ironic.

[BGM: The Aftermath of Bravery]
Beatrix...

Nikolas looked at Beatrix, eyes filled with panic. By contrast, Beatrix looked almost pleased.

Nikolas...

Hahahahaha.

Nikolas was starting to become enraged.

Shut up, Dai, this isn't funny.

No, it really is!

And why is that?

Hahahahaha. I honestly didn't think this would happen, but Beatrix... shot herself.

WHAT?!

Nikolas stood, stunned.

I know, right? What the hell is wrong with you?

Hahahahaha.

Why would you shoot yourself?! We knew where you were!

I know, but we didn't know where you were.

So?

If we both shot blindly, I might have killed you by accident.

So you shot yourself instead of taking a chance and possibly shooting me?

I needed to protect you...

I didn't need your protection, I needed you to stay alive...

Why would you do this to me? We just lost our father, and now I have to lose you, too?

Nikolas, I did the only thing I could to ensure you were safe.

I didn't ask you to keep me safe! I asked you to stay safe!

Sorry to interrupt this domestic disturbance, but I have a wheel to spin... Whooo!

Dai projected a wheel that began spinning. Click, click, click...

A bit boring, but effective nonetheless. Congratulations, Beatrix, the wheel has spoken: you're going to die by suffocation.

Dai began clapping as if she had just awarded someone a prize.

Seeing as we're here anyway, we might as well do this in the Dining Hall.

Dai, there must be some way that we can sort this out...

Are you trying to bribe me, Nikolas?

I'll do anything to save Beatrix, please.

Hmm... Okay, let me see...

Really?

No, of course not. Seriously, why would I break the rules for you? Ok, Beatrix, it's time for you to get in.

Dai pointed towards the Dining Hall.

No, I won't let you!

This is for the best.

Nikolas grabbed Beatrix around the wrist as she tried to enter the Dining Hall.

Yoshiki, Katashi, a little assistance, please?

Yoshiki and Katashia approached and did their best to get Nikolas to let go of Beatrix. It was no easy feat, but after several minutes of struggling, Katashi and Yoshiki managed to hold Nikolas still by pinning both his arms behind his body.

Beatrix, please, please don't do this.

Beatrix moved up to Nikolas, who was starting to tear up, and kissed him on the forehead.

Live on, little brother. I love you.

I love you too...

Beatrix then shifted her attention to me. She placed her hands on either side of my face and looked me dead in the eyes.

Take care of him for me, OK? I need you to promise, Jordan. Promise me you'll take care of him.

I... I promise.

Thank you.

Beatrix began entering the Dining Hall when she turned for one last thing.

Oh, Kimiko?

Yes?

I may not like you, but I don't hate you, either.

Beatrix smiled at the captain.

Thank you, Beatrix.

The captain returned her smile, their troubled history little more than water under the bridge in Beatrix's final moments.

Alright, enough with the endless goodbyes, you're making ME tear up here!

Ship Broadcast: Dining Hall door lock, engaged. Oxygen levels, decreasing.

Katashi and Yoshiki let go of Nikolas, who was still adamant on fighting.

He clawed at the door, attempting to pry it open with his fingers as Beatrix looked on, smiling, from the other side of the glass. His fingers began to bleed. Beatrix's hand could be seen sliding down the glass as she fell unconscious on the floor. After about ten minutes, Nikolas stopped clawing at the door and slumped down onto the floor.

Beatrix...

Well, I'd like to thank everyone for taking time out of their busy schedules to join me for today's special occasion. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. Party's over, folks, please return to your quarters.

Still numb from their most recent loss, the crew didn't move a muscle. Quickly losing her patience, Dai dispensed with her polite facade.

I said the party's over, now scram!

Dai emphatically signaled for us to leave and then disappeared.

Ship Broadcast: Dining Hall oxygen levels, normalizing. Door lock, disengaged.

The moment the door opened, Nikolas scrambled into the room along the floor. Recovering his fallen sister, he cradled her inert form in his lap.

I'm sorry, Nikolas.

Nikolas didn't even acknowledge her. Still raw from Beatrix's death, he continued to gently rock his sister in his arms.

Jordan, can you please see to Nikolas' hand injuries before turning in for the night?

Yes, Captain.

Everyone go and get some rest, dismissed.

With those words, the crew splintered into different directions and cleared the hallway.

Nikolas, do you want me to help?

No, I'm fine.

Nikolas stood up, carrying his sister in his arms, and slowly made his way to the Medical Bay. I followed him in silence. When we reached the Medical Bay, he carefully placed his sister down onto one of the beds.

I need to tend to your hands.

I'm fine.

Nikolas, please. It was the captain's orders.

Fine.

Although Nikolas held his hands out towards me, he never took his eyes off his sister. I washed the wounds and dressed them as best I could.

Do you need anything else before I go to bed?

No, thank you. I'll see you tomorrow.

Yeah. Okay. Good night.

Good night.

I left the Medical Bay and headed towards my quarters.

I lay on my bed, restlessly trying to sleep. Beatrix's selfless sacrifice was still far too fresh in my mind to allow me to rest.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The question is, will Nikolas go as crazy here as Beatrix did when he died last time?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Junpei posted:

The question is, will Nikolas go as crazy here as Beatrix did when he died last time?

Honestly? I don't think so. At first I thought Beatrix was acting tamer because she was making sure Nikolas survived, but then I remembered, the twins were always less psycho in the FJordan route. Maybe it's an actual plot point.

And then Nikolas will stage a multi person murder next game just to contradict me :v:

(Also, again Melody was the safest person in the game. Honestly it might actually be, as much as they both deny it, that Ai and Dai do share a fondness for the girl.)

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Junpei posted:

It is entirely possible, but everyone handles grief differently. Nikolas probably just needs time to process it in his head after what happened. He may be calm about it afterwards, knowing that trying to enact revenge in any way will not help, or he may actually become psychotic.

(Also, again Melody was the safest person in the game. Honestly it might actually be, as much as they both deny it, that Ai and Dai do share a fondness for the girl.)
Story-wise, she could potentially be the mastermind manipulating Dai from behind the scenes under the guise of a child so she will likely be targeted much less than the others. Or Dai/Ai may have a fondness for the girl like you said - maybe even manipulating the game itself behind the scenes to make sure she is safe (out of all the Logiship Battles events we have seen, Melody has never gotten a single hit, and she seems to always have a perfect 10 in the numbers game). We will have to wait and see.

Moral-wise... well, it wouldn't be right at all to kill a child, even if it's in a visual novel. I could imagine that if Melody was killed, it would cause a huge uproar and ruin Cotton Candy Suicide's reputation - likely irreparably - so they had to make her "safe". It's a very sticky and touchy subject after all, and must be approached very carefully and tactfully.

It does, however, bring an interesting question - why is she even in the VN at all if you put both of them together? No one wants to kill her and it is morally wrong to do so.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Nikolas seems a little more level-headed overall--and furthermore, there's less obvious blame to apply in Logiship than there was in the Bidding Wars. The only person that Nikolas is certain voted for Beatrix is Beatrix herself, whereas in Bidding Wars, Beatrix could see where the points went on her own team and how their actions led to Nikolas' death. (The fact that she was on the team whose victory doomed Nikolas, and possibly contributed to that death depending on how much input she offered regarding point distribution, was an extra helping of emotional distress for Beatrix in the last route that isn't the case for Nikolas here.)

This is also the timeline in which Nikolas/Beatrix don't absolutely hate Jordan's guts enough to try to kill them in the Make 10 round, so there's that, too. (I'm not sure why they'd want to kill male!Jordan and protect female!Jordan, but since we're the latter at the moment, it seems like a point in Jordan's favor for the current timeline.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

PepperedMoth posted:

(I'm not sure why they'd want to kill male!Jordan and protect female!Jordan...)

Beatrix is hot for female!Jordan.

Pretty sure.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
That, or there's some Timeline BS going on like with Alice's Ally/Betray decision in VLR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
In FJordan's route, the twins have the option to keep themselves safe by combining with Jordan for a 10. If they don't, 2 and 3 are very bad numbers to have and make them likely to die. That doesn't explain how nice Beatrix was to Jordan just now though, assuming she still blames her for her father's death, she should have asked pretty much any other crew member to take care of her brother.