Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I always forget about Cubert and Dwight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Does Dwight even show up in the Comedy Central run?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

swickles posted:

Does Dwight even show up in the Comedy Central run?

They go to Hermes' house and eat there. I want to say it's a christmas one? Either way Dwights in that

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

All these bad posts saying that totally fine episodes are bad and nobody has mentioned the real worst episode of the original run: The Route of All Evil

I use "we apologize with nice cheap words" at least once a week at work

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Payndz posted:

There was an episode of Duckman where the premise was "men and women just can't get on, ammirite, so the USA gets split into two countries, one all male and the other all female" that I remember as being pretty cringeworthy even at the time for having every joke go exactly as you'd expect, so it would probably be unwatchable now.

There's a book called The Gate to Women's Country where America has been divided into one all male and one female part after a nuke. The twist is that the women got so sick of the men's poo poo that they manipulated the men into constantly going to war with each other. Meanwhile the women just chill on their part of the country, setting up plays and having festivals where they can occasionally gently caress the men.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/NylaRoseBeast/status/1496976247557181444?s=20&t=gRmjzovq7UNO6SN4_aT9_Q

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

I use "we apologize with nice cheap words" at least once a week at work

Just watched it again, for the first time in forever.

Still bad. It actually reminds me of some of the lesser CC episodes, where it’s heavy on plot and light on any jokes that elicit more than a generous chuckle.

Still, like I said, not outright BAD like some of the CC episodes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

"Soothe us with sweet lies" is the better Hermes quote anyway.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
https://deadline.com/2022/03/john-dimaggio-return-futurama-revival-hulu-bendergate-1234968435/

John DiMaggio officially back.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Negotiations? He prefers the word 'extortion'. (The X makes it sound cool.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Good, I hope they had to pay out the (shiny, metal) rear end to get him.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Glad the thread's title is now inaccurate!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Now we can focus on the poor quality of the shows writing again

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've been doing a rewatch (and in many cases first watch) of the CC seasons in anticipation of this and...
A lot of them aren't as bad as I recall/read.

Some of them definitely are but also some of them are pretty fine. Hopefully the time away has them swirling with new stories, l will watch this time.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Fun is now confirmed to be on a bun.

Still skeptical on how it'll turn out but it can't be as bad as Disenchantment.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Island Nation posted:

Fun is now confirmed to be on a bun.

Still skeptical on how it'll turn out but it can't be as bad as Disenchantment.

Now you've done it...

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Glad John is back.. I wanna have hope for this but Disenchantment has been.. rough. It had some laughs here and there but man does it suck.

As for CC futurama. Very hit and miss. It had some solid ones like Bender trying to find his original creator because he wants to find out why he doesn't have a back up body. Zoidberg actually ends up happy with someone.

I"m really curious to how they are gonna do the revival as the series ending did on a pretty good tie up to it.

I could see maybe the time button doesn't reset them back to episode one like fans theorized it did.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

This is the first time I haven't been firmly in the "more Futurama is better than no more Futurama" camp. And I'm still glad I got to continue watching newly released episodes for so long since I never felt ready to let go of the show after the first cancellation. I was praying it would come back since the Family Guy return which I was never nearly as excited about but it was the thing everyone was talking about at my high school.

I was so happy when the movies were announced and that they did well enough to get new episodes after them too. After all this time, I'm not as sure about getting excited. I hope it brings fans together, maybe it'll be fun to put one on at a party and get drunk shouting at the screen again. Even if it turns out it sucks, I really do still mostly feel glad that it's coming.

I don't think any finales wrapped up character arcs and story lines as completely as the most recent. Out of all of them that one seemed like, the donest of the done, whereas every other finale was created without the crew being told whether they would make a new season or not as far as I recall. This is also the longest gap between releases is it not? I certainly feel way older.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
They need to pull a Sledge Hammer!:

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Like I said before, the best way for the new season to go is if they shift the focus to Fry and Leela as a family. You even have those tar pits as a plot device so you don’t have to change the animation or make the characters look older, but a revival 23 years after the pilot has to see the characters grow somewhat. As many others have pointed out, the comedic tropes that the show used 20 years ago won’t fly today, and the political/cultural landscape has changed more in the last 9 years than the writers could’ve ever imagined. The one constant is that when they wrote the show with some heart, it was generally very good, so stick with that and wacky science and have fun exploring new depths of the characters. I don’t know about everyone else, but I definitely do not want the same show as 10 or 20 years ago, fun as it was.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They got the creative team back and now all the actors as well - I would be fine with the show not continuing, but it's not like many better things have come along to replace it (Rick and Morty??? Final Space?????), so I'm happy to give them a shot.

I don't really care what they do, as long as it's funny. Disenchantment is alright, but it's just like a lot of pieces are missing WRT the writing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I wonder if someone who was with Fox back in 1998, when the Simpsons voice cast was holding out for pay raises and the producers got to the point of auditioning replacement voice actors, got through to Disney / Hulu and said that re-casting Bender would be a really, really, really bad idea.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Blind Pineapple posted:

Like I said before, the best way for the new season to go is if they shift the focus to Fry and Leela as a family. You even have those tar pits as a plot device so you don’t have to change the animation or make the characters look older, but a revival 23 years after the pilot has to see the characters grow somewhat. As many others have pointed out, the comedic tropes that the show used 20 years ago won’t fly today, and the political/cultural landscape has changed more in the last 9 years than the writers could’ve ever imagined. The one constant is that when they wrote the show with some heart, it was generally very good, so stick with that and wacky science and have fun exploring new depths of the characters. I don’t know about everyone else, but I definitely do not want the same show as 10 or 20 years ago, fun as it was.

I like that idea. Don't try to make more episodes of the 2000 show, make a new 2022 sensibility Sci-fi comedy show.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Uncle Wemus posted:

Now you've done it...

Probably

I was bitter about Fox (the network) screwing with Futurama the way it did and thought it was cut short. Elated with the movies but wanting more since it was clearly made to be split up and satisfied with the CC run even with some clunkers and thought it had come to a natural end. Hulu reviving it baffles me and even with the full cast back has left me cold. I'll still watch it though of course but the thought of further diminishing returns concerns me.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The only good Mars episode was the first one with Robot House

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Shindragon posted:

As for CC futurama. Very hit and miss. It had some solid ones like Bender trying to find his original creator because he wants to find out why he doesn't have a back up body. Zoidberg actually ends up happy with someone.

I didn't like that episode because they made a big fuss in the past of how bender is immortal, then suddenly...he isn't any more. And when you find out who it is as well, it's just really trite

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

At least Bender is back baby.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i'm so ashamed i wish everyone else was dead

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

I Love Loosies posted:

I always thought the one with the penguins was kinda weak. Really anytime they used those 'wacky' hippies never did anything for me.

The episode as a whole is OK.

But Bender as a penguin is an all time bit.
"Full of fish?"
"Not entirely."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Taear posted:

I didn't like that episode because they made a big fuss in the past of how bender is immortal, then suddenly...he isn't any more. And when you find out who it is as well, it's just really trite

The Futurama writers are just endlessly trying to recreate Jurassic Bark.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

And then undoing it as well. Game of Tones tries this as well except that thanks to Bender's Big Score we know that Fry (albeit Lars but still) spent LOTS of time with his family.

I did a rewatch last year and the CC episodes are a slog until Fry and Leela actually became a couple, then it got a lot better because after 4 seasons, 4 movies and TWO "finales" of them going down the will path it is frustrating as poo poo to just walk it all back like they did for the CC start. We got good stuff but even when they became a couple we still got stupid poo poo like the human zoo episode.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Aces High posted:

I did a rewatch last year and the CC episodes are a slog until Fry and Leela actually became a couple, then it got a lot better because after 4 seasons, 4 movies and TWO "finales" of them going down the will path it is frustrating as poo poo to just walk it all back like they did for the CC start. We got good stuff but even when they became a couple we still got stupid poo poo like the human zoo episode.

That episode was worth it for the line "You know who else I hate? That monkey I haven't seen in years: Gunter!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alhazred posted:

The Futurama writers are just endlessly trying to recreate Jurassic Bark.

Yeah, it became really clear in the CC era that they were trying to chase that high.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm finally watching the rest of the movies now that they're in Adult Swim's set of reruns, and they seemed to really suffer from "Hey, remember this guy! And this guy! And what about her! Don't you love these callbacks!" writing. I'm sure it was fun in the moment of the revival but it makes them kind of a slog now.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
every single 'bad' episode people are listing from the original run still had multiple hilarious jokes. there were no bad episodes in the original run. there were bad plots sure but every single one had great bits throughout.

so glad dimaggio is on board, I will now watch. it's not just bender, his voice is so much of what made futurama, all the incidental character voices would be missed nearly as much.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

The Walrus posted:

so glad dimaggio is on board, I will now watch. it's not just bender, his voice is so much of what made futurama, all the incidental character voices would be missed nearly as much.

Definitely love some of his non-bender voices. Url comes to mind right away. Sal... , oh man lol and Barbados Slim. Is he going to continue doing voices for characters of color I wonder...

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Danzel Glovington posted:

Definitely love some of his non-bender voices. Url comes to mind right away. Sal... , oh man lol and Barbados Slim. Is he going to continue doing voices for characters of color I wonder...

God they loving love Barbados Slim in the commentary, I feel like they mention him every few episodes.

Aces High posted:

Yea I hated them walking it back. It was so strange as well, it felt like they'd gone "Eh we don't know how to make this work now, we'll just do a reset"

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
There's only two bad episodes of the original run of Futurama imo: Kif Gets Knocked Up a Notch and Mother's Day. Then there are a handful of very forgettable/terribly mediocre episodes which include: That's Lobstertainment, Where The Buggalo Roam, Bend Her, Bendless Love, The Honking, Put Your Head on my Shoulders, and Why Must I Be a Crustacean in Love. These all at least have a joke or two which lands.....but for the most part......not really worth revisiting unless they are on TV.

Notice that I omitted A Leela of Her Own. In most aspects....a poor episode. But the Hank Aaron character was great and very memorable. The bits about him being the worst baseball player in the history of the game makes me chuckle. The bit about him trying to catch a ball with an oven mitt gets me every time.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/v.comb.io/phDvt8fY/B1dFKt.mp4?1555340972798

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"I trained with a Hank Aaron" is a pretty great line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Wade Boggs... goes down smooth!