Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Azran posted:

Whenever you play as Skarbrand there should be a % chance that your army gets summoned to fight in any battle Thanquol is in.
Only if both sides are your enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Azran posted:

probably a super unpopular comment but is there honestly no NDA for Warhammer 3!?
the amount of content and videos about the game before it's even released has killed my hype.

there are no surprises there is nothing not if 30 videos. if you are totally fine with letting all these YouTubers spoil the game for us just realize the drat thing!

I'm only **** off because it pre-ordered the game if I hadn't I wouldn't buy it since at this point I may as well wait for DLC to see something new.

sauce your quotes

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dramicus posted:

While Ogres look cool as hell, I think CA really missed a golden opportunity by making them sound basically like Orcs. Just imagine if they had gone full Hunnic/Mongolian, we could have had Ogre throat singing.

Could have really benefited off that DUNC hype

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't played as ingle ME campaign lol.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The various Daemonic factions are the one time they'll probably end up pulling stuff directly from End Times/AoS/40k since Chaos is kind of shared throughout the universes, at least to an extent. So I could see Tzaangors being ported, but not named characters like that big fat Slaaneshi guy on a palanquin.

What I'm saying is ya boy, the Sloppity Bilepiper is a shoe-in.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 15, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dramicus posted:

Yeah, it makes me think they might have run out of time with a couple of the units. The Slaanesh stuff in general is really well done and extensively changed. The Tzeench stuff outside the blue/pink horrors is mostly just recolors.

To be fair, I don't think there's all that much to pull from in 8th ed. Tzeentch in general has always seemed to me to have the least model representation, with Khorne and Nurgle getting all the love.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Eimi posted:

Hell Space Marines are already basically Chaos warriors with guns, just borrow some Thousand Sons aesthetics.

Basically overly ornate golden lining, smooth flowing lines, that sort of stuff. His cultist kind of has that look already.

I posted it in the last thread, but I love that Tzeentch Chosen design from the old Warham MMO I never played.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Like all prior DLCs, I'm expecting them to come with a couple mortal units that fill some of the roster's gaps, and a big centerpiece unit or two.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think that floating head is a spell...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
People keep hyping up Nagash but I have next to no interest in a faction that's just a mishmash of existing units with, like, two uniques. Would make a neat antagonist tho.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ultrachrist posted:

Huh, so Epic has 1 and will have 3 but not 2. That's even weirder. And it only got 1 in the past few months. That suggest to me it will eventually get 2 so I suppose there's hope for gamepass as well.
Like I said earlier though, I think 3rd party games cycle in and out of gamepass, so there might not be plans to ever have the full IE campaign there. Notice even the FAQ only specifies "the Windows Store."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

uber_stoat posted:

invent a dead relative, contract a rare tropical disease.
For real, do none of you have sick days or something?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

it's a video game. not actually that important to play day one.

M-mods?!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sure enough, TWW3 is already the biggest launch in the Warham series, hitting over 130K concurrence already, more than either previous game. Gonna install it now and see how it runs on my 1070 given all the Steam performance complaints (probably mostly from people on generations-old cards trying to run it on max). I'm seeing that low fog and FXAA instead of TAA can make a big difference.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Anti-Hero posted:

I’ve never played a Total War game. The last “modern” RTS games I played were XCOM 1 & 2 and…uh….Company of Heroes 1. I like the aesthetic of Warhammer, is diving into the 3rd one viable or would I need to consider playing the first two titles?
They pretty much just build on one another. The only reasons to get the other two are because you want to play as their races or you want to play on their unique campaign maps. Well, there might be another reason to get 2 specifically, and that's that the 3rd game is more buggy and doesn't have the big, combined map yet.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Performance seems all right, about what I'd expect with my now-outdated card. I'm on a 1070/i5-6600k machine and I'm getting around the same performance on Ultra graphics/large unit size as I do in Ham2, with TAA and Fog to Low. Assuming comparability, I ran a full stack of emp spears v emp spears on 2, then one with a similar Cathay makeup. In fact, the latter actually has more models then their Western counterpart, and while the framerate dips a little lower on average, it somehow seems smoother if that makes sense. Gonna check out both games' benchmarks next.

Two things tho:
1)Blood DLC not working yet? Booooooo!
2)Can you not turn off unit outlines in this one? I hate them and desperately want them gone again.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh wait, thank Christ, you *can* turn them off you just have to do it in battle.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Frog Act posted:

so I'm running this on ultra at 2k and it runs fine but looks a bit lovely? Anyone else have this vague sense that something is off with the graphics? Like they're kind of blurry, the characters / models aren't sharp enough, and the ground is a bit lower resolution or something than it should be? I saw someone mention disabling TXAA or something like that, is that the culprit?

Yeah, switch from TAA to FXAA.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
G-dubs posted a Cathay article which includes this map:

Singling out the Hobs like that seems promising...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AnEdgelord posted:

Promising for Warhammer 3 or for The Old World though?

Outside of story events I'd argue they're one and the same. If GW's making a Khanate army for their TT resurrection then they'll definitely show up in TWW.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The snow leopards seem like a cool unit in theory, a fast, anti-large SEM that's not some kind of giant monster, but definitely feels undertuned. Has anyone tried using them in wolfpacks (lol) of three or four?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Are Skull Cannons supposed to miss every shot until they run out of ammunition, or am I missing something obvious about how they work vs. every other artillery I've ever played that hits what they're shooting at?

I haven't used them, but from early streams they're not supposed to be real artillery and get more accurate the closer they are to the target.

e;fb

Mordja fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 19, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I like that idea of anything below a tier 3 minor settlement just being a field battle. Also feel like the only walled settlement battles should be faction capitols or landmark settlements, with bespoke maps. That would have a better variety of battle types I think.

That's a legit good idea, and also makes sense immersionwise. Hopefully that's a mod when the workshop gets switched on.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Total Warhammer 2 question: what's that one mod where you're playing a custom-made Dwarf army and you're basically playing through a (I think) linear succession of quest battles? I played the TW3 prologue campaign and thought it was cool, but am gonna wait until patches/DLC/I have a better computer and stick with TW2, maybe catch up on some other games for now. I mostly just pre-ordered for Ogres lol.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sinteres posted:

I don't know about the quest battles, but this is what came to mind in terms of a dwarf mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1181220751
Nah, not the one I'm thinking of, it came out pretty late into game 2's life.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Aha, found it.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2560175114

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I just noticed the Skaven in their army :lol:

Gamerofthegame posted:

the friendly skaven make it even more on brand

Those are just Tilean mercenaries. :colbert:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXjinxYbXA

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I know they said they're focusing on performance issues, but I would still like a broad, date-free roadmap.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Onmi posted:

He has said he doesn't actually need to stream and that on the whole he's going to retire from it by the end of the year. And, I think some people don't realize this, Legend's Aussie, when he starts streaming it's about midnight and then he goes into almost mid-day. Then he sleeps, wakes up, has to do a Disaster Battle and record the audio for it, and manage his family and all that.

Yeah if I lived that life and had to play Realm of Chaos, I think I'd feel utterly betrayed. You also have to consider like... he was telling them this stuff as part of the creators program and testing the game for months, so for months you're going "This isn't fun, this is broken." And repeatedly doing so and feeling ignored. The game comes out, it's even buggier than you initially thought. The bugs are still there, and he hated (since he's left now) being in the creators program due to stress from feeling like he has to tread carefully and not say something he's not allowed to say (As in, reveals and speculation and stuff about the game, not... horrid poo poo.)

Lol "betrayed", come off it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

orangelex44 posted:

Nah, 2 was pretty bad coming out too, and for many of the same reasons as 3: the "new" game was a branch off the older one and a lot of post-release changes on the older game weren't ported into the parallel build. People largely hated Vortex after a single playthrough, Mortal Empires was initially a disappointment due to extremely long load times and the Norsca fiasco, and some of the new races had clear roster holes (not to mention there were only four playable races at 2's launch!).

I'm pretty confident that WH3 is actually a step up from how WH2 was at initial release, at least outside of actual game-breaking performance issues (I personally had no problem with either release so I don't have any metrics to go off of, even anecdotally). From a "game content" perspective it's a clear improvement, with seven-and-a-half factions that all have unique identities that more-or-less play out well on both the tactical and strategic side - compare that to WH2, which had four... of which two had very similar rosters (HE/DE), a third was missing much of their tactical identity (Skaven), and the fourth had a very lackluster strategic implementation that actually remains to this day (LM).

What's really the cause of most of this bitching is not WH3 release quality vs WH2 release quality. It's the jump from the end of the previous game to the release of the new one, e.g. WH1/WH2 and WH2/WH3. For the 1/2 transition you were going from eight (E, D, VC, GS, WE, BM, WoC, N) to four factions while the game 1 races all had minimal effects on the strategic map anyway (outside of Norsca). The 2/3 transition is going from fourteen factions, all of which are now much more impactful, down to seven-and-a-half while the strategic map influence is mostly the same on a per-faction basis. Sure, on a relative basis it's similar but people aren't considering a ratio, they care about the raw amount of "lost" content.

WH3 is... fine. Radical statement, I know. What it isn't is a game that's been polished for four years straight to address player concerns and iterate on good, if weakly-implemented ideas. What's actually great about WH3 is that basically all of the complaints people are having are fixable; the core gameplay is still solid, there's been some really great new ideas to build on (outposts!), and most importantly the soul of the game is still the same. So long as CA is committed to the same long tail as with WH2 I'm not really worried.
Mostly agree with this post, though I hope they enable moddability sooner rather than later since those can actually deal with some of the complaints people have while remaining optional. Stuff like less-frequent/fewer rift spawns, settlement battles only at T3, small, quick fixes the community can release while CA works on new content and maybe even a more comprehensive campaign overhaul.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Honestly, I've never been hugely excited about the tech trees in any of these games because they've all pretty much been some variation of "this unit gets more MD+MA" or "faster growth and replenishment." All pretty incremental progress mechanics, nothing to the level of some more traditional RTS games where the tree actually unlocks units and abilities.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ah so you want the POE tree

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kanos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXF1l3dDfn8

Oof. This explains some things about how combat feels.

Weird changes, I actually like the improved disruption from spells tho.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Angrymantium posted:

As I've been mentioning, Legend has the point in there about how CA could stop supporting TWW3 the way they've abandoned several other recent titles. I really don't see a reason to CA the benefit of the doubt with assuming that they'll just fix all the bad things about the game that are out there now, since their recent behavior is a departure from their more hands on approach to TWW2. They don't have another game to sell after TWW3, and at some point fixing the bugs, unit collision issues, the infantry turn stuff that was pointed out in that Zerkovich video, etc is going to look like a bigger expense than they want to deal with since it likely won't be bundled with a DLC. The fact that they stopped supporting 3K after all the hype is a bad sign, I really don't see a reason to believe that they've learned the lessons they need to fix the current game if they somehow didn't learn that from TWW2.
Lol this is pure conspiracy brain. At its most cutthroat level CA is beholden to GW and there's no way GW wants them to cut and run on their money printer.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
CA stuck with Rome 2 and that was way more busted at launch and probably had a lot less riding on it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Slyphic posted:

I finally just uninstalled this game. I gave it so many chances, tried every faction, and I just hate it.

I hate how units move, especially in minor settlements. Getting stuck on nothing, on each other, on every change in the terrain.

I hate the animations. I hate seeing a dragon take the sky escalator over a bridge to slowly drift now on top of infantry, only to have a seizure and jizz particle effects all over them as an attack. I hate watching two commanders try to fight and nothing syncing at all.

I hate the siege mechanics. Towers and barricades spawning from the rear end-ladder dimension. Respawning. The camera controls over the cities.

I hate the UI's garish colors, both in battle and menus. I hate neon green and red outlines, I hate the simplified iconography that strips out identity.

I hate the unit colors, everything looks so washed out and drab. It's like everything got color corrected down to muted shades or browns and greys by some Hollywood generic straight-to-Netflix director.

I hate this game and regret paying money for it now.

I really liked WHII and total wars in general, took a break since last ~Oct to replay non-WH versions like 3k, Napoleon, Atilla, and while all flawed in their own ways, I just look at this current version and the map is worse than Atilla, heroes fighting is so much worse than 3k, the colors of everything are worse than WHII which was worse than WHI, and I'm just livid with myself for giving them my money.

But most of all, I hate the friend that told me this game was fun 2 days after release, because this is the same gently caress face that told me Evil Genius 2 was fun, and I should have learned my lesson then that he's some kind of organic shill that loves the taste of apologies and 'hype' spewing out of his mouth.

I hate Total Warhammer III.

A hearty lol from me

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SirPhoebos posted:

Is the Immortal Empires map out yet?

Yeah, but only cool people have access to it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

WarEternal posted:

Total War games desperately need a way to play a campaign without actually interacting with a campaign map or dealing with town sieges and poo poo at all.

Like, an adventure mode where you progressively make decisions that branches or something. The campaign map is so loving boring to me.

I disagree, but you might want to check out that Reuniting Lost Kin mod for TWW2, short as it is. Sounds like you want Dark Omen tbh which criminally never got put on GOG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

A Perfect Twist posted:

As a long time player of Total War games and veteran of the nerd rage on forums, I consider myself a shareholder in Creative Assembly.

I would appreciate being treated like other major shareholders. As in, all internal board papers run by me for consultation and game updates directed via my inbox for sign-off before implementation.

If this is not done or my design ideas/revisions not at the very least given genuine consideration by the development team, then I do not see our partnership as fruitful into the future. I will cancel my preorder for the next tentpole title and remove Creative Assembly from my generous stewardship.

Good day to you, sirs and madames

Same, except I will not cancel my preorder but will just talk about it