Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Welcome to my second project idea that came up from watching far too much Lower Decks and DS9. The idea for this CYOA is taking up the role of a Junior Captain in a Federation like system spanning government, as it slowly but surely takes its place in the greater universe. Will we become a greatly decorated Admiral, or will we soon find ourselves Captaining a desk class vessel? Play to find out. This is going to be a bit experimental so I hope you'll bear with me through the rough patches. With all that said, let us begin.

Personal Log, Supplemental.

Space. The Final Frontier. It's been 3 years since I left the Academy to explore the wonders of deep space and every day I still find new marvels. As a fresh Ensign, I was assigned to the UEF Triazon, where I quickly rose through the ranks to Lieutenant and then Lieutenant Commander under the command of Captain Archer.

After several assignments, Archer named me his First Officer due to my;
A: Diplomatic Acumen
B: Tactical Genius
C: Engineering Expertise
D: Scientific Rigour

3 years from fresh Ensign to First Officer had me breaking many other previous records, being one of the youngest commissioned officers ever to take that post. I served faithfully and dutifully, as all "Union of Celestial State" Officers should, leading many assignments and impressing the command board with my diligence.

They were especially impressed by my work in:

A: The Dragomir Cluster.
A known pirate haven, potential member states often cited Dragomir pirate clans as a reason to not sign on to full signatory status. My work in the defence of Alskez Prime earned me a commendation.
B: The Trugos Expanse.
A dangerous, anomaly filled area of space straddling several frontier zones, fleet response times have always suffered due to the need to travel around that region of space. After several dedicated survey missions, with myself at their head, I created a series of sensor arrays and safe transport channels, through which UEF Ships and trade vessels still travel to this day.
C: Darcassia Prime.
The Darcassians were a highly isolationist, somewhat xenophobic multisystem state with several colony worlds scattered throughout sector FG8. Through my diplomatic efforts, a potential hostile power has since become a (partial) member of the Union, granting great stability to the region.

Alas, all good things come to an end. My career track, Union peace, the Triazon... Captain Archer.

While on frontier patrol, the Triazon came under attack by a swarm of several unknown vessels. The crew was experienced, and the old girl used to conflict. But the ambush, combined with the unknown capabilities of the vessels had you at a tactical disadvantage.

With shields down to critical, several hulls breached and moments away from annihilation, I came up with a dangerous plan.

A: Detonate the Liminal Drive!
Certain to destroy the Triazon and anything to close not properly shielded anyone expecting a detonation could set their deflector phase variance just right, letting them ride out the explosion away from the epicentre, like a surfer on a wave. With all hands to escape pods and runabouts, it would be a bumpy but relatively safe trip out of the combat zone with the explosion hopefully taking out all enemy ships.

B: Hack into enemy navigational data!
While impossible to do on most ships without dedicated Electronic Warfare Suites, the unknown vessels were curiously undefended against such attacks. Using my knowledge of science and engineering, I rigged up a virus bad enough to completely lock out navigation for several vessels. The ensuing collisions took out some of the ships, with more taken out by the rallying tactical staff as they were left sitting ducks.

As all hands prepared to abandon ship as I executed my desperate plan, I was overridden by Captain Archer. Forced into an evacuation vessel, Captain Archer nobly and valiantly went down with the Triazon following my plan, taking out many of the enemy and letting survivors flee the scene even as the Triazon was subsumed in a sub-quantum flare.

The plan worked though, and even though the Captain, the Ship and a third of all serving crewmen lost their lives the plan managed to save every other shipmate. After being picked up by Union vessels, we were taken to the safety of the Union Heartland. And from there, I've heard nothing. The last 6 months have been spent recovering in a dedicated hospital star-base. Stonewalled on all official channels, with orders to just sit in place and wait.

Traumatised, injured and with nothing to take up my time, I finally acquiesced to my doctor's prodding and got a hobby.

Write in Hobby suggestions.

Until this morning when I awoke to new orders.

“Attend Commodore Rosen on Deck 12 at 14:00 today to receive new orders.” I was so eager I got here far to early, with nothing to occupy my time but look out of the viewing screen into the great void, and contemplate my fate.

“Commander?” It's the Secretary for Commodore Rosen. “He is ready to see you now.” With one last look at the viewscreen, I focus not on the void of space but on your own partial reflection; Playing with my hair and straigtening my uniform with some final touches.

"How do I look?" I ask the secretary.

A B C D

Or suggest your own! Along with potential names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Character Sheet and Additional Material

In Construction

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Captains Log, Supplemental

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Captains Log, Supplemental Supplement

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
CAAD
We've gotten way into Darcassian serial dramas.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
CBBC

Our hobby: Quietly moving things belonging to others around, when nobody's looking, in the perfect way to both annoy and unsettle them.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ACAC

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
CBBD. Our new hobby is the Space Banjo. You're coming to my open mic night, yeah?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

BAA

Hobby: We spend our days in the HoloSim acting as the frontman for various rock bands throughout history. Because we will be a UEF Rockstar

Look:

Name: Cmdr. Jack Strongo

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Choice 1: What are we good at?
A: 1 B:1 C:3 D:0
We're an Engineer at heart.

Choice 2: What did we do?
A: 2 B:2 C:1
Tie between anti-piracy action and scanning space anomalies so good we got an award for it.
The coin toss has decided Trugos Expanse wins, making us a decent scientist with some scanning expertise.

Choice 3: WHAT DID WE DO!?!?
A:3 B:2
Detonating the Liminal Drive in 3... 2... 1...

Choice 4: Who are we?
A:0 B:0 C:2 D:2
Plus a dark horse entry with 1 vote.

The only name suggestion we've had is “Jack Strongo” from Roman Reigns, though it might well be Jacqueline Strongo if D end's up winning.
I'll leave name and portraits suggestions and voting open for now, as we'll have 1 more post of prep and set up before getting into our first mission. If there's no clear winner by then we'll leave it to the coin to decide.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
“Commander! It's good to see you. Please, At Ease.” Commodore Rosen greeted me with a low rumbling refrain that offered a hearty welcome. The matte fur that covered her face was expertly combed and styled, with a number of braided threads of hair drooping to below her shoulders. At 7 feet and a bit, the Har'Konne eschewed the traditional UEF uniform for the robed variation, designed specifically for larger species.

My aborted salute swiftly turned into a bone-crunching, arm wrenching handshake and I quickly found myself ushered onto a chair across from the Commodore and her desk.

“I understand it must have been frustrating to be stuck in a medical facility for 6 months. Losing a vessel in those circumstances was quite a shock to command and certain factions wanted to be assured of the... psychological stability of all hands. Despite some irregularities during recovery, their concerns have been squashed. Tell me, did you ever stop messing with the Doctors? Hiding and “misplacing” their equipment?”

More like they stopped complaining and without their reactions, most of the fun of doing it went away. But by then I was hip-deep into “Trails Under The Pale Moon”, the latest Darcassian hit. I managed to school my sheepish expression and confirm that such pranks were well and truly behind me.

“That's good to hear,” she smirks, before readying a pad with a few firm taps. “with that issue out of the way, and any concerns concerning your conduct aboard the Triazon put to bed, Command was left with a bit of a dilemma. How exactly do we award your sterling efforts? I think you will find our solution most complimentary.”

Handing over the pad, I swiftly scrolled the relevant details. It concerned a ship, the UEF Verminus, Babylon class. Your basic workhorse ship; almost any problem can be solved by throwing enough Babylon's at it, and serving aboard one is often referred to as Baby Duty, as most Ensigns will be assigned to one after coming out of the academy.

The Verminus itself served for a good 6 years, got into a bit of a tussle and was bought in for a complete retrofit. Some old crew have been transferred out to other vessels which is normal for a Babylon, but it retains a core of experienced personnel. The old Captain was reassigned somewhere in the Diplomatic Corps, with the new Captain was slated to be... my god.

“I'm being made a Captain? Of my own ship!?”

“Indeed you are... Captain.” Rosen pulled out a small, decorative case from the bowels of her desk and pops it open. Captains pips. For me.

I...
A: was elated!
“Ma'am! Thank you!” I bolted up, hand's slapping down on the desk. A Captaincy after just 3 years beat the previous record set by Captain Doselgrantz by half a decade. Basically unheard of in the UEF. I had just made history.
(This will make us more Eager)
B: was proud.
“Commodore, I'm honoured.” I said, truthfully and unreservedly. While a historic achievement to be sure, this was a simple matter of being recognised for my achievements. I had worked very hard for this and that effort was now paying off.
(This will make us more Proud)
C: was wary.
“Ma'am, this is highly irregular.” First Officer experience was counted when determining if someone was ready for the Captain's chair. But 3 years? Combined with the confinement to medical for the last half-year... something strange was going on.
(This will make us more Cautious)

While we aren't finished yet, character traits will later affect our performance and other factors while on assignment, giving us bonuses when acting in character while costing us if we diverge wildly from our personality. There will be more detail when character creation is complete by the next post.

“It's an honour well earned, Captain.” Rosen finishes matronly, rising and striding around the desk. “By the power invested in me by the Admiralty Board of the Union Expeditionary Forces, and the Council of the Union of Celestial States, I hereby bestow upon you the rank of Captain.” Finishing as she affixed my new pips to the collar of my uniform.

“We don't have time for a full ceremony, however. This promotion comes with expectations Captain, and we'll need you to start your duties straight away. The Verminus is ready for you in Space Dock and is undergoing the last finishing touches. Before I can let you go though, some administrative and... other matters need discussing.”

“Firstly, your new First Officer. The Verminus comes with one; he served under the previous Captain. However, there may be some interpersonal conflicts involved with your promotion to the position.”

I couldn't help but wince at the understatement. For the current First Officer to be snubbed for promotion was already an insult. To then be made to serve a Captain half his age? Unthinkable to most.

“I handpicked the new Head of Tactical but he has the experience needed to make a capable First Officer as well, with the current man going to Tactical if so. The choice is yours.”

A. Keep the current First Officer, have Rosen's man head Tactical.
B. Demote the First Officer to Tactical, have Rosen's man as your Number 1.

“There's also the matter of the rest of the Bridge Crew. There are enough capable officers to promote some section chiefs to the heads of their respective departments, but with the Triazon gone Command wanted to offer you the chance of bringing over someone you served with. You have your choice of Head of Medical, Science, or Engineering. The other positions will be promoted from Verminus crewmen.”

I of course chose:
A: Tundo Eraton, a decorated field surgeon, to head of medical.

Lieutenant Eraton is an inherited relic. When the Phason's integrated their system totally into the UCS Government their old Army and Navy were decommissioned. Many of their officers were then inducted into the UEF where they have served the Union to great acclaim. Aged and unlikely to make it to Captain before retiring, Tundo nevertheless has a deep well of tactical experience and practical hands-on knowledge which he was all too eager to share. Your first few months as First Officer would not have gone anywhere near as smoothly without his stories and advice to guide you.

B: Ceinos Boi, a civilian expert, to head of engineering.
The UEF is strictly, technically a military organisation (by necessity) but makes use of a wide array of civilian experts and aides to fill positions of technical importance. Ceinos came from a long line of fix-it men and he was commissioned personally by Captain Archer to serve at engineering after impressing you with some of the best repair work you've seen outside of a Space Dock.

C: Stonema 09173 “Johan”, a recently promoted Lieutenant, to head of science.
While my rise could be described as meteoric, I'm not the only prodigious talent in the UEF. Lieutenant Stonema applied to the Triazon personally after reading my work on the Trugos Expanse and has been working on his own thesis based on the work, which he hopes will eventually secure a place at Deep Space 78, one of the UEF's premier research institutions.

Rosen nodded approvingly at my choice and made notes on the transfer.

“Most of the Triazon survivors are on station awaiting reassignment. I'll certify the orders and they'll be moved over immediately.” This swiftness was somewhat odd but I didn't have time to dwell on it before Rosen called me over to the viewport.

“Computer, scope and enhance the UEF Verminus. Come over here Captain, and take a look at your new vessel.”

She was a beauty. Babylon's are a bit on the small side, with a crew somewhere between 5 and 6 hundred hands (with extra space for partners, children and additional civilian hands.) The complete retrofit had left her shiny and chrome. It almost felt like I could see myself reflected in her hull. But I didn't have long to appreciate her form.

“As soon as this briefing is complete, you're to take command of the Verminus and prepare to make way immediately to Sector Kilo AE7563 before day's end. I'll be frank with you Captain, Command and the Council are concerned. What happened to the Triazon was just the latest in a series of “negative incidents” to befall us. We are entering interesting times and are preparing as best we can for the uncertainty ahead.”

“Kilo Sector is on the frontier of our space but a range of diplomatic developments means it could soon be embroiled in rampant conflict, but could become the newest integrated sector with time and effort... or both. Let's not discount that possibility.” She guffaws darkly.

“Only 38% of Kilo Sector is classed as “Known Space” which makes Kilo something like the wild west, especially when one considers the political situation. Kilo itself is made up primarily of Planetary and System powers, with some rare Multi-system powers sprinkled throughout. The UCS maintains cordial relations with the majority, and trade and commerce flow mostly unobstructed.”

“Outside of the frontier is where most of our concerns lie. The Sauron Kingdom is a large, multi-system liminal state that follows a type of Feudal system. Counts rule planets with Barons serving under them, who swear fealty to Dukes who rule systems, who in turn serve a King. Relations with the previous regime were going well until the previous King suffered an ill time yachting incident. His son and heir, in turn, suffered an unfortunate accident involving some amount of explosives, with his son suffering from an unfortunate case of being ripped to shreds by a micro-asteroid storm.”

“The current king is an infant and the Kingdom is now being run by a regency council, but stability is decreasing every day and neutral powers in Kilo are beginning to feel the effects. A turbulent power so close to our frontier concerns Command; war for territorial gains has been shown throughout history as the best way to gain loyalty and prestige in such regimes and the UCS presents one of the biggest targets for any such a war. There's also the worry of the breakdown of Sauron Military Command; if a Baron wanted to start a spot of piracy to fund some extravagances, the lack of central authority means they could well do so unhindered.”

“The UEF remains committed to opposing any such action, and indeed our diplomats are in talks with border powers looking for protection and aid.”

“That's why you and a small task force of other ships are being deployed to Kilo immediately. We don't want to risk provoking a Sauron response which prevents us from deploying warships to the region, but our commitments mean more manpower is needed ASAP.”

“With all that in mind, our engineers have been making modifications and improvements to the Verminus' systems, and we've made some additions to the regular loadout that I think you will be quite pleased with.” She gestures back to the pad, and skimming down I quickly find the non-standard additions. She was right, I was most pleased.

quote:

Pick 3 non-standard additions to the Babylon Class Ship Verminus.

Medical/Science
Long Range Insertion Skip Pad
Skipping material and personnel between 2 locations is a relatively safe though costly activity, both in terms of energy use and processing power. These requirements increase exponentially if broadcast and receiver nodes aren't synced and it becomes near impossible to safely skip between a ship and a planetary surface if one doesn't have a working skip node. Advances of liminal field harmonics have led to a series of stable sub-routines which can potentially skip without the need for a receiver node, allowing objects and personnel to be skipped to far off locations relatively safely.
Note: while useful for skipping things on the ship away from it, it provides zero benefits for skipping things off of the ship onto it. UEF does not look kindly on Captains that strand their crew.
High Fidelity Biological Printer
Printing something as complex as an arm or a lung is far beyond the capabilities of most printers certified for starship use, which means most complex injuries require a stop at a starbase to fully deal with. This specially adapted high fidelity printer can create something as complex as a human lung ready for transplanting in as little as 18 hours, allowing medical staff to deal with most medical emergencies... eventually.

Engineering
Emergency Antimatter Reaction Chambers
While the energy provided by a liminal space core is, in theory, infinite, disruptions to the shielding or any sort of liminal wave interference can cause a field termination effect, as the disaster at Pike 953 shows. While all ships are now equipped with emergency nominal power supplies, specialised ARC's can keep a ship at full power capacity for up to 1 month after liminal field disruption, as well as provide additional power for emergency situations.
Vehicle Assembly and Repair Bay
Printing times of static objects depend on the atomic homogeneity of the material used along with the structures mechanical and electronic complexity; while you can just have an industrial printer spit out a run-about or scout-walker, you'll be waiting years for it to be completed. In many cases it's quicker and easier to build such things yourself and print out specific components for ease of construction. This specialised bay does just that, allowing for quick turnaround and modification of ship-based vehicles, and can even be used to help repair the ship in a pinch.

Tactical
Hard Light Barrier Projections (This will cost 2 picks. If choosing this you only get to choose one additional addition).
This technology is not based on liminal fields but upon something known to its inventors as “Bionic Wave Manipulation”. Very little is known about it's intricacies, and communication with Bulwark space (where the technology was developed) is limited, though this advanced defensive technology was one of a few that was exchanged with the UCS after a recent summit. It vastly outperforms most types of forcefield and magnetic shielding that UEF utilises; if the Triazon had had this equipped it would still be around today.
Liminal Field Driven Coil Gun
While the theory of liminal fields is complex, their use is rather simple. Speed something up to infinite velocity and then slow it back down again, but don't slow it down so fast that it loses all kinetic energy. This is how UEF ships reach speeds beyond C and the same basic principle can be used to accelerate projectiles to high speeds into just about anything you could think of. Mostly used as a weapon, it can be useful in situations where lasers don't have the damage potential and torpedos are to precious to waste, such as asteroid mining.

Ship Morale/Diplomacy
Dedicated Lounge, Bar and Restaurant area.
Given the vast array of member species in the UCS, the logistics involved with bringing fresh food suited for all tastes of all species proved infeasible very early on in the UEF. This was solved by using recombined nutrient paste, printed in specific arrays to mimic popular foods, with the only storage needed being vast vats of nutrient slime. Having a dedicated area serving actual food is a big morale boost for most ships, on top of having a place to simply relax. Areas such as this are seen as a necessity for any diplomatic engagements where dignitaries are likely to stay aboard the vessel (You don't make friends with nutrient slime).
Civilian Class Virtual-Deck
Most starships have a military-grade virtual-deck for training purposes; they make survival training easier to manage and keep up to date, are useful for maintaining skills as well as testing tactical formations. Having a dedicated civilian class deck would be seen by many as an unnecessary extravagance but there's no accounting for taste. As part of my physical therapy I regularly used a deck to simulate swimming and snow skiing; ploughing into a snow pile felt exactly like I thought it would.

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 14, 2022

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
ABC for those choices. For the ship additions, I think we'll need the long-range insertion skip pad, a vehicle assembly and repair bay, and of course that nice lounge, bar, and restaurant area, can't forget those

Roman Reigns posted:

Look:

Name: Cmdr. Jack Strongo
Seconding this name and look.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
C for the first choice.

Second choice: "Ma'am, to be frank, that's not a decision I can make without at least meeting both of the officers in question. Keep the status quo for now, I'll assess the candidates personally and let you know if the switch needs to be made or not."

A for the third choice. "Tundo has what I lack, years of hard-lived experience. Let him be the Falstaff to my Hal, bringing his sage wisdom on the adventures ahead."

For the ship upgrades, voting for the Biological Printer, Reaction Chambers and Lounge.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

A We're Eager for this sweet opportunity
A Let's not rock the boat, and I imagine Rosen's pick is specialized for tactical anyway
A Wisdom and experience rolled into one

I like Toaster's pick for the ship upgrades: long range insertion skip pad, vehicle assembly and repair bay, and lounge, bar, and restaurant. Feel like the first two are going to save our butt when we absolutely need it.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Choice 1: Our default emotional state?
A:2 B:0 C:1
We're an eager beaver.

Choice 2: Who's on first?
A:1 B:1
A tie, with a write-in for keeping the status quo... FOR NOW!!!
I'll take that to mean the current First Officer keeps his seat, though the option for reassignment remains.

“Keeping the status quo is sensible, but if you do end up making a change later the interpersonal issues will be all the worse for it. And we're not currently in a position where command crews can be transferred on and off the ship with ease. Keep that in mind Captain.” Commodore Rosen accepted my proposition but was clear in her warnings. If I couldn't keep the crew under control there would be problems.

Choice 3: Who's on second?
A:2 B:0 C:1
Tundo joins up with an easy majority.

As for our ships extras, Toasters picks of a long-range insertion skip pad, a vehicle assembly and repair bay, and a lounge, bar, and restaurant win.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“This is far beyond a standard load-out for a Babylon.” I couldn't help but mention. It was either Command showing a lot of trust to their newest and youngest Captain, or a worrying prediction of how the Kilo situation would likely progress.

The Commodore remained all business. “As soon as we finish, an aide will meet you outside this office. I want you packed and ready to embark within an hour Captain. Good luck, dismissed.”

I saluted and prepared to leave, but this meeting hadn't gone exactly as I had planned. The Captaincy, the Ship, all this was amazing news for me and my career, but 6 months on there was still just one thing on my mind.

I decided to:
A: Press the issue about the Triazon.

“Commodore, before I leave for Kilo... The ambushers, the ones that destroyed the Triazon. Captain Archer lost his life going down with the ship he loved, and I've still not heard any news about what the UEF plans to do.”
B: Leave the issue to rest.
The loss of the Triazon burned like a wound. But 6 months of therapy does a lot for a human. The future awaited and now was not the time to dwell on an unchangeable past. I saluted and made way to my berth, and my future as Captain.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“-nd 3... 2... 1... bounded field disengaged; skipping successful. Welcome aboard the UEF Verminius.” The technician gave me a lazy nod with both eyes still glued to the panel. “Hmm. Looks like your one of the last to board on this bay.” He fiddles with the controls, face set in a familiar frowning scowl; I've had that look wrangling a console many a time.

“Problem?” I lightly enquire, shifting around my heavy bags and Banjo case; that aide had helped me pack but I had had to hoof most of my stuff myself.

“Ahh, we've been in dock 5 weeks and we've had more activity in the last hour than we've had in all that time. The old girl doesn't like having to do so much work without a chance to warm up first. Just gonna make sure the conduits are aligned before moving on...” And he's off in his own little world. I can't help but smile remembering my own work as a technician.

Exiting the skip pad room, I come across my second crewman, hauling a crate of what looks like a mix of Ka'nar, Vodka, Olsen Broth and just a couple packs of death sticks.

“Isn't it against protocol to carry mind-altering substances on an active duty starship?” I tried to start firm, but before I could get anywhere further the Ensign shut me down, hard.

“Oh well why don't you snitch me out to the Captain then, loooooooooser!” Juggling the crate into 1 arm, she gives me the L salute with the other, blowing a raspberry as she sauntered off.

Before I had the chance to do anything else, my comm's pinged. “Captain Strongo,” it began in its synthesised voice. “the First Officer requests your presence in the ready room to finalise hand over of Command.”

“Acknowledged. Path me and let him know I'm on my way.” It was good to walk aboard a ship again, and although I could probably navigate my own way to the ready room on something as small as a Babylon there was no sense adding any more administrative issues than there already were.

Meeting other members of the crew was a lot more pleasant, if brief, as I made my way through the decks and hallways. When Rosen said a complete retrofit, she meant complete. It was like she was laid down yesterday. New was good of course, but it was impossible to totally standardise the highly complex electronics and components that made up a starships innards and new ships always faced a few teething problems as the circuitry settled and the engineers grumbled. Something to keep in mind. But not right now, as I was at last at my new ready room. I took a moment to catch my breath, and entered.

“Ah, Captain Strongo.” Current Acting First Officer, Commander Motilier Petain. The man whose job and seat I stole. With a few clicks of his comms unit, both our devices blinked and vibrated busily. “Command of the Verminus is now yours... Captain.” His tone is not quite cold, but it's a lot less warm than my own welcome to first officership by Captain Archer. Then again, I was the Captain now.

“Happy to be aboard; she's a fine ship, like new.”

“Yes, she's a fine vessel, with a fine crew despite some recent... disciplinary issues. We've been in port for the past 5 weeks with orders to wait and hold and some of the Ensigns managed to get themselves into mischief. Nothing beyond intermittent horseplay but I did not have the authority to institute disciplinary actions without say so from my” he grits his teeth subtlety “Captain.” He managed to finish breezily at least. “I suspect most issues will resolve themselves when we are finally able to make way. To that end, I have prepared a small ceremony.”

He turns, and I am presented with a fine manicured bottle Drakaris Red; not the rarest of wines, but certainly one of the finer ones. “The previous Captain welcomed me with a toast of this very vintage, and I thought it only appropriate that I welcome you with it in turn. A toast?”

I wasn't just swinging my new importance around with the Ensign earlier. Official policy is that active starships are dry starships. After all, when a red alert comes everyone goes to station, and surviving an ambush shouldn't be up to whether or not the stag do the night previous went on longer than expected.

On the other hand, it was very rare for that to be totally enforced; ambassadors expected to be dined AND wined, celebrations usually required a bit of lubrication and god forbid you ban alcohol totally on a Troy or Uruk class; long-range exploration vessels which regularly went years without seeing a friendly port. They say the last Captain that tried faced a mutiny.

I decided to:
A: Accept the toast

“Thank you Commander. It's an honour.” I decided to take the peace offering in the spirit that it was given, and joined Petain in a small toast.
B: Refuse the toast
“A Captain on active duty should avoid substances that could leave his judgements impaired.” I responded archly to Petain's offer, not wanting to make a mistake on my very first day.

“Your command and bridge crew have been settling in and I've received no word on any issues beyond the usual hiccups. Now that you've officially taken command, anything of that nature will be routed to you. Your initial staff meeting was scheduled as soon as you boarded, and the heads are now gathering in your board room. There is just one small matter to take care of. The new lounge area. It's already being used by the crew, but it has yet to be named. Such is the Captains prerogative. Once you've picked one I'll have engineering print out the nameplates.”

A: Name it yourself (if you pick this, suggest the name you want to use)
B: Let the crewman vote (If you pick this I'll have to come up with some terrible pun or reference.)

No time to unpack then. I dropped most of my gear except for the banjo; I'd be waiting at least a day for a replacement to print out if it became damaged at all. With nary 10 minutes between boarding and my first command meeting it was time for my first official duty; meeting the bridge crew.

I gazed across faces both familiar and unfamiliar, the heads milling about and introducing themselves awkwardly; some were as new to their positions as I was. But my eyes soon drifted toward an old friend.

“Tundo!” I couldn't help but smile in the presence of my old friend. My attempted handshake was aborted as it quickly became a bone shaking hug from the ancient Phason.

“Hor'tum. It is good you are well.” Understated for most people, for Tundo Eraton this was near exuberance.

“How's the new department; everything up to your standards?”
“The crewmen are inexperienced. They will need to be taught. I have experience in such matters.” He nods sagely but I have no time to catch up. The other newest member of the Verminius had caught my attention.

“Captain!” Seth Vox, my new head of tactical greeted me with a hearty clap on the back, with warm eyes and a smile that was all teeth. “First may I say, congratulations. The Commodore was very eager to sing your praises to me. I'm sure we'll do great work together.

“Happy to have you aboard Commander Vox.” Returning his greeting, I thought back to the briefing notes that had been transferred to me. As Captain I now had most of the service history of practically every crewmate under me. A huge amount of information to dig through and sort, but Mr Vox remained an enigma.

A 10 year veteran, Vox left the academy to board his first Babylon and was then transferred within a year to the UEF Thunder, a Constantinople class; a Warship. From there most of his service history was redacted (even Captains have to put the work in to see the need-to-know stuff) and the only thing I knew for certain was that he had served on 3 other ships in that time, all of them vessels of war, and had been Marine Commander on the last 2. I was fairly certain he was an intelligence officer of some kind, (why redact so much information otherwise?) but obviously I couldn't be certain.

“I have to admit Commodore Rosen didn't tell me much about you, but considering the timing of everything...” I trailed off and he returned a brusque laugh.

“Well, we'll have plenty of time for all of that later.”

That left the engineering and science departments. Both now headed by Verminius promotees, John Calmus for Engineering and Drusilla Polatho. Both had average service records and were well experienced with the ship and crew. The greetings were polite and the small talk manageable. This wouldn't be a full, official meeting; after all, we still hadn't actually left space dock. But there were still little details that needed seeing to and the weeks that Verminius was docked without a Captain for had left a rather impressive pile in my new inbox. Our meeting had been going for just about a half-hour, with Calmus and myself some of the most recent improvements to the ships energy distribution matrix when my comms pinged.

“Bridge to Captain, we're receiving hails from star dock. They're giving us new orders Sir.”

Well then. “Ladies, gentlemen. Shall we take this at the bridge?” I rose and the rest followed, everyone from the veterans to the newbies starting to thrum with anticipation. But there was one more tiny unexpected matter that I had to deal with.

When I got to the bridge, crewman milling about in preparation, I saw her. The Ensign from earlier manning the helm. My surprise was not anything compared to hers, eyes widening in shock and morphing into horrid realisation.

I decided to:
A: Make a big deal out of earlier

“Hmm. The First Officer did make mention of disciplinary issues earlier. What is your name, Ensign?” my voice dripped venomously and the helmsman was suddenly put on the spot.
B: Make a small deal out of earlier
“Helmsman. I hope you'll take to heart our discussion earlier, concerning protocol?” I lightly prodded.
C: Not make any deal out of earlier.
“Helmsman.” I nodded in acknowledgement.

“Message on screen.” The bridge lit up and the face of Commodore Rosen greeted us.

“Greetings Captain. No time to chat, your orders are being updated. You were slated to ship of to Kilo Base at shift turn, ferrying critical supplies before officially taking duty but we've just received a briefing update from the commander. They've just picked up a deep space distress call, originating almost directly along your planned navigational route. No other ships slated for Kilo are ready for launch and all ships there are already on assignment. We want you ready to intercept the distress call, before making way to Kilo under your own power. Details are being transferred now.”

“Ready and able Commodore!” The view screen clicked off, and the familiar noises of the bridge were belted out with much fanfare.

“Liminal field stable Captain.” “Beginning final embarkation protocols.” “-rew reporting to duty stati-” “Everything appears to be in order, Captain.” Petain appeared on my right side. “We can launch on your mark.”

After a long turbulent day, I slowly stalked to the big chair. My chair. A Captains chair. I sunk deep into my seat and took a long breath.

“Helmsman.”

A: “Mark!”
B: “Make it so!”
C: “Punch it!”
D: “Engage!”
E: “Allons-y!”
F: Write in your own.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Meanwhile and previously, on an unknown deck of a small Babylon class vessel.

An unnamed ensign kicks open the automated door of her berth, coming across her 2 bunkmates eagerly mulling through data pads.

“Uggh, you would not believe the jerk I just ran into. In the middle of transporting valuable cargo across the ship and some jumped up baby faced jerk with a stupid moustache comes up to me and says “IsN't It AgAiNsT pRoToCoL tO cArRy MiNd AlTeRiNg SuBsTaNcEs oN aN aCtIvE dUtY sTaRsHiP? Em nem nyeyer. I don't have a stick in the mud because it's currently up my rear end, weeeeerh” she waggles her fingers and waves her hands about, but her bunkmates are used to such theatrics.

Deciding on another approach, she stows her precious cargo and begins a new assault.

“I'm glad I went over though. A guy I know in the Commordores office? Owed me a favour for a crate of Kund Chocolate and got me the scoop on our new Captain. Two words; To. Tal. Bad. rear end. Get this right; middle of a pirate ambush and cool as a cucumber, manages to detonate his ships liminal drive core.”

“What? No way!” two voices ring out simultaneously, one mocking derision and the other glee.

“You can't detonate a drive core, that's not how they work. That's like saying he detonated the ships egg whisk.” the first of the pair dismisses without looking up, only to be hit by a pad.

“Oh yeah, then read that dummy!”

Two pairs of eyes scan through it with growing disbelief.

Now the last bunkmate chimes in. “Oh my god oh my god oh my god. How did he do that? To even manipulate the fields at all in that situation would have been... Oh my god look! Strongo! Jack Strongo! He gave that lecture at the academy on his work at Trugos, remember!” The third voice harangues the second, who falls into a tizzy.

“Does this mean we're finally going to do something? God it'll be good to finally get out there again.” The owner of this voice whisks around their small berth, desperately straightening everything out as if the ship might be denied it's turn of action if the merest knick knack was out of place.

“I got more bad news for you both!” The first ensign engages her final attack. “I'm on helm duty today, so I'm going to meet the Captain way ahead of the both of you.” The Ensigns voice drips with smugness, but there's no heat or cruelty to it. “Speaking of, I better get up there. Need to make a good first impression. Later loooooooosers!”

- - - - - - - - - -

And we're off to our first official mission, dealing with a distress call in the middle of deep space. Next update will be a little while, as I need to finalise some bits, set up a decent info sheet and write up a bit on how various things are gonna end up working.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
BAABB

Naming that lounge The Splaze. And now we've a ship to go where everyone's already gone before.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

BABCB!

The poor ensign is panicking enough as it is

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
BABC, "Hit it!".

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

BABC, "Hit it!".

Voting for this

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

BABC, "Hit it!".

This is fun.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Here's the current character sheet for our Captain, our Crew and our Ship. It's basically a butchered Cortex Prime with a little bit of Fate and PBTA thrown in. For the most part, the actual pure numbers aren't something you need to worry about; They're more to give everyone an idea of each things various capabilities.

When it comes to rolls I'll pick and choose what I think is most appropriate for each action, but we're mostly narrative first.

The basic mechanic involves rolling 2 different stats drawn from 2 different sets. Each set that gets used depends on what and where the action is taking place; An action of the ship uses Captains Roles and Ship Attributes, a Captain action uses Roles and the Captains Attributes. On top of this are any bonuses or maluses that have been built up over the course of events.

So for example, scanning a nebula for a lot runabout would rely on rolling the captains Scientist Role with the ships Systems Attribute, plus the bonus from the high frequency scanner we had the engineering department whip up, along with our own experience from the Trugos Expanse to analyse the information.

On the ground though, when punching our way out of a saloon on Wild West Planet #69265, we might use our Captains Tactical Role with his Vigour Attribute as a base, but since we've been learning Darcassian Jiu Jitsu and our good buddy Tundo is also here busting heads, our roll get's extras from those facts.

This is also highly experimental, so don't discount the possibility of a quantum tachyon stream totally rearranging the way the universe (and our character sheet) works.

Character Sheet
Captain Jack Strongo, of the UEF Verminius, Babylon Class

Very little is known about Captain Strongo having only recently took command of his own vessel. Despite an incredibly short career, he has been made Captain and transferred to Kilo Sector where he and his new team will boldy go, in the name of the Union of Celestial States!

Captain Roles
Every commissioned officer of the Union takes on certain roles aboard starships. As Captain you are expected to have a working knowledge of all of them.
D10 Engineer
Used for fixing, building and tinkering things, both on the ship and off. Need to repair an important sub-system? Need to build a moisture farm on a desert planet? Need to rig your laser to explode exactly as the Klong'In steps over it? Engineering is your key stat.
D8 Scientist
Used for the intricate, technical and theoretical parts of deep space exploration. When actively using sub-systems such as the scanners, comms or the skip pads, science is your ability to do it well under any condition. Is also your primary stat when it comes to medical care.
D6 Tactician
Whether manning the lasers or double-fist punching some bad guys, Tactical is the skill for fighting for truth, justice, and the Union way.
D6 Leader
The leadership skill. It takes a lot to keep a Starship running and operations is how you do it. Dealing with logistics, bureaucracy and anything that involves telling a bunch of dudes what to do in an orderly manner.
D4 Diplomat
Talking good and leaving an impression, whether cooling down a fistfight between Ensigns in the canteen, hob-nobbing with the delegates at the peace summit, or delivering the speech that resolves all your problems, Diplomacy is where it's at.

Captain Abilities
Outside of a Captains Roles, there are certain characteristics unique to them that determine how capable they are.
D6 Courage
When boldly going into the great unknown or when facing your enemy when you can see the whites of their eyes, such tasks call for the Courage of a Captain!
D8 Conviction
Sticking to the values of the Union despite great odds, keeping your cool under fire and delivering the one speech that solves all current ills relies on a Captains Conviction.
D4 Guile
Sometimes it's necessary to trick or deceive your opponent, whether they be a dangerous creature threatening your life or a hostile ambassador you didn't show due deference.
D10 Reason
Reason is called for when trying to puzzle out a solution to a tough engineering problem, or when trying to make others see it.
D6 Vigour
A Captain must always be in tip-top shape to fully withstand the rigours that come with space exploration. When your physical conditioning is bought into question, Vigour is what's rolled.

Ship Attributes
Ship attributes should be a bit more self explanatory then Captain Roles. Unlike Captain Roles, they can be directly targetted and damaged during the course of events, reducing their effectiveness until fixed.
(Unlike your own skills and attributes, it's difficult to modify the underlying attributes of a vessel. You'll more often rely on bonuses from additional equipment or from manoeuvrers and bonuses set up by bridge crew.)
D4 Armaments
Laser Banks, Missile Launch Sites, an armoured front for when it comes down to ramming speed, the Babylon isn't defenceless but it is by no means a War Vessel.
D6 Shields and Hull
A bit on the small side as far as most UEF ships go, the Verminius nevertheless has a perfectly adequate set of shields and hull plates.
D6 Crew
The lifeblood of any vessel, very few ships can get anywhere without a decent crew
-Eager to get underway
-Some discipline issues have piled up
D10 Systems
Scanners, tractor beams, skip pads, hanger bays; all essential inner workings of any vessel. As a workhorse, this is where the Verminius shines.
D8Engines