Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clown Depot
Feb 24, 2022
Hey everyone, I'm having fun playing Dark Souls 2! What's your favorite boss in that game? :sotw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clown Depot
Feb 24, 2022
My favorite boss is The Rotten! I really enjoy a monster that has the gimmick of being a bunch of different enemies all put together into one big thing!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Dark Souls 2 is the dark souls 2 of dark souls.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My favorite boss fight is Old Iron King because he's very difficult but the arena is nice and easy to move around in.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm in the minority when saying that Dark Souls 2: SotFS is my favorite souls game. It has great weapon variety, and the levels are all awesomely designed too, even though the continuity can make no sense sometimes.

Heide's Tower of Flame is my favorite location in any Souls game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Dark Souls 2 has some of the prettiest areas. It's also the game that reminds me the most of Kings Field Ancient City. The thing I hate the most about it is that the best long sword is locked behind sun medals.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

blackguy32 posted:

Dark Souls 2 has some of the prettiest areas. It's also the game that reminds me the most of Kings Field Ancient City. The thing I hate the most about it is that the best long sword is locked behind sun medals.

I'm definitely going to start a new game of King's Field The Ancient City once I've played through Elden Ring a few times. Love that game. Probably my favorite on the PS2.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
dark souls 2 is the best one

thank you

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Relax Or DIE posted:

thank you

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Relax Or DIE posted:

thank you

Clown Depot
Feb 24, 2022

christmas boots posted:

My favorite boss fight is Old Iron King because he's very difficult but the arena is nice and easy to move around in.

I love the Old Iron King! He was the first boss where I really started to "get" the game, and so it was a really satisfying fight for me.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
After playing Dark Souls for 400 hours i was excited to jump into Dark Souls 2 and

i wasn't excited for long

i only got to or slightly past the dumb three-way boss fight before dropping this game with a vague but powerful sense of disappointment in the game and also myself, but mostly the game.

Because i like Zullie videos and Dark Souls is one of my favorite video games of all time, i booted up the SotFS version i've had forever and never played, to give Dark Souls 2 another shot after 8 years. And man. It still almost exactly as i remembered it.

Why is the game so loving ugly. Holy moly. Dark Souls was jank, but it wasn't this ugly. I looked down from some ramparts in the first Forest area and i couldn't even make out the topology of the ground below me, only after dropping all the way down did it become clear that the item shiny was actually on an unreachable legde above because everything looks like a samey soup

Why does the healing suck so much. How the gently caress do you only get like two or three heals for the first ten hours of game

Why does leveling up feel like shooting nerf darts at a wall. The leveling up was hella opaque in Dark Souls, too, but it didn't feel this bad

Why did they change so many weapon movesets from the first one for the worse. What did they do to my poor boy Zweihander

What the gently caress did they do to backstab and riposte?? They were gaming nirvana in DS1, the poof, the NOISE, the animation lock. Why did they think it was a necessary change to make backstabs able to miss. And i actually had to google how to riposte someone because despite practising parries for an hour or so, i couldn't get a single riposte. You actually just have to stand around and twiddle your thumbs for a second or two to wait for your enemy to clumsily fall on their rear end before you can get your finisher? WHAT THE F-

Dingy set is NG+ exclusive? Could you kindly just gently caress off?

I remembered going to Heide very early 8 years ago but just couldn't find a way to open the doors in SotFS, so i continued for about 3 other areas before finally giving up and asking google, and even though i then knew exactly what to look for, it still took me a minute to find the chain to pull because GOOD LORD this game looks like rear end

Cool rat covenant you have there. And the bell keeper thing and stuff. All the emphasis on more online player interaction and PvP and whatnot doesn't really do much for the game when the servers are down rn for an indeterminate amount of time, i gotta say

The Gutter is actually kinda an okay send-up to Blighttown, even maybe a slightly improved version of it since you can make your own waypoints instead of going for ladder beacons like in DS1. Probably the one area i liked. Mapping it out, "conquering" it and being able to navigate it with natural ease at the end felt very good.

Did i mention the game looks like rear end yet

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Shrine of Amana and gently caress whoever designed it

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 8, 2022

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I remember two days ago when i reached Iron Keep and slowly slugged my way through
(man these knights do be fast)
(should've improved an armor with more fire resist, flash sweat doesn't hold for long)

and decided to skip the Smelter Demon for a bit, mostly because through cultural osmosis i picked up the notion that he's probably the worst and/or hardest boss in the game. (I later found out he's easy and did it first try)

So i continued on to the fun "precarious platforms suspended over molten lava" bit. I had fun dipping one of said platforms into lava and watch the enemies on it sizzle, i had less fun when i tried to circle one of the turtle dudes rushing me and a great bow rear end in a top hat sniping me from offscreen, and then the platform i was walking on just... flipped and gave way under me, delivering me unto a charring death. And i had to walk all the way from the first bonfire, through all 15 knights and 6 bow snipers, back to platform land.
And then it loving happened again in exactly the same way, me trying to zone the turtle dude and suddenly myground just gave way below me, dropping exactly the one platform i stand on away to insta-kill me.
When i got back to that room 10 minutes later, i suspected one of the archer NPC assholes around the edge of the room to like, pull a wall switch or something to drop me with impeccable timing, but didn't find anything except for more lava traps waiting for me.

It took me another two deaths until i finally noticed the tiny pressure switches on the thin metal border of the platforms that kept giving way to my untimely demise, and figured out that i had triggered the platforms myself, when walking onto them backwards, focused on my enemy instead of my feet.

I liked that a lot, that was a very Dark Souls moment.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought the flooded city was a real cool area, kinda quit after finishing the Lost Bastile. I hear that a DLC rebalances the game to make it better, not really interested in finding that out.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

blackguy32 posted:

It's also the game that reminds me the most of Kings Field Ancient City.

Allegedly, DS2 was intentionally made to be a bit of a callback to Kings Field, so it checks out.

As far as bosses go, the build-up and payoff of everything about the Burnt Ivory King fight is just :discourse:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
OP it's not good to lie.

Also the best DS2 boss is Ancient Dragon. It's basically From Software : The Boss. Hope u like learning where and when random hitboxes are and memorizing every animation by the way a leg twitches.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Starting to mop up the DLC areas, now that i only have the last King's door left with what i assume is the last area / boss behind it. I can feel fatigue setting in. I'll probably have to force myself to finish this.

Was expecting to eventually find a "groove" but the game never got better. Well, unless you count "anything that comes after Shrine of Amana" because that was certainly the lowest point in the game and everything else is better by comparison. But i'm kinda done with every other bonfire being behind an illusory wall (which is just insanely great when you're playing while the Dark Souls servers are down indefinitely!!!) and with entire rooms of spitting stone statues you have to meticulously and carefully clean out for 15 minutes to safely traverse a room and with boss fights featuring >2 enemies/summons at the same time that are solely built for coop.
And i'm at what feels like the end of the game and still don't really know what i'm doing or why, or what the hell a Scholar of the First Sin even is!

I can't tell you anything about any area of the game because none of them were memorable in any way, not counting Majula because you go there like a hundred times, and maybe Heide Tower but that might just be because i remember grinding that until the enemies stopped spawning in my first go 8 years ago.
I certainly remember The Gutter cause it was the best level in the game so far, but due to the nature of its design, i can't really describe or say anything about it either, i navigate it entirely by feel :v:
I guess technically Shrine of Amana is memorable, but only in the worst way possible.

I'm trying to remember some areas i went through but the only thing that comes up is like a muddy green blotch for the Forest of Giants, a muddy green blotch with heavy fog for the other forest in the game, dark endless corridoors and a dumb bossfight for the Bastille, i remember nothing about the Copse except a big canyon (not even the boss), ... there's the lava fortress which would have been okay except for the immensely dumb gimmick of having lava running in a game without the Charred Orange Ring. Hm. I could've sworn there were more area "branches", since that only really accounts for 2 of the 4 old souls, but nothing even comes to mind.

The coliseum was kinda cool, but not even really a "zone", just one boss fight and one covenant NPC and that's it.

Where's all the cool zone designs people talk about in the game?? Don't tell me they put all of them behind the last King's door somehow and left none for the rest of the game

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dark Souls 2 is ok to decent.

It has the best build variety, PvP, NG+ mechanics and arguably DLC of the trilogy. It also gets brownie points because people try to play it like Dark Souls 1 by drawing out one enemy at a time, locking on to them and only using Estus which is slow and has few charges compared to dodging and weaving between enemies, getting a few hits in and using your near unlimited stash of life gems to heal you through the encounter and then they whine that they're getting owned.

I don't think its that much worse than the first game, while it's never fantastic like the first game is no area, not even the Shrine of Amana is as complete dogshit as Dark Souls 1's second half and people tend to have rose tinted goggles about it.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
I love Dark Souls 2 and it's my least favourite in the series. Best PVP by miles.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember any area in DS1 that was as aggravating as Amana. Even the almost objectively worst area in DS1, Lost Izalith or w/e lava town was called, was at best just "meh, this could've been good instead" since you had an effective way to traverse lava, could mostly just ignore the butts, the enemies weren't much of a problem and didn't snipe at you and the boss is dumb but at least has an easy and reliable cheese strat via quitting out.

If anything, i'd compare Amana to Tomb of the Giants: Visibility is poo poo, you run the risk of falling to your instant death every other step, and to get slightly better visibility, you have to sacrifice one of your hand slots.
BUT: ToG was mercifully short, only had a few enemies snipe at you from afar and even then you had to be pretty close to them, enemy aggro range was so low that you could actually stand in front of them just in UGS slam range and they still wouldn't attack you, and the visibility gimmick was only for the first half/two-thirds.
ON THE OTHER HAND: Amana not just makes you watch your step, it also impedes your mobility, hides enemies in the water, also constantly has multiple other enemies snipe you from half-way across the level while struggling with mobility and hidden enemies, and goes on for waaay too long. To top it off, while the boss is leagues better than Bed of Chaos, it's probably (haven't seen all of them yet) the most annoying boss in DS2 since it can and will just go invulnerable at will with dangerous and at best wonky-to-hit weak spots.

One of them is much fresher in my mind than the other, but drat

Anyway,

Did the first(?) DLC, sunken crown i think, and it was actually pretty okay. Got stuck and actually had to google how to progress, since there was no prompt or indication that you'd have to hit the weird triangle posts to do something, since nothing indicated them as important and they're unlike anything else in the game. Not even a developer-note in front of one or something (still no DS servers, so no player notes). After that it was pretty smooth sailing, aside from another (luckily optional?) three-way boss fight that's obvious co-op bait. (gently caress the statue rooms thooo)
It would've been good, even, but my reception is probably being dampened by my impending burn-out.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I made an account to summon on Fume Knight just to watch summons die. That boss fucks people up. There's was a bonfire ascetic in the area that respawns when you use it so you can keep fighting the boss on higher intensity in the rare event your summons don't die.

Splitting the playerbase with full-price DLC was a lovely, unforgivable sin

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dark Souls 2 is better than Elden Ring and I think my favorite boss fight in it is the scorpion man because I spent a lot of time as a phantom leading people through the ruins to where you fight him, and helping them kill him, so it's sentimental.

(Elden Ring is very good but Dark Souls 2 is just even better, it is peak Fromsoft)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 12, 2022

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

DS2 allowed the best punching builds and therefore is the best Dark Souls.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

TheHoosier posted:

DS2 allowed the best punching builds and therefore is the best Dark Souls.

Was going to post this. Being a bareknuckle boxer in a butterfly skirt and wings was so good

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

deep dish peat moss posted:

Dark Souls 2 is better than Elden Ring and I think my favorite boss fight in it is the scorpion man because I spent a lot of time as a phantom leading people through the ruins to where you fight him, and helping them kill him, so it's sentimental.

(Elden Ring is very good but Dark Souls 2 is just even better, it is peak Fromsoft)

Imagine being this stupid.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Elden Ring is not even in their top three games, let alone better than Dark Souls 2.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Nah if you want peak stupid go to resetera where they condemn Elden Ring's world while praising pokemon sword's barren hallway of a game world.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
King's Field 4 is still the best From Software game.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010
More like Dung Eater 2.

Orv
May 4, 2011
All Fromsoft RPGs are good friends.

Except Bloodborne.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Is that even a boss? I think i just talked to him, Quelana-style, and got some loot from him for killing a spider,

i think i even summoned him as a white phantom at some point

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Dark Souls 2 feels less like a world and more like a gauntlet. And your weapons go CLINK CLINK against the floor every time you swing them.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How the gently caress did square deadzones get into a game?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

this guy's spicy...

but he's not wrong

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I think the differences in quality and tone between every from soft game since Demon's Souls (excepting sekiro, which is different), are so minimal that the one that stands out as the best or favourite probably has more to do with the time in your life you played them, and what order you played the games in.

I can see why people just coming into Elden Ring fresh might say it's the best game ever, and it's good, but it's not really a tier above DS2. It's a matter of a few degrees, if anything. By the time I was done with DS2, though, I had a higher opinion of it than I did with Elden Ring.

Then again, I ended up liking DS2 a lot because I hadn't played a souls in a while and all I'd ever heard was how bad it is. Then I discover, okay it's maybe a bit weird, but it's about 95% there to being a standard souls game and the weird aspects are things I actually like. So there's the life circumstances and order thing coming in.

They're all basically the same thing.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'd like to see a deeper dive in the development of Dark Souls 2 honestly. All I know is that the original director hosed up and barely gave any direction on the game and the much touted lighting engine didn't work on PS3 and 360, so Yui Tanimura came in late in development and tried to stitch the game into a playable state with only six months left into the two year development deadline Namco Bandai gave them. An act which has made him reviled amongst the Soulsborne community because he's not Hidetaka Miyazaki and made him and his team forever dubbed the "B-Team" at From Software.

Even though Tanimura was co-director alongside Miyazaki for Dark Souls 3 and Elden Ring and there is more familiar names from Dark Souls 2 in the credits of those game than for Bloodborne and Sekiro.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sanctum posted:

Splitting the playerbase with full-price DLC was a lovely, unforgivable sin

They let you get summoned into the co-op areas even if you didn't own the DLCs, though, which was kind of a cool idea. Shame the developer note about it is completely mangled nonsense and the co-op areas aren't very good. :(

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Dark souls 2 is for buffoons.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Majula is one of the best locations in all Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dark Souls 2 is good. Bloodborne is bad.