Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I love the side stories and the main stories

I just could not get into the "not wanting to tell your adopted kid that their nanny died" episode. everyone i know heard about death and sex by osmosis before they have memory, so there was never a "the talk"

idk it was too american for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Although I like the side stories I think having four out of ten episodes not have the main characters (who are so drat good and easy to miss) is one too many. I would maybe prefer they had jettisoned the nanny one in favour of another episode with the main crew.

No spoilers but this latest one was great, probably my favourite side story since the premiere and similarly uncomfortable to the reparations one while hanging together better as an episode overall and obv being hilarious too

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
ugh, black and white, yes I'm a baby.

e: omg the quiz was so good, Clarence Thomas, lmao.

OK that episode was real good.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 13, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

I just could not get into the "not wanting to tell your adopted kid that their nanny died" episode. everyone i know heard about death and sex by osmosis before they have memory, so there was never a "the talk"

that one choked me up a few times, idk why, I've never had a nanny like that, or had anyone with that level of parent die yet. i also thought the dichotomy between this woman being a better mother to this kid and other white kids but leaving her bio kids feeling neglected was interesting and uncomfortable, which is where I like this show best.

the paper boi mushroom tea episode was one of my fav boiband eps so far

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's been a lot of really blunt social commentary in this season and I think about 80% of it has been really good, but the other 20% was kind of "like, ehh sure whatever" to me. Like they've come up with a solid premise but feel the need to land on a conclusion in the end (which imo isn't necessary) and sometimes the conclusion doesn't land for me.

Either way it's still been a really interesting and different season of TV that is often pretty brilliant. I'm not sure if it quite hits the levels of season 2 , but it's pretty ballsy to basically make Atlanta into "whatever the hell we feel like making" which I respect.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 13, 2022

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Not the number 1 fan of the last episode, but it had its moments.

The other guy also showing up with a flamethrower lol "you walked this way with that poo poo assembled"

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the non profit roundtable scene was pretty silly but I have no experience in that kind of thing so idk

really enjoyed the reparations episode, had really good vibes at the end of it

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

everyone's gonna be so mad when next week is another anthology episode

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
That was a loving wonderful episode of television.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

RandomBlue posted:

e: omg the quiz was so good, Clarence Thomas, lmao.
Seriously died at that one, drat lol. Great ep.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

Everything about those parents was gross, I don't think it was meant to be a relatable moment at all. They didn't even know how to like, touch their son to comfort him, they were creepy business ghouls who had basically foisted all their parenting work off on someone who they didn't respect or care about.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think that is why a lot of the morality tale stuff hasn't resonated with me. I don't think it's bad or even off base. I've actually enjoyed every episode quite a bit. It's undeniably such a well made show on multiple levels. But it feels like Donald Glover is just super fed up with rich white people, which is totally understandable but his whole perspective on life is being this dude who has been insanely successful and connected since he was in his 20's and the people he is fed up with are completely alien to me. I'm just sort of left feeling like I'm not the target audience at times. I can't really introspect on that poo poo because I've never known anyone who has had a nanny in my life. And I thought the level of vitriol aimed at a white lesbian couple adopting a black kid was straight up kind of lovely (although pretty funny at times tbh).

It feels like this whole season wants upper middle class NPR fart huffers to do some self examination which is cool but it's this perspective on life only a guy way richer than me could have tbh. I'm not figuring out how to scam billionaires I'm just trying to pay my rent in my 1 BR apt, so I kind of feel like "whatever" when the show hits me over the head with a brick with some morality. And the type of people the show has been lambasting just get off on that poo poo while changing nothing anyways.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

And I thought the level of vitriol aimed at a white lesbian couple adopting a black kid was straight up kind of lovely (although pretty funny at times tbh).

FYI that one was in reference to a real event

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

holy poo poo :wtc:

Not sure how I never even heard about that.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

veni veni veni posted:

I think that is why a lot of the morality tale stuff hasn't resonated with me. I don't think it's bad or even off base. I've actually enjoyed every episode quite a bit. It's undeniably such a well made show on multiple levels. But it feels like Donald Glover is just super fed up with rich white people, which is totally understandable but his whole perspective on life is being this dude who has been insanely successful and connected since he was in his 20's and the people he is fed up with are completely alien to me. I'm just sort of left feeling like I'm not the target audience at times. I can't really introspect on that poo poo because I've never known anyone who has had a nanny in my life. And I thought the level of vitriol aimed at a white lesbian couple adopting a black kid was straight up kind of lovely (although pretty funny at times tbh).

It feels like this whole season wants upper middle class NPR fart huffers to do some self examination which is cool but it's this perspective on life only a guy way richer than me could have tbh. I'm not figuring out how to scam billionaires I'm just trying to pay my rent in my 1 BR apt, so I kind of feel like "whatever" when the show hits me over the head with a brick with some morality. And the type of people the show has been lambasting just get off on that poo poo while changing nothing anyways.

I think it would have been funnier if Don Glover played the main character of the latest episode.

Also not sure if this is on purpose but none of the black folks from Trini 2 De Bone would be considered 'Black' by Robert S Lee.

Also, he literally has those kids shucking and jiving.

TwoDayLife fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 17, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He’d probably say they’re Latino, who are also treated as black in white culture, but like the light skin dude said, they get to pull from a known cultural background, something black America had robbed from them, Africans who were enslaved in the Spanish and French parts of the new world were robbed of that as well, but then you get into the area of adopted culture and the American ideology in regards to that.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 17, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I wasn't sure what to make of that episode until the final frame which was just absolutely loving incredible :lol:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

tonight is the finale for this very fine season of this stellar show and I hope everyone has a happy and satisfying time. there's a trailer out that puts the focus on Van, so I wonder how much time we even spend with Paperboi/Earn/Darius

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
with any luck this is just a Van story and doesn't explain anything about her behaviour all season

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Van has officially checked out. I wonder what trouble she’s going to get other people into this episode

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

veni veni veni posted:

Been lurking ITT until I can catch up on the most recent season but want to offer some thoughts on this perspective.

Specifically want to focus on the "trini to da bone" episode with the affluent white family and their deceased Afro-Caribbean nanny. The white family parodied in that episode is probably on the more affluent end of the class spectrum, given that they live in (own?) a brownstone, the parents seem to have high level careers, etc. However, having an Afro-Caribbean nanny in New York City is not reserved for only the rich. In NYC (and other urban centers) lots of middle class and/or working class white people have nannies who come from racial or ethnic minorities (often with various levels of immigration status, IYKWIM), and treat them in much the same way as was depicted in that episode. Even if you don't think you know anyone who had a nanny in that specific way (all day, on-hand child care), you would be surprised how many people in your orbit maybe have something approximating that, and what the dynamics of those relationships are. You almost certainly know someone who has a child in daycare, where "94 percent of child care workers are female, and 40 percent are people of color, and these child care workers are heavily impacted by racial inequalities and sexism — including inequities exacerbated by the pandemic. Black child care providers earn an average of 78 cents less per hour than their White counterparts, even when controlling for education level" (https://edtrust.org/press-release/black-latina-child-care-providers-face-heaviest-burden-in-struggling-industry/). No one is as distant from these issues as they think, nor the various structural and systemic influences that shape them.

True story: At my job one of my team members that works for me is a decidedly middle class white woman in her 30s. She has a elderly (50s or so) Afro-Caribbean nanny that she pays to come watch her kids every day while she works. Two weeks ago her nanny was arrested by the NYPD for going through an emergency exit door in the subway (something that literally everyone does if you've ridden the NYC subway more than a handful of times). The police detained her and took her in to be arrested even though she offered to pay the fare (as did many bystanders who watched all this happen) - and there is some evidence to suggest that they only arrested her so that it could be a training experience for a new officer to see how the process works. There is also some evidence that the particular stop she was traveling to, the one closet to my colleague's home, has been getting more police attention due to complaints from residents and local advocates about "safety" and "quality of life" concerns. My colleague was understandably upset about this example of obviously racist policing and about the potential harm that could've come to her nanny - but until she found out about the particular circumstances her primary concern was the disruption of her work day and not getting full value out of the arrangement, however temporarily. Last I heard, the entire group chat/facebook group/mommy blog network that my colleague is a part of - consisting of mostly middle or upper middle class white women - is now up in arms at the risks posed if someone one of their nannies was to get detained. I'll leave it to you to imagine what those conversations might sound like.

The frame of this season as I understand it has been Alfred, Earn, and the gang experiencing a lot of things through exposure to a certain demographic of affluent white people. It would be a mistake, I think, to assume that is being driven by Donald Glover being fed up with only rich white people. In this season, as in the other seasons to some extent, the influence for these sort of episodes or plotlines is being fed up with white people (or rather white cultural norms, which in turn influence drat near everything about society) in general, but using affluent white people as the specific examples allows an average white middle class viewer to distance themselves from the uncomfortable parts (mostly).

Not going to defend Donald Glover, or even assert that he is the best person to be telling these kinds of stories. I've gone from being a fan to really shying away from his stuff to now being somewhere in the middle of recognizing that the guy is talented and can do great work but also has a lot of poo poo that he needs to work through rather than externalizing it out into the world, for various reasons. That said, even if he is rich and connected and all that at this point in his life, he is still a Black person who grew up fairly middle class IIRC and probably has a lot of family who are still in that strata with all the attendant stressors and pressures. And being rich, while definitely preferable to the alternatives, only goes so far to shield any Black person (or other minority) from all the various perils and pitfalls that one might encounter as a result of racial or ethnic identity.

All of that to say, the show has never been about getting "upper middle class NPR fart huffers to do some self examination" in those episodes where white people are a central part of the plot. It is pretty clearly, IMO, about getting white people of all extractions, classes, etc to think about why any average white person feels so separated from the portrayals of behavior that is either oblivious to (unintentionally or intentionally), passively aligned with, or sometimes even explicitly supportive of a clearly hosed up dynamic in how race influences nearly every facet of life for every person in this country (and the planet, tbh, which is maybe why this season is set mostly in Europe).

TL;DR: You are the target audience, and it's not your fault that the message or intent behind the show maybe isn't connecting as well as it should, but you should maybe think about why or how economic status has been used as a mechanism for middle or working class white people to distance themselves from the more overtly racist or discriminatory behaviors of the affluent and rich, even as they benefit from the same structural and systemic forces based on all manners of oppression and discrimination but particularly in the US context race more than anything else. Like, for at least a century. WEB DuBois was writing about this stuff. Just some food for thought.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 20, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Mameluke posted:

with any luck this is just a Van story and doesn't explain anything about her behaviour all season

I don't think they need to explain her behavior, the cause seems pretty obvious to me. basically she followed the rules and did everything right in her life and she ends up a single mom with lovely career prospects, meanwhile earn has basically been kind of bumbling through life and he and his friends fall backwards into money because of his attachment to paper boi. it probably broke her brain. I don't understand the casual dismissal of Lotte tho, but neither parent seems to care about that baby

there does seem to be a motif of mothers not caring for their children this season, at least overtly. three slaps, mom kicked the kid out, in Trini 2 de bone the nanny's kids lamented her neglecting them at the funeral. not sure if its intentional or what

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 19, 2022

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm flying home tonight and was just reminded the season finale is on during one of the flights. I just went to FX On Demand to try to catch up only to find Ep. 9 is also a derail, which makes me feel like I can go back and catch it and Trini 2 De Bone later.

Is the fact that we only got 6 episodes featuring the main cast due to a combination of COVID and filming in Europe, or is Don Glover phoning it in to get across the finish line so he can do stuff he'd rather do? S3 has had its moments, but this is not the same show I became enamored with the first two seasons and I'm a little disappointed my interest in finishing the show has plummeted.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

However, having an Afro-Caribbean nanny in New York City is not reserved for only the rich. In NYC (and other urban centers) lots of middle class and/or working class white people have nannies who come from racial or ethnic minorities (often with various levels of immigration status, IYKWIM),

I'm confused -- how is it possible to be working class and also afford a full time, "on hand" nanny? Surely that's a contradiction in some way.

That said I get the overall point that you're making about other ways in which minorities are exploited to benefit the majority and the way this can happen regardless of the class of the exploiting party, and I agree with it.

However, at the same time I'm with veni veni veni on their argument -- a lot of these stories seem specifically aimed at challenging the assumptions of rich white American audiences. If you're not one, or all three, of those things, and happen to have very little familiarity with the axiomatic assumptions of that strata, then something like trini 2 da bone is only ever going to connect intellectually.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

what the heck van

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
I didn't think they could top the Liam Neeson cameo.

I was wrong.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Problematic Pigeon posted:

I didn't think they could top the Liam Neeson cameo.

I was wrong.

what the heck Alexander

episode been crazy so far

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

idk. I wasn't into that really. couple of nice scenes

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

hey there was more

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man I really loved how loving surreal that episode got, I love the reveal that she did all this poo poo in like 2 weeks.

Also, after the credits who was the guy in the photo? The "other" Earnest Marks? The face seemed familiar but I couldn't place it, or figure out the significance of that as an end of season moment.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Jerusalem posted:

Also, after the credits who was the guy in the photo? The "other" Earnest Marks? The face seemed familiar but I couldn't place it, or figure out the significance of that as an end of season moment.
Unless I'm mixing up similar looking people, The "other" Earnest Marks in the photo is the unnamed fisherman from the opening of "Three Slaps", who calls himself "E" in "The Big Payback" when he gives the hotel bar speech..

What precisely this means I'm still not sure/unpacking.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh poo poo, the guy who gave the great speech then walked outside and shot himself?

"More where that's coming from..."

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm sure there's layers to it, but it is just a cool way to tie the short stories into the main thread. I don't think we saw any reference between the two before to imply they're part of the same universe, so it's a nice bowtie.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Mameluke posted:

wrong lol.

it explains her s3 character perfectly by breaking the 4th wall

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This was such a good finale ahahaha

Very weird and unfocused but frequently incredible season

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Van's Big Adventure was real good.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Unless I'm mixing up similar looking people, The "other" Earnest Marks in the photo is the unnamed fisherman from the opening of "Three Slaps", who calls himself "E" in "The Big Payback" when he gives the hotel bar speech..

he was another earn proxy in another anthology episode too iirc. if you go back to the beginning of the show it has Darius saying how he dreamed all this before. the entire show is a dream sequence, thats why theres so much surrealism. the white earn who likes the deftones might be the dude dreaming all of it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I only remember him being in those two episodes before the finale?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Another great episode in a great season.

I really wish we'd gotten more of the gang, but I can't complain too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Oh sorry my reading sucks. I just meant those two times