Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Since my old friend Mr. Fish has made a thread I reckon I should finally make one as well and actually update it occasionally and such.

Hi, I'm Terrible Robot, star of stage and screen (false). I don't post much on the forums anymore but I still lurk quite a bit. Over the years I've collected a handful of awful shitheaps cool old project cars. Unfortunately due to various reasons most of them have not received much attention in quite some time, something I hope to slowly begin rectifying over the coming months. The fact that they are all scattered across several states, none of which I currently live in, presents an extra fun challenge to this. This will likely not be a fast moving or regularly updated thread. Such is the price you pay for free (ish) entertainment.

Without further adieu, let's meet the victims projects, in no particular order. You may note some similarities and patterns though.

thou all destroying yet unconquering whale

to the last I grapple with thee

from Hell's heart I stab at thee

for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee

As you can see, I have more than one white whale to get loving ruined by win against. I also own a late 00s Camry but who gives a gently caress about that at all?

Currently the Volvo C70 T5M (green car) is the main focus, being so graciously stored at fellow goon Wrar's house, where he has been helping me replace the stricken engine over the last...well, it's been a while. We should have it finished quite soon though, so stay tuned for more updates on that.

I am happy to expound more upon the other unfortunates if anyone is interested in them or leave it at that for now, this OP is getting long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Uh, can you tell us a little more about the Camry?

Mr Fish
Nov 16, 2016
Finally a project thread. So excite to see the 245 in all it's turbo 80s glory and the C70 not in mothballs soon

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
In on the ground floor!
About drat time you started a thread

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

gently caress yes. <3

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Uh, can you tell us a little more about the Camry?

No :D

I have a SPA turbo manifold for it I found for 20bux...

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Dang, I thought this was gonna be about :darksouls:

Sorry to have disturbed you.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I mean, working on cars can be a lot like a souls game. loving skeletons everywhere.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

loving skeletons

But you don't have a Subaru anymore...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Turbo Fondant posted:

But you don't have a Subaru anymore...

So, funny thing about that Subaru; I never actually got rid of it. It was left in the back lot of a small shop before I moved and afaik it's still there. I still technically own it, if they haven't crushed it by now.

...did you hear that ominous music? Just me?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Mr Fish
Nov 16, 2016

Terrible Robot posted:

...did you hear that ominous music? Just me?

I feel like if I ever have to see that car again I will personally set it on fire

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Tell is about the wagon.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
:whatup:

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
CELICAAAAA :getin:

also this:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Tell is about the wagon.
I forgot how amazingly rad that wagon was!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Ok so, the wagon. Buckle up because when I start talking about these cars I will not shut the gently caress up until my hands start shaking. All images are links to full size versions.

It's a 1989 Volvo 245DL, it's got around 150k on it and it is slow because of its automatic transmission and 120hp engine. I actually got this car from Mr. Fish, who got it from my uncle in exchange for some carpentry work along with the 1988 244DL that my uncle and I restored over a summer for my shithead cousin (maybe I'll tell that story sometime). IIRC the 245 cost my 200$, but due to the nature of Fish and I's relationship I honestly cannot recall if I ever gave him cash money for it or if we horse-traded around for it as usual.

When I got this car back in 2012(ish) it was in nominally running and driving condition, having been my uncle's deceased father's DD since it was new. Unfortunately Opa wasn't the best caretaker of vehicles, or the best driver, but he was an animal lover, bless him. The interior was completely covered in a thick mat of animal hair/dander and dirt and the rear windows were covered in dozens of pictures of puppies and kittens that looked as though they'd been cut from a magazine and affixed to the windows with scotch-tape. The last maintenance item I was 100% sure had been done to the car was the timing belt...in 1996. Overdrive was broken due to a dicky solenoid. While mostly dent free save for a few small ones near the rear hatch, the car had clearly been in the wars. I went to remove the grille one day and both headlight lenses just...fell the gently caress off.

I still drove this car to my job, 25mi away and over a mountain, just to see how it would do. Turns out it was painfully slow, and it tried to murder me on the mountain with death-wobble. Needless to say, I didn't try driving it to work again. In fact, I parked it beside the driveway and then life and depression and other things happened and so it ended up languishing for a couple of years while I went back and forth over whether or not I should just sell it, hopefully to someone who would do what I was apparently never going to. By the time I got the spoons and more importantly, the money, it was in a very sorry state indeed.

Yes, I am a monster. During its time in the weeds it had also been used as a bit of a parts-car to keep Fish's 244DL going, since I was actually using that as my DD at the time (5 speed manual, oh thank heaven!). Things such as the front seats, the driver's window, and the MAF sensor had all been pilfered to keep the 244 as nice as possible. Since the rest of the interior in my 245 was pretty much all trash, I threw all of it out, except the rear floor and the dashboard. We found a very clearly loved but sadly rotten 1984 245 in the junkyard with a super clean tan interior, in leather. I actually would have preferred cloth but this was too nice to pass up. I bought as many pieces of that car as I could afford (including the window) and so now the 245 has a pretty nice two-tone interior. Well, the front seats are nice at any rate.

I set about ordering many many parts to do essentially the same things I'd done to the 244 years before. The car has new struts/shocks all around, a full brake overhaul including reman'd calipers painted yellow and I replaced all the lights with new production parts. I got the wheels from the 244, along with some dope poverty-caps. It now looks like what you saw in the OP, reposting again for posterity though

I've got some big plans for this wagon, since it's the only RWD car in my fleet currently and the most practical, it will be my truck. I have plans to put in a full floor in the back where the rear seats used to be, along with storage compartments etc. Airbags for at least the rear axle are a definite, so I can tow and haul without issues. Which brings me to the powerplant. My plan for that is to do a +T to the stock NA engine, which are well known for being sexually attracted to boost. I'll be doing this the old-fashioned way, the way they did it back in the 90s, with homebuilt daughter-cards and tuned EEPROMs from Sweden and a turbocharger lifted from the corpse of my old 850 T5 wagon (PBUH). With some other bolt-on modifications and luck, I should get around 230hp and 250lb-ft out of it, which is enough. For now.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I found a set of baller optional OEM Volvo wheels from the 1970s for this car as well.

These wheels were made by ATS for Volvo as an optional wheel on the P1800s, but it proved unpopular and so they just started sticking them on certain trim level 240s bound for Canada. Based on the amount of old corrosion these have, I'm guessing they spent some time up north. The special thing about them is they are light the lightest wheels Volvo has ever sold on one of their cars. They weigh something like 13lbs, which is hardly anything.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 18, 2022

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reading this almost makes me miss my '88 244, but you are not kidding about how slow that thing is with the auto.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Fortunately, I have everything I need to swap the 5spd from Fish's 244 into it, which will be happening. This includes the 350$ custom flywheel I had to have made because 89+ 240s have a crank position sensor that the earlier cars do not, and finding an OEM 89+ flywheel is loving impossible, as well as not worthwhile since they weigh like 38lbs. The one I got is based on the older, much lighter wheels.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
ATS made some of the world's coolest five-spokes. Those are ultra-rad.

Please let me know if you need help with the stupid 80s hobby-hardware ECU tuning.

I really wish I had bought that 302/T5-swapped 244, but I didn't want a trunk.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Hell yea! Someday i should make such a thread to chronicle the random myriad of shitboxes that currently own me.
I can't wait to see the C70 alive again.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Volvo wagon, voted 5

13lbs per wheel :stare:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Don't because it's a shame to chop a wagon but what if...

Mr Fish
Nov 16, 2016
No shame in that, Volcaminos are dope. Seen it done with sedans and wags.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The C70 is at my house right now. Once I get my detached garage sorted we can probably move it in there until I move or until it runs.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Terrible Robot posted:

Fortunately, I have everything I need to swap the 5spd from Fish's 244 into it, which will be happening. This includes the 350$ custom flywheel I had to have made because 89+ 240s have a crank position sensor that the earlier cars do not, and finding an OEM 89+ flywheel is loving impossible, as well as not worthwhile since they weigh like 38lbs. The one I got is based on the older, much lighter wheels.

so this car donated a bunch of parts to that car, and now that car is dying to donate its drivetrain to this one? :confused:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Raluek posted:

so this car donated a bunch of parts to that car, and now that car is dying to donate its drivetrain to this one? :confused:

It's the Circle of (Volvo) Life.

Mr Fish
Nov 16, 2016

Raluek posted:

Yeah, the 244 had like 300k on it when the engine let go. I wasn't going to be fixing it anytime soon so I gave the 5 speed and pedal box from it to robot for his stick swap. That 244 is getting a small block and th350 swap anyway so I won't be using any of the original driveline in it. It made sense to donate what I could to his wagon shenanigans.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Mr Fish posted:

Yeah, the 244 had like 300k on it when the engine let go. I wasn't going to be fixing it anytime soon so I gave the 5 speed and pedal box from it to robot for his stick swap. That 244 is getting a small block and th350 swap anyway so I won't be using any of the original driveline in it. It made sense to donate what I could to his wagon shenanigans.

haha ok this rules

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Alright, time for more words about these lovely cars. Today we're gonna talk a little bit about one of the Celicas.

This is a 1989 Toyota Celica GT, the last year of the ST16X chassis. I bought this car 12 years ago, a week or so before Mr. Fish and I graduated from NTI.

How it happened was, we were leaving school one evening in my 1986 Celica GTS (seen parked behind the GT), blasting Holy Diver with the windows down, as one does. Another student came sprinting alongside my car and yelled through the window "HEY DO YOU WANNA BUY MY CELICA?!". I did, very much, but I had very little money. This turned out to be just fine, because he didn't want much for it, only 200$. That was literally every dollar I had to my name at the time and I was going to be moving in 2 weeks, so of course I said yes on the spot.

And then...I put it into a storage unit along with almost everything I'd owned from the age of 5-20, closed the door, and left it there ever since. No, I am not very good with money. Yes, I have spent a lot of money on that storage unit. No, I can't just abandon everything in there. Yes, I hope to clear it out soon and do something with this car. End of.

More about the car:

This particular example is a loaded GT, which means it got a lot of good options such as power windows and a power sunroof (that works!), but did not get the good engine. The engine in this car is especially not good, it has very bad rod-knock above 2500rpm or so. The interior is also in pretty rough shape, with a lot of very sketchy PO wiring bodges and weird unlabeled switches that don't seem to do anything. The paint is bad and the front bumper sits cockeyed for reasons I didn't have time to delve into.

Really, I only bought this car because the body was overall straight and rust-free, and I knew it was likely to be the only chance I'd have at owning a 2nd one of these Celicas, they were already getting thin on the ground back then. I haven't nailed down a concrete plan for this car, having gone back and forth over the years with various engine swap ideas and purposes for the car.

Some of the ideas for it Fish and I have discussed for it include:
- Replacing the blown 3SFE with a gen 3 or 4 3SGE (BEAMS, etc) and making it a nasty NA street machine
- Similar to above, except cage it and go rally racing
- put a 3SGTE in it and make a Half-Trac/GT2 out of it
- Do drugs and realize that the Volvo Whiteblock 5-cylinder engines are nearly identical in every dimension to the 3SGE, and slant towards the firewall in the same way. Consider becoming Dr. Frankenstein.

Currently that last one is really winning out and will probably be what happens to this car, because I love Volvos and Celicas and combining those two things sounds rad. Anyway, have a couple more pics and I'll see you next time

I'll be honest, the Zeppelin sticker was the main selling point of the car

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

Reading this almost makes me miss my '88 244, but you are not kidding about how slow that thing is with the auto.

The opening scene of the Handmaid's Tale TV show has them running from the cops in a N/A Volvo