Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Right click mentality

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sandwolf posted:

The biggest in-community issue we have these days is rudeness.

Yes, there’s not enough of it!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My Second Re-Reg posted:

lmao

A bunch of people who don't play Mafia anymore boosting up an IK who almost never plays Mafia anymore

Who the gently caress are all you people?? Ecco has... what, run one game in the last year? Most of you I've never even seen before?

An admin comes in and literally says "I never have any reports about the Mafia threads" - maybe that means we don't need to screw with the current setup by giving IK powers to someone who's disconnected from the actual goings on of Mafia in 2023?

Lol ##vote My Second Re-Reg

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That post was to egregious it made me want to play mafia again

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

This whole saga got me to sign up to a game of mafia, you should probably all take a long hard look at yourselves and think about what you’ve done

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

wins32767 posted:

In Defense of Dickishness in an Internet Party Game

My time playing Mafia was a tremendous benefit to my life. As much as we might wish it otherwise, the world has people with malicious motivations in it or those with motivations or values that are structurally different than your own. Sometimes it's to someone's advantage to get you to get angry or emotional. Sometimes someone getting emotional or angry is feigned or used for manipulation. Sometimes someone is trying to hide that their incentives or goals are different than yours. Often you need to convince people to do something where your evidence isn't as weak as you'd prefer.

Having a game environment where one can experience the full gamut of those behaviors in a low risk environment has been an absolute blessing. Dealing with people who are being intentionally dickish has helped me manage my own responses to those types of people in work settings. I've used mafia skills to realize that a partner in a different organization has different goals that I wasn't aware of several times. Learning how to persuade strongly opposed people, even when your facts or data are weak, to make a good decision is something I use almost weekly. I wouldn't have been nearly as successful in my career over the last 10 years without the experience of playing in a somewhat agro mafia environment.

As someone who is naturally conflict adverse by nature and nurture and who is prone to taking things very personally, I can't speak strongly enough of how valuable my time with a bunch of dicks and assholes has been in my life.

I completely agree with all of this

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Isn’t the core of this that you can be combative and test the limits in a game (because it is a game) but if someone says you’ve crossed a line, you need to acknowledge that, apologise and try not to do so in future?

I don’t think anyone would disagree with that, surely?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

EccoRaven posted:

I think we should say our handles, our first mafia game, a favorite mafia memory, and why we like to play mafia and/or something fun about ourselves.

This is the first thing anyone has posted that has made me genuinely uncomfortable.

This isn’t an awkward work ice-breaker, I’m not posting any of that poo poo, I’m perfectly fine with playing mafia with people who don’t know the real me.

If that means I don’t get to be part of the gang, that’s fine, I’ve never felt like part of the vet crew and I am too old to be a newbie hugging sharing type, I’ll just remain standoffish and British.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jump King posted:

After I ran more first game Merk publicly announced he’d never play in one of my games ever again and recommended others do the same so I feel that

Lumpen did that to me after completely loving up their town play in Foundation Mafia

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Somberbrero posted:

I'm getting married today! Savahontas and I first met in VOTE1's Slenderman mini-Mafia in 2009.

That is so cool, congratulations to both of you.

Has anyone made a confirmed masons joke yet?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

How old is Opop Jr.?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Opopanax posted:

He's 11, and I've done a few kit things with him over the years he likes that stuff, but right now he's curious about actual coding and languages.

My son is 11, he really enjoys making things in scratch, unless that’s too basic?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Opopanax posted:

That's what they're using at the camp yeah. Neat system

He says that the next step up is Python

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

You should use your roleblock because it’s more fun to do so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Opopanax posted:

Right, so, this is awkward, but I haven't received anything from my secret santa and nobody has reached out. If you sent ol Opop something you should maybe look into it

I see you were given the greatest gift of all, hope