Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Observer plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

All the talking about previous games gave me an idea so here is a game

I made a list of everyone who won a game in 2021 as a non-town alignment, and all roles will be town roles from 2021 games. I am taking Voodoofly up on the repeated general offer to take the WIFOA setup and run with it. Game could be small, could be really very large!

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 19, 2022

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

2021 Mafia All-Stars needs a replacement. Please to be getting in touch, joining Discord, etc thx.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

mega dy posted:

Your honor you will find that the first two letters are entirely different, I rest my case.

May the facts show the first two levels of merk and mega dy in fact are entirely the same, me

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I think one problem I have with mafia is that I want to like it more than I do. I'm a loving dogshit terrible mafia player. Like seriously, I'm really loving bad. I'm terrible at playing games. I'm not too good at running them either. So generally, I just admire mafia games from afar. :(

Come admire them up close as an observer, observer chats are fun

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

The biggest in-community issue we have these days is rudeness.

Scientastic posted:

Yes, there’s not enough of it!
Gotta post just how much I disagree with Scientastic here as a jumping off point to sort of be a contrarian voice to what is being said here.

It is incomplete to portray Mafia as being just a game of social deduction. It's also a game of social manipulation. There is an overlap between tactics of manipulation and tactics of abuse.

There IS real potential for harm here. In the years I have been part of the SA Mafia community, I think I've mostly seen the people I personally think whose play is most potentially harmful have drifted away, so I am speaking mostly in potential rather than condemning current community play. But we have had games where people, including myself, have been negatively affected.

--

In regards to self-policing Podima has been an issue for a while. We have two Mafia discords, and feelings around Podima were part of the impetus some people had in desiring a new one. Multiple people were shocked and upset when Podima then also got Mod roles on the new server. Shell wasn't initially willing to unmod Podima when concerns were expressed, though, to be clear, I don't think the extent of this history was made clear to them at the time.

I was pretty unhappy that those concerns weren't being given what I thought was appropriate weight. I was the person who volunteered to ask Podima to resign from that position:

Really a lot of interesting parallels.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

My understanding was (to Podima's credit) Podima was unmodded from the new Discord only after offering to step down. Which I'm glad happened. If that wasn't the way it went down, cool. Ultimately it did get resolved.

But since Podima is at the center of this conversation, I think that is an episode that needs to come up.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

You are conflating Podima being removed from his forums position a few days ago and Shellception and I removing him from his discord position a year ago. And being kind of lovely to Shell in the process.
I'm not conflating them, but I do think there are interesting parallels.

Shellception posted:

Sure. And again, if anyone feels unsure about me and/or someone else wants to admin the Discord, it's all yours.
And Shell, sorry if this feels like I'm being lovely like Sandwolf says. Not what I'm trying to go for. I think you're great and do a great job with the Discord and I don't think you should feel a need to recuse yourself.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I think "Don't be a dick" does sum it up well, and it certainly has seemed like "be a dick" is what many of the legacy Mafia players thought Mafia was, and to that extent Mafia has been better since they have left, and I'm sad they are back.

Honestly, interpreting "don't be a dick" as "but if I can't be a dick, I can't report sex pests creeping, because that's a dick move!" is loving outrageous.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Squiggly posted:

It's just as cliquey

Squiggly posted:

The "old" crew used to be more of a bag of dicks to each other because no one really internalized it.
And the new crew doesn't try to exclude people who might internalize it to try to maintain some valueless desire to be a bag of dicks to each other.

Calling wanting to exclude dickish behavior that will hurt people and drive people away cliquey is basically "you are the real bigot because you are bigoted towards bigots"

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

wins32767 posted:

In Defense of Dickishness in an Internet Party Game

As someone who is naturally conflict adverse by nature and nurture and who is prone to taking things very personally, I can't speak strongly enough of how valuable my time with a bunch of dicks and assholes has been in my life.
I don't like arguments that amount to "more trauma is what you need to do to help your PTSD."

Which, I mean, I'm not a psychologist but my impression is that exposure therapy does help single event PTSD, but harms people with complex PTSD.

In other words, glad it helped you, legitimately, but how does the value of that for you balance against how untenable it is for others?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Can't it still be a testbed for managing your own feelings, and engaging with disagreement, and learning to be persuasive, all while also limiting how dickish things get?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I propose b- for Mafia Champs based on performance in the All Stars game I ran and the stats I ran for that game.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Thank you Zoya for the Communist Waluigi phone case and weird hand statue. I do not understand the implications of the note that was with the statue?