Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
I nominate merk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

death cob for cutie posted:

can we send mr. steak to the championships even though he's banned

Second best option

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

death cob for cutie posted:

hal would be a fine choice as well

please note that I am picking who I find to be a funny choice, not the best mafia player

There are no good mafia players

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
My favorite game was Yami's choose someone else's role because of the role I received: Fibber, where the last thing I claimed was my role

I formed a mason group, found an SK infected victim, cured them, day vigged the cop, and threw my former mason cured SK victim under the bus for the win

I would play any game with that role again in a heartbeat, so much fun. I still remember Yami in discord telling me there's no way he would give me a role even when I fibbed it and it was towns fault if they were dumb enough to think that he would

Game here

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Hal Insandenza posted:

Omg Quid getting beat in LYLO AGAIN!

Everyone’s favorite moment involves Quidnose playing the patsy

I'm almost 100% you would have murdered me long before lylo

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Opopanax posted:

I keep seeing that game come up but it looks absolutely terrible, is it actually that good?

You know all those bullet hell style games like enter the gungeon?

Vampire survivors is the reverse, what if you were the bullet hell

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
gently caress the data, mafia died when merk retired

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Shout-out to taste for giving us 2 pages of content

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Jen X posted:

I think the big thing that happens somewhat regularly (or did when I was regularly playing here, mostly 2-5 years back) is that people will press others too hard and it will prompt an emotional rejoinder, especially when the person pressing is doing so in a way that seems unfair or rude

this is usually sorted out by someone leaving the game or conversation cooling off and people taking a break, which is an explicit option under every ruleset and never needs to be justified, but sometimes the person pressing the other is the one being a dick (rather than he person attacked needing to opt out of an emotionally affecting situation) and things can get tricky

this is a tone issue for the most part and I like to think people being warned for being too rude is a thing that happens, but it's worth mentioning because many game runners may be hesitant to interject when things are borderline

I think this is pretty spot on. I know I was pretty regularly guilty of this when I started playing again.

I started playing mafia as a teen in high school. Now I'm older but how I used to post and play still comes out. But most of the time a simple reproach from the community makes me feel like a pretty lovely person in real life and rightfully so. I like to think it was something I got better at but I think that's more how the community handled it.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Sandwolf posted:

Here’s something on point: more than one member of the current-mafia playing community has reached out to me to complain about what y’all just did.

Now what?

Taste resurrected this thread and it's his responsibility to kill it again

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Jen X posted:

we need to resurrect mr steak and have him do it as he's young enough to not have any responsibilities that might interfere with important IK duties

Better hurry, school's almost out and I hear he goes to summer camp

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Jump King posted:

The problem we have right now is that we need some mafia games to open up so this energy can go into the games

Lmao if you think half the people posting are gonna sign up

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
I have the best worst idea for a game but I'm only running it if humalong co mods with me

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Pinterest Mom posted:

I really wish people took what Voodoo and Sandwolf are saying seriously and wouldn't react defensively.

They were actually super reasonable and earnest posts, but trolls gonna troll

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Yami Fenrir posted:

Also mafia players don't work without a deadline, it's not "we have 5 days to figure this out" and more "We have 4 days to go afk and 1 day to select a target in a panic"

:negative:

Don't forget the switch from one person to another in the last 10 minutes

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Sub Rosa posted:

I think "Don't be a dick" does sum it up well, and it certainly has seemed like "be a dick" is what many of the legacy Mafia players thought Mafia was, and to that extent Mafia has been better since they have left, and I'm sad they are back.

This is exactly the same thing, but in reverse. It's just as cliquey and the sentiment that led to a bunch of people popping in to troll. Your reason for doing so is different, but the outcome is just as insular

The "old" crew used to be more of a bag of dicks to each other because no one really internalized it. Why do you think that they still stick around or are part of the community? At least for me, it's because there were plenty of relationships forged here that still exist. That would not be the case if we just hated each other

Has the way we interact with one another changed since then? Sure. And I think you'll find many good faith efforts in that direction from the people posting here regardless of when they started playing mafia. See: how people stopped picking up the rope once intention and phrasing was cleared up

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Cloacamazing! posted:

It's loving great. After several days of seeing people get ganged up in this thread I finally build up my courage to say something and the next thing that happens it several people accuse me of loving enabling abusers. Wonderful. Sweet. Great. I'm out.

This seems to be how you are taking it rather than the actual intent. People are addressing potential concerns in a somewhat reasonable way

Taking a break is probably a good choice

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Sub Rosa posted:

And the new crew doesn't try to exclude people who might internalize it to try to maintain some valueless desire to be a bag of dicks to each other.

Calling wanting to exclude dickish behavior that will hurt people and drive people away cliquey is basically "you are the real bigot because you are bigoted towards bigots"

This is absolutely the most mafia way to respond to my post

:golfclap:

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Jose Valasquez posted:

This whole new crew vs old crew thing is so dumb, it's not real! We're all just posters!

Wheres my pepsi kendall jenner

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Ecco how in the hell do you remember your first game

My PMs only date back to 2015. Funnily enough, the first PM is from you telling me to stop playing MOBAs and come play mafia

The stop playing MOBAs was good advice at least :tipshat:

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

redneck nazgul posted:

Hi. I'm redneck nazgul, formerly The Betrayer. I used to be an rear end in a top hat. I still am, but I used to too.

My first Mafia game was circa 2006, where I singlehandedly condemned the town with a misvote, setting me on the course to be the worst town player ever. After that came several years of overly aggro posting and dumb gimmicks that ruined games for people, eventually becoming a common policy vote, before just dropping out of the community altogether for a while. Now with the benefit of a decade of life experience, being married for seven of those years, I can confidently say that past me was terrible and I apologize for my behavior.

My finest Mafia moment was during an actual RL meetup, I convinced another player to vote out his then girlfriend instead of me in the endgame. I will not apologize for this.

I believe we met in real life my man

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
My name is Squiggly.

Apparently my first game was Back to the Beginning run by winvirus in 2011. I thought it was earlier, but apparently that was just me being on SA.

My favorite game was definitely Yami's Choose somebody else's role Mafia where someone made the role of Fibber. Essentially, whatever I last said my role was became my role. It was the most fun I've ever had in a mafia game and I dream of a game where I could reprise it. My roles throughout the game included:

Squiggly posted:

It seems like there's a few people confused about my role so maybe this will clarify things

I'm Michael Jackson and each night I can choose a man in the mirror who receives all the actions directed at me for that night

I'm a smooth criminal who can't be roleblocked

If a child visits me I autowin the game and that child receives the item "Jesus Juice" (???)

Squiggly posted:

Eh?

I'm actually Canada, our northern neighbors. We are dissatisfied with our government, though, and as such we will swarm the borders and become confirmed town masons with 3 people at night because we are the friendliest of folk.

Because an alien knows one when it seems one, I will receive information in our Mason channel if any of them are aliens, including alien babies.

We are expert hiders so don't try and find us since we'll all be in our super secret untraceable Mason hideout

Squiggly posted:

The darkness...hungers...

The ground shakes as the beast moves. Tremors are felt for miles as The Great One awakens.

The myths of old told of his return, and now it is upon us. Rejoice, as all true worshippers will be blessed!

For you see, I am Cthulhu. Long have I slumbered but now I am awake and hungry. An otherworldly presence has called to me, and I come forth to take this alien presence home with me.

At night I will carry one soul that has become two back home with me to the unyielding and untargetable abyss, removing any foreign presence from their body and returning the abducted soul to the mortal plane the next day.

In return, I will take a soul tomorrow when I ##DEVOUR them. A life for a life. The price will be paid.

The hunger must be sated...

Squiggly posted:

gently caress it I don't see any way around this

## DEVOUR AA

With his belly full, Cthulhu takes a massive poo poo. Rummaging through the feces, the Omni Consumer Corporation finds the remains of what looks like a Canadian. Several Canadians in fact. They take the parts back to headquarters and begin construction.

-POWER UP-

I AM ROBOCOP. BEEP BOOP BEEP. WITH THE PROCESSING POWER ONLY A MACHINE COULD EXHIBIT I HAVE A LOCK ON ALL OF THE REMAINING PLAYERS IN THE GAME AND WILL INVESTIGATE EACH OF THEM TONIGHT GETTING EITHER A TOWN OR NOT TOWN RESULT

DO NOT TRY AND STOP ME. A MACHINE IS UNSTOPPABLE. RESISTANCE TO THE PRIME DIRECTIVE IS FUTILE. MY MISSION WILL BE COMPLETED. THE FUTURE IS SECURE

-POWER DOWN-

I devoured the cop and won the next day after claiming space in vienna was scum after saving her from alien serial killer death. My last role didn't even work, yami straight up said "absolutely not and town is dumb if they think I would ever do that." It was glorious.

Fun fact is that I used to be an actor (as a kid and briefly after college) before switching careers. I had a line in the film "Minority Report" and have Stephen Spielberg's autograph. He told me to keep acting. I'm so sorry to be a disappointment to you, Mr. Spielberg

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Jose Valasquez posted:

A fun fact about me is that I speedrun old JRPGs, and I have the WR in Final Fantasy 5 Any% (and top 10 in Chrono Trigger that I'll be trying to push lower).

EccoRaven posted:

I will also tell the thread and community broadly that as far as I know I have the World Record in the hit 1991 MS-DOS video game SkiFree.

Both of these are actually really cool

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
We have a lot of games running? I could put one together but fair warning that it's a bastard mod type game

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Cloacamazing! posted:

Running: The Passage, Pinball, Numberwang, Musical

Recruiting: Touhou, Hoverboard, Spelling Bee

I think that's the full list.

Thanks, yeah there's no need for mine now

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Toalpaz posted:

I ran one game with a role so bad to play I think the player quit. In short, you can be your dreams I'm living proof.

(It was a puppet killer sk that poisoned players, and then got to give them 3 posts they had to make without referencing they were Anon posts they were given)

P1: "im scum"
P2: "lol no really legit scum itt"
P3: "look at this chode town not killing the self proclaimed scum"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Somberbrero posted:

I'm getting married today! Savahontas and I first met in VOTE1's Slenderman mini-Mafia in 2009. I wanted to honor that part of our relationship with a gift I received many moons ago from Little Mac. I feel in some ways indebted to the community for my present happiness, she doesn't play anymore but it is fun to read back through our cringey private messages here. Thank you, Mafia community.

Ayyyy man, congrats! Party it up!