Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I didn't see a megathread, so please point me the way if I missed.

I learned that I really like cycling. Road cycling specifically which really means paved routes. This has been a fairly recent development in my life, started about 3 years ago. I have learned a ton but feel I have a lot to learn.

When I go out I much prefer manicured bike trails which go into nature, avoiding all the hassles with automobiles and such. When I ride it's normally for about 60 to 120 minutes not really more than 40 miles tops. I tried doing a longer ride in November, a 60 mile loop and was wiped at the end (despite trying hard to eat often and stay hydrated).

None of my friends are into cycling but maybe some of you are. If so, what kind? Would love to share practical advise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=272

There's a couple of them in there depending on the kind of riding you do. Biking is indeed very good.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

That was exactly what I missed. Thanks

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
CYCLING SUCKS!!!!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

LuckyCat posted:

CYCLING SUCKS!!!!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

getting sweaty in the woods with a bunch of dudes

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I learned from the schadenfreude thread that the worst cyclists are almost always the ones wearing spandex. It's like a red flag that says "This person takes cycling way too seriously".

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yaldabaoth posted:

I learned from the schadenfreude thread that the worst cyclists are almost always the ones wearing spandex. It's like a red flag that says "This person takes cycling way too seriously".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njgxH1aEg7w

Confirmed

E: well poo poo I guess he’s not wearing spandex but still a piece of poo poo!!

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I broke my rib trying to be rad on my mountain bike, do not recommend.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Don't take the Bi out of cycling OP.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

neato burrito posted:

I broke my rib trying to suck myself off on my mountain bike, do not recommend.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My clavicle was broken because I was swinging KFC in a turn. Physics got all hosed up.

Limping to Emergency Care room was full of chicken smells and I am sure everyone was as hungry as I was after the x-ray.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
Nothing wrong with riding a bike.

Everything wrong with playing dress ups like a wanker and riding a bike.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

LuckyCat posted:

CYCLING SUCKS!!!!

its good actually. stops you getting fat and is fun! give it a try

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
contemplating doing the south downs way this weekend. that's off road though, not road cycling. haven't ridden my road bike for ages now

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
You either dress up like an idiot and be "acceptable" as a bike rider or you hate bikes fully because you think you have to dress up to ride them and are self conscious.

Cool Dude Bike riding is the most female thing ever, lol, its men freaking out over their and each others prom dresses.

Just put on some normal shorts and ride a bike idiots.

Greg of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 22, 2022

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I had to stop commuting by bike in the city because after two years, car people have absolutely lost their minds. I stop at stop signs and red lights, pull over to let cars get past and this just further enrages them. I used to get into scream fights or wind up trying to climb into a truck to beat the poo poo out of someone every other week. Stay safe out there, OP.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Bikes are cool but you have to either drive your car to a place to ride your bike, or risk your life by trying to share the roads made back in 1960 or something.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

contemplating doing the south downs way this weekend. that's off road though, not road cycling. haven't ridden my road bike for ages now

it's great! and the weather is forecast to be really nice. only downside is that it'll be super busy with people.

Greg of Doom posted:

You either dress up like an idiot and be "acceptable" as a bike rider or you hate bikes fully because you think you have to dress up to ride them and are self conscious.

Cool Dude Bike riding is the most female thing ever, lol, its men freaking out over their and each others prom dresses.

you sound unwell in the brain

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Greg of Doom posted:

what the

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Ya i also have like $1200 laying around for a dang childrens toy OP :rolleyes:

*posts from computer with like a $3000 GPU or something*

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Welcome to the cool guy world of cycling. There are dudes that shave legs and wear spandex. You don’t have to do this, and honestly the commuters, gravel, mountain crowd also has its share of dorks. So just ride the dang thing and enjoy yourself :)

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

Greg of Doom posted:

gibberish ravings

cycling shorts are not expensive and they make it so you don't gently caress your arse up from cycling

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
I moved to Germany a couple of years ago where Cycling is a first class means of getting around, and there's dedicated cycling infrastructure and where the country is mostly flat and cycling is a pleasant, economical, and useful way of getting around.

It'll be a pitty when I move home to Ireland I can't cycle anymore because drivers will literally attempt to kill me constantly for daring to use 5 inches by the side of the road.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

On Saturdays I wear my vest and top-hat and ride my unicycle around the market and say "good tidings to ya" to the patrons as I flip nickels to the children.

Those kids go nuts over a man in a top hat and vest on a unicycle flipping nickels at them, I tell ya.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

satanic splash-back posted:

Bikes are cool but you have to either drive your car to a place to ride your bike, or risk your life by trying to share the roads made back in 1960 or something.

I got an ebike for replacing my car for around town errands and a little exercise, and yeah it's striking just how many people on the road actively want you to die for not burning fossil fuels everyday.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

*does sweet lowside at 30 kph and crashes on carbon frame 3 months into ownership but suffers no damage*

*cracks top tube on wooden bannister corner when bike falls over while i unlock the door to get into house*

:negative:

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 22, 2022

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Unfortunately I live in London, and despite the hellworld we currently inhabit, I’m not ready for death quite yet.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Cycling Moans and the Greg of Doom

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i like to LARP as a tour de frants guy

ride way to fast while i listen to my insane techno tunes, never stop for anything, yell at cars, other cyclists, the wind

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

neato burrito posted:

I broke my rib trying to be rad on my mountain bike, do not recommend.

I won a free tattoo for taking my pants off completely while riding but i used to be a bicycle messenger and was talented

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I live in the city and ride my bike almost every day for errands and longer rides for fun.

Also I don't follow most traffic laws and I dont care. SUCK EM :blastu:

I also have a cool downhill MTB so I can go off road or do sick rides down stairs at the park.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the only law that applies to cyclists is "don't die"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the only law that applies to cyclists is "don't die"
ride fast or finish last!!!!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
deep carbon wheels own

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
if your bike doesnt have carbon fiber components i mean why even have it i mean lmao

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

hey pick up my bike feel this

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Land tricks no one has ever scene because development happened.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
not all of us wear spandex because were mean some of us just like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
i hate cycling btw