Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I like bikes and I don't care who knows.

I name them all and give them hugs and kisses.

Ugh trash snipe.

https://youtu.be/7ZmJtYaUTa0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Parachute pants when you bail.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
about to ride my bike ~20 miles =]

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Chinatown posted:

pick me up some weed!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Im cycling in more meats into my diet

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin
I like bikes

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The radio this morning said the ferry would be open this summer for "bikelists"

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I've commuted to work by train, bus, car, and my own two feet, but the bicycle beats em all

Best is working from home of course, but the lack of cycling makes me fat

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

No. 6 posted:

I didn't see a megathread, so please point me the way if I missed.

I learned that I really like cycling. Road cycling specifically which really means paved routes. This has been a fairly recent development in my life, started about 3 years ago. I have learned a ton but feel I have a lot to learn.

When I go out I much prefer manicured bike trails which go into nature, avoiding all the hassles with automobiles and such. When I ride it's normally for about 60 to 120 minutes not really more than 40 miles tops. I tried doing a longer ride in November, a 60 mile loop and was wiped at the end (despite trying hard to eat often and stay hydrated).

None of my friends are into cycling but maybe some of you are. If so, what kind? Would love to share practical advise.

why do we need a megathread?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I rode a Raleigh 21 speed cheap MTB from Ouahigouya to Bobo Dialaasou.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

why do we need a megathread?

because you got to set your goals and make your carbs and eat your personal best seriously try picking up my bike

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Twigand Berries posted:

because you got to set your goals and make your carbs and eat your personal best seriously try picking up my bike

I try
ha ha!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Chinatown posted:

im back. time to smoke weed

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chinatown posted:

im back. time to smoke weed

Chinatown, you are the best dude

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
Bikes do rule. I was a bike mechanic for about 10 years and I used to really like mountain biking and used to have a ton of knowledge about that part of the hobby and had some really nice bikes I built up. Recently I tried getting rad while clipped in and going really fast and broke my spine and my neck and a bunch of ribs, lol. I still like to ride, but find I am pretty timid now, and also the recovery has made me chunky and slower than I used to be. My current MTB is a low specced 27.5+ hardtail, but it still rules to go out and ride on it.

I get the appeal of road biking but I like being in nature and off paved paths, so I picked up a gravel bike this this year and am excited for the snow to clear off the trails so I can get out there. I've also discovered how fun winter mountain biking is, but it's very condition dependent and this year either the trail conditions sucked or it was -30 outside. I can't stand anything colder than -20, so I missed most of the season.

A cool thing about cycling is that you can go an ride by yourself and have a ton of fun, or you can go roll with people who you enjoy the sport with. If you find you're outpaced by your peers and aren't having fun, you can go by yourself and train and make steady improvements while still have a blast. I've met lots of cool people through this hobby (and lots of really lame people) and am happy to see it steadily becoming more inclusive and popular over the past decade.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Chinatown, you are the best dude

I made scrumbled cheezy eggs and bacon for dinner afterwards.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chinatown posted:

I made scrumbled cheezy eggs and bacon for dinner afterwards.

:wink:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Padical posted:

Bikes do rule.

Walk into traffic, bike with traffic can sometimes be a load of horse poo poo depending on where you live. The out door style is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6t5eDe5gUE

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

Zeluth posted:

Walk into traffic, bike with traffic can sometimes be a load of horse poo poo depending on where you live. The out door style is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6t5eDe5gUE

My city has pretty good bicycle infrastructure through a large part of it, and a massive network of river valley trails so I am lucky there.

The man in that video has both insane bicycle skills and trust in his own abilities.

BRICKFACE
Apr 20, 2002

I BITE
theres a direct relationship between time spent on a bike and how numb your junk gets

i love bicycling

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.
Bikes are great…but wear a helmet. I learned that one the hard way back in 2016 when a lady hit me head on with her Civic. Concussion, TBI, exposed skull (I am still shocked at how the plastic surgeon made me look….passably normal)

Took me three years to get back on a bike after that. Good news though, I just took delivery yesterday of a new bike trailer for my soon to be one year old daughter, so I am getting back out there and I want her to enjoy it too.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My aunt taught me how to bicycle in a mellow field. She just kept pushing me until I fell fell over no more.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

Juando290 posted:

Bikes are great…but wear a helmet. I learned that one the hard way back in 2016 when a lady hit me head on with her Civic. Concussion, TBI, exposed skull (I am still shocked at how the plastic surgeon made me look….passably normal)

Took me three years to get back on a bike after that. Good news though, I just took delivery yesterday of a new bike trailer for my soon to be one year old daughter, so I am getting back out there and I want her to enjoy it too.

Glad to hear you're recovery is going well :)

Also, yes to helmets. When I had my big crash I was out cold for about 15 seconds. The first thing I saw when I came to was the remains of my expensive new helmet on the ground next to me. It looked like someone had taken a sledgehammer to it. As far as my injuries went, I somehow escaped without a concussion or any other brain injuries. Without the helmet, I would have died instantly.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I’m the serious cyclist riding 5mph up a winding mountain road in a $5000 bike in full spandex with a line of 50 cars behind me. I ride in the middle of the lane and refuse to let cars pass for 20 miles and I become enraged should they try to.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Padical posted:

Bikes do rule. I was a bike mechanic for about 10 years

Lmbo ya thats cool, i was a skateboard mechanic for a while myself :jerkbag:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nooner posted:

Carfelu

Somebody wants to wheel land chopping. Careful, I will break your ankle with my kickout.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Sophy Wackles posted:

I’m the serious cyclist riding 5mph up a winding mountain road in a $5000 bike in full spandex with a line of 50 cars behind me. I ride in the middle of the lane and refuse to let cars pass for 20 miles and I become enraged should they try to.

I was a bike commuter for years and some of the entitled bullshit I saw other cyclists pull blew my mind. Luckily I live in an area where drivers are pretty cycle-conscious despite bad behavior idiots so i never had any murder attempts and only one driver tried to fight me.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
The fact that $3-4000 is what you'll shell out for a "lovely" road bike or mountain bike is insanely depressing.

Funny though, I was given a 15 years old specialized hard tail and hit the Alum Creek black diamond trail in Ohio and had the most fun I've had in over a decade since riding the mean streets of Philly.

The electronic suspensions and e mountain bikes are really fuckin cool, but at the same time like let's just take all the fun out of the sport. Like yea I'm gonna go real hard on this sick rear end trail and totally risk sending my $15,000 setup into a tree.

Still have my 56cm Fuji track comp with gold velocity deep v's(discontinued) if anyone wants to make me an offer!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Torquemada posted:

Unfortunately I live in London, and despite the hellworld we currently inhabit, I’m not ready for death quite yet.

London cycling is actually pretty good once you learn where the protected routes are. It's pretty bad for exercising your legal right to cycle in traffic though...

except for shithole tory west london lol

sudonim posted:

I was a bike commuter for years and some of the entitled bullshit I saw other cyclists pull blew my mind. Luckily I live in an area where drivers are pretty cycle-conscious despite bad behavior idiots so i never had any murder attempts and only one driver tried to fight me.

Honestly the London cycling reddit (yes I know serves me right for even looking at it) is like 5% discussion of cycling and 95% furious rage at perceived slights from drivers. The literally had a thread arguing that it's safer for cyclists to jump red lights and cut up pedestrians so they should be allowed to do whatever they want.

Cycling culture is cancer IMO

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 24, 2022

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

Nooner posted:

Lol what the gently caress is this reply even trying to say. I'm sorry for sharing my love of and involvement in this hobby?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

London cycling is actually pretty good once you learn where the protected routes are. It's pretty bad for exercising your legal right to cycle in traffic though...

except for shithole tory west london lol

Honestly the London cycling reddit (yes I know serves me right for even looking at it) is like 5% discussion of cycling and 95% furious rage at perceived slights from drivers. The literally had a thread arguing that it's safer for cyclists to jump red lights and cut up pedestrians so they should be allowed to do whatever they want.

Cycling culture is cancer IMO

what is cycling culture exactly and how is it cancer??

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Or you could just take the bus like a regular person

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gleebster posted:

Or you could just take the bus like a regular person

With a bike. It is OK to do both.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I used to do a 70km round trip to work and back for a couple of years. Probably my favourite experience in my whole life. Nothing like arriving at work fully energised and looking forward to the ride home.

Used to wear spandex and cycle in all weather. Owned. Would commute again.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

mite ride my cervelo r5 tonite

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

Yaldabaoth posted:

I learned from the schadenfreude thread that the worst cyclists are almost always the ones wearing spandex. It's like a red flag that says "This person takes cycling way too seriously".

MAMILs. Middle Aged Men In Lycra. They usually are terrible in my experience.

I’ve been bike commuting mostly year round for like 12 years because I’ve never figured out how not to be broke so I’ve got a hundred comments for this thread.

WEAR A loving HELMET. My worst crash ever happened while entering a turn at the bottom of a hill going like 20-30mph. My chain derailed and wrapped the back tire. Before I even knew what was happening I was in a crocodile death roll down the street. Took out a huge chunk of skin on my shoulder and would have done the same for my scalp without the helmet.

Point is tho, it was out of my control and out of nowhere. I’ve heard the “I trust my control of the bike” argument by so many vane shitheads who refuse to put a helmet on.

Both my siblings have been hit by cars biking in DC. The drivers were at fault both times. Always assume every car you see is going to do the stupidest thing they could do at any given time. Also they will 90% the time drive away from the scene.

Also I’m gonna be that guy, but if you just wanna commute, a fixed gear on a steel frame is the way to go. You can usually get the frame cheap if you look in the right places, and there’s like next to nothing to break or take much care of. The frame can be re welded if needed unlike most modern bikes.

At any rate cycling loving sucks and I hate it but so does spending money and public transit so here we are.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

The city where I live is probably the most bike friendly place in Canada, but people, in cars or otherwise, just don't give a gently caress and navigate their lives like loving lemmings. I ride a lot and have only been in one major incident where a car pulled out in front of me on a bike lane, I went flying and got a sweet concussion. My $5k race bike was totaled and crunched under the guy's Audi. Lawsuit still pending 3+ years later. Cycling rules but I feel like some cities are actively aggressive and not in the fun way like NYC or something but in the "you will literally die if you try to commute by bike" kind of way.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The reason pros shave isn't for aero its because you crash constantly and get hair all gummed up in the road rash and then it leaves scars and heals worse.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Salt Fish posted:

The reason pros shave isn't for aero its because you crash constantly and get hair all gummed up in the road rash and then it leaves scars and heals worse.
its also hella cooler (temperature wise) than having a full squatch pelt of hair. havnt shaved my legs in years though, its a PITA especially if you grow a considerable amount of hair like yours truly. but its oh so smooth and Looks Pro™.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

just had to abandon a bike ride because my lovely rear light won't come on.