Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Took my daughters biking today. I'm ecstatic that's they enjoy it as much as I do. I get to show off with poorly executed bunny hops and feel radical for a fat dad.

Feels good man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Chinatown posted:

I placed 7th (03:27:58.16) out of 401 riders for the 60-mile course today. It was raining off and on as well. I'm rouding up my average speed to 18mph because I HAD TO PEE at station #2.

I got a neato medal too.

:munch:
:discourse:

TIME TO FEAST

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

bang banging burrito pizza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ-Z1di-c58

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

neato burrito posted:

Took my daughters biking today. I'm ecstatic that's they enjoy it as much as I do. I get to show off with poorly executed bunny hops and feel radical for a fat dad.

Feels good man.

Thanks for sharing this story and the love of cycling!

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

I love cycling but we moved out to a rural area and there aren't a ton of paved roads or bike paths. Makes me miss city biking sometimes

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Kaewan posted:

If I can get bigger quads faster with any other style bike lemme know.

a heavy bike on the highest gear with flat tires

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I've had to throw out some shorts since I started cycling

Thighs just have gotten too big to wear them comfortably

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I have just hosed up my second kryptonite Stronghold anchor install AMA.

ProTip- the best reason to use a hammer drill is because when you use a regular drill the hole walks so check it frequently. They really should include a fourth anchor for people like me.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
i used to like cycling until i had to do it for my sole mode of transportation, have drivers honk and scream at me and fake-swerve at me every day for existing, have them stolen on a bimonthly basis, and am constantly getting in trouble at work for things like flat tires.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Being forced to do something is a good way to resent it. Sorry you have that. I also cycled to work daily for a while. It's frustrating when cars are involved.

Jestery posted:

I've had to throw out some shorts since I started cycling

Thighs just have gotten too big to wear them comfortably

This sounds like a humble brag and I like it. Good work!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

The most real cyclist are the DUI guys wearing a hardhat, a safety vest, and their steel toe boots riding whatever they found that rolls to the job site.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 5, 2022

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
apropos of nothing: di2 is an abomination, all controls on a road bike are to be mechanically actuated with no loving ~computers~ or ~batteries~ involved

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
awful lot of slowdowns and isolations on this stock photo trail

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Some of those sci fi wireless shifter things look cool. I'm not competing so I'll take whatever makes the most sense.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Any renowned and recommend cycling spots to visit? Looking for suggestions for scenic paved trails which don't involve roads.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

No. 6 posted:

Any renowned and recommend cycling spots to visit? Looking for suggestions for scenic paved trails which don't involve roads.

No idea if it's good for bikes since I've never been yet, but I'm planning on checking out the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes sometime this year.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

That looks pretty awesome. Too bad it's so far for me. Are you riding the entire length?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

No. 6 posted:

That looks pretty awesome. Too bad it's so far for me. Are you riding the entire length?

Dunno, maybe over a couple days. I'm old and fat. Just want to see a moose, so I'll probably concentrate on riverside sections.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

When I bike, I do it for myself. I enjoy the experience and mostly go solo and take my own time.

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
It is actually spelled BYCYCLE becouse you travel by byke thank you

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i miss biking, i need to do that again. i got incredibly fit and it was awesome.

dad gut is back and i cant walk without being tired again sucks balls

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Lol what's with the gear hate? Everyone knows it looks dorky as gently caress, but it works.

You try riding 50 kms and 1500m up a mountain in jeans or normal shorts, see what's left of your balls, taint and upper thighs after.

You ever see pictures from the Vietnam War?

Sometimes you just gotta look like a total wanker if you wanna play, nobody thinks it looks cool.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
yeah, i was doing the jean thing till i went 20 miles and my rear end killed so i got the padded inlay and that helped till about 30 miles then i just went padded spandex cycle shorts and could do 70 mile rides no prob other than having the energy to do it

it might look dorky as poo poo, but its comfortable

tho there are tourists who do ride in normal shorts n undies doing back to back 100 miles a day with no problems and they probably have no balls or rear end or something because drat

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

numberoneposter posted:

The most real cyclist are the DUI guys wearing a hardhat, a safety vest, and their steel toe boots riding whatever they found that rolls to the job site.

Also, guys on a Friday biking down on the shoulder of a four-lane highway in rush hour traffic holding their 10-speed handlebars with one hand and a brown paper bag with two sixers in it in the other.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

The Butcher posted:

Lol what's with the gear hate? Everyone knows it looks dorky as gently caress, but it works.

You try riding 50 kms and 1500m up a mountain in jeans or normal shorts, see what's left of your balls, taint and upper thighs after.

You ever see pictures from the Vietnam War?

Sometimes you just gotta look like a total wanker if you wanna play, nobody thinks it looks cool.

I've got Bearpope.

I'm cool as poo poo.

:awesomelon:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is there a dedicated bicycle subforum or set of threads where it would be better to ask this?

I'm thinking about getting a stationary bike trainer. I've already tried a set of rollers and I hated them, so I'm looking for something different to follow training sessions with some cardio when I start lifting again. The problem is my only really functional bicycle is a BMX (A Radio VALAC that I love very much). Taking into account the BMX gear ratio, it at all worth it to get a trainer that I can attach to this bike? Or should I just bite the bullet and have my dusty old Giant Seek3 taken in for a full overhaul?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

it wouldnt be worth the trouble to bodge a bmx onto a trainer

you might consider just a dedicated spin bike nothing fancy and just do training via heart rate

this is the bichael thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933899

but in my expert opinion you should get your bike fixed up and do as much training outside as possible, i understand that not everyone can though, but i mean for me its Death Before Zwift

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 6, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

numberoneposter posted:

it wouldnt be worth the trouble to bodge a bmx onto a trainer

Thanks for the prompt reply and for pointing me to that thread. Why exactly is it not worth the trouble? Is it the gearing as I said, or are there no trainers that will fit the smaller wheel diameter?

If it's the gearing, honestly I'm not that hung up on having Serious Resistance. As I said this will generally be following intense weightlifting sessions that already end with some HIIT/dumbbell complexes to get the cardio in, so the bike will mostly be more of a cooldown thing.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

The wheel size part I'm pretty sure, cause the trainer has to go through the axle to hold the bike on the resistance thingy. Never seen a non 700c wheel trainer, I'm sure it's out there but gotta be pretty unusual

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://i.imgur.com/oREJEeY.mp4

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I could do that

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm genuinally torn which was cooler, the jump, or the dismount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
new hotline from one of the best to do it on a sick custom Ti bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrOFEiZzazA

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 6, 2022