Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Persiflagist posted:

What does "I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!" mean

I had covid and was on a ventilator when I bought it, can't remember what I was thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Thanks, I really appreciate it. It looks as if those 4 Mil ones I linked (https://www.gloves.com/collections/clearance/products/dark-blue-nitrile-gloves) have that symbol ($65 for 1000). And the ones I've been using for the past 2.5 years don't lol.

nice. bookmarking this.

there are also a bunch here https://www.fishersci.com/us/en/catalog/search/products?keyword=ASTM+F+1671

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Heh, I’m in danger!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

kreeningsons posted:

the gloves need to be certified to EN ISO 374-5 VIRUS for protection against viruses. Certification to just EN ISO 374-5 is just for bacteria and fungi. The box needs to have VIRUS below the biohazard symbol. Alternatively they can be certified to ASTM F 1671 (the American version of the standard) and should be marked with ASTM F 1671.

https://www.ansell.com/-/media/proj...292d806ac347314

I distinctly remember having a box that was certified for virus protection, but i used them up pretty quick and it went out of stock. I can't figure out where I got them. These are the ones I use now https://www.jendcosafety.com/6-mil-black-nitrile-pip-grippaz-skins-gloves-67-246-50-box/ but they are not virus certified, only bacteria/fungi.

Lol hospitals don't give a gently caress about any of this it's just cheapest available.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
washing my hands to protect myself from the monkeypox

getting monkeypox through the cuts on my hands because of too much handwashing

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Joementum posted:

it's kind of funny that we've decided to repeat the "it's not airborne" mistake

what mistake

it clearly wasn't a mistake

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

https://www.gloves.com/collections/clearance/products/dark-blue-nitrile-gloves So are these virus certified?
And I'm confused, how can gloves be airtight but not virus-proof?
Also if someone can help me out here, for those of us who don't have alcohol based hand sanitizer, is dish-washing soap still good like it was back when we thought COVID was fomite-based? Or was that just due to COVID being lipid based? If it's not good, what hand sanitizer is good and cheap?

These are good. They have the virus symbol

i'm going to see if i can get a hold of that standard and read through to see why. airtight gloves might very well be virus proof, but getting certified to the ISO or ASTM standard is a whole other thing that all glove manufacturers might not bother doing.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

There's no evidence yet that monkeypox is airborne

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

I’m sorry is this person researching if Walmart partnered with a black owned flavor enhancer company for 1 flavor of Walmart ice cream?

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

wearing my EN ISO 374-5 VIRUS and ASTM F 1671 certified gloves, calmly taking them off at the table of the restaurant, and neatly folding them beside my plate, so that I can enjoy brunch

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

kreeningsons posted:

These are good. They have the virus symbol

i'm going to see if i can get a hold of that standard and read through to see why. airtight gloves might very well be virus proof, but getting certified to the ISO or ASTM standard is a whole other thing that all glove manufacturers might not bother doing.

Though I just noticed, above the virus symbol it has the chemical certification code, not the virus one. Could that mean they're not real?

Love having to figure this out on the fly. If only 2.5 years ago (or any time in the past 2.5 years) the government purchased a whole bunch of good ones and distributed them to everyone in the country, whether it be for COVID (when they were claiming it was fomite driven) or for potential future pandemics.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
fyi

findcovidcare.com to get your telehealth for paxlovid wraps for the day at 8pm ET. after that, you'll get a call first thing in the morning

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lmaoo

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
I feel like I've been walking around with cloth masks on my hands for the past 2.5 years. Embarrassing!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Shear Modulus posted:

better be careful and act as if it isn't

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I feel like I've been walking around with cloth masks on my hands for the past 2.5 years. Embarrassing!

I just bought a new box of Mr. Clean nitrile gloves, I guess I'll have to give them to my roommate to clean litter boxes with :negative:

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Stereotype posted:

better be careful and act as if it isn't

don’t wear a mask or you’ll infect yourself

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Shiroc posted:

washing my hands to protect myself from the monkeypox

getting monkeypox through the cuts on my hands because of too much handwashing

Remembering back in 2020 when all the hand sanitizing was making my hands all dry and cracked and they would just split and bleed sometimes

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Though I just noticed, above the virus symbol it has the chemical certification code, not the virus one. Could that mean they're not real?

Love having to figure this out on the fly. If only 2.5 years ago (or any time in the past 2.5 years) the government purchased a whole bunch of good ones and distributed them to everyone in the country, whether it be for COVID (when they were claiming it was fomite driven) or for potential future pandemics.

No I think those gloves are good. What's the chemical certification code? I can barely see it, but they say EN ISO 374-5, which is the microorganism part of the protective glove standard, and because they say VIRUS that means the manufacturer elected to test for viruses in addition to bacteria and fungi.

https://guidegloves.com/en/knowledge/our-products/standards/en-iso-374-1-2016

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I’m sorry is this person researching if Walmart partnered with a black owned flavor enhancer company for 1 flavor of Walmart ice cream?

juneteenth is the day the last slaves in texas were emancipated. it sucked watching juneteenth go from a regional holiday to a succfest almost immediately in 2021.

this is just the poo poo cherry on top, i wasn't aware of a juneteenth ice cream jfc

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

not_superiority posted:

juneteenth is the day the last slaves in texas were emancipated. it sucked watching juneteenth go from a regional holiday to a succfest almost immediately in 2021.

this is just the poo poo cherry on top, i wasn't aware of a juneteenth ice cream jfc

I was using the Roku Juneteenth screensaver until last month when I learned about the cat screensaver

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

not_superiority posted:

well it took them a year to commercialize it because george floyd was murdered at the end of may 2020 so nobody had the time to bring any products to market in half a month

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

kreeningsons posted:

No I think those gloves are good. What's the chemical certification code? I can barely see it, but they say EN ISO 374-5, which is the microorganism part of the protective glove standard, and because they say VIRUS that means the manufacturer elected to test for viruses in addition to bacteria and fungi.

https://guidegloves.com/en/knowledge/our-products/standards/en-iso-374-1-2016

Oh I see, I was expecting to see the ASTM F 1671 over the biohazard symbol instead of the EN ISO 374-5, but I guess the VIRUS text makes it ok. I guess I should probably get them.

Those other gloves on fischersci you linked to have a seemingly too good to be true deal for medium ($8 for 100), and it is of course too good to be true - not available until the end of June.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Juneteenth is a paid holiday from work for me this year. I'll take any day off from the COVID pits that I can, although I'm sure I'll get to hear some boomers complaining that we don't get some white people holiday off.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
:perfect:

But where's the gay section for us gay goons to have monkeypox-free suck n fucks?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Juneteenth is a paid holiday from work for me this year. I'll take any day off from the COVID pits that I can, although I'm sure I'll get to hear some boomers complaining that we don't get some white people holiday off.

Do you not get Columbus Day off? That's like the ultimate white people day

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

just brainstorming here a little about ways to get infected. most people probably wash clothes first after they buy them but what about shoes? I assume any shoe I buy IRL or online was already tried and returned. can you catch a pox from a weeping foot wound?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Persiflagist posted:

What does "I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!" mean

They were harassing people itt for being too careful about covid and not wanting to get jumped by anti-maskers so someone bought them the most confusing red text ever in retaliation

not_superiority posted:

omg I know what Juneteenth is omg

I was asking if they were seriously researching to make sure Walmart was going to a black owned flavor additive company for this one flavor of ice cream because I think that’s what they did and I don’t know what they were expecting

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Shear Modulus posted:

well it took them a year to commercialize it because george floyd was murdered at the end of may 2020 so nobody had the time to bring any products to market in half a month

i figured it took so long because of supply chain issues

Trixie Hardcore posted:

omg I know what Juneteenth is omg

I was asking if they were seriously researching to make sure Walmart was going to a black owned flavor additive company for this one flavor of ice cream because I think that’s what they did and I don’t know what they were expecting

my bad, and yeah i fully expected that same conclusion. doesn't hurt to confirm it

funny story though, toooo many people that have lived in the galveston area for most of their lives didn't know what juneteenth was until biden made it a holiday last year. i remember being taught about it in school too lol

call_of_qthulhu has issued a correction as of 01:38 on May 24, 2022

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Iron Crowned posted:

Just remind them that Jesus was brown and they don’t complain about his holidays.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

lets just get some of that juicy iraqi hemorrhagic fever going and we can really get this party started

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shear Modulus posted:

Do you not get Columbus Day off? That's like the ultimate white people day

I do not at this time, although it seems that every few years the holidays we get are shuffled around (Juneteenth replaced MLK Day)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

T-Paine posted:

She's this idiot

She should absolutely not have custody of any children

I have bad news for you about the custodial system in family court

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

In the same way that there wasn't* evidence that smallpox was

* there was.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Trixie Hardcore posted:

idk which one they're talking about but this one is good so I put it in the OP
https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1528029335734697984

Huh, I have had Muge Cevik on my "consent manufacturer" shitlist along with Oster and Silver and a bunch of the other worst of the worst.

Did she pivot, or is she a mixed bag of takes

Danru
May 23, 2022

kreeningsons posted:

wearing my EN ISO 374-5 VIRUS and ASTM F 1671 certified gloves, calmly taking them off at the table of the restaurant, and neatly folding them beside my plate, so that I can enjoy brunch

The pustules on my skin burst gripping my fourth mimosa of the morning. The table assures me it's allergies (it's DC of course), I am relieved.

Open monke

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

kalensc posted:

Huh, I have had Muge Cevik on my "consent manufacturer" shitlist along with Oster and Silver and a bunch of the other worst of the worst.

Did she pivot, or is she a mixed bag of takes

column B

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m hundreds of replies behind because I’m on the road today, so feel free to laugh at me if there’s a “smoking toilet seat” now, but I think y’all are overreacting to learning of the environmental stability of poxviruses.

It’s not great, it would be convenient if the threat models for monkeypox and SARS-CoV-2 overlapped perfectly.

It is a nightmare to nurse someone with monkeypox, for one.

But the fomite stability is longstanding and baked into the R-naught of smallpox/monkeypox. Whatever is causing an apparent doubling time of twenty-four hours, it’s not fomites lying in wait and striking people who ride the bus for the next six months.

The nightmare isn’t fomite-spread monkeypox. It’s airborne monkeypox.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm going to go for a walk and try to think through the dumbest possible outcomes so I can be a prophetess of the next few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Seriously though can we get some information on what we should be doing WRT hand washing and clothes washing? Like do we need tyvek for a walk to the store? And for washing is soap and water good enough, or do we need some sort of alcohol based solution, and if so, what? Platystemon, have you any wisdom for us?

EDIT: And yeah, how can gloves be able to be blown up like a balloon, and thus airtight, but somehow not be proof against viruses?

EDIT 2 Thank you, I missed your post lol. Although yeah, what should we be using for hand washing? I seem to recall that the reason dish soap worked well was becuase COVID has a lipid shell? So do we need a proper hand sanitizer or is regular soap fine?