Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

drat new covids just as bad as old COVID? Word? That's crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

word?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

another year another milli

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

yeah my close coworkers are dropping like flies rn

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

oh my god

a coworker was just walking me about taking a RAT test last night because he felt like he had bad allergies/sinus stuff, it was negative. I dropped the info about swabbing your throat, then nose, and being sure to use two tests

lmao he is positive, after swabbing his throat at lunch.

(everyone has to wear n95s at my work, I should be okay)

amazing

i assume everyone at work is actively infected because either way it doesn't loving matter lol all I can do is wear an elastomeric and roll the dice every day

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

pretty cool how it's only going to get worse haha 🥴

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Soap Scum posted:

1. probably, but you are probably still infectious enough to not want to be around other people. i wouldn't risk it

2. no, get it as soon as you possibly can. the exact process you can use may depend on where you are, but for my friends, what worked was "go to findcovidcare.com, lie about having a bunch of comorbidities that they can't easily disprove such as asthma and smoker, pay the fee, wait a couple hours, pick up local"

i can not stress enough how important the "lie about having a bunch of comorbidities" part is. do not be a rules follower. there's no penalty for lying and the worst it could do is nothing. the worst the truth could do is permanently disable you. lying is the optimal strategy

If you like about being a smoked on that can that gently caress up your insurance or whatever

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

bunch of covid head assess

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

im the type of dad that thinks 1/10,000 chance of death is good odds

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

woke kaczynski posted:

So, I'm obliged to go to a conference for work at the beginning of June in Atlanta. I live in NYC, and my employer has helpfully informed us that if an employee catches COVID and has to quarantine, they will be responsible for any expenses of extended hotel stays/rescheduled flights/etc. As such, I decided to do a proper trial run in roughly comparable conditions. I figure that if my precautions are sufficient to avoid getting covid in this trial, then I might be able to white-knuckle it through the conference, and if I do come down with covid I can probably use that as an excuse to not go.

Naturally, I chose to conduct my extremely scientific trial at NYC Desertfest.

Equipment:

I wore my envomask, which has been my daily driver in situations where wearing the half-face respirator might be more trouble than it's worth. I also wore my glasses. I'm extremely nearsighted, to the extent that contacts alone don't really work for me, which is a shame because it means I can't wear a full face.

Strategy:

The venue had unlimited reentry which was critical to my plan of never removing the mask for any reason indoors, and only doing so outdoors and well distanced from any other attendees. I broke the seal precisely 4 times in those aforementioned conditions: twice for weed, once for hydration and once for drinking a vodka cranberry.

Trip Report:

I arrived at the venue at 5:00 PM.

You can see broadly how crowded it was, both earlier in the day and later after more people started coming through.

From casually scanning the crowd, there were maybe half a dozen cloth masks, a handful of surgical, 2 or 3 kn94s and one poor bastard in a bandana. Everyone was super friendly and excited to be going to shows again :shepicide: nobody gave me any poo poo for wearing the envo at least. I didn't experience any discomfort from wearing it for long periods except for humidity buildup at the very end of the night. I headed out at half past midnight. I also found the smell of general ambient air outside when I removed the mask to be noticeably stronger than anything inside with the mask on, even with inside being full of sweaty metalheads smoking weed, which was really rather reassuring and honestly a reasonable use case for masks beyond COVID.

Popping out during a set is a great way to ensure nobody else is around!

Notable Moments:

Mothership played an objectively killer set but also near the end they were calling folks to come up closer to the stage and (jokingly???) yelled "gently caress YEAH LET'S SPIT IN EACH OTHER'S FACES" to the cheering audience in what I would classify as an Extremely Cool Moment.

As I was getting ready to head out I struck up a conversation with a dude who'd come from Vancouver for the fest. We chatted about how loving awesome music was for a bit, and he asked if I'd be around for the rest of the weekend. I said probably, and tapped my face adding "I'll be the one with the mask." He chuckled kinda awkwardly, pulled a condom out of his back pocket and said "Don't worry, I got all the protection I need."

One dude asked if I worked there despite extremely clearly being dressed in the fashion of someone attending a show, I'm still undecided if that was because of the mask or because I'm Black tbh

Closing Thoughts:

This was definitely dumb as hell to do and if I get covid from it I'll let y'all know so you can laugh at me. I still prefer my approach compared to everyone around me who swears they're being safe without providing comparable specifics of how they're sharing air and who with. I also gotta take the subway to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time and that's with less ventilation in a more crowded environment so my brain's been melted for a hot minute.

The show definitely had more people actively being ridiculous than the conference will, but I'm honestly still concerned about being able to safely get outdoors and away from people to eat at the conference which wasn't really a concern with the show. I'm also bringing a portable air filter to the hotel room but idk

Live music is genuinely one of my favorite things and a great passion of mine and it's real hosed up thinking about everyone else there who shares that love, and how many of them are going to come down with covid and how many of them are going to develop lingering health issues on account of how we've all been failed and maliciously misinformed at every level

Literally the only minor inconvenience to me from my approach was not being able to get in the mosh pit safely, they could pretty easily have had some doors continuously open for improved ventilation + corsi-rosenthal cubes + drinking/smoking strictly outdoors + n95s at least for everyone and been orders of magnitude safer for no downside.

Anyway that's my story, I'll let y'all know how things pan out

lol just tell them you got covid right before you're supposed to go

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

uhh so the strat is definitely upload a real pic of a positive test and stash paxlovid on your shelf ASAP right?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Soap Scum posted:

i'm pretty sure you just say "yes i have covid" and don't even have to upload a pic of a positive test lol

if you had to upload a pic, no one over age 50 would ever succeed in using the service

word I'll do that cause like what if u pop positive on a Saturday lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

When the paxlovid doc calls what kinda questions do they ask about your risk factors

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

lol sup this elastomeric still good for the monkey pox?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

whats the cfr on moneypox

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

It would be cool if covid combined with monkeypox

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

drat surface transmission back on? looks like it's back to washing groceries and dusting off the pizza box oven

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

what's this about a nasal spray?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

the gay sex theory

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

its honestly not reasonable to expect anything other than the worst possible outcome

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

cant believe grocery washing is back on the table and it's not for covid lmao

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

pretty funny how desperately the cdc wants to throw gays under bus, at any cost, rather than entertaining that it's airborne lol sike it's not that funny

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Raiad posted:

why would you need to quarantine 5 days after rebounding if you only need to quarantine for 5 days to begin with

people still quarantine? Lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

oh word?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

surely the world will do something about THIS virus

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

drat, in 2022? Word

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Looks like a bunch of anime industry guests got infected at A-Kon, the convention in Texas

drat people caught COVID at a convention? poo poo

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

hellotoothpaste posted:

So, like… I was in a department store the other day, buying poo poo and then leaving… I looked at my watch and it said 9 o’clock.

It took me 20 minutes to determine whether it was AM or PM. So that sucks.

just look outside

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

100% immunity nice

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

kf94 straight up isn't good enough indoors

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

thats crazy dude

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Auras with the headband cut and turned into ear loops outperform every kn95 and kf94 by a country mile.

Is there a guide for this?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Mumbling posted:

Regarding mask chat, I’ve somewhat given up on my GVS Ellipse and it’s now a backup mask if 3m auras someday become a rare commodity. My 3M 9210 just fits so much better and I’ve seen enough tests on YouTube where it reaches 99%+ filtration to feel safe.

If I end up getting sick, that “how pure can pure be” scene from Breaking Bad is going to live in my head rent free.

Try a North Honeywell elastomeric, silicone is a lot more comfortable

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Insanite posted:

quotin' this as i'm interested in any findings for my headband-hating wife

https://encycla.com/3M_Aura

Looks like you cut the head straps in the middle, tie them off and then use those silicone cord locks they sell for other ear loop masks

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Just lie and say you have covid

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

lying solves a lot of issues

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

hey I did that thing with the aura straps and cord locks and it's surprisingly good, maybe good enough to get my hair cut in-between waves (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Zodium posted:

finally get to post one of these :nsacloud:

recently my so's work had a big lunch that was very important to have face to face, which of course she didn't go to. afterwards they sent out a long mail talking it up that was like "great lunch everyone, so happy to see all your faces, thanks for coming, things are finally returning to normal. also btw uhh Colleague just tested positive for corona, so uh maybe get tested! haha hopefully it's fine. ok see ya at the office."

nobody cares, people come to work visibly sick with covid and it is what it is. elasto up and roll the die