Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah this episode was great; it really feels like the show is giving the main characters enough time to show that they're working hard for what they want. I think one of the biggest things that I like about the show as a whole so far is that they don't always have Kongming as the viewpoint character, since I feel invested enough with Eiko to want to see her journey just as much as I want to see Kongming's stratagems. I haven't watched too many isekai, but if the stereotype of the main character being super powerful for any situation is accurate, then I'm glad that the show isn't always doing that.

Heck, Kongming basically only showed up for one or two scenes in this one, and it really made me wonder where he lives or how close he is to Steve Kid if he could hang out with him like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It seems like Kongming makes friends pretty easily and is the kind of guy who'll pitch in when you have a problem that needs solving. As for living situation he probably has a place, I mean assuming The Owner pays him for all his work at BB.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kwyndig posted:

It seems like Kongming makes friends pretty easily and is the kind of guy who'll pitch in when you have a problem that needs solving. As for living situation he probably has a place, I mean assuming The Owner pays him for all his work at BB.

Kongming is renting a spare room at the BB Lounge to live in (I think this came up in the anime when Eiko was looking for him on her day off). In the manga several volumes have a little omake where Kongming frustrates a real estate agent by trying to find an apartment that is both super cheap and close to the train station (you can see the one from volume one here.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Tree Goat posted:

i was gonna keep doing lacan stuff as a bit but ep4 literally ends with a long monologue about desire, personal pronouns, and ego-formation in context of absent mother/father figures so now i don't know what to think

as an update, this episode had eiko and kabe discuss how they both felt that they were missing a piece of themselves that would make them whole, a piece that others seem to effortlessly possess, but were unable to articulate the precise nature of that missing quality using language. eiko even has a dream of an infinite climb up an unreachable mountain of self-perfection.

how does this keeps happening, are they loving with me

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

as an update, this episode had eiko and kabe discuss how they both felt that they were missing a piece of themselves that would make them whole, a piece that others seem to effortlessly possess, but were unable to articulate the precise nature of that missing quality using language. eiko even has a dream of an infinite climb up an unreachable mountain of self-perfection.

This, too is part of Kongming's strategy.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

Not gonna lie, I hope they keep loving with you, because your posts are educational and I really appreciate it. Don't think I ever heard about Lacanianism until I read all your posts a second time and then looked it up, legit very cool analysis!

The only other thing I saw from looking up other discussions on this episode is that that scene was a reference to Avicii, but I'm uncultured enough to not know who that was either, tbh.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

BlackPersona posted:

Yeah this episode was great; it really feels like the show is giving the main characters enough time to show that they're working hard for what they want. I think one of the biggest things that I like about the show as a whole so far is that they don't always have Kongming as the viewpoint character, since I feel invested enough with Eiko to want to see her journey just as much as I want to see Kongming's stratagems. I haven't watched too many isekai, but if the stereotype of the main character being super powerful for any situation is accurate, then I'm glad that the show isn't always doing that.

Heck, Kongming basically only showed up for one or two scenes in this one, and it really made me wonder where he lives or how close he is to Steve Kid if he could hang out with him like this.

After thinking about this for a couple of days, I've come to the following conclusion: Kongming is not the protagonist. He doesn't really change, he doesn't really grow, he's not the one whose desires are driving the story forward. Instead it's Eiko that's the protagonist; it's her desire to grow as a musician and fulfill her dream that moves the story along. Kongming is instead the deuteragonist, the companion who's always with the protagonist and helping her reach her goal. Heck, he fills the same role in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, where it's Liu Bei's ambition that he's attempting to fulfill.

I think this is also what makes his Holmseian bullshit more enjoyable. It doesn't matter if his stratagems sometimes come off like he can read the script, because the story isn't "How Kongming made a nobody into a star" but is instead "Eiko uses Kongming to fulfill her dreams".

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's pretty common for the titular character to be the deuteragonist, see like every romcom with the girls name in the title

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Nemo2342 posted:

After thinking about this for a couple of days, I've come to the following conclusion: Kongming is not the protagonist. He doesn't really change, he doesn't really grow, he's not the one whose desires are driving the story forward. Instead it's Eiko that's the protagonist; it's her desire to grow as a musician and fulfill her dream that moves the story along. Kongming is instead the deuteragonist, the companion who's always with the protagonist and helping her reach her goal. Heck, he fills the same role in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, where it's Liu Bei's ambition that he's attempting to fulfill.

I think this is also what makes his Holmseian bullshit more enjoyable. It doesn't matter if his stratagems sometimes come off like he can read the script, because the story isn't "How Kongming made a nobody into a star" but is instead "Eiko uses Kongming to fulfill her dreams".

Kongming is (benevolent) Mephistopheles to Eiko’s Faust, hence why he makes her do so much to articulate her own desires before acting on them

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A protagonist doesn't have to change or grow to be the protagonist, plenty of static characters are protagonists. That said I agree with Nemo, Eiko is obviously the actual protagonist here.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
our boy kongming is a very funny plot device. what ancient chinese battle stratagem, poem, or herbal folk remedy will he apply to our modern world next?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
This show has one very serious flaw - at no point is Kongming wearing any of the sick outfits from the OP. 2/5

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Yet

He's been going through the glasses after all.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

grate deceiver posted:

This show has one very serious flaw - at no point is Kongming wearing any of the sick outfits from the OP. 2/5
in a matter of months, you are about to appear very foolish

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I love Kongming and Eiko, they make a good team. Kongming got the smarts, Eiko got the talent, and the two of them together are building a powerhouse act.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Kwyndig posted:

I love Kongming and Eiko, they make a good team. Kongming got the smarts, Eiko got the talent, and the two of them together are building a powerhouse act.

also: eiko makes a lot of goofy faces, and kongming does not make a lot of goofy faces. very important dynamic to balance out

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It's basically a Jeeves & Wooster story

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Asterite34 posted:

It's basically a Jeeves & Wooster story

Which is good because Jeeves and Wooster stories are great and funny.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Which is good because Jeeves and Wooster stories are great and funny.

Of course, unlike Jeeves, Kongming appreciates his employer's musical talent.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWjsgujSyPo

MOU IKKAI

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Extremely in to the idea that Kongming is always just out of frame or hiding behind a plant, watching.

And waiting.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Coca Koala posted:

Extremely in to the idea that Kongming is always just out of frame or hiding behind a plant, watching.

And waiting.

And yet somehow you never notice him, despite the fact that he's always in his cosplay.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I wonder how many nights he was up on that viewing platform in that mascot costume, waiting for Eiko to finally turn up. :v:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Binged through this today. Surprise AOTY contender for me, way more emotional than I expected going in. Was tearing up a good bit the last two eps.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

aw man

I don't think that guy is sima yi after all

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

dudes rock

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Coca Koala posted:

And waiting.

lmfao

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well he hasn't had time/funds to build a spy network so he has to do all his information gathering himself.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Another episode that is almost entirely anime-original, but it does nicely flesh things out.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I really enjoyed the rap. I know it's hard to translate that funky fresh flow but I appreciate the localization.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
when is my boy kongming getting that loving jag

also Sekitoba rules. what a loving bro.

e: aw hell yes we finally get the nanamin ED ver. after the tease last ep

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 3, 2022

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
What a good episode. I really love how they've been expanding and fleshing things out, giving more characterization to both Eiko's crew and Azalea.

Also, they've been hiding this in plain sight for the whole season (spoilers for today's episode):

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Say, has anyone checked the QR codes to see if they actually lead anywhere?

Doodles fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 10, 2022

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Doodles posted:

Say, has anyone checked the QR codes to see if they actually lead anywhere?

They just lead to the official site for the anime https://paripikoumei-anime.com/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nemo2342 posted:

What a good episode. I really love how they've been expanding and fleshing things out, giving more characterization to both Eiko's crew and Azalea.

Also, they've been hiding this in plain sight for the whole season (spoilers for today's episode):

drat

It's not like it's exactly an obscure story either. Youtube link (spoiler for today's episode)

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

drat

It's not like it's exactly an obscure story either. Youtube link (spoiler for today's episode)

I know it's not exactly obscure, I just thought it was really funny that they've had it on display all this time.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
psychoanalysis of this ep will have to wait until i come to grips with the fact that their strategy to recover attention was to play trapaholic triple airhorns

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nemo2342 posted:

I know it's not exactly obscure, I just thought it was really funny that they've had it on display all this time.
Yeah, I'm just annoyed at myself for knowing that the anime plot required Kongming to pull 100,000 of [something] out of thin air against all odds and not making the connection :v:

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Tree Goat posted:

psychoanalysis of this ep will have to wait until i come to grips with the fact that their strategy to recover attention was to play trapaholic triple airhorns

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
hip-hop
people